• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

aMSa at MasterHand 6

THE adversary

Smash Cadet
discussion thread for the red yoshi's performance at MasterHand 6.

My initial impressions after watching bits and pieces of his MasterHand 6 sets

• it looks like he's starting to use dthrow to techchase fox now. can someone check the reliability of this, and what percents it works at? does Yoshi have any other techchase options?
  • his neutral seems to alternate between dtilt+CC spam and wavelands+DJC aerials (i think it's expecially noticeable on Game 1 of Winner's Finals against Rudolph)
  • aMSa uses upsmash a lot more, too, especially under platforms and stuff

if I get anything wrong let me know; i'm only starting to look deeper into matches and the neutral game of melee and i would really love to see what others think

PsyRex

Smash Cadet
I think I saw you made a similar post on Reddit, but there is information on dthrow techchasing fastfallers in the "Some Yoshi Information" thread. There is also some information in that thread somewhere about platform techchases, which I may try to find actually.

kofinater

Smash Apprentice
are there vids for this tourney? I'd like to watch him then i'll add to this discussion

DD151

Smash Journeyman
@PerhapsMan Would it be possible to check if D-throw truly combos into D-smash if they DI away and won't land on a platform, like in the part of aMSa's set I linked above?
Already done: http://smashboards.com/threads/some-yoshi-information.351635/page-5#post-19088966

D-throw > D-smash combos on DI away starting at 6%; however, you have to be frame perfect.
  • it looks like he's starting to use dthrow to techchase fox now. can someone check the reliability of this, and what percents it works at? does Yoshi have any other techchase options?
http://smashboards.com/threads/some-yoshi-information.351635/

In the opening post, Combo Options > D-throw follow-ups > Tech-chasing fastfallers.

As I stated in the post that I linked to Kimimaru above, DJC U-air after D-throw is guaranteed on DI behind, no DI, and slight DI away. Up angled F-smash is also guaranteed on DI behind and no DI until some high %. Teching is required on full DI away until 144% for Fox (depends slightly on controller port and not tested for Falco). D-smash is possible vs. Fox starting at 6% with a frame-perfect wavedash and D-smash input (probably higher for Falco since Yoshi has less frame advantage after D-throw).

Tech chasing is easiest with dash grab to cover tech rolls and U-tilt to cover tech in place (any tilt works here as well). Running D-smash can serve as a direct kill move off tech rolls. aMSa's tech chasing method is weird - he does a short hop to the location of the tech instead of a wavedash - and this potentially allows Yoshi to cover tech in place with U-air, but I think it's also easier to mess up.

EDIT: If you watch aMSa's LF set vs. Kou, he drops most of his tech chase set-ups using the short hop method. Tech in place vs. spacies is normally pretty hard to cover anyway, since they shine you if you're too slow, so I think wavedashing to the tech location is better. You need a perfect wavedash angle, but the timing is fairly lenient since Yoshi doesn't have to be actionable until frame 18 of the teching animation at the latest in order to punish tech in place with a U-tilt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom