• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

edsett

Smash Apprentice
While King Dedede is more of a selfish greedy jerk than true evil like Dark Matter - King Dedede is more recognizable as the major antagonist than Dark Matter. (Meta Knight as well who is more of an anti-hero mentor/rival figure than anything.)
I would also think that recent Kirby final bosses take more influence from Marx than anyone else.

I would recommend for Dark Matter to be in its swordsman form than its true form.

D

Deleted member

Archer is super simple, just press down, enter Hitman, and lame them out as much as you possibly can. Some fights Hitman won't work on but those are easy fights to avoid attacks. Speaking of Hitman, don't use it if they're on top of you, just wait behind cover because Kirby is vulnerable while shooting from behind it. Also, get out of it and run if they use any attack that will grab you or send you off screen, as those go right through it.
YOU SAVED ME! ...kinda.

I made it to the VERY LAST round and I barely got hit.
I made it to Soul of Sectonia and I lost the Archer ability right before she starts teleporting like Marx. It was during the very last section where platforms were removed and my Ability fell off the screen. I made it to the very final form of Soul of Sectonia... but I gave up due to low health.

So yeah... I failed. I will eventually do it again, but I just need to cool off. You don't even know how ticked I was when victory was in my grasp and then it was taken away from me.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I'd love for the Swordsman form to come back, it's my favorite version of Dark Matter. Though it was only in Dreamland 2. Sadly fighting him again in Dreamland 2 isn't satisfying because Dark Matter is one of those bosses that will kick your butt the first time because you don't know what to do, then every other time you'll breeze through it easily with no effort at all in future playthroughs (which is my problem with Dreamland 2 and 64 in general [haven't played dreamland 3 for long])

Personally I'd like to see Dark Matter as a Stage boss more than anything else, because it suits his fights in comparison to other fights in the Kirby series.

Kirby final Bosses sure do love recycling moves from previous bosses. Though when it comes to Marx, later bosses I've only seen them stealing his Black hole move. Marx stole the teleporting from Nightmare (and Marx is pretty well known for teleporting, but not everyone has played Kirby's Adventure).

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
YOU SAVED ME! ...kinda.

I made it to the VERY LAST round and I barely got hit.
I made it to Soul of Sectonia and I lost the Archer ability right before she starts teleporting like Marx. It was during the very last section where platforms were removed and my Ability fell off the screen. I made it to the very final form of Soul of Sectonia... but I gave up due to low health.

So yeah... I failed. I will eventually do it again, but I just need to cool off. You don't even know how ticked I was when victory was in my grasp and then it was taken away from me.
Aww dude why.

Soul of Sectonia is laughably easy once she starts her Marx business. If you lost your power, most likely due to the electric pod attack (when you reach that stage of the plant one, stay in the middle, otherwise you'll take a BS hit and lose your power). , the cutters Soul throws in her Marx form can be absorbed to give the Cutter ability. Honestly, her Marx form is probably the easiest soul form out of Marx, Drawcia, Magalor and her, she attacks slow and almost everything is heavily telegraphed

You can do it, one more time and you got it!

The most important Battle in the entire True Arena is Dark Meta Knight. If you can get to him with at least one recovery item and can beat him with 25% of your health left, you can win the rest easily.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Aww dude why.

Soul of Sectonia is laughably easy once she starts her Marx business. If you lost your power, most likely due to the electric pod attack (when you reach that stage of the plant one, stay in the middle, otherwise you'll take a BS hit and lose your power). , the cutters Soul throws in her Marx form can be absorbed to give the Cutter ability. Honestly, her Marx form is probably the easiest soul form out of Marx, Drawcia, Magalor and her, she attacks slow and almost everything is heavily telegraphed

You can do it, one more time and you got it!

The most important Battle in the entire True Arena is Dark Meta Knight. If you can get to him with at least one recovery item and can beat him with 25% of your health left, you can win the rest easily.
The electric pod attack was the one that screwed me over! I was being pushed around and I had little room to breath. They pushed me off the stage and I didn't have much time to recover. So, I took the hit and lost the Ability. You don't even know how frustrated I was when this happened. Then I sucked up the Cutter Ability in the final phase and that was useless.

Honestly, Dark Meta Knight wasn't that hard. I didn't get hit as much. I hid most of the time and strikes when necessary.

Neo Zero

The electric pod attack was the one that screwed me over! I was being pushed around and I had little room to breath. They pushed me off the stage and I didn't have much time to recover. So, I took the hit and lost the Ability. You don't even know how frustrated I was when this happened. Then I sucked up the Cutter Ability in the final phase and that was useless.

Honestly, Dark Meta Knight wasn't that hard. I didn't get hit as much. I hid most of the time and strikes when necessary.
I hear others who have lost their powers just used the projectiles she leaves, since she takes a ton of damage when she gets hit by pretty much anything

Also while Hitman does dodge it, the pods will push you, so you'll have to actually dodge them when they pound together, then just stay to the side while they pound up/down

D

Deleted member

I hear others who have lost their powers just used the projectiles she leaves, since she takes a ton of damage when she gets hit by pretty much anything

Also while Hitman does dodge it, the pods will push you, so you'll have to actually dodge them when they pound together, then just stay to the side while they pound up/down
When I get back to her, I will try to dodge her attacks. I'll probably stay on the ground and jump as soon as the pods start to attack. I don't like to dodge in this game as the Smash Bros.-esque dodging mechanics feel unnatural here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Zero

When I get back to her, I will try to dodge her attacks. I'll probably stay on the ground and jump as soon as the pods start to attack. I don't like to dodge in this game as the Smash Bros.-esque dodging mechanics feel unnatural here.
You weren't kidding, the cutter is useless against her. Just went and re did it with Parasol, lost my power, used cutter and my god it's awful lol. Still won though.

You can hit her vines as Im sure you noticed, thats your best chance for damage. You can also hit her when she's doing her Drawcia attack where shes a flaming ball, but it's hard depending on the weapon. Still any and all damage helps

D

Deleted member

You weren't kidding, the cutter is useless against her. Just went and re did it with Parasol, lost my power, used cutter and my god it's awful lol. Still won though.

You can hit her vines as Im sure you noticed, thats your best chance for damage. You can also hit her when she's doing her Drawcia attack where shes a flaming ball, but it's hard depending on the weapon. Still any and all damage helps
I know that I can do that. The critical part is whether or not I can survive the electric pod attack with my Ability in hand. If I can, the final part will be easier. I'll try the True Arena soon, I just need a break from the game after my devastating loss.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
This doesn't really matter, but I made a full sprite sheet for a playable Bandana Dee for Kirby Super Star Ultra. It is pretty old, like 3 years old I believe.

edsett

Smash Apprentice
I'd love for the Swordsman form to come back, it's my favorite version of Dark Matter. Though it was only in Dreamland 2. Sadly fighting him again in Dreamland 2 isn't satisfying because Dark Matter is one of those bosses that will kick your butt the first time because you don't know what to do, then every other time you'll breeze through it easily with no effort at all in future playthroughs (which is my problem with Dreamland 2 and 64 in general [haven't played dreamland 3 for long])

Personally I'd like to see Dark Matter as a Stage boss more than anything else, because it suits his fights in comparison to other fights in the Kirby series.

Kirby final Bosses sure do love recycling moves from previous bosses. Though when it comes to Marx, later bosses I've only seen them stealing his Black hole move. Marx stole the teleporting from Nightmare (and Marx is pretty well known for teleporting, but not everyone has played Kirby's Adventure).
I was more referring to more overall boss concepts rather than moves. Marx started the whole Soul business (although Zero did come back from the dead first) and how Magolor is Marx 2.0 and there are numerous references to Marx in most Kirby games following Super Star. Drawcia had a lot of her moves copied though.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
This doesn't really matter, but I made a full sprite sheet for a playable Bandana Dee for Kirby Super Star Ultra. It is pretty old, like 3 years old I believe.

I actually derived the palette for my little GIF from this sprite sheet.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Haven't posted in here for a while. Just wanted to drop in and suggest that, in the unlikely even of BD being playable AND getting a unique victory theme, it should be this.

Wow, this looks really good. Kudos!

Neo Zero

A 10 second theme is a bit long. Iirc, the longest was Snake at around 5 seconds? A remix of that making it shorter (and giving every character an unique victory theme) would be very cool though.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Hey guys, I was thinking about E3 and I realized that Meta Knight is not necessary for Bandana Dee's reveal because it can be a double reveal like the Charizard and Greninja trailer :0
I can't wait for E3! It's so close!

Morbi

Scavenger
Hey guys, I was thinking about E3 and I realized that Meta Knight is not necessary for Bandana Dee's reveal because it can be a double reveal like the Charizard and Greninja trailer :0
It was never necessary in the first place. They could always just reveal Bandanna Dee first. The notion that Meta Knight had to come first was always so arbitrary.

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
That Would be awesome!

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
That's what I thought of too. Hopefully that comes true with the announcement of a Kirby WIi U game.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Kirby Wii U with Bandana Dee in it as playable character or a Kirby 64 remake with Bandana Dee replacing Waddle Dee!
I'm excited.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
A 10 second theme is a bit long. Iirc, the longest was Snake at around 5 seconds? A remix of that making it shorter (and giving every character an unique victory theme) would be very cool though.
The longest victory theme I want to say is the Fire Emblem one. It's about eight seconds. Either that, Yoshi's, or Brawl's Legend of Zelda victory theme. All of them are about seven or eight seconds.

D

Deleted member

Confirm him, Shulk, Meta Knight, and Wario and this will be the best E3 ever.

edsett

Smash Apprentice
I wish that a Kirby Wii U game to be announced at E3 but with this very interesting interview out; it seems that we probably will not get an announcement.
I would like to think that the Wii U Kirby will bring back the multiplayer option with the same characters and ideally a minigame where you can play as Bandana Dee and in the last level fight his shadow like in Dedede Tour.
After playing TD, I realized that they removed the triple spear throw from the spear ability moveset. I'm just going to think that the triple spear throw is Bandana Dee's signature move now lol.

Neo Zero

The longest victory theme I want to say is the Fire Emblem one. It's about eight seconds. Either that, Yoshi's, or Brawl's Legend of Zelda victory theme. All of them are about seven or eight seconds.
I have no idea why I brought up probably the shortest theme as the longest. I clearly needed more sleep lol

Why isn't Sailor Dee part of that game D: ?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So it is becoming obvious to me that Bandana Dee probably shouldn't/will not be a simple spear user.

I keep seeing comments against Bandana Dee consisting of "It's just waddle dee with a spear." In that regard, they have a point.

How many people who aren't fans of Bandana Dee want to play as a character who just waves a stick around? A lot of the new characters have something interesting about them. Wii fit trainer has an interesting fighting style as well as a power up move. Little Mac has super armor and his one-hit KO punch. How exactly do you stand out against that with just a spear? I would personally be glad with just having a playable Bandana Dee, but you got to think bigger.

Lucky for us, Sakurai has been shown to think outside the box like with Dedede's Jet hammer and Meta Knight using shuttle loop from the wing ability. Just because he has been shown only using the spear doesn't mean he can't use other abilities. He can be like a Mother character and just borrow other Waddle Dees' moves. Though with that said, he still needs something special.

While I'm still figuring out what could be the big special thing Bandana Dee could have, I do think I have a way to make him appealing to non-Bandana Dee fans.

Having a moveset consisting of Spear, Parasol...and Beam.

Now, a moveset consisting of Spear and Parasol isn't unheard of, but beam certainly is an out there idea. After all, can Bandana Dee use magic?

However, I think it fits considering that Waddle Doos, Parasol Waddle Dees, and Spear Waddle Dees are the most common of the Waddle Dee family. They even combine sometimes with Parasol Waddle Doos and Parasol Spear Waddle Dee.

So what's the big deal about Beam? Well it is flashy. That means that it is more likely to pull in more people then just an umbrella and a stick. It also can potentially allow him to pass without anything too special just in case Sakurai can't think of anything else.

So then here's the problem. The beam, parasol, and spear are all different weapons. There are two solutions though.

Multi-Purpose Stick
If King Dedede's hammer can be modified with a jet engine, then I see no reason for Bandana Dee's spear to be able to transform into an umbrella or a wand. After all, they are all sticks. :p

The main problem is that it would probably look weird constantly changing. The spear would be the obvious default.

From Thin Air
Instead of carrying a weapon by default, he holds...nothing. He's just a simple Waddle Dee with a Bandana Dee. However, he will pull the weapons from thin air when he needs them. This has the added bonus of not needing the Beam Rod and will allow Bandana Dee to just use his mind. The main problem with this is how it would be perceived. I noticed that people don't like the idea of Toad because his movesets seem to be involving pulling items from thin air as well.

Now while I don't have a complete moveset with me since that require thinking incredibly hard on each ability. However, I do have a sample.

First, all standards and aerials are a mixture of Parasol and Spear and just a little bit of beam.

Now for the fun part.

Specials:
B: Energy Beam
Side B: Spear Throw
Up B: Spear Copter/Parasol
Down B: Moon Drop

Grab:
Grab: Parasol
Forward: Capture Beam
Up: Circus Throw
Back: Back-thrust
Down: Parasol-Twirl/Simple Body Slam (Resembles a normal Waddle Dee jump)

The problem with labeling the standards is that there are a little bit too many possibilities. For example, the down aerial could be either Moon Drop or Parasol Dive. The Dash could be either Cycle Beam or Parasol Drill. I'll just leave that alone.

Final Smash:
This is certainly interesting. There are many different ways this could go if Sakurai doesn't make something completely up.

Landia:
My personal favorite. Landia would essentially work a little like Super Dragon. Except with stars. Would nice because it references the series's space shooter stages. :3
With Return to Dreamland getting content, as well Landia getting a cameo in Triple Deluxe, I don't think it is impossible. Especially if Another Dimension becomes a stage. <3

Flare Beam:
If beam is a part of his movesets, I don't see why we should exclude this possibility. Especially with Kirby using the ultra sword now. Would work like Volt Tackle.

Helper to Hero:
Depends on what angle Sakurai decides to promote Bandana Dee in. Would essentially involve all/most of the Superstar helpers. Becomes problematic with Knuckle Joe being an assist trophy.

King Dedede's:
King Dedede gets Masked Dedede, Bandana Dee gets his old one.

Waddle Dee Tank:
I personally don't like this one. Sounds too much like Landmaster. :/

I would like to reiterate that I am fine with just a spear Bandana Dee. However, I really don't want to see heavy backlash towards this character and I think he has enough to prove he isn't just a helper. He is a hero. :)

Lastly, even if he doesn't include Beam, I would still like to see Parasol. :3

Neo Zero

So it is becoming obvious to me that Bandana Dee probably shouldn't/will not be a simple spear user.

I keep seeing comments against Bandana Dee consisting of "It's just waddle dee with a spear." In that regard, they have a point.

How many people who aren't fans of Bandana Dee want to play as a character who just waves a stick around? A lot of the new characters have something interesting about them. Wii fit trainer has an interesting fighting style as well as a power up move. Little Mac has super armor and his one-hit KO punch. How exactly do you stand out against that with just a spear? I would personally be glad with just having a playable Bandana Dee, but you got to think bigger.

Lucky for us, Sakurai has been shown to think outside the box like with Dedede's Jet hammer and Meta Knight using shuttle loop from the wing ability. Just because he has been shown only using the spear doesn't mean he can't use other abilities. He can be like a Mother character and just borrow other Waddle Dees' moves. Though with that said, he still needs something special.

While I'm still figuring out what could be the big special thing Bandana Dee could have, I do think I have a way to make him appealing to non-Bandana Dee fans.

Now, a moveset consisting of Spear and Parasol isn't unheard of, but beam certainly is an out there idea. After all, can Bandana Dee use magic?

However, I think it fits considering that Waddle Doos, Parasol Waddle Dees, and Spear Waddle Dees are the most common of the Waddle Dee family. They even combine sometimes with Parasol Waddle Doos and Parasol Spear Waddle Dee.

So what's the big deal about Beam? Well it is flashy. That means that it is more likely to pull in more people then just an umbrella and a stick. It also can potentially allow him to pass without anything too special just in case Sakurai can't think of anything else.

So then here's the problem. The beam, parasol, and spear are all different weapons. There are two solutions though.

Multi-Purpose Stick
If King Dedede's hammer can be modified with a jet engine, then I see no reason for Bandana Dee's spear to be able to transform into an umbrella or a wand. After all, they are all sticks. :p

The main problem is that it would probably look weird constantly changing. The spear would be the obvious default.

From Thin Air
Instead of carrying a weapon by default, he holds...nothing. He's just a simple Waddle Dee with a Bandana Dee. However, he will pull the weapons from thin air when he needs them. This has the added bonus of not needing the Beam Rod and will allow Bandana Dee to just use his mind. The main problem with this is how it would be perceived. I noticed that people don't like the idea of Toad because his movesets seem to be involving pulling items from thin air as well.

Now while I don't have a complete moveset with me since that require thinking incredibly hard on each ability. However, I do have a sample.

First, all standards and aerials are a mixture of Parasol and Spear and just a little bit of beam.

Now for the fun part.

Specials:

Grab:

The problem with labeling the standards is that there are a little bit too many possibilities. For example, the down aerial could be either Moon Drop or Parasol Dive. The Dash could be either Cycle Beam or Parasol Drill. I'll just leave that alone.

Final Smash:
This is certainly interesting. There are many different ways this could go if Sakurai doesn't make something completely up.

Landia:
My personal favorite. Landia would essentially work a little like Super Dragon. Except with stars. Would nice because it references the series's space shooter stages. :3
With Return to Dreamland getting content, as well Landia getting a cameo in Triple Deluxe, I don't think it is impossible. Especially if Another Dimension becomes a stage. <3

Flare Beam:
If beam is a part of his movesets, I don't see why we should exclude this possibility. Especially with Kirby using the ultra sword now. Would work like Volt Tackle.

Helper to Hero:
Depends on what angle Sakurai decides to promote Bandana Dee in. Would essentially involve all/most of the Superstar helpers. Becomes problematic with Knuckle Joe being an assist trophy.

King Dedede's:

Waddle Dee Tank:

I would like to reiterate that I am fine with just a spear Bandana Dee. However, I really don't want to see heavy backlash towards this character and I think he has enough to prove he isn't just a helper. He is a hero. :)

Ahah, I get it. Point, Spears have points!

That awful joke aside, nice moveset ideas mate.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Multi-Purpose Stick

From Thin Air

Now for the fun part.

Specials:

Grab:

Final Smash:

Landia:

Flare Beam:

Helper to Hero:

King Dedede's:

Waddle Dee Tank:

Look at my suggested moveset for Bandana Dee in the OP. All of his normals and tilts will use his Spear, while his smashes use his Parasol. He also gets a shotzo for his side-B.

Top Bottom