• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Art Academy's Vince- Learn new painting techniques

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Art Academy has been becoming a popular franchise, and one that nintendo likes to advertise. similarly to Wii Fit Trainer his franchise has more appeal to the casual fans, but at the same time, he would be a fun as a silly character I think.

People like to throw Maxwell around as a character, but I think this guy could probably fill that roll, painting up things that then are there on the stage, or maybe simply being a trap based character (like some kind of mash of Project M Zelda and Brawl Snake)

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
He's got a trophy and a song (Swan's Song) in the Wii U version, so I'd say he has a slim chance of happening. Hell, I'm surprised that Style Savvy had a bit more content than Art Academy in this very game. :laugh:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Looking at his chances, the only thing he really needs to aid his chances is his franchise having more prominence with Nintendo, and I think he could be a possibility, personally I think he soon might have competition with Inkling.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I would love for Vince to be a character and have him draw things he attacks with. The OP should have a massive overhaul to show why he should get in and what he would do besides the basic info you put there.

slambros

Smash Ace
I've suddenly fallen head-over heels with this character idea. He's probably more recognizable than people actually realize. He comes from a relevant and decently-selling series, like it or not. He represents an older age group (honestly, not many characters, if any at all, are as aged-looking as Vince). He would honestly be truly unique. I might actually vote for him. I support wholeheartedly.

slambros

Smash Ace
Another idea I'd like to say is this: Vince is lucky. When people had been clamoring for Bowser Jr. to join the roster, they pretty much all expected a moveset, inspired by Super Mario Sunshine, utilizing the paintbrush he wields in said game. While the paintbrush shows up in Bowser Jr.'s final Smash... That's really it. This leaves the potential paintbrush-artsy moveset idea open for another newcomer. If this had not been the case, everyone would despise the idea of Vince as a playable character.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES AND YES.

But I'll be disappointed if no moves of his would involve whacking someone on the head with a canvas and if hit, the head would burst through it.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Another idea I'd like to say is this: Vince is lucky. When people had been clamoring for Bowser Jr. to join the roster, they pretty much all expected a moveset, inspired by Super Mario Sunshine, utilizing the paintbrush he wields in said game. While the paintbrush shows up in Bowser Jr.'s final Smash... That's really it. This leaves the potential paintbrush-artsy moveset idea open for another newcomer. If this had not been the case, everyone would despise the idea of Vince as a playable character.
I expect him to use a variety of arty things. From a paintbrush to a sculpture.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I don't see Vince becoming a fighter...
Wii Fit Trainer worked because she/he makes movements with her/his body, and they used those movements as attacks.
This is a normal painter, he doesn't have any special ability or anything, he never used the technique to transform his paintings into real things in the Art Academy games, because those "games" are just about simulating real painting.
Even the villager had some abilities that inspired a moveset, like shooting with the sling, or using the axe to hit trees... all what Vince does is using a paintbrush to draw things... maybe he can do something nintendog-like as assist trophy, but I doubt to ever see him as a fighter.

This said, I love the concept of having an artist in Smash, but there is another character who suits A LOT better that role:
that's obviously Adeleine from the Kirby series.
She has special abilities, she can summon helpers and food, she is a fighter, a clumsy one but still... she fights in the minigames of Kirby 64 and during her boss battles, so yeah, she's a fighter.
Painting has been an important element in the Kirby series, especially recently, with Canvas Curse and Rainbow Curse; the Kirby series has many magical artists but Adeleine is the only one who has been important in more than one game, and has the requirements to be a Smash Bros character (has hands to grab items and characters, has both regular moves and special moves).
Also, she is where everything started. Paint Roller has been the first artist in the Kirby series, but he was merely a generic boss; after Ado/Adeleine, the Kirby series started to have many artist characters with key roles, friends or final bosses (in Amiibo Tap on WiiU, Ado has a scene while Paint Roller not).
Kirby 64 has just been released in Europe recently, in WiiU's VC, and well, I'm sure that with a bit of support she could raise her chances to become a DLC for sure.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Wii Fit Trainer worked because she/he makes movements with her/his body, and they used those movements as attacks.
This is a normal painter, he doesn't have any special ability or anything, he never used the technique to transform his paintings into real things in the Art Academy games, because those "games" are just about simulating real painting.
Even the villager had some abilities that inspired a moveset, like shooting with the sling, or using the axe to hit trees... all what Vince does is using a paintbrush to draw things... maybe he can do something nintendog-like as assist trophy, but I doubt to ever see him as a fighter.

This said, I love the concept of having an artist in Smash, but there is another character who suits A LOT better that role:
She has special abilities, she can summon helpers and food, she is a fighter, a clumsy one but still... she fights in the minigames of Kirby 64 and during her boss battles, so yeah, she's a fighter.
Painting has been an important element in the Kirby series, especially recently, with Canvas Curse and Rainbow Curse; the Kirby series has many magical artists but Adeleine is the only one who has been important in more than one game, and has the requirements to be a Smash Bros character (has hands to grab items and characters, has both regular moves and special moves).
Also, she is where everything started. Paint Roller has been the first artist in the Kirby series, but he was merely a generic boss; after Ado/Adeleine, the Kirby series started to have many artist characters with key roles, friends or final bosses (in Amiibo Tap on WiiU, Ado has a scene while Paint Roller not).
Kirby 64 has just been released in Europe recently, in WiiU's VC, and well, I'm sure that with a bit of support she could raise her chances to become a DLC for sure.
So what. When has Smash been canon (Ganondorf). Plus, Vince is from a decent selling franchise and Bandana Dee is the forerunner for any Kirby rep for DLC. He'd be another WTF character.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman

While it is possible for Adeline to take that role as an artist-type fighter based on an existing series, Vince has potential to explore move set based on the various art-making techniques such as sculptures, plaster, paintbrush, pencil and eraser, canvas piece, artist's pallet, and more.

Example:
Vince can use his pencil to draw a temporary platform in a direction as a recovery move; he can also release drying cement liquid to trap opponents; Use eraser to destroy projectiles; pop out simple subjects from the canvas as projectiles, and more.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So what. When has Smash been canon (Ganondorf). Plus, Vince is from a decent selling franchise and Bandana Dee is the forerunner for any Kirby rep for DLC. He'd be another WTF character.
That's not confirmed. While he's popular, it's also possible that Sakurai don't see potential in him and think he's just a waddle dee; also, who said that Kirby will have just one single newcomer, when Fire Emblem has 5 characters 3 of them with the same moveset?

Anyway, I'm not against Vince, it's just that I can't see him working... you can force him into a fighter but I think it would be very much out of his character/not representative of the game he comes from.

EDIT: the only way I see him working, is if he's a pokèmon trainer-like character, who stays out from the stage, and interacts with the other players using the paintbrush like if the whole stage was his canvas. That's the only way he would represent the franchise for what it is, a franchise of what the gameplay consists in drawing on a canvas and learning new art techniques, not smashing statues and canvases into enemies.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
That's not confirmed. While he's popular, it's also possible that Sakurai don't see potential in him and think he's just a waddle dee; also, who said that Kirby will have just one single newcomer, when Fire Emblem has 5 characters 3 of them with the same moveset?

Anyway, I'm not against Vince, it's just that I can't see him working... you can force him into a fighter but I think it would be very much out of his character/not representative of the game he comes from.
No, Bandana Dee is way ahead of any other Kirby character. Sakurai made the ****ing character, if he can find potential in Pit (all he did in his games before Brawl was shoot arrows), he can make Bandana Dee work. Roy is technically a semi-clone now.
Vince can work and if you're talking about how its out of character, I think you might want to talk with Ganondorf, ROB, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Captain Falcon. Ganondorf is still a ****ing semi-clone of Falcon, ROB didn't fight in his game, Animal Crossing is a very peaceful franchise and Villager fighting is technically out of character, Wii Fit Trainer isn't making you healthier by literally beating the **** out of you, and Falcon's never stepped out of his car to do a Falcon Punch.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
No, Bandana Dee is way ahead of any other Kirby character. Sakurai made the ****ing character, if he can find potential in Pit (all he did in his games before Brawl was shoot arrows), he can make Bandana Dee work. Roy is technically a semi-clone now.
Vince can work and if you're talking about how its out of character, I think you might want to talk with Ganondorf, ROB, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Captain Falcon. Ganondorf is still a ****ing semi-clone of Falcon, ROB didn't fight in his game, Animal Crossing is a very peaceful franchise and Villager fighting is technically out of character, Wii Fit Trainer isn't making you healthier by literally beating the **** out of you, and Falcon's never stepped out of his car to do a Falcon Punch.
Those characters all represent the gameplay of the game they come from. Falcon is fast and deadly, and has falcon punches that represent the movement you can do in F-Zero X double tapping the L and R triggers to destroy other cars. The same applies to Starfox, the moveset emulates the gameplay.
Ganondorf has a random moveset, but it's not out of character: he is a secondary character so he doesn't need to represent the main gameplay of the game, but he does represent very well the king of evil he is.
Everything makes sense, WiiFit Trainer still does yoga.

If you make Vince fight, doesn't make much sense, since it doesn't represent in any way the gameplay of the game. The gameplay of the game consists in creating art, not destroying art into other people to defeat them. Vince loves art and respects it, at the same time he's a very calm old man, and you would expect everything but a fight from him.
You can do it, but it would be unfitting, or at least this is what I think.
The only "offensive" or "destructive" action that you can do in Art Academy is ereasing a part of your drawing; even Animal Crossing has offensive actions into his gameplay, traps, sling, destroying trees, etc; Art Academy doesn't have any of those.

Also, about Bandana Dee, Sakurai didn't made the character, he just put a bandana on a waddle dee for a minigame, and in the minigames of Kirby Superstar almost every character/regular enemy had some costumes, for example that wheely with the samurai hat, or Dedede with a kimono.
We won't know the result of the ballot until october (or we won't ever know it), we only know that the Bandana Dee fanbase is very noisy, this doesn't mean that other characters doesn't have a fanbase, and at the same time it doesn't guarantee him a place in the roster; People requested Toad for years but he never felt like putting him in the roster, despite being a recurring and main character of the Mario series. There are many supporters of Bandana Dee, but there are also many people who think that he's generic and who hates him, so he would be a character that would generate lots of debates; it's by no way confirmed to be the next Kirby newcomer. There are many characters with lots of requests, none of them are excluded, none of them are confirmed.
And as I already said, it's very possible that Kirby will get more than just one single newcomer as well, since the series has been overlooked so much.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Those characters all represent the gameplay of the game they come from. Falcon is fast and deadly, and has falcon punches that represent the movement you can do in F-Zero X double tapping the L and R triggers to destroy other cars. The same applies to Starfox, the moveset emulates the gameplay.
Ganondorf has a random moveset, but it's not out of character: he is a secondary character so he doesn't need to represent the main gameplay of the game, but he does represent very well the king of evil he is.
Everything makes sense, WiiFit Trainer still does yoga.

If you make Vince fight, doesn't make much sense, since it doesn't represent in any way the gameplay of the game. The gameplay of the game consists in creating art, not destroying art into other people to defeat them. Vince loves art and respects it, at the same time he's a very calm old man, and you would expect everything but a fight from him.
You can do it, but it would be unfitting, or at least this is what I think.
The only "offensive" or "destructive" action that you can do in Art Academy is ereasing a part of your drawing; even Animal Crossing has offensive actions into his gameplay, traps, sling, destroying trees, etc; Art Academy doesn't have any of those.

Also, about Bandana Dee, Sakurai didn't made the character, he just put a bandana on a waddle dee for a minigame, and in the minigames of Kirby Superstar almost every character/regular enemy had some costumes, for example that wheely with the samurai hat, or Dedede with a kimono.
We won't know the result of the ballot until october (or we won't ever know it), we only know that the Bandana Dee fanbase is very noisy, this doesn't mean that other characters doesn't have a fanbase, and at the same time it doesn't guarantee him a place in the roster; People requested Toad for years but he never felt like putting him in the roster, despite being a recurring and main character of the Mario series. There are many supporters of Bandana Dee, but there are also many people who think that he's generic and who hates him, so he would be a character that would generate lots of debates; it's by no way confirmed to be the next Kirby newcomer. There are many characters with lots of requests, none of them are excluded, none of them are confirmed.
And as I already said, it's very possible that Kirby will get more than just one single newcomer as well, since the series has been overlooked so much.
I don't think being a part of a peaceful game stops Vince. I'm not saying he's likely (he aint) but he's still possible.
I never said Bandana Dee will be the next Kirby newcomer, I said he's the forerunner for the Kirby rep votes (which he is). Adeleine has been in one Kirby game, Bandana Dee has been in multiple and is basically a main character now (Main roles in Return to Dreamland and Rainbow Curse). But that's besides the point. I'm not here to argue about whether Bandana Dee will make it in, this is the Vince thread. If you don't like him, well that's your opinion and you can just vote for Adeleine.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
It's not that I don't like him, I indeed like him. It's that I can't come up with a way to implement him with a moveset that represents the franchise he comes from.
I think he's more suited for being a stage hazard on an hypotetical Art Academy stage, or an assist trophy.
To me, it's like requesting for Electroplankton or Nintendog to be a fighter; can you imagine what would happen with PETA if Nintendog became a fighter? Technically it's possible, you can make a realistic dog fight, but it would be so wrong on so many layers.
But everyone is free to support and vote whoever he wants, was just pointing out things.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
It's not that I don't like him, I indeed like him. It's that I can't come up with a way to implement him with a moveset that represents the franchise he comes from.
I think he's more suited for being a stage hazard on an hypotetical Art Academy stage, or an assist trophy.
To me, it's like requesting for Electroplankton to be a fighter, but everyone is free to support and vote whoever he wants, was just pointing out things.
Just make him draw things that come to life. It doesn't matter if he's not been able to do that before *COUGH COUGH GANONDORF COUGH COUGH DARK FALCON PUNCH*

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm thinking of Duck Hunt Dog, who has a similar problem.
They implemented him making you control the gun, not the dog; you attack with the scope of the gun, and the duck, the dog only moves himself across the stage.
But with Vince the situation is a bit more complex, because he doesn't have the equivalent of the duck on his back who does normal attacks (the only alternative that comes to my mind, is using the paintbrush for regular attacks, but not as a weapon, just painting on the face of the opponents causing poison damages, like Lip's flower), and the fact that when the player draws in Art Academy, Vince is not in the canvas... in Duck Hunt you shoot at the screen where the dog is, so it makes sense for DHD to use the scope as attack; so using the screen as a canvas would be possible but would still look a bit awkward.

Yes, it's possible but you must work VERY VERY VERY hard to came up with a decent moveset (I also don't like the Duck Hunt Duo character in Smash because I think it doesn't make sense for the dog and the duck to be "friend" when in the game you kill the ducks, but still).

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
I have a move idea. Ryu has a down B special that uses a black calligraphy aesthetic. We could use this with Vince, where he has a slow, color-streaked hit, where the color randomizes. Hopefully that makes sense.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I have a move idea. Ryu has a down B special that uses a black calligraphy aesthetic. We could use this with Vince, where he has a slow, color-streaked hit, where the color randomizes. Hopefully that makes sense.
So basically Ryu's down B but with a paintbrush. I imagine something like that being his Neutral B.

Top Bottom