• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

After Whobo

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
not happening.

I don't like helping people get better with olimar unless its a good chance to make em look dumb, because i know some unique **** that shouldn't work...but does.

RB calls everything he knows a "trick" although they are generic mind games he does well, his region is still learning how to fight olimar correctly (DEHF is the only one there who REALLY knows how to fight olimar) also, he has a huge ego that prevents him from getting better.

Logic doesn't' post here (and is quite dumb sometimes) :/

Fino lives with 08 olimar

Hilt...IDK TBH xD he just doesn't seem interested in discussing olimar

The rest of olimars are behind on the current Metagame and still fall for easy gimps/ pressure games

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
That line of thinking is... kind of counterproductive, dabuz.

Rich isn't wrong for calling everything a "trick", even if they are generic mind games.
Definition of a "trick":
- a cunning or deceitful action or device; "he played a trick on me"; "he pulled a fast one and got away with it"
- an attempt to get you to do something foolish or imprudent; "that offer was a dirty trick"
- antic: a ludicrous or grotesque act done for fun and amusement
- flim-flam: deceive somebody; "We tricked the teacher into thinking that class would be cancelled next week"

If Logic doesn't post here often, how do you actually KNOW that he's dumb?
You really should talk to people more about their decisions before jumping to a conclusion.

Hilt has always been generally interested in discussing Olimar. I've actually learned quite a bit from him.
He's just becoming tired of the game in general. You should have actually taken an interest in discussing Olimar with him, y'know?

Regardless of what we still fall for, how can you be certain that we don't have access to something that you could benefit from?
Everyone has something that they excel at.

The main question would be "How do we pull that information out into the open?"

Bleh, I'll post more when it's not my birthday and I can actually sit down for more than five minutes.

DtJ SquidBurrMoneyBurr

Smash Champion
not happening.

I don't like helping people get better with olimar unless its a good chance to make em look dumb, because i know some unique **** that shouldn't work...but does.

RB calls everything he knows a "trick" although they are generic mind games he does well, his region is still learning how to fight olimar correctly (DEHF is the only one there who REALLY knows how to fight olimar) also, he has a huge ego that prevents him from getting better.

Logic doesn't' post here (and is quite dumb sometimes) :/

Fino lives with 08 olimar

Hilt...IDK TBH xD he just doesn't seem interested in discussing olimar

The rest of olimars are behind on the current Metagame and still fall for easy gimps/ pressure games

What's the point in posting this, to show us you're 12? Good stuff.

Anyways, Goodjob for all those who went to whobo, hope you guys had fun.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i'm dumb? lol
i mean i'm dumb in the sense that i mainly camp when i'm in danger of losing... but winning while being relatively agro i think makes me pretty smart :D
that and i know like everything about olimar weather its frame data, what we can u-smash oos etc...

oh yea... dabuz is quite dumb sometimes, exhibit A: his post :)

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Now that my blatant flaming has gotten some of you to look in here and post here (especially logic xD)

i meant dumb as in what decisions you make in game...mostly BECAUSE your so aggro >_>

i wouldn't think hilt cares BECAUSE the game tires him >_>

Every olimar does have something to contribute, but i do want them to start re-analyzing why they might lose that stock early, or have trouble recovering, why certain attacks give them trouble, ect. WE ARE BEHIND ON OUR CHARACTER'S METAGAME, SOME OF US STILL CAN'T RECOVER OR STOP SOMETHING LIKE MK'S TORNADO! OTHERS DON'T ABUSE WHISTLE ENOUGH OR USE SIDE-B WHEN THEIR OPPONENT IS TOO CLOSE!

And yes, i am quite dumb sometimes...mainly online when posting stuff xD

BTW, i do think we could get something going, but it needs to be structured in some way

Zori's MU guide project was somewhat successful, although we got lazy soon after a write-up

My mini guide project in the oli backroom kinda worked, although neither logic nor Rich Brown contributed, even though their contributions would of been the most informative

Zori, idea, every olimar here makes a write-up of two moves in oli's moveset, how they use it, ways they can think of to experiment it, weird physics about it, ect. If we need to step up the metagame, it would work better than everyone explaining MUs which probably haven't changed much since oli's metagame is still the same. BTW, its two moves so everyone feels like experimenting and finding new things out

For example: i'll think about stuff with dtilt, i know it beats G&W's turtle when spaced and timed right, but could it also be a legit way to mess up the spacing of a character like marth? or maybe it's weird hitbox can stop falco's jab?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I LOVED talking about Olimar. I talked to Fino, Clover, and a lot of others about the character a lot, as well as talking about him a lot on the boards and so many other people that don't even play the character, lol. I'm just tired of the game and parts of the community to have any kind of interest anymore, even though I still love the Olimar boards. On that note, I completely agree with Zori, and think that Olimar's metagame would progress a lot better if its community worked together. If you don't want to be a part of that, dabuz, that's fine.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i only looked due to me name searching shoutouts after a national.
and is it dumb if i'm fully aware of what can occur when i make my aggro decisions?

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
hmmm...ill put it a different way, the things you get punished for and the mistakes you make because your aggro makes me CRINGE constantly, like, ill watch you and think

"ugh, how'd he fall for that, OMG, HE HAD A PERFECT SETUP, SUCH AN EASY READ, DAMN IT, STOP TRYING TO GO AGGRO WHEN YOU CAN'T WIN BASED ON LOW PRIORITY ;_;"

Thats why the way you play seems dumb to me

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
ahhhhhhhh, but i do win quite alot... null and void argument :D
and having low priority means you just have to be that much smarter about your atk choice and timing

RichBrown

Smash Master
Fino and I share ALL the time, and Logic and I were periodically sharing throughout the weekend

There should be more of this, though

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
O-kay! I have class in... a couple hours, but I can't sleep so here we go.

The obvious problem would be the general inactivity of many of the Olimains. When a new topic is posted, there's generally a rush of information at the beginning, but then it peters out a bit (see: Stage Discussion Thread). We need people posting their findings and opinions, no matter how insignificant they may seem.
I would like to apologize for my inactivity these past couple of weeks. School did horrible things to me, then WHOBO came up and all that jazz.

NOW THEN!
It's obvious that we need some outlet for match-up discussion, but it would need to be something that everyone can contribute to:

- Zori's idea was rather nice, but it required more effort than most users were willing to put forth.

- Match-up Discussions take a bit long to get from one character to the next, but they may just be the best idea so far if we can actually keep on-track with the discussions and people remain active.

- Match-up Social would be a bit messy, but people wouldn't be restricted to just one character.
My original thought was to link each useful post in the OP under each character, but that would take a LOT of work.

- There's also the idea of having TWO threads, one for general discussion and one for specific match-up discussion. It wouldn't always be completely clean, but we could draw from posts in the general one when starting the specific ones and may be able to expedite or even skip certain discussions if they're discussed in-depth in the general.

We just REALLY need activity for any of these to work.
Thoughts or opinions?

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Would every olimain be expected to participate in this? I mean would only certain olimains with notable results be included in this?

Also, I've been trying to ask RB for help/critique and nothing. Dabuz and Logic helped tho ^_^.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Would every olimain be expected to participate in this? I mean would only certain olimains with notable results be included in this?

Also, I've been trying to ask RB for help/critique and nothing. Dabuz and Logic helped tho ^_^.
Every Olimain should be included in this.
Even "stupid" or "obvious" questions provoke discussion and may bring some new information to light.
If someone is just obviously spamming, it will be dealt with appropriately.

Does ANYONE have an opinion on which method would be best for discussing match-ups?
I would think that people that are eager to share would be more involved in this process. :<

We can even start set Skype/AIM matchup discussions and just draw from the log if people would be more willing to participate in those.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I'd say we need timely discussions. Some threads have done weekly discussions, but it would take 38 weeks to discuss every character. Far too slow right? Skype/AiM sounds good because all the information can be said at once but there would be no chance to review any of the info (unless we can add to them later on). Not sure how you can save a Skype convo, or if its even possible...

2 discussions a week drastically reduces the time from 38 to 19 (approx 5 months for everyone) which may still be too long? Anyways thats my opinion.

Cook

Smash Master
^There are a lot of characters that aren't really worth discussing because no one plays them/you can autopilot them, like Zelda, Falcon, Bowser, Samus, etc.

Also, does Olimar have a boost grab and is it good???

Edit: Composer cut off my line of sight!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
^There are a lot of characters that aren't really worth discussing because no one plays them/you can autopilot them, like Zelda, Falcon, Bowser, Samus, etc.
We should probably discuss those anyway at some point.
It is entirely possible to lose against some of the characters generally lumped into this category if you don't know what to expect.
(See: Espy v. any Olimar)

SO THEN!
Does everyone agree that two match-up discussions a week augmented by periodic AIM/Skype discussions for some of the more complex match-ups would be okay?
I don't want to start this just to get people whining about how we're going too fast or something!

Dnyce

Smash Master
Stuff doesn't get finished on this forum anymore. Most of you are either pathetic or your mere presence derails any attempt to do stuff like that. No one has the desire to get better on here - reason why I stopped posting.

I'm open to discussion on Aim/skype, but I'm not going to contribute here. I'm tired of wasting time helping people when my advice just falls on deaf ears.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Who the hell says that your advice is falling on deaf ears and that nobody has the desire to get better?
Obviously posting has slowed, but I'm sure it'll pick up when things start moving a bit or when people get more time during the summer.
I don't know if you noticed, but things have never really gotten finished on this board anyway. Most of the time, it's been Hilt that drags everyone kicking and screaming to something resembling a finish.

I was also going to ask you if you wanted to create the research thread since you seemed so keen on getting into the Smash Lab, but I suppose there's no reason to ask that now.

And if nobody has another opinion on a match-up discussion they would actually participate in by Sunday, I'm just going to start forming the main/side threads and go with two discussions a week in THIS ORDER:

WEEK 1
Falco
Pikachu

WEEK 2
Sonic
Mario

WEEK 3
Wolf
King Dedede

WEEK 4
Yoshi
D.K.

WEEK 5
Diddy Kong
Marth

WEEK 6
Toon Link
Lucario

WEEK 7
Zero Suit Samus
Kirby

WEEK 9
Sheik
Fox

WEEK 10
Peach
Wario

WEEK 11
Ice Climbers
Luigi

WEEK 12
Snake
Ike

WEEK 13
Metaknight
Bowser

WEEK 14
Olimar
C. Falcon

WEEK 15
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B.

WEEK 16
Pokemon Trainer

WEEK 17
Ness (we've had too many recent discussions)
Jigglypuff

WEEK 18
Pit
Lucas

WEEK 19
Samus
Zelda

WEEK 20
Link
Ganondorf

I tried to group one difficult discussion with one relatively easy one, descending in order of importance (with a couple of exceptions).
If anyone objects to this list, please speak up now.

Note that this is also not set to go week-after-week. Some discussions (particularly the one during finals week) may take one extra week to allow for a full discussion.

If I missed anyone, please let me know. I was doing this from memory.

IRON FIST TAGER TIME

Also, if anyone wants to volunteer to help with writing summaries, managing discussions, etc. it would really help.
I have a life outside of smashboards too, and cleaning this place up by myself would be slow and stressful. ^^;

Yeesh, I have to get up in a few hours to go get headphones, go to a smashfest, and then to a tournament Saturday and here I'm still up making this post. D:
Fino making me post ALL hours of the night...

Dnyce

Smash Master

I was also going to ask you if you wanted to create the research thread since you seemed so keen on getting into the Smash Lab, but I suppose there's no reason to ask that now.
If I get accepted into the smashlab, I will be doing research on my own and posting information in the smashlab BR. Eventually that information will get released to the public anyway. If you want updates on what I'm working on, feel free to ask... but I'm not going to continue putting effort into a community that does nothing back for me (and also refuses to do anything for me *looks at your/hilt's red name and rich/dabuz' purple name*)

Dnyce

Smash Master
Don't even act like I've never done anything for you Fino, lol.

<3
But you're gone now / quit :(
I mean... look at my activity on here from the day you told me about that, lol. Not a coincidence ;o
<3

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497

If I get accepted into the smashlab, I will be doing research on my own and posting information in the smashlab BR. Eventually that information will get released to the public anyway. If you want updates on what I'm working on, feel free to ask... but I'm not going to continue putting effort into a community that does nothing back for me (and also refuses to do anything for me *looks at your/hilt's red name and rich/dabuz' purple name*)
All right, then.
If you get into the Smash Lab, I wish you the best of luck.

EDIT: I would like to talk to you about something at some point, though. Please IM me the next time you see me on AIM.

EDIT 2: Working on the format this week. First discussion will be posted next Monday.
In case anyone overlooked this:
Zori, idea, every olimar here makes a write-up of two moves in oli's moveset, how they use it, ways they can think of to experiment it, weird physics about it, ect. If we need to step up the metagame, it would work better than everyone explaining MUs which probably haven't changed much since oli's metagame is still the same. BTW, its two moves so everyone feels like experimenting and finding new things out

For example: i'll think about stuff with dtilt, i know it beats G&W's turtle when spaced and timed right, but could it also be a legit way to mess up the spacing of a character like marth? or maybe it's weird hitbox can stop falco's jab?
This is kind of a nifty idea. Would you feel like making this or were you pitching the idea to Zori, dabuz?

N_o_M

Smash Journeyman
Fino are you coming to joker's next monthly? If so could you help me out with some singles advice :)

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I haven't gotten a whole lot done on this with all of the stuff going on (I'll post it in the tournament results later :3), so it would be a little rough.
As I said in my previous post, I'll have rough match-up threads up by Monday.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Here is an idea: When you have a productive/interesting chat on AIM/Skype/whatever, post it as a thread on the Olimar boards and put who discussed and the date that it was discussed in the title of the thread.

If you have one thread and list everything there, it will be simpler/cleaner/more organized, but people will get out of the habit of posting there.

Top Bottom