• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Australian Event Previews: BAM 7 and Project Melbourne

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Australia has some amazing things going on in terms of Smash. Many weekly tournaments, strong regional events, and the entirety of their scene showing signs of growth and gaining strength. But the most exciting of all is the upcoming FGC major Battle Arena Melbourne 7.

Battle Arena Melbourne 7 (BAM7)
BAM7 is looking to be the most exciting things to be happening for the FGC and Smash in Australia! Many games will be featured including Ultra Street Fighter 4, Guilty Gear XRD -SIGN-, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Dead or Alive 5 Last Round, King of Fighters XIII, Killer Instinct, Skullgirls, Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo, Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown and Mortal Kobat X which will feature two time Evo winner Perfect Legend and the top Australian or New Zealand player will be flown out to the Mortal Kombat Asia Pacific Championships. But the most amazing thing happen in Australia for BAM7 is by far for Smash.

BAM7 will feature Melee and Smash 4 Wii U as main events with a Smash 64 side event. Over $10,000 was raised by Australian Smashers to invite international guests to the event in BAM7 tradition which include Mang0, Leffen, Chillindude, Lucky, alex19, HugS, S2J, and Wife! Not only are there international guests, but two of the best players in New Zealand are coming as well. Thanks to the BAM 7 New Zealand Qualifier the top placing player from the Wii U, and Melee brackets, Flatfeet and Mojo Monkey respectively, will be flown out to compete!

The international players are not the only strong threats attending, Australia boasts names like Skeletom, Dekar, S.D., Smoking Puppy, Syke, SA Nick, Redact, Splice, ZXV, and Jamwa, for Melee. For Wii U they have Villyness, Nikes, Tibs, ViVa, Earl, and Waveguider. Take some time to learn about the Australian threats for BAM7.

The Smash 64 top 8 stream will begin at 9PM AEST (7AM EDT) and will be provided by Kaizmo. The MelbourneMelee streaming schedule for the event is provided below. For more information about the event, check out its Smashboards thread.

Can't contain the excitement for BAM7? Need to sate that apatite for top players and Australian Smash? There is another popular Smash game gaining ground and poised to have an exciting event: Project M. With many of the international guests for BAM7 there for the event it seemed right to get everyone together to take on some games of Project M

Project Melbourne
Featuring some of the international guests like Mango, Lucky, Leffen, S2J, Chillindude and more, this looks to be one of the most stacked Project M tournaments Australia has ever seen. There are even plans for a New South Wales versus Victoria 7v7 crew battle with a lot of characters variety and some exciting names to see!

NSW or VIC? Choose A Side!

Doubles begins at 9AM AEST on May 22nd (May 21st at 7PM EST) and singles begins at 12PM AEST on May 22nd (May 21st at 10PM EST). The stream for the event will be provided by Melbourne Melee. For more information on the event check out it's Smashboards thread.

Hopefully this has sparked some intererest in Australian Smash! To learn more about the scene be sure to also check out the Australia Regional Forum on Smashboards to learn about their other exciting upcoming events. For any players in Oceania who want to become more connected as well it is worth visiting the Oceanic Netplay Thread on Smashboards as well. Hopefully these two events will be an incredible success for the Australian Smash community and great games will be had!

SmashCapps is incredibly excited to see the Smash scene grow throughout the entire world and applauds Australian Smasher's efforts to expand their scene. Follow him on Twitter to discuss these upcoming events and all other things Smash.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
I sure do love playing that Ultra Street Fighter 2 and Motral Kobat X.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Australia has been pulsing with activity since smash 4 came out, the whole scene has really been revitalised and it's great. Peeps should get hyped, cause Australia is coming!

T0MMY

Smash Master
I like seeing news on regions/countries because it's difficult to keep up with what everyone is doing. There should be more articles like this front page, I'm sure a lot of people are interested in regional news!

Zoa

Smash Ace
Melee, 64, AND P:M? This is gonna be incredibly hype.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Earl's gonna take Smash 4
Not if he has to play against V in bracket.

Seriously though if he's figured out how to beat her Ness that'd be something I'd love to see given how much trouble I also have against V. Though it would be awesome if Earl took the tournament. Would be really awesome to show off how good Earl as an Australian player is and how viable Little Mac is.

Hoping to see MGK do some awesome stuff in P:M as well. I'm really looking forward to the whole event.

Last edited:

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Well the light will definitely be on Australia. I hope they make it rly far and show us what they can do.

Levateinn

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lev_Zoravkov
3DS FC
0275-7009-2978
lol poor Southern Cross geting blotted out by the smash cross

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis

Project Melbourne
Featuring some of the international guests like Mango, Lucky, Leffen, S2J, Chillindude and more, this looks to be one of the most stacked Project M tournaments Australia has ever seen. There are even plans for a New South Wales versus Victoria 7v7 crew battle with a lot of characters variety and some exciting names to see!

NSW or VIC? Choose A Side!

Doubles begins at 9AM AEST on May 22nd (May 21st at 7PM EST) and singles begins at 12PM AEST on May 22nd (May 21st at 10PM EST). The stream for the event will be provided by Melbourne Melee. For more information on the event check out it's Smashboards thread.

Excellent! I've always wanted a State of Origin style Smash game.
GO THE BLUES!!! GO AUSTRALIA!!!

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
oi there mates wanna feed the kangaroos barbies outside my backyard?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
hopefully the austrailians will do well, it will be exciting to find out how they compare :)
Dekar, who is apparently one of the best if not best in the country, didn't get out of pools at Apex2015, and his pool wasn't even that hard. Don't know though, maybe he was jetlagged or smth.

Last edited:

SebastianPhoton

Smash Cadet
Dekar, who is apparently one of their best, if not the best, already went to apex 2015 and didn't get out of pools. Peki (Finland #2) who won the pool said it was easy pool, and he was even 4 stocking in friendlies the puff that got 2nd seed out of the pool.

Don't know much about the circumstances though, but I wouldn't expect them to be serious threats to Socal top players.
ah didnt know that, still i could see one of them getting top 8 with a little bit of luck and a whole lot of heart! :smirk:

Fancy

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyChicken
I'm Australian, and this is the one year that I'm not living there fml

Top Bottom