• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apparently, nintendo is sponsoring evo

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
http://evo.shoryuken.com/ (at the bottom)
So nintendo is sponsoring evo. This is a complete 180 for them

What do you doods think about a possible announcement! I wouldn't bet on anything being announced but it seems like a perfect time to reveal Captain Falcon!!
image.jpg

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
HOLY CRAP
This is amazing news.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Not sure about an announcement, the finals are on a sunday iirc and usually at Evo that's when announcements are made. It's not impossible, but I find it unlikely.

Regardless this is great news, Nintendo more than just learned from their mistake from last year, they have become actually supportive of the scene.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
We went from Nintendo trying to close down streams, to making a Smash 4 tournament, making a gamecube adapter, and sponsoring EVO? Smash will never die at this point.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Inb4 character reveal at EVO.
I would love if it was captain falcon considering ya know fan favorite but if a trailer was revealed during evo for a newcomer I couldn't imagine it getting more hype...unless they gave captain falcon a sonic style trailer.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That is pretty crazy for a company that hates competitive gaming.
I feel like Nintendo's higher ups could join a big-named tournament and you'd still have that attitude.

This is a pretty big advancement, I think.

pickle962

Smash Lord
Now im REALLY anticipating the release of Smash 4! The game doesn't have to be exactly like Melee right down to the exact same art style lol. However, as long as Sm4sh feels fast and fluid enough and has enough competitive depth so that it completely distances itself from the slap in the face called Brawl while also being accessible enough for newbies who want to get good enough for competitive play who may have been intimidated by the high level playstyle of Melee, that's all I care about in the end :) Oh and I look forward to Reggie making good on his promise at the invitational someday ;)

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I don't really follow EVO, but I am assuming Super Smash Bros. Brawl was never part of the line-up?

That is pretty crazy for a company that hates competitive gaming.
They've never hated competitive gaming. Considering in the 90s, they often held game tournaments for NES and some SNES games.

Last edited:

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
I just posted this to my local smash facebook group.
This is awesome!

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
They've never hated competitive gaming. Considering in the 90s, they often held game tournaments for NES and some SNES games.
WHAT? This actually happened?
Also, about the topic, I think that Nintendo is actually supporting competitive smash for real this time.
And to think that just a year ago they tried to shut down Melee at EVO.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
WHAT? This actually happened?
Also, about the topic, I think that Nintendo is actually supporting competitive smash for real this time.
And to think that just a year ago they tried to shut down Melee at EVO.
Yep, it was called Nintendo World Championships.

EDIT: I was mistaken- no SNES games. I vaguely remember reading on this event.

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Really is amazing.

It's in Nintendo's best interests afterall. Glad, they are making it happen. Win-Win.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Definitely a nice change of pace compared to last year's EVO. Not that I watched it but the whole Nintendo wanting to shut it down was bad news regardless.
And don't hold your breath on a character announcement. They waited till a press only round table to announce Pacman instead of the Invitational, which would have generated WAY more hype. Instead all we got there was yet another explanation of Smash Run even though they've already gone over it like 5 times!

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I think items were on for more excitement (which is dumb) , but I don't really know, I wasint around back then
I was around for that; I even discussed the item list with a few of the organizers. It wasn't done for hype, it was done because the FGC aren't scrubs and try as hard as possible to refrain from banning things until they are proven in bracket to be broken, and since we, as a community, refused to use items in tournaments, Mr. Wizard and co. determined that it was their responsibility to have as full a ruleset as possible.

CPU won that set fair and square. Ken admitted that he didn't practice with items at all before the event, and it shows in his play; he has no idea how to use anything on the stage. Meanwhile, CPU understood and showed mastery of all of the legal items, used them properly, and thus trounced the out-of-practice and under-informed former-king-of-Smash. When you don't practice the game with the rules used, you lose.

The only reason that event was railed on by us was because Ken entered, and we all assumed he'd win for emotional reasons. When the event's results didn't match our expectations, we blamed the game, instead of doing the rational thing and having Ken take responsibility for his poor Brawl play.

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
I was around for that; I even discussed the item list with a few of the organizers. It wasn't done for hype, it was done because the FGC aren't scrubs and try as hard as possible to refrain from banning things until they are proven in bracket to be broken, and since we, as a community, refused to use items in tournaments, Mr. Wizard and co. determined that it was their responsibility to have as full a ruleset as possible.

CPU won that set fair and square. Ken admitted that he didn't practice with items at all before the event, and it shows in his play; he has no idea how to use anything on the stage. Meanwhile, CPU understood and showed mastery of all of the legal items, used them properly, and thus trounced the out-of-practice and under-informed former-king-of-Smash. When you don't practice the game with the rules used, you lose.

The only reason that event was railed on by us was because Ken entered, and we all assumed he'd win for emotional reasons. When the event's results didn't match our expectations, we blamed the game, instead of doing the rational thing and having Ken take responsibility for his poor Brawl play.
Oh ok, thanks for the knowledge.

Top Bottom