• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 12, 2014] Smash Brothers University 2.5 - $1000+ in Pot Bonuses! (Stony Brook, NY)

TheGrape

Smash Cadet
Smash Brothers University 2.5

Making a new event thread to replace the old one.

AP and the SBU Smash Crew presents Long Island's biggest Smash tournament! This time we're running a 2-day event with at least $900 in pot bonuses. Like the previous tournaments, we're keeping our awesome raffle system which lets all you venue goers get refreshments for only $1 while also entering you in our raffle. Last time we gave out 5 brand new white controllers + 1 used salt shaker. This time we might up the prizes with MORE SALT SHAKERS!!! Hype!

Details:
Date - Saturday, April 12, 2013 - Sunday, April 13, 2013
Time - 9:00AM - 11:00PM Both Days
Games - Melee Singles/Doubles, PM Singles/Doubles, Brawl TBD
Pot Bonus - $300 Melee Singles, $150 Melee Teams, $300 PM Singles, $150 PM Teams, $100-300 Brawl Singles
Price - $30 ($15/day) or $20 ($10/day with Pre-Reg), $10 singles, $5 teams (per player)
FB Event Link - https://www.facebook.com/events/278589045623691/

Previous tournament:
SBU 2.0 Results thread
SBU 2.0 Pictures

Pre-Registration
Go here to Pre-reg and save money on the venue fee: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_z437aARjF8-n66GvcrkqWhMgYeps5mk7pF_2-g3cf8/viewform

Important: Venue Change!!
We ran into some problems during reservation and apparently some other group used a 1 frame witchcraft to get the venue before us. Thankfully we were still able to acquire a venue for the 2 days we needed. However, the venue is significantly smaller and a little bit further into campus (still inside campus, close to a Wendys). Obviously this decreases the amount of setups we can have in total. The venue still has plenty of space in it though (~300 people capacity) and maybe we could use the lounge and meeting room as an extension.

Refreshments
We will provide drinks, pizza, and popcorn in the venue. $1 will get you either 1 bottle of drink, 1 slice of pizza, or 1 bag of popcorn. This purchase will also get you 1 raffle ticket which will go towards the raffle to be held near the end of the tournament.

Stream

@ http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios

Hotel/Transportation
The nearest hotel is the Hilton Garden Inn which is located inside of campus. I believe the price per night is $169. We're trying to see if we can get some discounted rates for the event. Another thing we're looking into is getting a bus that will pick up people in Manhattan and drop you off near the venue. Nothing concrete but we are looking for options.

Transportation from NYC can be done via the LIRR. It will cost you $12.50 one-way from Penn Station and $9.75 from Jamaica. There is also a 7Bus which is $7 and drops you in the middle of campus. The only problem with the bus is that you will get to campus at 2:15PM the earliest. Not to mention the last bus to NYC leaves at 5PM.

I'll make a detailed transportation guide soon similar to the one I made in the SBU 2.0 thread. I have to make a new one since the venue location is different.

Discounts*:
Take the LIRR from Zone 1-3 stations (show us receipt) - $2 off
Car pool players to the tournament - $2 off
Bring system + game - $2 off
Bring TV - $2 off
Bring system + game + TV - $5 off

*The discounts can stack for a maximum of $5

Tournament Schedule
***DISREGARD THE SCHEDULE THAT WAS PREVIOUSLY POSTED HERE!!***

Please check the FB event page for details on the current schedule. I apologize for the sudden change this close to the event!! We'll try to be as flexible as we can since we know this will affect a good amount of you guys

FB Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/278589045623691/

Prize Distribution
1st Place: 45%
2nd Place: 23%
3rd Place: 13%
4th Place: 9%
5th Place (2): 5%

Ruleset
Melee/Brawl use the Apex 2013 ruleset - https://www.apex-series.com/rules/melee/
PM ruleset will be made available closer to the tournament date.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Toronto reporting in, may come to this

TheGrape

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the advice. I'll talk to the guys to see what their input is.

I'll put up pre-reg tomorrow or today. For reals this time.

Arrow (Kyle)

Smash Apprentice
I'll be attending this for some PM, now if only I can get a ride from Brooklyn...
Maybe I'll do Melee too, just for some Lawls.

Lord Forcystus

Smash Rookie
Getting ready to fill out the pre-reg form; this'll be the first Smash Event I go to! Compared to my friend group I'm one of the best, but my relative skill to actual competitive smashers is in the gutters, heheh. But hey, there's only so far I can improve without playing against full-time smashers, eh?

Tyler Ruziak

Smash Cadet
Getting ready to fill out the pre-reg form; this'll be the first Smash Event I go to! Compared to my friend group I'm one of the best, but my relative skill to actual competitive smashers is in the gutters, heheh. But hey, there's only so far I can improve without playing against full-time smashers, eh?
You're not the only one my friend. It's been 3 years since my Smash Event. I got 3rd place at the Play n Trade tourneys with teens around 14-17 & I was 12 at the time, the youngest competitor there. I'm a bit rusty tho but don't feel nervous. Fun as hell being there while your heart races. Looking forward to fighting if we get the chance. :)

Lord Forcystus

Smash Rookie
You're not the only one my friend. It's been 3 years since my Smash Event. I got 3rd place at the Play n Trade tourneys with teens around 14-17 & I was 12 at the time, the youngest competitor there. I'm a bit rusty tho but don't feel nervous. Fun as hell being there while your heart races. Looking forward to fighting if we get the chance. :)
Heheheh, well, I haven't been to any form of a smash event other than with my friends, and I've been watching smash tourneys for quite some time now, and I can safely have no expectations in the winning standpoint. Frankly I'm more concerned about meeting veteran smashers and learning from them directly, as at this point that's the only way I can really improve at this point. I don't care how many 4-stocks I need to take, I'm going to have fun and learn, and I think I will :)

Lord Forcystus

Smash Rookie
Are there any big-name smashers that are regulars to Long Island/NYC area tournaments? I've always been curious about which players are closest to me.

Globe

I only care for waifus
Couple of friends and I will be attending. Like Lord Forcystus this will be our first 'legit' tournament. Looking forward to it.

TheGrape

Smash Cadet
FB link fixed. It was linking to SBU 2.0 the entire time. We also placed orders for 6 white controllers for this event. We've been heavily discussing the schedule for a couple of days now and the finalized schedule will be up either tonight or tomorrow. From the looks of it we will have:

Day 1
Brawl Singles Bracket
PM Singles Pools
Melee Singles Pools

Day 2
PM Teams
Melee Teams
PM Singles Bracket
Melee Singles Bracket

Is pre-registering the only option to pay or can you register in person?
You can pay in person. Pre-registering makes planning easier for us and also gets you discounts!

Are there any big-name smashers that are regulars to Long Island/NYC area tournaments? I've always been curious about which players are closest to me.
DJN, Hax, and The Moon all came up to our biweekly a bit over a month ago. Our biweeklies always have a good showing so do check it out one of these days.

TehMrMeow

Smash Rookie
Hi, this will be the first tournament I'll be attending and I'm pretty excited! I'm just wondering though, if you want to compete will you have to be there the whole day (9am to 11pm), until you're out of the brackets I guess? Anybody's knowledge/advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks ~TehMrMow

phish-it

Smash Champion
If you want to compete you'll need to be there from the time the tournament starts until you get eliminated (or until your tournament matches end for the day). Though you'll probably want to get there with some time to warm up before bracket begins.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Looking forward to my first tournament appearance! Should be fun!

TheGrape

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! Stream for this event is going to be done by Smash Studios!

Check out their page at: http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios

***DISREGARD THE SCHEDULE THAT WAS PREVIOUSLY POSTED HERE!!***

Please check the FB event page for details on the current schedule. I apologize for the sudden change this close to the event!! We'll try to be as flexible as we can since we know this will affect a good amount of you guys

FB Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/278589045623691/

Last edited:

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
DJN, Hax, and The Moon all came up to our biweekly a bit over a month ago. Our biweeklies always have a good showing so do check it out one of these days.
I'm definitely coming to this tournament, but is there an event page to the biweeklies?

TheGrape

Smash Cadet
Very last minute changes made to the schedule. Please check the FB page for details. I apologize for the sudden changes.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Can't believe I didn't realize that this was this weekend... Really annoyed I didn't get a chance to go... =/

Top Bottom