• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attn: Samus is good in brawl.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I think that a lot of people are over reacting about what samus has lost from melee, and not focusing on what she has gained. This threads purpose is to explain what she has lost, and what may or does make up for it.

Samus lost most missile spamming, samus gained full jump double homing missiles. Honestly, I never liked spamming missiles in melee, but this is too good to pass up. Homing missiles home, and for somebody like me that uses missiles more as a set up, this is extremely useful, and I think it is a fair, if not better trade off.

Samus lost her nairs power. She gained a more powerful fsmash. Seriously, this is great. Ground attacks can be timed much easier then arials, this is a good trade off in my opinion. And losing power isn't a bad thing, think of all the combos this could open up for.

Lost the wavedash. Samus gained a more powerful up b. Honestly, I have been doing some brawl training in AR on melee, and I have noticed that without any wavedash, your shield options are so much lower. But up b's new power makes up for this so much, as if it wasn't already abusable.

Now this is all I can think of now, I'll add more later. But I really want this thread to focus on what samus can do better in brawl that she couldn't do in melee. I was thinking, tether recovery has no lag, so maybe you could do a ledgedash? Is this possible? Because from what I have heard, you can still waveland, it's just not as useful because you can't control the direction that you go.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
Other negative changes:
-Loss of Charge Beam size and power
-Quite unuseful Super Missiles
-Now almost completely useless Morph Ball Bombs
-Harder to pull off grabs and throw combos
-Slower utilt
-Bulkier and seemingly slower in general

Other positive changes:
-Aerial Grapple Beam now very useful for setting up hits and reducing Samus's vulnerability
-Screw Attack, uair, fair, and usmash improved by Brawl's general betterment of multi-hit attacks

3GOD

Smash Ace
One major difference between Melee Samus and Brawl Samus is Crouch Canceling. This will require her playstyle to be very different instead of the "Tank" style from Melee.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Fully charged Usmash does 32 damage, that's pretty good. Well, I doubt many people get to hit with fully charged smashes, but the "normal" Usmash does 23 which is also a big number. It's also easier to execute succesfully now.

Samus is considered as a heavy character (she's in the 5 heaviest I think), so considering that she is really fast. Ganondorf and Charizard are close to Samus' weight, and they're really slow (although Ganondorf is the strongest character in the game).

Anyway, Samus can combo well, and in the right hands she deals damage really fast. That's probably why her KO moves are so limited.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
I have to disagree Mars. I think that if you weed through the normal junk, you will find several insightful posts about Samus. It is important to note her changes vs changes in the overall gameplay if only so that melee players can know what to expect. Much of the current discussion on Samus (I know that when I comment on the quality of the character in any way, this is true) is based on her current standing with other characters in the game.

You cant say 'lets talk about what Samus has gained', as if that makes her a better character, but then say 'stop talking about what she has lost' as if that makes her a worse character. That is a BS argument. You have to look at how she compares to her environment, not another game which has absolutely no affect on the style of this one.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I have to disagree Mars. I think that if you weed through the normal junk, you will find several insightful posts about Samus. It is important to note her changes vs changes in the overall gameplay if only so that melee players can know what to expect. Much of the current discussion on Samus (I know that when I comment on the quality of the character in any way, this is true) is based on her current standing with other characters in the game.

You cant say 'lets talk about what Samus has gained', as if that makes her a better character, but then say 'stop talking about what she has lost' as if that makes her a worse character. That is a BS argument. You have to look at how she compares to her environment, not another game which has absolutely no affect on the style of this one.
Saying What somebody lost vs what they gained is a perfectly legit thing to say.

If you look at all the boards, almost every character is "worse" then their melee counterpart. So if every character is worse, doesn't that mean the maybe samus is just as good compared to the other characters as she was in melee?

Anyway, I'm here to watch videos, I have been wanting to do this all week.

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
@ ORLY: LMAO, nice sig!

Of subject, but is there a Samus clan? I'm already in a Link Clan (as you can see), but really liked using her too and wouldn't mind joining one if it exists!

:3

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
Not if they are allies! Besides, there are a few other members in my clan that belong to other clans, so I figured it's harmless.

:3

Top Bottom