• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balloon Fighter for DLC! R.I.P. Mr. Iwata

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
ssb4_banner__balloon_fighter_by_pixiy-d68o1vd.png
Come here to show some love to Nintendo's own Balloon Bud
:drohyou:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:drsad:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:drohyou:

Before we get into any Balloon Fighter related info, I would like to take some time to remember former Nintendo CEO, Satoru Iwata. It's fair to say it's been a hard past weekend for Nintendo fans and even video game fans out there, including myself. Mr. Iwata had been dealing with health issues for the past year and missed out on gaming conventions like E3 2014 because of his health. He's even gave us some insight to how he's been dealing with it, and would always give us some good news. Unfortunately Iwata's death on July 11 (Saturday) all caught us in shock, since it was so unexpecting. So let's take some time to honor him. He's helped create some of Nintendo's most memorable games, like Earthbound, Kirby Adventure, the Mario Kart franchise, even contributions to the Smash franchise, etc. that continue to grow in popularity to this day. He had such a passion for the company, and strived to make it more than a gaming company. He even cut his salary in half because Nintendo was in a downfall, and he still regains his smile. How can you not call that dedication? It's arguable he's the biggest contributor in the gaming industry; even other gaming industries like Sony or Microsoft admired him. I think it would only be right to think of the legacy Iwata has left behind. So go play a Nintendo game; It could be anything. But always remember what video games are meant to be: fun. Fun for everyone. So go and play something and have FUN, it's only what he would want. Nintendo Directs will never be the same without him :(. It's hard to think of Nintendo without Iwata...
Rest in Peace, Iwata-san. Thank you for our childhood, and in return, we give all our love and memories directly to you.
Iwata... ;(.jpg

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."

:drohyou:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:drsad:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:drohyou:

~Now that I've gotten that off my chest, you may be wondering, "That tribute to Iwata was nice and all, but what does all this have to do with Balloon Fight?" Mr. Iwata was the famed creator of Balloon Fight, believe it or not. Balloon Fight holds a very special place in my heart as the first game I've every played, and remains my all time favorite video game to this date. In fact, this was the first game Mr. Iwata had programmed. I believe adding Balloon Fighter as a character would not only give Smash another old-school representer to bring something new to the table, but also bring honor to Mr. Iwata. Mr. Iwata's contributions and legacy will remain in our hearts forever. Thank you for the memories.

~Balloon Fighter is one of the most iconic old-school Nintendo characters to live. Making his debut in the NES classic in 1984, Balloon Fight grew to be one of the most successful games on the system. Balloon Fighter, I believe, has a lot of fighting potential. Yeah, yeah, I know, that's a phrase you probably hear a lot, but think of it this way. All Nintendo characters or even third-party characters could be given iconic and cool moves. Think of Duck Hunt. That was probably a character you've never thought you'd see in Smash Bros. I'll admit, when I heard Duck Hunt was confirmed, I was in disbelief. "How could a dog fight in Smash Brothers?" I thought to myself, but after seeing it's creative move-set, it makes me think why other characters shouldn't be given something iconic like that? I'm sure with a little creativity, Balloon Fighter or even other characters could be given the perfect moveset.

Movesets~
Here you will find fan-made move-sets. If you would like me to submit your's post it below!

A-money2121's moveset
~Now if I were Sakurai, I would make a moveset similar to the many elements of Balloon Fight. But I'm not Sakurai... However, I would like to give my thoughts on how Balloon Fighter could benefit as a great and unique fighter for Smash 4. Here are my thoughts for attributes and a moveset.

~Traits:
Because Balloon Fight takes place in the air, I would assume giving Balloon Fighter good air mobility and great aerials would just about seem right. The number of balloons he has can also determine his weight and air-mobility. Just like in the regular game, Balloon Fighter can have up to two balloons.

As mentioned, Balloon Fight takes place in the air, so I figured that Balloon Fighter could have the most jumps out of every fighter. Below I will put his stats:

Dash: 1.218: Sluggish, about Ganondorf's speed.
Jump: Sorta low, similar to how high Link can jump.

Air mobility/speed: Varies depending on Balloon quantity:
No Balloons: Not very far, like Diddy Kong
One Balloon: Pretty good, like Mario
Two Balloons: Excellent, slightly better than Jigglypuff

Aerials: Great overall, good at dealing air combos like Mario.
Ground attacks: Fairly weak, similar to Jigglypuff.
Killing potential: His air combo game can rack some good damage on opponents. His Smash Attacks are great and may by capable of killing at percentages around 100%. He does a better job killing enemies at higher percentages, and has a better time combo-ing characters with low percent.

Throws: Grab range is pretty average. Throws are weak and cannot kill, unfortunately. But they may be useful combo starters.
Weight: His weight varies depending on how many balloons has. Overall, he is a very light character.

No Balloons: 75
One Balloon: 72

Two Balloons: 70

~Specials:
Up-B: Pump

Most up-bs are recovery moves, but some are not. Most notably, Jigglypuff's and Yoshi's up-bs are not recovery (ok, maybe Yoshi, but not Jigglypuff) and both truly rely on their jumps to recover. I was thinking about Balloon Fighter being similar, since I really didn't want to think of something too identical to Villager's recovery. By using up-b on the ground, BF (Balloon Fighter) will grab his handy pump and begins pumping up a balloon by pressing b. After a few minor pumps, one balloon is pumped. After pumping one balloon, you can press up-b again to pump another. One balloon will give BF a total of 4 jumps and 2 balloons will give BF a total of 7 jumps, which I believe are the most jumps any character has received. BF with no balloons, however, only has two jumps -- his second jump would be like a weak, but silly looking flutter jump. Now let's say you were to use up-b in the air while you've got balloons. Your balloons will then pop, dealing heavy damage to anyone above. Once the balloons are detonated, BF will gain a small vertical boost in the air, then his parachute will deploy. If you were to use up-b in the air without any balloons, BF will not be able to damage fighter above him nor get a vertical boost, but his parachute will still deploy. The balloons can also be popped by enemy attacks, but the balloons are somewhat sturdy, so at the very least it may take more than one, two, or even three hits to pop one balloon. Since BF's attacks are better in the air, his ground game would be iffy, similar to Jigglypuff.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Down-B: Flipper

If you have ever played Melee or even the original Balloon Fight, you might remember the Flipper. This move's functionalities are similar to Melee's, except not as much of a nuisance. By placing the Flipper down, it does one of two things: the flipper can deflect projectiles and launch it in a random direction; It could either launch back to the person who's sent it, launch up-ward, go horizontally; who knows. Two: the flipper can also hit opponents, but it wouldn't launch them very far. When coming in contact with an opponent or a projectile, the flipper will begin to spin rapidly. It's not a kill move, nor does it hurt a lot, but it makes for a useful projectile barrier -- or barrier in general -- and is a nice combo starter. And, of course, the flipper is only there for a temporary amount of time.
Side-B: Lighting Bolt

If any of you played the original Balloon Fight, you probably noticed the thunderclouds around the stage. Occasionally, those thunderclouds would shoot lightning bolts in a random direction. BF could also utilize such bolts. Using side-b would shoot a slow-moving lightning bolt horizontally, except it would move a tiny bit faster in this game. It functions quite similar to Pikachu's thunder jolt, except the bolt would be traveling in the air and would deal a ton more knockback.

Neutral-B: ???

I have not thought of any special for Balloon Fighter as of yet -- but I certainly will add it when I've thought of one. Suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

SmashRiver64's moveset
Game of Origin: Balloon Fight (NES)

MAIN GIMMICK: BALLOONS
Balloon Fighter starts the battle with (and can hold a maximum of) 2 Balloons. Each Balloon is impossible to pop (Unlike Villager, whom is able to get his balloons popped by other fighters) but Balloon Fighter can choose to explode a Balloon for a Powerful Attack (IE is Smash Attacks and maybe a Meteor Smash) at the cost of his recovery potential, but he can get Balloons Back with his Neutral Special. Balloon Fighter's Jumping and Recovery ability changes depending on if he has 2, 1 or No Balloons.

MECHANICS
Balloon Fighter, regardless of Balloons:
Weight: Around 85 (85 = Same as Zelda and Sheik)
Size: A little bit smaller than Dr. Mario
Speed: Around Olimar's area

Balloon Fighter with No Balloons:
Jumps: 2 (Not including Up Special)
Jump Height: Around Ganondorf's area
Floatiness: Again, around Olimar's area

Balloon Fighter with 1 Balloon:
Jumps: 3 (Not including Up Special)
Jump Height: Around Dedede's area
Jump Floatiness/Air Speed: Around Mr. Game & Watch's area

Balloon Fighter with 2 Balloons:
Jumps 1 and 2 Height: Around Luigi's area
Jump 3 Height: Around Greninja's area
Jump Floatiness/Air Speed: Around Jigglypuff's Area

SPECIALS
Up Special: Balloon Jump - Balloon Fighter uses a Balloon pop to propel himself upward!
With 2 Balloons: Almost exactly like Mr. Game & Watch's Parachute. You lose 1 Balloon but are able to attack while you fall.
With 1 Balloon: You jump the height of Luigi's Up B, but you can still move left/right freely. You lose your Balloon and go into Helpless State.
With No Balloons: Basically the equivelant of trying to use your Up Special as Olimar in Brawl when you have no Pikmin. You fall into Helpless State.

Neutral Special: Pump - Balloon Fighter pumps up a new Balloon!
With 2 Balloons: Nothing happens.
With 1 Balloon: Balloon Fighter pumps up a new Balloon, can be sped up by mashing B, but not that much. Takes about 1 second when mashing.
With No Balloons: Balloon Fighter pumps up a new Balloon, can be sped up greatly by mashing B. Takes about 1/3 of a second when mashing.

Side Special: Spark - Balloon Fighter tosses a Spark to shock his foes!
Moves rather slow, but functions similar to PAC-MAN's bell when it hits (And causes alot of damage)
No Balloons Required.

Down Special: Flipper - Balloon Fighter places a Flipper down as a trap that lasts about 10 seconds!
An opponent touching the Flipper damages and launches them, but Balloon Fighter has no interaction with it.
No Balloons required.

FINAL SMASH: FISH
Balloon Fighter's Balloons turn Gold (Signifying that you now have infinite jumps) (If Balloon Fighter was missing any Balloons, they are automatically given to him upon using the Final Smash) and the Fish from Balloon Fight starts to chase under Balloon Fighter. The goal here is to fly above your foes, which will cause the Fish to lunge out of the 8-Bit Water (Which appears in the foreground when the FS is active) and deals a massive blow to whoever the Fish hits. If you get hit by the fish yourself from standing on the ground too long (Or the FS' time runs out), the Final Smash ends.

Zzuxon's moveset
Notes: Has 5 jumps, and a flipper on his belt that he uses for some attacks.

Neutral Special: Blow Up/Pop Down: The center of Balloon Fighter's main mechanic, this move allows him too switch between having 1 and 2 balloons. If he currently has 1, he blows up a second, if he has 2 he pops 1. Having 1 balloon cause BF to lose aerial mobility, though even with one balloon his aerial movement is very high by the rest of the cast's standards. However, he also becomes heavier and more difficult to KO.

Side Special: Slow Zap: Referencing the lightning clouds in Balloon Fight, he rubs his balloon(s) against the back of his head and shoots a small lightning spark out of his hands. It moves slowly, like in the original game.

Up Special: Overinflate: BF gradually feeds more helium into his balloons, causing him to rise until the balloons can't take it anymore and pop. He gets new balloons when he hits the ground.

Down Special: Exploding Balloon: BF blows a balloon, ties it, and lets it go where he is. The balloon has a picture of an explosion on it for good reason, it will explode on contact with an opponent or projectile. It remains stationary, moving neither up or down. BF can't have more than 3 out at once.
Magikarpow's moveset
Character: Balloon Fighter
I took move inspiration from Balloon Fight, Balloon Kid, and Balloon Trip Breeze (Nintendoland).

Speed: Slow - Around Zelda or Villager's Speed
Air Speed: Fast - It would be around the best in the game. Akin to Wario and Jigglypuff's air speed.
Jumps: Balloon Fighter would have 2 jumps regularly. With 1 balloon, he would have 3 jumps, and with 2 balloons, he would have 5.
Weight: Balloon Fighter weighs more when he has less balloons. Regularly, he would be a bit heavier then Mario. With one balloon, he becomes around the weight of Marth. Finally, with two balloons he would become among the lightest characters in the game, around Kirby level.

Jab A: Balloon Fighter slaps the opponent. 1%
Jab AA: Balloon Fighter double-slaps the opponent. 2%
Jab AAA: Balloon Fighter finishes off the combo with a nice kick. 5%
F-Tilt: Balloon Fighter punches the opponent with a boxing glove. 6%
U-Tilt: Balloon Fighter slaps his hands upwards. 8%
D-Tilt: Balloon Fighter slaps his hand on the ground and a little shockwave appears in front of him. The shockwave causes decent knockback.
Melee: 6%
Shockwave: 4%
Dash Attack: Balloon Fighter rushes forwards and body slams the opponent. 9%
Ledge Attack: Balloon Fighter quickly rushes on and kicks forward. 6%
Get-up attack. Balloon Fighter twirls around on the ground as he gets up. This attack does more damage with balloons.
7% without balloons, 9% with one, and 12% with two.

Nair: Balloon Fighter twirls around. 7%
Fair: Balloon Fighter punches out his hand forward. It has an electric effect. 11%
Bair: Balloon Fighter flaps/slams his hands downwards behind him. This move is quite fast, and has a weak meteor smash. 13%
Dair: Balloon Fighter kicks downwards. Great KOer with Strong Meteor Smash. 14%
Uair Balloon Fighter claps his hands above him. 7%

Grab: Balloon Fighter reaches forward and grabs.
Pummel: Balloon Fighter slaps the opponent. 3%
Up Throw: Balloon Fighter ties a balloon to the opponent, that flings them upwards. 3% They continue to keep going up unless they mash A and destroy the balloon. The higher the opponent's percent is, the harder it is to mash the balloon.
Forward Throw: Balloon Fighter makes a flipper appear behind him, and then he grabs the opponent, throws the around into the flipper, which shoots them forward. 11% This can KO at around 140% on the edge.
Back Throw: Balloon Fighter takes the opponent, twirls around three times, then sends them flying backwards. 7%
Down Throw: Balloon Fighter throws the opponent to the floor, then slams his hands down, creating a shockwave that launches them skyward. 11%

Up Smash: Balloon Fighter takes out a green balloon and begins pumping. It grows bigger and bigger until it explodes. Large radius. 15-19% Good KOer, starting lag.
Side Smash: Balloon Fighter claps his hands to the side. 14-18% A little laggy.
Down Smash: Balloon Fighter charges up a super stomp. Lots of ending lag, but very powerful.
13-17%

Neutral Special: Thunder Ball- Balloon Fighter charges up an spark ball. He shoots it forward, dealing electrical damage. 3-10%

Side Special: Balloon Twirl- Balloon Fighter launches himself forward, spinning wildly. This attack does more damage with balloons. It does around 6% without balloons, 9% with one, and 14% with two. This move can not be spammed.

Up Special: Flipper Launch- A flipper appears below Balloon Fighter and propels him upwards. Other characters can get hit by the flipper and it lasts around 5 seconds. It doesn't deal damage, only knockback.

Down Special: Blow Up -Balloon Fighter squats down and starts to blow up a balloon. After a few seconds it attaches to Balloon Fighter. He can have a maximum 2 balloons. If they are directly attacked, they pop. Once he has balloons, Balloon Fighter gains more jumps, and a few of his attack change.
His Nair, his Uair, his Up Special, and his Down Special change. Also, if Balloon Fighters balloons are attacked from above, they can break. A good player should be able to keep the opponent away from the top of their balloons.

Uair: Balloon Fighter swats at opponents upwards with his balloons. Does more damage and knockback with two balloons. 6,9%
Nair: Balloon Fighter flaps his hands. This also move can be used multiple times quickly and lowers Balloon Fighters decent speed. You can use this to control Balloon Fighter more easily. 2%

Up Special: Balloon Drop -Balloon Fighter releases one of his balloons he had. It flies upwards, and does small damage if it hits anybody on the way. If Balloon Fighter releases his last balloon in the air, he falls to the ground in a helpless state.3%

Down Special: Air Release - Balloon Fighter lets the air out of one of his balloons, sideways. While this does no damage, it has a very strong windbox that could be useful for gimping. This move can only be used when you have two active balloons.

Final Smash: Fish Flood
Balloon Fighter gains two balloons, and the stage starts flooding. Balloon Fighter flies upwards, safe from the water. The stage floods halfway and the opponents are left in the water. The player now takes hold of Balloon Fighter (who has infinite jumps) and they can drop large chunks of meat in the water which cause huge fish to come out of the water and to swallow the foes whole. If an opponent stays idle to long, they get automatically eaten. Getting eaten is an instant KO.

Palette Swaps~ (soon)
Pending...
Counter Arguments~
"Why add Balloon Fighter when Villager's up-b gives him enough credit?"
~This is a VERY commonly used excuse around the community, and it's not really fair if you ask me. Yes, Balloon Trip seems like the most obvious recovery for Balloon Fighter, but in the contrary, it doesn't need to be. Take a look at Captain Falcon. His entire moveset was literally originated in the Smash Brothers franchise. Falcon Dive and even Falcon Punch were never featured in a single F-Zero game, ever. Fox and Falco's side-b were also originated from Smash Bros. Robin's down-b, also a Smash exclusive. The point I'm getting across is that Balloon Fighter's recovery doesn't need to be a carbon copy of Villager's recovery. Take a look at the movesets above and notice how the up-b's are very different to Villager. I took advantage of the fact that not all up-bs are recoveries, or how @Magikarpow uses to flipper as a recovery, etc. I think using Villager as an excuse to rat out Balloon Fighter is ridiculous.
Magikarpow's response:
Villager's Up-Special - Just because Villager uses balloons from Balloon fight, that doesn't rule out Balloon Fighter. In fact, many movesets created for Balloon Fighter don't use Balloons for the Up-B, and the ones that do attempt to differentiate themselves from Villager's Up-B.
"Sakurai once stated that making a moveset for Balloon Fighter is too difficult."
(This was recently mentioned to me in a private message)
~The same was said about Pac-man during Brawl's development, and look at where Pac-man is now. If the same creativity for Pac-man was placed onto Balloon Figher, he could become a fully unique character.

We will answer more questions when we find more. For now, please understand!
Supporters~
We are the Balloon Fighters! (aka The Supporters)
1. @ A-money2121 A-money2121
2. @ D Darth Nightmaricus
3. @Speedwagon
4. @ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong
5. @ -crump- -crump-
6. @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
7. @ Thelimomon Thelimomon
8. @ Bedoop Bedoop
9. @ kylexv kylexv
10. @ Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan
11. @ MOI-ARI MOI-ARI
12. @ POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA
13. @ shinhed-echi shinhed-echi
14. @ bksbestbwoy bksbestbwoy
15. @TheAnvil
16. @Magikarpow
17. @toadster101
18. @oni333
19. @Zolijinx
20. @Nintendotard
21. @smashkirby
22. @Amherst
23. @Wario Bros.
24. @Serell
25. @Elin

26. @NATGamer
27. @KeybladePony
28. @Taigiry

This post is incomplete and may be updated in a daily basis
:drohyou:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:drsad:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:drohyou:

Last edited:

Darth Nightmaricus

Smash Cadet
NNID
105087bradyisman
*cricket chirps*

You shush, Mr. Cricket. I'm reviving this thread.

Since Balloon Fighter was ALSO considered for Melee, he deserves a chance. Sure, Villager has some stuff referencing him, but it just feels weird to have a Balloon Fight stage associated with...Villager. Therefore, in my opinion Balloon Fighter deserves DLC treatment.

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
*cricket chirps*

You shush, Mr. Cricket. I'm reviving this thread.

Since Balloon Fighter was ALSO considered for Melee, he deserves a chance. Sure, Villager has some stuff referencing him, but it just feels weird to have a Balloon Fight stage associated with...Villager. Therefore, in my opinion Balloon Fighter deserves DLC treatment.
"Stuff referencing him" is an understatement. Villagers Up-B is about as direct a reference as you can get. The move is even used to represent Balloon Fight in the Masterpieces. Balloon Fighter could make a cool character, but he's incredibly unlikely for that reason alone. His moveset potential is also very limited (as shown in the OP) since Villager already uses his most iconic technique.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
"Stuff referencing him" is an understatement. Villagers Up-B is about as direct a reference as you can get. The move is even used to represent Balloon Fight in the Masterpieces. Balloon Fighter could make a cool character, but he's incredibly unlikely for that reason alone. His moveset potential is also very limited (as shown in the OP) since Villager already uses his most iconic technique.
I won't say that. Falco's recovery resembles Fox's Firefox.

Last edited:

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
I won't say that. Falco's recovery resembles that of Fox.
Firefox isn't the most iconic part of Fox's potential moveset. Villager's Balloon Trip is the most recognizable part of Balloon Fight. I don't think Balloon Fighter is worth a spot on the roster because he's already well represented.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
Firefox isn't the most iconic part of Fox's potential moveset. Villager's Balloon Trip is the most recognizable part of Balloon Fight. I don't think Balloon Fighter is worth a spot on the roster because he's already well represented.
I can see your point. I would like him in the game but would be fine if he doesn't. Either way I'll be happy with the result, since I know we've tried.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Well, mates.
BF's creator passed away.
May he forever rest in peace.

D

Deleted member

I didn't realize how remembered Balloon Fight is, all thanks to beign programmed by Iwata.
Put me as a supporter please, because:

---1.Balloon Fighter was always one of my favorite Nintendo characters/Retro choices for Sm4as(alongside Takamaru), and the fact that Villager's recovery killed almost any hope to seeing him join the battle in the base game made me upset.

---2.In memory of Iwata, who just passed away.

Is such a shame that the original Balloon Fighter hasn't joined to the fray, yet he has a stage based on his game,and said even appeared in the Nintendo World Championships 2015!.

His neutral special move could be a thunder spark based on clouds that electrocute you.
I would also recommend putting this in the Op:

Made by caringcarrot on deviantart:http://caringcarrot.deviantart.com/art/SSB4-Enter-Balloon-Fighter-244813247

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Because this was Iwata's game, I really want Balloon Fighter to happen as DLC now. That would be the ideal tribute I think, even if I never played the game itself.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Yes, sign me up as a supporter as well. Balloon Fighter deserves to get in as a tribute to the man who created him.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Here is my thought, why make the balloons a mere recovery when instead they could be a status changer? Balloon Fighter can be a baseline medium/light character, when he presses up b(and enters the match) his balloons inflate, he becomes an ultra light. He has a second jump recovery, a yoshi-esq flutter without balloons being more vertical and shorter range, whereas with the balloons he has a ROB/Kirby level recovery with a certain number of jumps and a naturally slow fall speed

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
If I'm not mistaken, I never told anyone on SmashBoards who I voted for, or if it's only one character or multiple.
But I will now say that I voted for the Balloon Fighter, in honor of Satoru Iwata.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Sign me up as a supporter too.
Can't have the main guy of my favorite game of all time have my vote, no?
Voted BF when the Ballot started, never regretting.

StormC

Smash Hero
Hopefully if Balloon Fighter doesn't make it as DLC, the votes will make him a consideration for the next game.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Since this thread's getting active, I guess I'll post my ideal moveset for Balloon Fighter;

BALLOON FIGHTER

Game of Origin: Balloon Fight (NES)

MAIN GIMMICK: BALLOONS
Balloon Fighter starts the battle with (and can hold a maximum of) 2 Balloons. Each Balloon is impossible to pop (Unlike Villager, whom is able to get his balloons popped by other fighters) but Balloon Fighter can choose to explode a Balloon for a Powerful Attack (IE is Smash Attacks and maybe a Meteor Smash) at the cost of his recovery potential, but he can get Balloons Back with his Neutral Special. Balloon Fighter's Jumping and Recovery ability changes depending on if he has 2, 1 or No Balloons.

MECHANICS
Balloon Fighter, regardless of Balloons:
Weight: Around 85 (85 = Same as Zelda and Sheik)
Size: A little bit smaller than Dr. Mario
Speed: Around Olimar's area

Balloon Fighter with No Balloons:
Jumps: 2 (Not including Up Special)
Jump Height: Around Ganondorf's area
Floatiness: Again, around Olimar's area

Balloon Fighter with 1 Balloon:
Jump Height: Around Dedede's area
Jump Floatiness/Air Speed: Around Mr. Game & Watch's area

Balloon Fighter with 2 Balloons:
Jumps 1 and 2 Height: Around Luigi's area
Jump 3 Height: Around Greninja's area
Jump Floatiness/Air Speed: Around Jigglypuff's Area

SPECIALS
Up Special: Balloon Jump - Balloon Fighter uses a Balloon pop to propel himself upward!
With 2 Balloons: Almost exactly like Mr. Game & Watch's Parachute. You lose 1 Balloon but are able to attack while you fall.
With 1 Balloon: You jump the height of Luigi's Up B, but you can still move left/right freely. You lose your Balloon and go into Helpless State.
With No Balloons: Basically the equivelant of trying to use your Up Special as Olimar in Brawl when you have no Pikmin. You fall into Helpless State.

Neutral Special: Pump - Balloon Fighter pumps up a new Balloon!
With 2 Balloons: Nothing happens.
With 1 Balloon: Balloon Fighter pumps up a new Balloon, can be sped up by mashing B, but not that much. Takes about 1 second when mashing.
With No Balloons: Balloon Fighter pumps up a new Balloon, can be sped up greatly by mashing B. Takes about 1/3 of a second when mashing.

Side Special: Spark - Balloon Fighter tosses a Spark to shock his foes!
Moves rather slow, but functions similar to PAC-MAN's bell when it hits (And causes alot of damage)
No Balloons Required.

Down Special: Flipper - Balloon Fighter places a Flipper down as a trap that lasts about 10 seconds!
An opponent touching the Flipper damages and launches them, but Balloon Fighter has no interaction with it.
No Balloons required.

FINAL SMASH: FISH
Balloon Fighter's Balloons turn Gold (Signifying that you now have infinite jumps) (If Balloon Fighter was missing any Balloons, they are automatically given to him upon using the Final Smash) and the Fish from Balloon Fight starts to chase under Balloon Fighter. The goal here is to fly above your foes, which will cause the Fish to lunge out of the 8-Bit Water (Which appears in the foreground when the FS is active) and deals a massive blow to whoever the Fish hits. If you get hit by the fish yourself from standing on the ground too long (Or the FS' time runs out), the Final Smash ends.

COLOR PALLETES
bf colors.png

Player 1 - Player 2 - Bad Guy 1 - Bad Guy 2 - Bad Guy 3 - Fish - Flipper - Spark
BALLOON COLOR PALLETES (Changes depending on what Player Slot you're in)
balloon colors.png

Player 1 - Player 2 - Player 3 - Player 4 - Player 5 - Player 6 - Player 7 - Player 8

Last edited:

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting ready to edit this post with the following: I will add spoiler tabs directing to the supporters list and one directing to fan-made move sets, like the one above. Better get to typing!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I've already told my fans on the Balloon Fighter for Smash page on Facebook about this. So here's to hoping that the biggest of all Balloon Fighter fans support him in dire moments like this.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Im down with Balloon Fighter now.
A nice tribute indeed friends. I wouldn't be Suprised if he were strongly suggested By Sakurai alone. Good day ^^

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I'm actually thinking about getting Balloon Trip on the EShop. I've never played it before, but it seems like a nice way to acknowledge Iwata's work. I'm still really torn up about his passing, as are many others, no doubt.

Sakurai and Iwata were close friends. I have a feeling he wouldn't be opposed to adding Balloon Fighter at all as a tribute to his friend, if he saw enough Ballot support.

D

Deleted member

It's heartwarming to see all the support Balloon Fighter is getting now.
In all honesty, Balloon Fighter was one my top picks for a Sm4ash newcomer back in the pre-release speculation days,but i had little to no hope after the Villager's trailer. I even made an entire moveset for him.

I also should say that even if people are sad about Iwata's death, they should not support Balloon Fighter just because of his involvement in said game, i want him because i think he could offer an interesing moveset and a great homage to the Nes classics.

I always wanted this guy enter smash, and Iwata's departure just made me rembember how i loved that Game.

The new title of the thread should be "Iwata and Sakamoto's retro warrior of the skies.Vote for Balloon Fighter in Sm4sh!"

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
It's heartwarming to see all the support Balloon Fighter is getting now.
In all honesty, Balloon Fighter was one my top picks for a Sm4ash newcomer back in the pre-release speculation days,but i had little to no hope after the Villager's trailer. I even made an entire moveset for him.

I also should say that even if people are sad about Iwata's death, they should not support Balloon Fighter just because of his involvement in said game, i want him because i think he could offer an interesing moveset and a great homage to the Nes classics.

I always wanted this guy enter smash, and Iwata's departure just made me rembember how i loved that Game.

The new title of the thread should be "Iwata and Sakamoto's retro warrior of the skies.Vote for Balloon Fighter in Sm4sh!"
The support is heartwarming, indeed.

Also, while I agree that Balloon Fighter shouldn't get support just because of Iwata, some people need a reason to look at certain characters.
Often is the reason a new game, but for retro characters which most likely won't get new games, this often doesn't happen.
So sad it is, Iwata now drew some attention to Balloon Fighter, so people looked at him and saw that he isn't a bad idea in general.

For example, I was aware that the Balloon Fighter existed and that some people want him to be a fighter, but I wasn't really interested before. Mostly because I couldn't imagine him in a fighting game like Super Smash Bros..
But now that I took a deeper look at him and ideas like @SmashRiver64's moveset idea, I got interested.

I always was a fan of retro characters, and now, I finally can say that I fully support him, regardless of Iwata's situation.
I just needed the necessary "kick" to look at him.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Balloon Fighter would be talked about more if it wasn't for Villager. I'm hesitant to think that there is going to be time and money that will allow for Balloon Fighter to join Smash 4 (creating characters isn't easy, guys) assuming he won't overtake the ballot, but I can only hope he will be considered for the next game if nothing else.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The support is heartwarming, indeed.

Also, while I agree that Balloon Fighter shouldn't get support just because of Iwata, some people need a reason to look at certain characters.
Often is the reason a new game, but for retro characters which most likely won't get new games, this often doesn't happen.
So sad it is, Iwata now drew some attention to Balloon Fighter, so people looked at him and saw that he isn't a bad idea in general.

For example, I was aware that the Balloon Fighter existed and that some people want him to be a fighter, but I wasn't really interested before. Mostly because I couldn't imagine him in a fighting game like Super Smash Bros..
But now that I took a deeper look at him and ideas like @SmashRiver64's moveset idea, I got interested.

I always was a fan of retro characters, and now, I finally can say that I fully support him, regardless of Iwata's situation.
I just needed the necessary "kick" to look at him.
I understand your point of view, and i have no problem with it.
After all, wanting a character is wanting a character, regardless of the reason why you want him.
Thanks for the Support.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I now want Balloon Fighter. I always thought he'd be interesting as a fighter but Villager took that away. To honor the memory and legacy of Satoru Iwata, Balloon Fighter should be added in Smash.

D

Deleted member

To anyone who became interesed in Balloon Fighter as fighter in Smash because of Iwata,don't feel bad.

Everyone starts as a Bandwagoner at first when it comes to certain characters, but time is what makes you from a person who's interesed in something into a fan.

I started supporting Isaac just because for the heck of it,but after playing the Golden Sun series, i became one of the most loyal supporters, posting the 4-koma comics to gave everyone a laugh and talk about my experiences.

YOU are the one who decides to stay with the character you support until the end.

Also just because you haven't played Balloon Fight doesn't mean you can't support it. This comes from someone who likes R.O.B and Roy.(I have never played Gyromite or Stack up, and i like Roy despite the fact i lack interest in the FE series).It's not a bad thing by no means.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, guys.

I didn't get as much done as I wanted to today. Iwata's death really got to me, and I've began to get distracted while typing this up. I actually began crying like a baby over it... I promise I'll get this stuff done, but I hope you understand the situation.

EDIT: Do you guys know how to add a title to a spoiler tab? I'm not so reliable when it comes to HTML...

RE-EDIT: Nevermind, I found the solution

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm sorry, guys.

I didn't get as much done as I wanted to today. Iwata's death really got to me, and I've began to get distracted while typing this up. I actually began crying like a baby over it... I promise I'll get this stuff done, but I hope you understand the situation.
Don't worry, if you like i could talk to Azure Warrior to help you with the OP.

We Balloon Fighters (i think that would be a cool name for our support group) stay strong until the end.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I always wanted Balloon Fighter... alright, truth be told, I wanted Alice from Balloon Kid, BUT, I was always more than alright with Balloon Fighter too. Heck, back when I mained Mario in Melee, I always used the blue color scheme since it rescembled Balloon Fighter's colors the most.

So I'd love to see him as DLC.
I always believed he could easily share his UP+B with Villager, and he has other moves he can reference from his game.
For example, throwing that little spark bolt, or leaving a flipper, releasing balloons which don't do damage but mess with opponents (remember Yoshi's stage in Brawl where sometimes one of those balloons got in the way of Ness' PK thunder recovery?). I think there's a lot he can still do. And I know I would buy him in a heartbeat.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, I've added a supporters list with the current supporters, and added two fan-made movesets we've received. It's been a long and hard day... Hope this will suffice y'all in the meantime.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Someone made a mod with Iwata replacing Balloon Fighter in the game. He would have a sprite based on Earthbound and Kirby decorated balloons for flight. I'll probably post the video later since I have breakfast to make for the family.

Top Bottom