• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aether 1 Hit KO

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
Sorry about the terrible quality. I recently discovered that the initial hit of Ike's aether can KO Jigglypuff on smaller stages, not sure if this was intended or not.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
In Melee, Roys Blazer 1 Hit KOd Jigglypuff because the attacks knockback is designed by character weight rather than damage %, and if Jiggly is the lightest, then STAR KO BABY!

metroid1117

Smash Master
Wait, so this is intentional? Poor Jigglypuff...
It's not intentional persay, it's just a result of moves with set knockback that are meant to link into other moves actually killing the opponent. In this case, Aether's set knockback on the first hit is meant to link into the other hits, but depending on where in the attack the opponent is hit, the hitboxes after the first hit will miss. I found the same thing way back in Demo 2.0, but Aether isn't the same as it was back then.

phish-it

Smash Champion
The still kept the same initial knockback on Roy's up B in Project M? Seems dumb from a game design perspective that it can 1 hit KO jiggypuff

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
AFAIK, you can only get a guaranteed OHKO on Jigglypuff on one stage - Yoshi's Story. On any other stage, good DI will prevent the kill.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Yeah, on the bottom of the stage though. On platforms on stages with them or in the air in general it can still kill at 0. It's not game breaking but considering Roy is a character that was created and had significant changes from his melee self I would've expected the (weight dependant set) knockback on the blazer to have been normalized along as well.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Yeah, on the bottom of the stage though. On platforms on stages with them or in the air in general it can still kill at 0. It's not game breaking but considering Roy is a character that was created and had significant changes from his melee self I would've expected the (weight dependant set) knockback on the blazer to have been normalized along as well.
I wasn't involved with making Roy, but having a high set KB on the first hitbox is essential to getting the later hits to connect. As such, it has to send upward with a high set KB so that it will connect regardless of what % the opponent has. Reverse Blazer KOs work because when reversing an up+B, you actually start the animation you're facing and then turn around during the animation. In the case of Roy, the first hitbox (which sends up) gets active on frame 9 but you turn around on frame 10*, which causes the opponent to be launched up while the hits that should've connected and stopped the opponent are now on the opposite side. It's not really a design choice, it's more of a consequence of how turnaround up+Bs work.

*This is according to the Melee Roy Frame Data Thread and assuming that Roy's frame data for up+B is the same.

Top Bottom