• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 13, 2014] [Smash64] I Got 64 Problems But A Flaoc Ain't 1: No Controller... (Toronto, ON)

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
~~pidgezero_one and [OSAP] Astro present:~~
I Got 64 Problems But A Flaoc Ain't One
#1: No Controller Johns!

(Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/632832460105134/)
Information
Who: You, obviously!
What: SMASH 64!
Where: A&C World, 702A Spadina Ave (west side of Spadina, south of Bloor St)
http://acgamesonline.com/world/
When: Sunday April 13 12pm-6pm
Why: Toronto's Melee and Brawl scenes are experiencing a revival, while PM is growing in popularity. Our region is getting stronger and stronger, and it's time to continue expanding our offline base for ALL smash games!
How: by giving us your money ($5 venue, $5 for singles, $2 for side event - payouts will be winner takes all due to low entry fee)

Schedule
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM Registration + Friendlies
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM 64 Singles + Side Event
3:00 PM - 3:45 PM Scheduled Lunch Break (DQ-free grace period)
3:45 PM - 6:00 PM 64 Singles + Side Event

Setup Info
We will have:
multiple N64 setups (NTSC console + cart)
one virtual console setup
one PC setup (supports keyboard, N64 and Gamecube controllers via adapters, and Wii controllers via bluetooth).

Netplay keyboard warriors and VC recruits are encouraged to come out! No matter how you like to play, we got you covered.

Please bring cartridges if possible. CRT TVs and N64s are provided by the venue (is that awesome or what, am i right?). N64 and VC setups will be on a CRT. PC setup will be on a laptop provided by the TOs.

Current count:
-2 full N64 setups
-1 VC setup
-1 PC setup

Gameplay Rules
Smash 64: Apex 2014 (yes that's a hyperlink)​
  • 5 stock
  • No Items
  • Double Elimination, Best of 3 (WF, LF, and GF all Best of 5)
  • Starter stage is Dream Land, counterpicks are Kongo Jungle and Peach's Castle.
  • Gentleman's Rule is in effect: Any other stage may be used if both players agree to it.
  • If a player pauses mid-match, the opponent has the right to force the pauser to forfeit a stock or restart the match with a one-stock difference.
  • Players may request that Dark DK, Dark Samus, and Dark Captain Falcon not be used on Kongo Jungle, but must do so before any damage is dealt that game.
Procedure:
  • Game 1: Both players choose character. Stage is Dream Land (or any other stage agreed upon by both players)​
  • Subsequent matches: The loser of the previous game states their stage choice (Dream Land, Kongo Jungle, or Peach's Castle. Another stage may be chosen instead if the previous winner agrees to it.). Winner of previous game then picks their character. Loser of previous game then picks their character.​
Setup rules:
  • By default, all sets will be played on a N64.
  • If a player wishes to use the VC or PC setup due to controller preference, they may mention this to their opponent. If the opponent agrees to it, they may use that setup. If the opponent does not agree, the two players can use Rock-Paper-Scissors (or a Brawl or Melee Game & Watch Judgment ditto, where the winner chooses the setup, if you prefer). In case of further dispute please talk to the TOs.
  • Players will NOT be asked to use the VC or PC setup in place of a N64 to speed up the bracket, even if all the N64s are being used. Use of the VC and PC setups is entirely the choice of the player and will not be pushed by the TOs.
Side Event - All Brawl:
  • Double Elimination, best of 3
  • Random Character (with ZSS inclusion code enabled)
  • All items on Medium
  • All stages turned on
  • Game 1 stage selection is random. Loser picks the stage in subsequent games.
  • 2 stock, 3 minutes

Other Rules
  • Players should take no longer than 10 minutes to report to their match when announced. If you leave the venue during bracket time you risk being DQed, and we really don't want to do that! (Exception: No player will be DQed for lateness during the scheduled lunch break.)​
  • If you like, feel free to leave us your mobile number and pidgezero_one will text you if you're up for a set and we cannot find you.​
  • Match priority: 64 > Side event > MMs = Friendlies​
  • Please try to bring your own controllers as extras are not guaranteed. Adapters for the PC setup are provided, but you can bring your own too if you have one.​

Stream Info
We will have one stream setup which will be broadcast to http://www.twitch.tv/acgamesonline
Smash 64 is the main event
and will be the focus of the stream. Side events will be streamed only if there are matches remaining and 64 Grand Finals is over.

Food
Lick's, Smoke's, BBQUES, Subway, Pizza Pizza, Greg's Ice Cream, hot dogs, swiss chalet, noodle bowl, to name a few

(Food map coming soon)

---------
This is starting off as a bi-monthly series to gauge interest and experiment with inclusive setups. If attendance gets high enough we would like to host once a month, for longer periods, on Saturdays, with proper top 3 payouts, and with doubles!

Our side events are unorthodox rulesets from other smash games, to encourage more adventurous Melee and Brawl players to attend and hopefully expand the offline 64 community.
---------

Last edited:

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
already booked it off for the pokemon tourney the same day there, definitely coming

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
Is the side event really gonna have items on? I feel like it would be funner without items just cause there'd be 2 stocks lol. Id definitely enter if items weren't on
Nevertheless definitely coming to record matches

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Is the side event really gonna have items on? I feel like it would be funner without items just cause there'd be 2 stocks lol. Id definitely enter if items weren't on
Nevertheless definitely coming to record matches
We already have item-less matches at DB :p

Sanu

Smash Champion
Hmmmmmmmm.

I think I'm gonna come to this.

Last edited:

UriNATE

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1392-5619-0492
PSA for U.S residents: Come for the tournament, stay for the poutine.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Does anyone know where I could pick up a keyboard adapter with a N64 port?

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
PLEASE bring cartridges if you can! (Don't worry about consoles, A&C has said they will supply those. We just need cartridges.)

Also, if you have a usb adapter for your controller, please bring it, it can't hurt!

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Hey guys,

It looks like we can't get Classic Controller vs. Keyboard or Keyboard vs Keyboard working on any of our setups. If this is an issue in bracket tomorrow then one player will have to use another controller type. :(

Hopefully it won't be a problem, but in the future I'll look into being able to support all controller permutations. I have some ideas that I unfortunately don't have enough time to test.

Setups we have working:
-N64 vs N64
-N64 vs GC
-N64 vs Keyboard
-N64 vs Classic Controller
-GC vs GC
-GC vs Keyboard
-GC vs Classic Controller
-Classic Controller vs Classic Controller

Top Bottom