• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FHG rankings system

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if I mislead you into thinking this has something to do with the Smashboards rankings system. I was working on this before the Smashboards ranking system came out and I do not want anyone thinking I am slapping it in the face. What I think would be cool is if the Smashboards rankings system and this system work in tandem with each other. As of now, I have no idea on how we could have them work together and would like your ideas on it. I want to tell you up front that I have no intentions to replace any rankings system with my own. This is just my personal dream of how this community could be ran in the future. My sincere thanks to you for clicking on this thread, and if this becomes your wish after you are done reading the thread, click the "Like" button at the bottom of this post.

== Explanation of the FHG==

Unlike other rankings system that use whatever tournament results are posted on it, the FHGrs only uses official tournaments(OT for short) designed specifically for the rankings system. These tournaments divide the players entering into ranks. The players then play the other players in their rank in a round robin format. Winners of the pool move up into the next rank. When the players who won enter another OT, they play the other players in the new rank that they earned.

The FHGrs has seven ranks.
Shown below.

Legend(highest rank)
S
A
B
C
D
E(lowest rank)

As I have mentioned before, each rank has it's own round robin pool. Winners of the pool move up to the next rank.*

(* there are positions other than first that will qualify a player to the next rank. More on this when the technical section of the rules spoiler comes out.)

With FHGrs's design you are clearly able to see how much a player has improved compared to the other players in his rank. If the player has trained hard enough so that he wins the pool he is rewarded not only with a higher rank but with a cash amount respective to his defeated rank's pool as well.*

(Pot percentages for different pools will be explained when the technical section of the rules spoiler comes out.)

=Official Tournaments and you=

When an OT will be ran in a region(in this case, state/territory/province) for the first time, a start-up OT will be implemented. (CD1)This start-up OT will not assign players ranks and will be ran in a pools only format(CD2). You will be given your rank depending on your placement at the end of the tournament. Players will vote on who they want the TO to be exactly like they would do for a regular OT.

Official tournaments will occur every three months (called a season). The tournaments occuring regularly like this will give players time to train and improve their skills while still maintaining an accurate judgement of skill on MR2rs' part.

Because this is a community project, TOs (tournament organizers) will be able to volunteer to organize the OTs and enforce their rules. Players living in the same state/province/territory as the volunteering TOs will be able to vote on which TO they would like to see organizing that season's OT.

======= FHGrs details ======

I have started making the spoilers that will be here but they are far from complete, here is an explanation on the rest of the spoilers that will be here.

VOLUNTEER
Will tell you how you can volunteer for different tasks needed for the MR2rs to work. Another section of this spoiler will show the list of the volunteers and the tasks they perform.

SUGGESTIONS
A spoiler that will give advice on how the TOs of OTs can better run the OT. Will also contain a formula that prevents players from playing two matches in a row in round robin pools.

Q&A
A list of all the questions that will be asked about the MR2rs and their answers. Ask me questions by starting a conversation with me(Zach777) on my account of Smashboards. Make sure to title it MR2rs question. (Start a conversation with me by clicking on my username then click on "start a new conversation". Then title it MR2rs question, then write out your question in the box below.

Click on the quote below to view.
RU1 All events are BYOC(bring your own controller)

RU2 All sets of an OT are best two out of three games with the exception of an elimination brackets finals which are best three out of five games with no stage bans(RU9).(more details in the TECHNICAL section when it comes out.)

RU3 The order of how a set is played works like this.
1. Both players select their character (RU4) and their port (RU5)
2. Stage strike (RU6.A) or agree on (RU6.B) the stage to be used for game one out of the Starters list.
3. Winner announces if he is switching his character or keeping it.(RU7)
4. Loser chooses his character.
5. Loser chooses both his and his opponent's port.(RU8)
6. Winner announces stage ban.(RU9)
7. Loser counterpicks stage. (RU10.A and RU10.B)
If the winner of game one loses game two, repeat steps 3 through 3 and 7. (CD3)

RU4 At the beginning of a set, double blind character pick must be performed if either of the players in the match request it. If neither player requests it, this rule will be ignored.

RU5 At the beginning of a set, best one of one game of rock/paper/scissors with the winner deciding the port must be performed if there is a dispute over who gets the higher port and one of the players requests it. This rule will be ignored if neither player requests it.

RU6.A The stage used for the first game of a set will be determined by stage striking the stages on the Starters list. (Both players are given an equal number of strikes. The lower port player uses all but one of his strikes, the higher port player uses all of his strikes, the lower port player then uses his last strike. The stage for game one will be the stage that was not stage striked after the players used all of their strikes.)

RU6.B Stage striking will be ignored if both players in the match agree to play on a stage out of the Starters list.

RU7 The winner of the last game must announce that he is switching his character before his opponent switches his character. If the winner does not announce that he is switching his character he will be character locked and cannot change for the upcoming game.

RU8 The loser of the previous game can choose both his and his opponent's port. Please note that in doubles(a.k.a. Team Battle) the team who has a player in the P4 port must have the other player in the P1 port. The team with a player in the P4 port is considered the higher port player.

RU9 The winner of the prievious game will be given one stage ban that he can use on any stage out of the stagelist for the next game. A stage that has been banned cannot be counterpicked. Stage bans only last for one game and a player cannot save his stage ban for a later game.

RU10.A The loser of a prievious game will counterpick a stage out of either the Starters or Counterpicks list which will be used for the next game. A banned stage cannot be counterpicked to.

RU10.B The loser cannot counterpick to a stage that he last won on in that set uless agreed upon by the opponent.

RU11.A If a game lasts until a time-out occurs, the winner of that game will be whoever has the most stocks left. When the number of stocks left is the same for both players, then the winner will be whoever has the least amount of damage.

RU11.B If the amount of stocks left and the amount of damage are the same for both players, then the winner will be decided by a one stock, three minute tiebreaker played on the same stage the timed-out game was played on.

RU11.C Any character that starts a game with items already on the stage (example: Zero Suit Samus in Brawl) must throw all the items off the stage at the beginning of the tiebreaker.

RU12 Stalling will result in a warning, failure to immediately stop the stalling will result in loss of game. Stalling another time after the warning, even if the player heeded the initial warning when it was given, will result in loss of the set. (The act of stalling occurs when a player uses an infinite past the 250% damage mark or when a player remains in a section of the stage that the opponent has no options of damaging him or killing him on. If a player remains in a position of the stage like it was described before but uses the position as a recovery method, the rule will be ignored. The act of stalling is a player rendering the game unplayable for his opponent.

RU13.A In the event that pause is pressed in-game, the player who paused the game will lose one stock.

RU13.B The initiator of a pause will not lose his stock if the reason for the pausing was that the console on which he and his opponent were playing on lost connection with the tv screen and caused it to black out.

RU14 If the wrong stage, character or settings was chosen for a game, either player may pause and quit the game within ten seconds of the start of the game without being given a penalty.

RU15 Any player who paused and quit a game will lose the game he quit.

RU16.A In the event that the console loses function while a game is being played, the game will be restarted from the beginning on the same stage that was being played on in the game that the console lost funtion in. Sets wins and losses are not affected by such events

RU17 Any person who disrupts the function of a console deliberately while a game is being played will be disqualified from the tournament and expelled from the venue.

RU18 Nobody is allowed to play a match for someone else in the tournament. Anyone who does this will be expelled from the venue and will be disqualified from the tournament.

RU19 No person is allowed to interfere physically with another person. This includes, but is not limited to, hitting a person's controller, talking loudly or screaming into a player's ear. Also included is blocking a player's view of the screen while that player is playing his match. The refs, ERs(will be explained elsewhere eventually) and TOs of an OT are the judges of an action being deemed interference or not. Acts of minor interference will lead to a warning, any acts of interference afterward will be punished with expulsion from the venue and disqualification from the tounament. Major acts of interference of will be punished with immediate expulsion from the venue and disqualification from the tournament with no warning.

RU20 If a suicide was used to end a game when both players had only one stock left, the user of the suicide will win that game. (A suicide is when a player uses a move that takes off both his and his opponents stock at the same time.)

RU21 A member of a team/crew cannot touch his teammate's controller during a game. One touch will result in a warning and loss of one stock for the team. Another touch after the warning will result in a disqualification from the tournament for that team.

RU22 In team battle, life stealing is allowed as long as the teammate who has his stock taken has more than one stock left.

RU23 Each player(or player on a team) at the beginning of a match is given two minutes to set his preferred personal settings/button mapping. If given time expires, the player who exceeded his time limit must play with the settings the way they were at the moment time expired.

RU24.A At the beginning of a match, after RU23 has been completed, a one minute button check must be performed if one of players in the match requests it. The stage used for the button check must be on the Starters list. Both players in the match share the same button check. If a player in the button check discovers something wrong with his controller, he will be given three minutes to fix the problem with his button mapping or personal settings. He may then have another one minute button check if he requests to.

RU24.B If the problem with his controller is not in-game, he will be given his choice of either having a three minute time to correct the problem or have his match postponed until after the end of the next period. He may then request to perform rules RU23and RU24.A again.

RU24.C Players are not allowed to attack each other in-game(or out of:troll:) during a button check.

RU25 Controllers with turbo or slow capabilities are not allowed to play in tournament.

RU26 Any modded and/or third party controllers must be permitted to play by the TO. Visual alterations and changes of the sticks for the controllers are permitted. Removal of the spring in the shoulder buttons are also permitted.

RU27 Usage of a known glitch that freezes the console will result in a warning and loss of game. Another usage of a console freezing glitch after the warning will result in disqualification from the tournament.

RU28 Trying to cause an OT to run past time by exploiting loopholes in the rules is strictly forbidden. Violators will be punished by expulsion from the venue and disqualification from the tournament.

RU29 Coaching is allowed as long as there is only one person at a time who is coaching the player. The coach must be on the opposite side of his player's opponent or he will not be allowed to coach.
A list of rules that applies to all the Smash games. Let me know if I missed anything and you see potential loopholes. Also, there is a CD on if we should have hacks in OTs allowed or not(CD6).
As of now, this spoiler only consists of a Universial rules spoiler. Later on this spoiler will contain all the rules of the MR2rs in their appropiate spoilers.
CD1 Should we use the start-up OT as described above or assign ranks to players based on their past results?

CD2 Should the start-up OTs use a pools into bracket format or a pools only format?

CD3 In the Universial Smash games rules draft I have implemented a standard set order. Should I use slob picks instead?
Standard set order.
1. Players choose their ports and characters.
2. Stage strike
3. Winner of game one chooses his character.
4. Loser chooses his character.
5. Loser chooses ports for him and his opponent.
6. Winner bans stage
7. Loser chooses his stage
8. Repeat steps 3 through 7 if the loser of game one won game two.

Slob picks order
1. Stage strike
2. Players choose their character and ports.
3. Winner bans stage
4. Loser bans stage
5. Winner chooses his character.
6. Loser chooses his character.
7. Loser chooses ports for himself and his opponent.
8. If loser of game one won game two, repeat steps 3 through 7.

CD4 Should Meta Knight be banned in Brawl? (I hate the idea of this being a CD but maybe we can solve this problem once and for all. Or at least give everyone an understanding on both sides of the argument.)

CD5 Should we implement an evaluation OT every two years that will move players a rank up or down or keep them the same rank based on the results?

CD6 Should the FHGrs allow textures hacks in it's OTs?
Also called CDs in th.is post. A list of problems that I cannot solve on my own and would like to hear the community's opinions. We will discuss the CDs in this thread in the order I decide. The CDs being discussed will be shown on the post I reserved at the bottom of this post.

====== Ending Words ======

Because this is a community project it requires a community effort. If you would like to see FHGrs project become a reality and stay one, then please volunteer and do your part. Even if all you will do is count the votes on TOs it would be greatly appreciated by me. Thank you.

If you want FHGrs to become a reality, then please, "Like" this post. Thank you.

Last edited:

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Reserved for me. Please tell me your feedback, whether positive or negative. I am open to your suggestions. Please, I beg you, this forum on Smashboards rarely gets attention, I need you to spread the word about the FHGrs. Tell your friends to leave feedback and to like this thread.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Din8595

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Din8595
A slight flaw might be that I'm guessing is that everybody would start as E rank and since only one person could win in a rank it would take some time to populate each ranking to have an actual competition in each ranking.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Woops. I didn't write that part in.

When a region(in this case, state/territory/province) has an OT in it for the first time, players in the region will enter a start up OT. This start-up will not assign ranks to players and will probably be ran in a swiss or pool bracket. Depending on how you rank in the start-up will determine the rank you are assigned for the next OT.

If you don't enter the start-up, you will start at the lowest rank(E)

But there is a CD on having players ranked based on past tourney results. This way of assigning ranks will be harder than running a start-up so it won't be implemented unless someone gives me a good reason not to have the start-up

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Alright, yes this is a double post, but it was separated by quite some time. I still believe this idea will become a fantastic reality, so I will continue working on it.

I have been re-thinking the idea of people competing in a start-up OT. What I think would be better for a region's first OT would be to rank players based on their score in the Smashboards rankings system. The players will then play against the other players in their rank like at regular OTs.

I would like to hear the opinions of everyone on this idea in this thread.
Please and thank you.

Top Bottom