• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You guys missed what I said entirely. I still don't think BD would be more unique than Magolor. And I don't think it's because I'm biased towards him.

The fact that Zelda and Robin (and Ness and Lucas, if you wanna count them) use forms of magic doesn't downgrade Magolor's potential. Zelda has a unique projectile, being able to challenge from a distance, has a reflector that can be used to rapidly wrack up damage, and has a teleportation spell with massive knockback. This gives her potential to fight from any distance, though primarily long range. I'd say she's best at dishing out chunks of damage at a range, making her best at chipping. Robin has a chargeable projectile with multiple stages, each stage having multiple unique applications. A fire spell to disrupt movement. A wind spell to attack effectively from above and spike. But each spell has limited uses, making Robin ineffective at chipping. But unlike Zelda, he's not incompetent up-close. All these qualities make him a strategic zoner.

The above arguments prove one important thing: Robin and Zelda have drastically different playstyles. The possibilities of what can be done with Magic users are endless. Traditional melee weapons are much more limited, however.

The reason I don't believe BD has potential to be unique is because what a spear is at the core is a melee weapon with unparalleled range. There's not a whole lot they can do with that. We already have a ton of ranged melee weapon users, with one more underway via DLC. Link fills the role of destructive and versatile, being able to adapt to many different playstyles, whether it be power-housing, chipping, or a combination of both. Marth fills the role of spacer with his tipper mechanic, forcing players to mind their distance if they want to play him effectively. Meta Knight fills the role of rush-down close-combatant. In Brawl, he filled the role of undefeatable, with his combination of speed, priority, and strength. If BD were to be included, Meta Knight would be the one out of the bunch he's be least like. Lastly, Ike fills the role of ranged power-house.

As you can see, there's not a whole lot of spaces for Bandana Dee to fill. He certainly has potential to have a unique moveset, but most of the balance contribution he would give would be shared with Ike, Marth, and Link. I suppose the only way to save him from the gutter are the specials. But if you make them center on spear tossing, or using various gadgets the Waddle Dees have used throughout the generations, you have a smaller, lighter, less powerful Link with a bit more range. If you give him the tipper, which would be completely pointless given the spear's nature as a thrusting weapon, he would be be a smaller, lighter, less powerful Marth who would most likely have a few projectiles. He might be able to be pulled off then. I don't think he would work as a powerhouse or even a glass cannon, so that's pretty much out of the question.

This isn't to crush your hopes for his inclusion though; he could still be pulled off. Sakuri has exceeded our expectations before. The only way I think Bandana Dee could be reasonable to include is if Sakuri goes and gives him some unexpected but reasonably creative quirk with his specials. But I really can't see that happening. Sorry, deeple.

Magolor, on the other hand, has so much potential within reason. His playstyle could be that of an annoying trickster, which would be absolutely perfect. For his up special, he could have some kind of mirror move which teleports him upwards. (or wherever you tilt the stick) If someone else is close by on the other side of the mirror, they could switch places with him. I can see Robin using Elwind offstage, and then Mags using his up special after Robin becomes helpless, sending Mags back to the stage, and Robin to his doom. His neutral special could be where he creates a black hole that sucks players towards it. He could compliment this by having smash attacks that work most effectively the closer you are to him, making the black hole the start of a deadly finisher combo. On top of that, it could suck in projectiles to grow in size and range. His down special could be a simple mirror or portal based reflector that deals damage similarly to Nayru's Love. A counter could work good, too. Lastly, his side special could be a teleportation move on the lines of Shadow Sneak or Dimensional Cape, but would have the movement range of Din's Fire. These, and the close range smash quirk would make Magolor an epic counter to most projectile-centric character's and rush-down character's. That is the kind of balance contribution I honestly, as someone who plays For Glory a lot, think the game would benefit from.
Saying this in the nicest possible way, but if you're going to shamelessly plug you're own thread, at least be more subtle about it.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
sounds good.

Do you know whats sad? If bdee is confirmed sunday, we wont be doing all of this. Moveset ideas, music loving, hoping, wishing, straw grasping. All the fan stuff disappears... Man, that will be hard :/
Fan stuff for before he gets confirmed disappears, but fan stuff for Bandana Dee as a character in Smash will start flooding the internet! Don't be sad, Jiggly. It won't be the end, it'll be the beginning!

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Fan stuff for before he gets confirmed disappears, but fan stuff for Bandana Dee as a character in Smash will start flooding the internet! Don't be sad, Jiggly. It won't be the end, it'll be the beginning!
:c still... Idk, my character will be bigger than ever, which is great, but what we have now, idk if I'm ready to move on. Soon it will be, just gone maybe. I mean, the mewtwo hype died and people of the mewtwo community have quieted down, and I'm afraid it might happen to us...

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
:c still... Idk, my character will be bigger than ever, which is great, but what we have now, idk if I'm ready to move on. Soon it will be, just gone maybe. I mean, the mewtwo hype died and people of the mewtwo community have quieted down, and I'm afraid it might happen to us...
If Bandana Waddle Dee is a playable character in Smash Bros., that hype isn't dead. Mewtwo fans haven't been squealing over Mewtwo being in Smash Bros. as loudly anymore because it's an accepted, amazing part of their reality now. It's like the choice between getting a new girlfriend or seeing one you've been dating for years--one isn't as "hype" worthy, but it's by far the better feeling knowing it's true.

Being in Smash Bros. is the highest honor that can be bestowed on any Nintendo character, period. Since this community isn't going anywhere even after BWD gets confirmed, there's no reason to feel sad about finally seeing the collective dream of the hundreds of us come true!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Let's also not forget that in the end, regardless of how some things are more deserved than others, Sakurai's the one still at the helm of Smash Bros. It's exactly why we have little to no post-2003 Kirby content in Smash Bros. and why Kid Icarus has more characters added in 2 Smash games than Donkey Kong has had in all 4.
There is a double-edged sword, here, unfortunately.

I can imagine how a Smash roster might be with someone else at the helm, and it looks frighteningly like Mario Kart 7's and Mario Kart 8's - unnecessary cuts of well-known characters (Diddy Kong, Funky Kong), coupled with them being replaced with common enemies and oddball choices (Wiggler, Honey Queen), baby versions of existing characters (every plumber and princess has one, now), and/or new skins (some of which would have made for better power-ups) for existing characters (Metal Mario, Tanooki Mario, Pink Gold Peach, Cat Peach, Dry Bowser) who get to take up a roster slot whilst other skins (Yoshi and Shy Guy variants) do not.
(I oppolagise for the Shulk joke but with Xenoblade Chronicles on the mind it's the first thing that popped into my head.)
I laughed. :laugh:

And now you have a sign. A Magical Starsign. (Somehow I doubt anyone will get this.)
I got it! (It's not my sort of thing, but I do know of it!)

@All of the moveset discussion: I'm pretty sure that there's a much better way of explaining what's so often termed as "uniqueness". Specifically, it seems to me that it's better explained by using a term that used to be referred to by some game-designers as "Toy Factor", or similar names. Since Smash is about the imagined battles of a guy playing with plushes and, later, action figures, it's always struck me that Toy Factor is part of the key to the series' design.

The simplest thing to do is imagine yourself picking up a character in toy form, imagine what they can do and what articulation and features they have (within the bounds of real-world toys), look at what makes them fun, and go from there. ;) (Just for fun, take a moment to look at how the cute and cuddly characters are probably more plush-inspired, and how the action-hero types are probably more action figure-inspired, too. The whole toybox vibe is fun.)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's like the choice between getting a new girlfriend or seeing one you've been dating for years--one isn't as "hype" worthy, but it's by far the better feeling knowing it's true.
I think it's better to say 'always wanting to win the lottery and then winning the lottery'
As someone on Spoon Sword Social, trust me. Things get ugly, especially with this one homophobic and hypocritical person yelling we aren't playing aggressive enough, that Ganondorf is fast and that Robin's a good rushdown character. Lots of times we argue whether Mewtwo's average or terrible

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Now that we've got past the needless ranting phase, let me ask something: What's the first thing you'll do if/when Bandana Dee is confirmed?

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
sorry for my absence, Thursday's my last day so oll have more freetime and I have no more homework, im a lurker anyway, I made a twitter account, what else can I do? shantae is confirmed anyway, imo I've given up on smashified, we can still request him, but we should focus COMPLETELY on getting him well known, we can ask popular kirby fans to talk about him, did travis get more requests after smashified? no. lets spam the vote, I don't have a lot of experience in sprite comic making, but I can make one and get the dee requested.

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
Now that we've got past the needless ranting phase, let me ask something: What's the first thing you'll do if/when Bandana Dee is confirmed?
I'd reply here in all caps, then post his trailer here as well. I'd eat my shoes, spend a day destroying a building, then finish up no-scoping all the deetractors. Funny thing is, I do all that stuff on Tuesdays.

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Welcome Spinda. How are you? Good to see a new supporter. Our plans? Tell people about Bandana Dee, get him Smashified, and hope he gets in. He's got a 50% chance.
Thanks! I've already forced convinced a bunch of friends to vote for him, but I'll make sure to spread the news more. I'll help Spamming Smashified to get him to finally do the dee-d. Yeah sure i can help with tweeting at Smashified.

Also, I've been thinking of a moveset for him and may post it soon.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
watch bandana dee get announced sunday other wise I think it's ryu and wolf as a safe guess with a 3rd character announced roy? but really hope for bandana dee

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
watch bandana dee get announced sunday other wise I think it's ryu and wolf as a safe guess with a 3rd character announced roy? but really hope for bandana dee
Roy will probably be announced at the Fire Emblem Anniversary Exposition later this year. Masahiro Sakuri himself is set to speak there.

And I don't think the Sunday stream will announce that much as far as specific characters go. I think that Sakuri just wants to discuss where he plans on going with DLC, for the most part. I do expect to see one DLC character reveal, though.

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
What will happen to this thread if Bandana Dee is announce: Tears of joy, images and gif and vids everywhere and all around happiness and celebration (If it really happens we should throw a party then deploy an attack on gamefaqs). I can just imagine.

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Roy will probably be announced at the Fire Emblem Anniversary Exposition later this year. Masahiro Sakuri himself is set to speak there.

And I don't think the Sunday stream will announce that much as far as specific characters go. I think that Sakuri just wants to discuss where he plans on going with DLC, for the most part. I do expect to see one DLC character reveal, though.
That makes sense, but still, we can hope *crosses fingers*

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Honestly Ryu and Roy are probably some on the most boring DLC characters.
Ryu- standard fighting game character with a no brainer moveset
Roy- Marth clone (which we already have)

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836

Okay listen, this is completely unrelated but
Why do you keep calling Sakurai Sakuri? :drwtf:

Last edited:

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Honestly Ryu and Roy are probably some on the most boring DLC characters.
Ryu- standard fighting game character with a no brainer moveset
Roy- Marth clone (which we already have)
Hey, someone who has simmilar opinions about Ryu and Roy. Yeah, if they were gonna add Roy, Lucina couldn't have been a thing. Two clones from the same character is a little too much. Also, no-brainer movesets are snoozefests. *yawn*

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
The weird thing is, people actually want that to happen.
The only reason I can think of is that people have good memories from playing him in melee and want him in this game to make the roster similar to "the best smash bros game", and for that they completely ignore Lucina and want him just cuz nostalgia. My opinion though.

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
It's because they're Melee nerdbois who feed on nostalgia. The more Smash has, the more it will appeal to said nerdbois. 99% of them have never even played Binding Blade.
Okay this is stupid
People who want Roy in the game, actually LIKE Roy as a character :glare:
There are more than Melee elitists
This is a BD thread stop talking this, is rude :ohwell:

Last edited:

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Fair enough, I guess :drshrug:
Also, guys Roy COULD be unique, or at least a semi-clone
And Ryu would be unique and interesting and that comes from someone who hates him :dizzy:
Still, that would still make Marth an over replicated character, so even if he was a semi clone, you would now have 3 simmilar characters with essentialy the same base playstyle, and thats never a good thing. But I do have to agree with Ryu. If they put some thought into his moveset, he can actually be unique, but if not, oh boy am I gonna be mad.

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Okay this is stupid
People who want Roy in the game, actually LIKE Roy as a character :glare:
There are more than Melee elitists
This is a BD thread stop talking this, is rude :ohwell:
Not Sure if you are saying that just becouse you want him in the game and don't want your expectations lowered by negative comments or legit want this off-topic talk to stop. Still, not the thread for this disscusion. Now, moving on...

Last edited:
Top Bottom