• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Doubles Partners?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on characters who synergize well with Bowser in doubles.

Was thinking about this today, what characters have other people had success teaming with and what unique interactions do both characters have?

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
I did play a bit of doubles but I cant say who are the best partner. Tough, I can tell you some cool tricks you can do with him in doubles.

-Bowser firebreath can heal a lot Lucas and Ness
-Bowser Side B can be directed into a powerful Usmash like Lucas and you can jump out of your sideB before getting hit and your opponent will receive full damage of that usmash. You can also footstool your opponent right after hit or downb
-Bowser need someone who can break combo or goes in to help bowser not getting combo to death
-Bowser can bowsercide people when the team has stocks advantage. (4 stocks vs 3 stocks is better than 5stocks against 4stocks)
-Bowser dthrow can lead to combo with your teamate
-Bowser can do a lot of damage or kill if your teamate sends you an opponent.

I didnt play doubles that much so far but its what I learned from them.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
At first glance Bowser seems like someone who can stock tank but realistically he usually get's double combod and dies early. My best doubles partners have been super fast characters who can come save me when that's going down. Instead of playing the stock tank it's best to play the gimper and kill people at like 30%. It's a format that actually encourages a lot of YOLO Fsmashes, bairs and bowser bombs.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
I've had some experience with Bowser/Jigglypuff teams and when it works it works well. Bowser has to lay off usmash so as to not hit Jiggs, and stay grounded while Jiggs takes care of the aerial game. Together they should create a wall. Bowser's uthrow also gives Puff an easy assist opportunity - she can rack up damage on the person during the animation with carefully spaced aerials, or intercept as they're thrown upwards. The multihit animation generally protects Bowser and gives Puff enough time to get in place, and with some practice I wouldn't be surprised to see that made into a rest setup. Also, Bowser can leave the edge guarding to Puff and focus entirely on ground game.

Given a ground/air team combo, Yoshi might also work alright.

The main problems for Bowser in teams are getting combo'd to hell and damaging one's teammate. Bowser's attacks have range, coverage and power making friendly fire especially common and unfortunate. I don't think there's any team combo that avoids these fundamental problems.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I've actually had a lot of success with Little Mac as a partner. Really risky but you get a huge amount of stage control, absurd damage output and stocks drop like flies (on both sides if things go wrong)

Bowser can go offstage and aerial fortress Mac if he's at risk but it's pretty easy to keep Bowser out. It's actually very difficult to separate both characters though. As long as Mac maintains center stage, no one can really hit Bowser without getting hit back.

Last edited:

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Ash23 and vaBengal make me believe that ZSS is a legit partner because of their insane team combos and s***. If either one gets a grab and their opponent's partner isn't around, then that's a truckload of damage or a stock. Not to mention she's fast enough to keep Bowser out of trouble most of the time.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Bowser's well designed for casual free for alls, so I find him to be better suited to doubles than other heavies like DK and Charizard. I don't play competitive doubles, but when I do it casually, my typical partner runs Bowser Jr for our Father Son Bonding Exercise. It's not a very effective team, but it's taught me how well Bowser can work in tandem with a partner. Maintaining a frontline for Jr to charge up a 20% damage cannon behind you (and of course dodging it if you're still in its flight path). Coming down on people with aerial Fire Breath in time with Jr's Clown Kart advance. Timing a Bomb to land on whoever steps up to block an incoming Mechakoopa.

ZSS seems to be the ideal partner. She's swift and has the air statistics and flip kick to move over and around Bowser's mighty moveset, especially if he keeps to the ground. Bowser lands a stray hit from the ground that knocks the target in the air, and there she is, chaining Uairs into an Up B. Her Bury and Stun attacks lend Bowser some extremely powerful punishes, more powerful moves than she could ever land on her own. If Bowser catches an opponent in Fire Breath and ZSS is right behind, she can flip kick over for some serious damage. It's a little ironic that our worst matchup in Singles happens to be the best partner in Doubles. Strange bedfellows and all that.

There are a lot of doubles partners that I don't think Bowser syncs with. Namely the long range zoners such as the links and Villager. You might think an aggressor paired with a zoner makes for a balanced team, but both are crippled when working together. Bowser wants to take the frontline, and they can't shoot past his large frame. So Bowser's only option is to put himself between his two opponents. And Bowser is garbage when surrounded. Maybe Robin could show promise as a partner. I just really really want to be the guy who follows up from that arcthunder.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I played Robin in doubles with a Bowser and I kept shooting him with Thoron and he wasn't happy about that.

I think Robin's a bit too slow to be an effective partner, but I don't necessarily think he's bad.

Maybe I will pick up ZSS.

Boozer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevilBoozer
3DS FC
4124-5214-3831
Can confirm wasnt happy about getting shot with thorons (dog)

TheKingofKoopas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bowser5566
3DS FC
0001-3508-1615
I just won a local doubles tournament two days ago.
Pretty much any character that's fast and can combo, helps if they're good in the air.

My partner is a Lucina/Mario main, so he would switch off every now and then. Both worked, but his Mario was really good because FLUDD + Bowser's fsmash shenanigans. :p

Kooky Koopa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koopa1989
3DS FC
4184-2976-0132
From my own experience, Rosalina, Ness and Captain Falcon make remarkable partners for Bowser.

Rosalina provides control of both the air and excellent means to get Bowser out of a tight situation due to her strong attacks mid-air. Furthermore, Bowser compliments Rosalina by acting as a giant damage sponge. Although this puts him into harms way and can see him die, it allows Rosalina to remain safe and free to give out damage and Bowser can continue to act as both a buffer and as a damage dealer in the scrums.

A similar principal applies to Ness, except Ness can not only be healed by Bowser but his PK thunder also ensures anyone Bowser knocks up is likely to have issues getting back done. PK fire as well can lead to some pretty brutal set ups.

Finally, Captain Falcon is fast, adds combo potential to the team where Bowser would lack and allows huge stage coverage due to his speed. This also allows him to get Bowser out of potentially dangerous situations where he is being outmatched against his opponent.

I don't have much experience with other partners but this would be my two cents.

xskippo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Skippo
3DS FC
3067-6320-6409
I once beat Mr_R and his dubz partner at a tourney a few months ago while teaming with a Bowser Jr (biggest teams achievement ever :3).
Though i have to say that I like teaming with (fast)characters that have sick aerial game like mk, zss or sheik.
My standard doubles partner is a mk and our special trait is the "spin to win" I Up B oos and he follows up with his uair string into shuttle loop as i send the target to him.

Top Bottom