• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assist Trophy or DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Do you think it is possible some characters were not shown as Assist Trophies because they are being considered for future DLC?

Some characters are immediate assists, such as Dillon. Others we have not seen- Wonder Red, or older ones like Isaac and Jill Dozer.
Could this indicate that they either ARE DLC, or even characters, or are being reserved on hold to be characters in case they have a surpluss of DLC characters (which... they should)?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, first of all, its possible some of the unknown AT's are in the game itself. I think the DLC is only going to be planned characters that didn't make it into the final game. And I'm sure some of the AT's we haven't seen are still coming. If anything, 1-2 of the unconfirmed AT's will be DLC, but that's probably about it.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Do you think it is possible some characters were not shown as Assist Trophies because they are being considered for future DLC?

Some characters are immediate assists, such as Dillon. Others we have not seen- Wonder Red, or older ones like Isaac and Jill Dozer.
Could this indicate that they either ARE DLC, or even characters, or are being reserved on hold to be characters in case they have a surpluss of DLC characters (which... they should)?
Trophies being promoted to playable status? This is an interesting concept. I feel like a lot of potential DLC characters will get trophies, so I can imagine this happening.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

So far, the only character that has been transitioned from assist trophy to playable status is Little Mac.

There are still some older characters that have not been unveiled yet and this does question whether some of these will have the same treatment as Little Mac.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Isaac and Ray are about the only ones I can think of among the returning unconfirmed AT's who could be promoted to playable. Some people have brought up Jill from Drill Dozer, perhaps.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In brawl weren't some of the assists unlockable somehow?
Yes, but some of those unlockable Assists were available in the original demo, and Shadow is available in this demo when he was always unlockable before (granted, he unlocked with Sonic).

There's also some starter AT's that haven't been seen yet from the prior game, as well.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Yes, but some of those unlockable Assists were available in the original demo, and Shadow is available in this demo when he was always unlockable before (granted, he unlocked with Sonic).

There's also some starter AT's that haven't been seen yet from the prior game, as well.
So we can't say they aren't shown because they are unlockable then... Hm... I certainly hope Isaac, Ray, etc. weren't cut from being assists or not appearing in some form in Smash.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I think that it is possible for Issac for sure. I thought that Wonder Red was disconfirmed though...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think that it is possible for Issac for sure. I thought that Wonder Red was disconfirmed though...
Well, Phosphora was announced as a trophy, then it turns out she's actually an Assist Trophy. Or so it appears, anyway. Wonder Red could be an Assist Trophy as well.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Well, Phosphora was announced as a trophy, then it turns out she's actually an Assist Trophy. Or so it appears, anyway. Wonder Red could be an Assist Trophy as well.
Man Sakurai is always confusing me....... dag yo. I guess I shouldn't count out Waluigi from turning into a playable charaacter with DLC haha

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Man Sakurai is always confusing me....... dag yo. I guess I shouldn't count out Waluigi from turning into a playable charaacter with DLC haha
Hahaha, not likely. We've seen Waluigi in action. I'd only say don't count out characters if they haven't been shown doing something (like Ridley). But don't count on them either.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
He isnt really confusing. It is only confusing when people read into his words. He never lies, people interpret him a lot. If he doesn't say something flat out, then it is fair game. He likes to intentionally mislead, because he stated explicitly that he likes the element of surprise (and we, of course, are trying to dissect everything as a community). So, he unveils specifically that which he wants, and carefully redirects other things.

If it isnt said with detail, it likely isnt so.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I just realized we haven't seen the excitebikes or the advanced war guys- I think an advance wars character is somewhat likely as well.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I just realized we haven't seen the excitebikes or the advanced war guys- I think an advance wars character is somewhat likely as well.
Seeing Infantry and Tanks as an AT wouldn't mean anything. The only time it would mean anything is if we saw them at the Smash Direct and they didn't have an icon.

I really would like to see a playable Advance Wars rep, too. (My personal bets are that it'd be Sami and not Andy, though.)

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Seeing Infantry and Tanks as an AT wouldn't mean anything. The only time it would mean anything is if we saw them at the Smash Direct and they didn't have an icon.

I really would like to see a playable Advance Wars rep, too. (My personal bets are that it'd be Sami and not Andy, though.)
Well a lot of people work them into their movesets- Maybe it is a negative we haven't seen their assist yet.-

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well a lot of people work them into their movesets- Maybe it is a negative we haven't seen their assist yet.-
A negative? No, not really, it doesn't really mean much of anything. Its only a positive in that we didn't see Infantry and Tanks at the Smash Direct, but after that it doesn't matter.

Honestly, I don't see Infantry and Tanks getting involved in an Advance Wars' moveset except as a Final Smash. I still think there's a high chance Sakurai might use Snake's old moveset, update it a bit to fit Advance Wars, and replace Snake with an Advance Wars character, but that's just me. I'm sure all of the Advance Wars fans disagree with me on that, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if that's how we get Advance Wars involved, and honestly, I think it'd fit just fine (except for the cardboard box and Up+Special as those attributes are completely specific to Snake, but the rest of his moveset is basically just "modern warfare").

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
A negative? No, not really, it doesn't really mean much of anything. Its only a positive in that we didn't see Infantry and Tanks at the Smash Direct, but after that it doesn't matter.

Honestly, I don't see Infantry and Tanks getting involved in an Advance Wars' moveset except as a Final Smash. I still think there's a high chance Sakurai might use Snake's old moveset, update it a bit to fit Advance Wars, and replace Snake with an Advance Wars character, but that's just me. I'm sure all of the Advance Wars fans disagree with me on that, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if that's how we get Advance Wars involved, and honestly, I think it'd fit just fine (except for the cardboard box and Up+Special as those attributes are completely specific to Snake, but the rest of his moveset is basically just "modern warfare").
I'd prefer something uniquely related to the series and character... I mean they have a lot of games (Around 12 I believe.) Anyways they haven't had a new installment since 2008, but it seems to have been released a week before Brawl- so maybe there is hope?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd prefer something uniquely related to the series and character... I mean they have a lot of games (Around 12 I believe.) Anyways they haven't had a new installment since 2008, but it seems to have been released a week before Brawl- so maybe there is hope?
Advance Wars definitely should be represented in Smash Bros., its a long-running series. For a long time I was speculating an AW character and eventually settled on Sami, but I'm not fully confident in that anymore. I hope I'm wrong, though, I'd love to see a playable Advance Wars character. I still don't think Infantry and Tanks not showing up says much about it, though...

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Advance Wars definitely should be represented in Smash Bros., its a long-running series. For a long time I was speculating an AW character and eventually settled on Sami, but I'm not fully confident in that anymore. I hope I'm wrong, though, I'd love to see a playable Advance Wars character. I still don't think Infantry and Tanks not showing up says much about it, though...
I guess it depends on their moveset and what it pulls from. I saw a moveset that focused on capturing/building bases that strengthened you when you were near it and being able to use the sprites like summons. Are there any long running series like AW not represented in smash yet?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I guess it depends on their moveset and what it pulls from. I saw a moveset that focused on capturing/building bases that strengthened you when you were near it and being able to use the sprites like summons. Are there any long running series like AW not represented in smash yet?
Advance Wars is really the only one I can think of. It is the longest running and oldest series of Nintendo's not yet represented with a playable character.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Advance Wars is really the only one I can think of. It is the longest running and oldest series of Nintendo's not yet represented with a playable character.
Is it not that popular? Maybe They don't see much moveset potential with an AW character or that they don't fit in smash bros.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Is it not that popular? Maybe They don't see much moveset potential with an AW character or that they don't fit in smash bros.
It took Japan five years to get AW4 and that was an e-Shop-title only. It's not really popular in the West either. Generally people like it, but not enough to buy the games.

As an AW-fan, I think Sami getting Snake's moveset but updated could work. In all her in-game sprites she wields a gun. Andy, however, is more of a joke character, with him throwing wrenches and riding tanks or something. It would represent his character a lot better than getting serious with using guns and grenades.

That being said, the Wars series are in my opinion not popular and well-known enough to warrant a character spot. I'd love Andy or preferably Sami to be playable, though.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It took Japan five years to get AW4 and that was an e-Shop-title only. It's not really popular in the West either. Generally people like it, but not enough to buy the games.

As an AW-fan, I think Sami getting Snake's moveset but updated could work. In all her in-game sprites she wields a gun. Andy, however, is more of a joke character, with him throwing wrenches and riding tanks or something. It would represent his character a lot better than getting serious with using guns and grenades.

That being said, the Wars series are in my opinion not popular and well-known enough to warrant a character spot. I'd love Andy or preferably Sami to be playable, though.
That's why I keep bringing up Sami. She's shown wielding guns in artwork and specializes in Infantry, she'd be a more capable fighter than Andy would be. Obviously it should incorporate elements from Advance Wars as well, too, though, so it wouldn't be a carbon-copy of Snake's moveset. But close enough for people who liked Snake's moveset to enjoy herself.

As for the Wars series not being popular and well-known enough... Well, Fire Emblem was this pre-Melee. Melee got it localized. Heck, Advance Wars got localized without being represented in Smash Bros. They also stuck with the Advance Wars name after that (though in Japan they went back to calling it Famicon Wars :p).

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
As for the Wars series not being popular and well-known enough... Well, Fire Emblem was this pre-Melee. Melee got it localized. Heck, Advance Wars got localized without being represented in Smash Bros. They also stuck with the Advance Wars name after that (though in Japan they went back to calling it Famicon Wars :p).
Fire Emblem already had a large fanbase in Japan pre-Melee, didn't it?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Fire Emblem already had a large fanbase in Japan pre-Melee, didn't it?
It had a pretty decent fanbase, yeah, but I think even pre-Melee the games didn't sell extraordinarily well, but they sold well enough at the time. Nowadays those sales numbers just don't cut it.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Some characters maybe low on the priority list for playable characters, so when they run out of dev time if they don't have them in, they just throw in the AT version quickly.

Some may also be unlockable AT's and just not shown, because they're 'secret' or 'hidden'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom