• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Mar 29, 2014] MBP Competition!! (Meele/Brawl/Project) (Dallas Tx)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Black Uzumaki

Smash Cadet
This amazing venue is placed inside of Valley View mall so there will be food around, and we'll have $1 drinks (ex. Sprite, dr pep, lemonade ect) for sale. Located on the second floor of the mall. This mall is very quiet lol like barely anyone comes here, so dont feel awkward smash bros.

Schedule
11:30 AM - Arrival/Registration
1:00 PM - All Tournament Registration Ends / Melee Doubles Begins
1:30 PM - Brawl Singles
2:00 PM - Melee Singles/pools
3:00 PM - Brawl Doubles
4:00 PM - Project: M Doubles
5:00 PM - Project: M Singles/Pools

Fees
Venue: $10 ($5 If you bring a Setup**)
Singles: $10
Doubles: $5 per person
**If you cannot bring a TV, a Wii + BOTH GAMES will still count for the venue discount as long as we have an unused TV for it. Please keep that in mind!

Friendly's are allowed as long as you pay the venue price.

DOUBLE ELIMINATION PROCESS

BEST 2 OUT OF 3 MATCHES

BRAWL Doubles/Singles Rules

3 stock
8 minutes
STARTER MAPS
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi Island

Counter Picks
Pokemon Stadium
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon

1. Player priority is agreed on (or determined).
  2. Each team selects players' controller ports. In doubles, the teammate of the player that picks first must pick last (i.e. selection is in the order 1-2-1).
  3. Each team selects a character. Any player may enforce a double-blind pick (where all players tell a third party their character choice or write their character choice down, and then select the character they said they would choose, where the third party then enforces the prior announced character choices).
  4. The first stage is selected from the list of starter stages, either through mutual agreement, or by stage striking.*
  5. The first game is played.
  6. The loser of the game may opt to repick controller ports, starting with themselves.
  7. The winner of the game may ban a stage if they have not already done so in the set.**
  8. The loser of the game chooses a stage from the list of starter and counterpick stages. A stage cannot be chosen if the other side has banned it or the chooser has already won on the stage in this match.***
  9. The winner selects their character.
  10. The loser selects their character.
  11. The next game is played.
  12. Repeat from step 6 until the sufficient amount of games have been played to determine a winner.
*Stage striking either proceeds in a 1-1-2-etc. order, or a 1-2-1 order, with the players each getting one more initial strike for every 2 stage increase in the starter list.
**Tournaments will occasionally implement two stage bans, especially if a larger stage list is being used and/or Dave's Stupid Rule isn't being implemented.
***Known as Dave's Stupid Rule, a player cannot choose a stage they won on prior. While often used, sometimes an additional stage ban is used instead of enforcing Dave's Stupid Rule

• Double Meta Knight is banned; tournaments that keep Meta Knight legal will not allow players on the same team to both use Meta Knight.
MELEE Rules
4 stocks
8 minute time limit
Items set OFF and NONE
Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Final Destination
Dreamland 64
Fountain of Dreams (Singles Only)
Pokemon Stadium (Doubles Only)
Counter Picks:
Pokemon Stadium (Singles Only)
Kongo Jungle 64 (Doubles Only)

PROJECT: M Rules
4 stocks
8 minute time limit
Items set to OFF and NONE
Buffer OFF
Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Final Destination
Smashville
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story (Singles Only)
Counter Picks:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Warioware
Greenhill Zone
Skyloft
Skyworld
Metal Cavern
Dracula's Castle
Rumble Falls
Distant Planet (Doubles Only)

Addendum for Doubles
Team Attack ON
Life stealing is allowed (note that lifestealing in Project: M is done by pressing A+B rather than Melee's Start)
In the event of a game going to time, the winner will be determined by:
a. Whichever team has more remaining stock.
b. If both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.

Character/Stage Selection Process
Blind Picks character selection.
Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. 1-2-1 (Melee) / 1-2-2-1 (Project: M)
The first match is played.
Winning player of the preceding match bans one stage (Melee) / three stages (Project: M)
The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
The winning player of preceding match picks character.
The losing player picks character.
The next match is played.
Repeat for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.
*Dave's Stupid Rule is in effect for the entirety of the
Addendum for Doubles

Team Attack ON
Life stealing is allowed (note that lifestealing in Project: M is done by pressing A+B rather than Melee's Start)
In the event of a game going to time, the winner will be determined by:
a. Whichever team has more remaining stock.
b. If both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.

Character/Stage Selection Process
Blind Picks character selection.
Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. 1-2-1 (Melee) / 1-2-2-1 (Project: M)
The first match is played.
Winning player of the preceding match bans one stage (Melee) / three stages (Project: M)
The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
The winning player of preceding match picks character.
The losing player picks character.
The next match is played.
Repeat for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.
*Dave's Stupid Rule is in effect for the entirety of the set

Miscellaneous Rules
The TOs are the arbiters of all disputes.
BYOC: Players are expected to bring their own controllers.
DQ Rule: Arriving 5 MINUTES late will lose you ONE match. 10 MINUTES will lose you the SET.
In the event of a match going to time/sudden death, the winner will be determined by:
a. Whoever has more remaining stock left.
b. If stocks of both players are the same, the winner will then be determined by whoever has less percent.
c. If the match ends with both players dying at the same time or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, an identical rematch of the previous match will be played out. Same characters and same stage.
d. In the event of going to sudden death because of suicide kill move (such as Ganon's overB or Dedede's inhale), the player initiating the move will be declared the winner.
Sets will be best out of 3 games.
Loser's Finals, Winner's Finals, and Grand Finals will be best out of 5.
MikeHaze rule: No intentionally disrupting players, whether physically or vocally. This applies to EVERYONE.
Gentleman's Clause: Any rule change (besides 8 minute time limit) is permitted if agreed by both players.
Dave's Stupid Rule: Players cannot counterpick back to a stage they have already won on in the set.
Textures are Cool Clause: Nondisruptive textures and music are allowed. If there is a problem, contact the TOs and we will get it resolved ASAP.

BRING TVS AND SETUP FOR DISCOUNT

THIS CONTEST CAN RUN LONGER THAN LISTED TIME DEPENDING ON ARRIVAL

Take entrance doors on Preston Rd. for less struggle with TV's

Follow me on

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How do you expect to run brawl, melee, and pm in one day? Theres like 5 events
imo scrap brawl but hey I'm not the TO.
I'm looking to come to this anyways

D

Deleted member

either you have to be really really really good at multi-tasking all the events (and even thats impossible sometimes because of some players playing in both events) or we're gonna be here very late

Once again, just throwing out stuff. I'm not the TO here

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
I mean ETFC runs brawl/melee/pm/marvel/street fighter/tekken/KI or dive kick or some other game in one day every time

It's really not all that hard unless you just have 60 entrants per event, but since everyone over there only plays melee and PM, brawl should only have like 20 or maybe 30 entrants, and can get by on 3 or 4 set-ups. You just have to dedicate them to a game

D

Deleted member

Yeah but this is going to be in DALLAS, our melee tournies have 80+ people, same with pm. Out in lindale, you guys have 20 people come out to your ETFC's.

It's a huge difference.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
^Yeah, running THREE games, two of which have both doubles *and* pools for their singles is going to make for a very difficult tourney to run in one day.

Play a Real Game 2 had P:M and Melee, doubles for both, and only pools for P:M yet it ran a few hours late. Point being that even with a strict and well-run schedule and fantastic player-cooperation, the number of players alone will make running this many events in that amount of time difficult.

Also, I wouldn't suggest dropping Brawl simply because I wouldn't want to eliminate an entire game from this event. Rather it'd probably be best to not have any pools. Even then, it will probably be rough... but hey, I'll definitely go if I can! Good luck.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Ya but still brawl is small lol.

The point remains you only need like 3 set-ups for brawl.
One who's Tyler had like 30 PM entrants, 20 or 22 brawl entrants, only like 8 melee entrants but still, doubles for everything, and 3 total TV's and we were done by 11.

Just don't play friendlies and always have sets going you'll be fine, a 30 or 40 man brawl tourney can run throughout the day with 3 set-ups and be done on time, and dedicate everything else to melee/PM

Edit: you could also talk to the venue about a second day if you wanted and add a side-event and remove a lot time stress, but it may cost more

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You also have to remember, brawl is small but it still makes a difference. Since denti would win brawl, he would hold up melee and pm by playing brawl up to GFs. Every person who enters brawl that also enters pm (which could be quite a few, cause brawl players like pm) slows down everything.
Removing brawl = more time for other events, less stress, a few less people in the venue and these days in dallas we need a lot of space in our venues. Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust putting my thought out there.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
No doubt, it wouldn't be an easy feat, but he can definitely do it. Especially if me/denti/oracle/sethlon/UTDZac are in attendance to help out lol. A lot of collective TO experience, especially with UTDZac

EmLeingod

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmLeingod
This is on my bday, but I may or may not show up.

I'll sure as hell try, but that damned family of mine will probably wanna do dinner or something :p

Quot3

Melee'er
3DS FC
4253-4705-1339
What's with all these new tournament series in dfw with amazing venues? Definitely will try to come to this

Oracle

Smash Master
This seriously needs to stop. There are two other tournaments this weekend within driving distance to dallas!

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
hey dude! props on the venue and stuff! gotta question tho, i know its too late to change but for the future check out Oklahoma and other TX info before finalizing a date. that way we can get the top competition from everyone to said event. With the OKI and the TXS goin on the same date the turnout to this wont be as huge as normal ones. which actually might be good if your gonna go through with all 5/6 events in a day. i hope all goes well tho!

The Black Uzumaki

Smash Cadet
hey dude! props on the venue and stuff! gotta question tho, i know its too late to change but for the future check out Oklahoma and other TX info before finalizing a date. that way we can get the top competition from everyone to said event. With the OKI and the TXS goin on the same date the turnout to this wont be as huge as normal ones. which actually might be good if your gonna go through with all 5/6 events in a day. i hope all goes well tho!
yeah I hear you, we might just push the date or see what happens. thanks man!

Last edited:

EmLeingod

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmLeingod
If only my cousin didn't have to have his wedding this weekend, I'd so be there.

D

Deleted member

I'm accepting MMs for PM
You can MM my main, :toonlink:
Or you can MM my side characters :marth:/:roypm:
5 dollar minimum, I like all the money.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
WE HAVE MOVED THIS COMPETITION A WEEK EARLY DUE TO INCONVENIENCE IN SCHEDULE
Its nice that you're able to schedule around the Oklahoma tournament...unfortunately, moving this tournament to March 29th puts it on the same day as the Collected Tournament and Who's Tyler 8! Any way you could push it back to April 12th instead of moving it up a week? April 12th is actually the only date next month that there isn't a tournament on, so it would fill in nicely without conflicting with anything else.

ruthless ganon

Smash Rookie
Quit complaing. I for one am looking foward to this because its close and it looks like its a great venue an potentially an awesome tourney

Mongoose132

Smash Rookie
Its nice that you're able to schedule around the Oklahoma tournament...unfortunately, moving this tournament to March 29th puts it on the same day as the Collected Tournament and Who's Tyler 8! Any way you could push it back to April 12th instead of moving it up a week? April 12th is actually the only date next month that there isn't a tournament on, so it would fill in nicely without conflicting with anything else.
I agree with Sethlon.

Pushing the date back would give me time to ask off for work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom