• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alright, edgeguard time.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
i've been getting annoyed by peach vs. marth matches where peaches dont know the first thing about edge guarding marth. This is an edge guard I came up with and works almost everytime barring they have too much height or a saved double jump, but that goes for any edge guard.

anyway, marth's off the stage, prefferably not too high, but sometimes it'll work like that if they're an idiot. go to the ledge, grab a turnip, face towards the stage, float back so you are directly above the ledge. wait for marth to get really close, and in one swift motion, stop floating, drop your turnip, and grab the ledge. what happens is that since marth needs to go almost completely vertical to recover, dropping the turnip while he's near either

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A: forces him to up B too early, effectively wasting his up B dodging the turnip and you ledge hog him.

B: he up B's into the turnip, gets knocked away from the ledge, and you ledge hog him anyway since he cant get the horizontal distance.

C: he up B's into the turnip, getting knocked toward the stage and depending gets stuck underneath or gets stage spiked

D: he up B's into the turnip, getting knocked toward the stage, tech jumps, waits too long to up B, and still gets ledge hogged

E: he up B's into the turnip, getting knocked toward the stage, tech jumps, up B's, allowing you to stand up and down smash him to repeat the process

F: he up B's early enough to land on the stage, giving you ample time to get up and down smash and repeat the process.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

scenario's A, B, and F are most likely to occur, since being so close to the as to be knocked towards it is rare, and as you can see, every scenarion if done correctly basically owns them.

this also works on Link, YL, and samus because you can drop a turnip on their grapple, make them lose it and force an up B that you can ledge hog.

this significantly reduces marth's life expectancy.

Sepph

Smash Rookie
Against Marth you can also Light-Shield Edge Hog him by rolling towards the edge, get your light shield out and move it down so the Dolphin Slash won't hit you. If the UpB is not sweetspoted then it'll crash with your shield, you'll drop off the ledge, grabbing it and Marth will die.

I've noticed that if you roll towards the edge and you end up facing backwards, pull a turnip and press down+a it will drop the turnip guarding the ledge all the way down...not as fast as the method above but can be abused (drop 2 or 3 turnips instead of 1). I guess it's not very good because you don't actually edge hog, but may be useful in some cases (or maybe just fun).

i've been getting annoyed by peach vs. marth matches where peaches dont know the first thing about edge guarding marth. This is an edge guard I came up with and works almost everytime barring they have too much height or a saved double jump, but that goes for any edge guard.

anyway, marth's off the stage, prefferably not too high, but sometimes it'll work like that if they're an idiot. go to the ledge, grab a turnip, face towards the stage, float back so you are directly above the ledge. wait for marth to get really close, and in one swift motion, stop floating, drop your turnip, and grab the ledge. what happens is that since marth needs to go almost completely vertical to recover, dropping the turnip while he's near either

A: forces him to up B too early, effectively wasting his up B dodging the turnip and you ledge hog him.

B: he up B's into the turnip, gets knocked away from the ledge, and you ledge hog him anyway since he cant get the horizontal distance.

C: he up B's into the turnip, getting knocked toward the stage and depending gets stuck underneath or gets stage spiked

D: he up B's into the turnip, getting knocked toward the stage, tech jumps, waits too long to up B, and still gets ledge hogged

E: he up B's into the turnip, getting knocked toward the stage, tech jumps, up B's, allowing you to stand up and down smash him to repeat the process

F: he up B's early enough to land on the stage, giving you ample time to get up and down smash and repeat the process.

scenario's A, B, and F are most likely to occur, since being so close to the as to be knocked towards it is rare, and as you can see, every scenarion if done correctly basically owns them.

this also works on Link, YL, and samus because you can drop a turnip on their grapple, make them lose it and force an up B that you can ledge hog.

this significantly reduces marth's life expectancy.
u think ur cool now?

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Ah, I love putting people into situations where every possible outcome has been formulaicly calculated to have Peach come out on top.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
One way i edge guard marth is by floating backwards off the stage, then dropping off it and falling into a back air...hitting him far enough away so he doesn't have a chance of recovering...this is a little more risky, but it's annoying as hell for the marth player...just dont drop down 2 far cuz if u get under the marth they might get a free spike.

Top Bottom