• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All-Purpose Doubles Thread

QWUB_Qwest

Smash Rookie
NNID
qwestman101
I absolutely love doubles. I love smash discussion. Let's discuss doubles. I'm bad at intros. Whatever. If you love doubles like I do feel free to join in.

My usual team partner is a Jigglypuff. I play a weird combination of support with my zoning and lead aggro with checkmate combo and bair edgeguards. When I'm zoning, my partner will fill gaps in my projectile game with fair, bair, and Nair, and when I'm playing aggressive for the kill he'll stay back, and cover enemy escape options from juggle combos.

Aein

Smash Cadet
NNID
vesferi
Aww, nobody's replied? It's a fun topic!

Me, I have a Villager doubles partner. It's extremely fun. As you can imagine, we try pulling off some shenanigans with pocketed Thoron. We're still working on our strategy, but what seems to work well in certain matchups is a wall formation for gaining stage control and cornering our opponents . Me in the back to block the top and provide ranged support, and Villager in the front, feeling free to unleash his volley of rockets and slingshots and annoying dairs and tilts.
When we split up though, I tend to get hit a lot by stray rockets in the middle of casting spells (abruptly disrupting me out of potential combos), or my aerials and magic might accidentally catch him because he's floaty. We need to work on that.

Once, I had another Robin partner for some friendlies. Our opponents weren't very experienced, so we took stocks with ease. However, I enjoyed the way we played since we were uncharacteristically aggressive and had good cooperation. We would take turns holding up the front when one of us needed a charge, and we instinctively knew what to cover for each other and when to watch out for friendly fire. Although he was pretty indiscriminate when it came to his Thoron. xD

Last edited:

AC NuBurs

Defence Bowser
NNID
ACNuBurs
My doubles partner is a lucas, though they recently nerfed the healing projectiles thing, but he can still reflect thoron so thats cool. Usually he plays aggresive, and I try to make people shield so he can tether grab them. I like to think that both of our off stage games are really good, and I can help him recover with sour spot elwind, and he can help me recover with pk thunder. Its a little unrefined, but it works.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I like teaming with Toon Link. The Thunder spells provide great coverage with Bombs and Rangs covering the air, and Arcfire can give Tink the breathing room he needs to pull a Bomb and go to work. Tink has issues with shields and the spells and books do well against them, and Robin struggles with rushdown and the Bombs and Tink's fast self helps break the fight up.

The both of them having fast KO options out of projectiles and raw also means there's a lot of pressure on the other team to avoid committing to moves as well as avoid straying too close. A very potent team imo

QWUB_Qwest

Smash Rookie
NNID
qwestman101
Recently my doubles partner has been using less Jigglypuff and more Mario and Cloud. I haven't really had a chance to try out doubles with his new mains though. I feel like Robin and Cloud should be good though, because I can camp and give him time to charge limit break, and then trap the opponent in place with arcfire and arcthunder for him to hit with his limit breaks. What I'm not sure about is whether his limit breaks have enough range for him to avoid getting hit by the projectile before the limit break hits.

Robin and Cloud also both have amazing juggling games, so that could be interesting.

Top Bottom