• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

APF/Top Games Throwdown 2013 - Guaranteed $1000 pot for Project M! - May 25th, 2013 - Birmingham, AL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I was asked to throw an event page up and get the word out now that the details have been worked out.

There is an annual 3-day convention in Birmingham which caters to fans of science fiction, comics, anime, and gaming.

http://www.alabamaphoenixfestival.com/

This year, some local benefactors are hosting a large video game tournament event in order to give Alabama its first real regional for the fighting game community. There will be $6000 in prize money for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and Project M.

http://www.alabamaphoenixfestival.com/events/apf-tg_throwdown.html

To enter the event, you must buy a $65 convention/tournament pass, which is a three-day pass for the convention, as well as entry into any and all of the tournaments listed. You can either buy a pass at the following link or at the door, but the online pre-registration deadline is May 15, and buying a pass at the door may involve sitting in a line for a looooong time.

http://alabamaphoenixfestivalstore....main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=19

Prizes:

1st: $500
2nd: $200
3rd: $100
4th: $75
5th: $50
6th-8th: $25

That said, I'm here specifically to advertise the Project M event. The rules on the page listed there are confusing and incorrect (it says "Project M" on the logo but has Brawl rules) because it was initially going to be a Brawl tournament (and there will probably be Melee and Brawl side events). I'm gonna try to get that fixed within the next couple of days. There could be a Doubles side tournament on Friday if there is time and interest.

The Project M event starts at 10 AM (Central Time) on Saturday and goes on until it reaches Top 8. The rest of the event plays out at noon on Sunday (again, Central Time).

The rules for the Project M Singles tournament are listed here:

Project M Ruleset:

1. 4 Stocks
2. 8 Minute Time Limit
3. Items set to “Off” and “None”
4. Buffer set to "Off"
5. Modified Dave’s Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick the stage he or she last won on unless agreed upon by both players.
6. In the event of a match going to time/sudden death, the winner will be determined by:
a. Whoever has more remaining stock left.
b. If stocks of both players are the same, the winner will then be determined by whoever has less percent.
c. If the match ends with both players dying at the same time or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, an identical rematch of the previous match will be played out. Same characters and same stage.
d. In the event of going to sudden death because of suicide kill move (such as Ganon's overB or Dedede's inhale), the player initiating the move will be declared the winner.
7. Sets will be best out of 3 games. Loser's Finals, Winner's Finals, and Grand Finals will be best out of 5.

Character/Stage Selection Process:

1. Blind Picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1-2-2-1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans two stages.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Stagelist:

STARTERS:
Battlefield, Dreamland, Final Destination, Pokemon Stadium 2, Smashville, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams

COUNTERPICK STAGES:
All stages on the front page of the stage select screen, minus SSE Jungle.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Moved back into Hoover and large tournament pops up. Lovin it, if I don't start the new job immediately or if I can get this weekend off I'll be there and offer rides.

Vro

Smash Lord
Turn off Metal Cavern and some other stages if you have the power, Reflex.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I added the pot split and corrected registration stuff; you have to order the 3-day convention/tournament pass in order to enter.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Is there a time limit on when you need to order the passes by, and does there need to be a minimum amount of entrants in order to guarantee to pot total?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Just talked to the host; you can actually buy the $65 convention/tournament pass at the door, but you absolutely have to buy the $65 one to enter (which, again, enters you into any of the tournaments you're interested in playing in, as well as giving you a three-day convention pass).

Also, he says the prize pot will be $1000 "even if just five people show up." There you go.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Double-post for importance: Buying a pass at the door is possible, but it will probably cause you to stand in a line for a loooooong while. Online pre-registration ends on May 15, so I highly recommend doing that and/or showing up on Friday.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I dunno. I won. Not many people showed up because it was the weekend before finals.

-Chad-

Slackerator
hm 65$ to enter a tournament in a convention where i've had many past experiences not actually getting prizes (even tho they were advertised)

nah thanks

to clarify it wasnt this particular convention I'm speaking of. I'm just speaking overall, conventions have a bad track record at least for me.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
No but really... why is this P:M. It's not even an "official" game.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
well damn I've never thought of that one, you've convinced me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom