• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate Costumes CONFIRMED

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Bring Kaptain K. Rool right the f**k on.

Seriously, I hope this is more than just another "Wario alone is special" case, and that Sakurai realizes that alternate costumes expand a character's uniqueness and identity, rather than diminishing them.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
This gives me hope for a greater variety of costumes for more characters.

I'm positive we'll be getting the girl version of the Villager. Maybe female Pikachu alts too?

We could also possibly get Outset Toon Link.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Technically Sakurai didn't say it was an alt costume, so we must be cautious. It does look good though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Technically Sakurai didn't say it was an alt costume, so we must be cautious. It does look good though.
Animations are the same.

No new character spot on the Dojo.

It's an alternate costume.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The Smash website didn't take him as a new character, so it's definitely an alternate costume for Wii Fit Trainer.

Actually I meant it could be like an Assist Trophy. Til Sakurai confirms who Mr. Wii Fit is as far as role, I can't really say much. Alt costume or Assist Trophy, or maybe even the "trick" in Trick-or-Treat that Sakurai might be planning.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
An Assist Trophy? Still incredibly unlikely. It's the only possibilty other than an alt costume, and even then it's an extremely slim one.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Right on! Alt costumes! Though, as an obnoxious feminist, I must say it's a little off-putting that Smash finally got another female character, and she comes with the option to turn her into a man.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We need more talk of a Female Pokemon Trainer.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Just remember: Sakurai has tricked and/or surprised us many times before, such as Miss Wii Fit being a character, the TL thing, etc. So yea. We can say that's an alt costume now, but still waiting for true confirmation.

Hello.

Smash Cadet
Just remember: Sakurai has tricked and/or surprised us many times before, such as Miss Wii Fit being a character, the TL thing, etc. So yea. We can say that's an alt costume now, but still waiting for true confirmation.
You must be really clueless if you were tricked by either of those.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

Of course not newbie. But I feel that you haven't been around when specific conversations have occurred. The TL example, in which the TL in the Spirit Tracks stage was considered to have confirmed that he won't be playable, but Sakurai surprised ppl by bringing him back was the best example I could think of bout Sakurai's surprises as far as character-related stuff goes without mentioning the obvious WFT thing. And before you say something like I was part of the ppl being tricked to that... No, just no, as I just watched the topic from the sidelines.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This is obviously an Alt Costume, nothing hints at it being anything else, and everything looks to be just it. Makes sense too.

Only really expecting Female Villager, alongside Classic Wario of course, but I'd love Meta Ridley (if he's in that is), and Doctor Mario would be neat too.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703

? Can you honestly say you were expecting WFT? I'd like to see where and when you predicted that, bud. : P

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
This is actually MORE exciting than a character update IMO.

last time alt costumes was WASTED on just wario when so much more could have been done. This means that the voice recording for a female wii fit trainer probably will also have a male voice recording and the moveset will be on that male character model as welll which is somewhat significantly different body frame than wii fit trainer.

some people are against it but alt costumes not only adds obvious possibilities (female pokemon trainer, female villager, dr. mario) but also could literally expand the roster significantly.

now some people are against this wanting their favorite "character" to get in with their "own spot" but the possibility of daisy, roy, dixie kong etc... as alt costumes not taking up character spots but still getting into the game none the less is now very VERY possible.

As someone who would like to see as many characters make it in as possible regardless of a completely unique moveset (clones as alt costumes is acceptable imo) this is probably one of the most exciting updates we've seen yet.

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
Right on! Alt costumes! Though, as an obnoxious feminist, I must say it's a little off-putting that Smash finally got another female character, and she comes with the option to turn her into a man.
HAHAH, that's true. Normally, I'd agree wholeheartedly, but the only reason it was done was due to her already having a male form in the Wii Fit game.

D

Deleted member

I'm glad to see that alternate costumes are going to be in this game and I hope that other characters will get them besides just Wario and the Wii Fit Trainer.

I'm hoping to see Dr. Mario for Mario, Mr. L for Luigi, Dry Bowser for Bowser, Ocarina of Time Ganondorf for Ganondorf, Unmasked Meta Knight for Meta Knight, and a few others.

D

Deleted member

You know whose chances this boosts?

The Avatar from FE13.
I don't think that the alternate costumes boosts the chances of the Avatar from Awakening. I think that there are other hurdles the Avatar must overcome before he/she becomes playable. (the biggest ones being Roy and Chrom) However, if the Avatar does get in, then I think that we will see both the male and female be playable and alternate costumes of each other.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It helps the Avatar in the sense that Sakurai does not need to pick a specific gender for a character without a defined one, he can just put both in.

I think Villager and Pokemon Trainer are both good candidates to get female forms.

Top Bottom