• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice on Marth MU? (Videos Attached)

Uvula

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I'm a Peach player who just recently switched from Pikachu. I picked up Peach for doubles but then found I really wanted to start playing her more in singles. I've been playing better with her lately but I've recently hit a wall against Marth, I have two sets here that are very recent. After going through them several times I realized that I am pretty clueless on how to edgeguard, it seems like I can throw turnips to force a low recovery but if he gets close enough to the ledge (he usually does) my low bair wont hit and he gets a free nair on me, if I shield right at the ledge he can jump over and use his superior speed to get over me and to the center of the stage where I can be walled with fairs. There are some other things i need to work on as well. Needless to say I am becoming pretty frustrated with this MU and I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me. I have the two sets posted at the bottom. Any advice is very much appreciated thank you in advance!! :)

*Also don't mind the commentary, it's pretty out there sometimes.. :p*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vif7PeGAN5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TStiS3QZfUo

Blook

Smash Rookie
First of all, no Peach v Marth guide would be complete without the word from on high so here:

http://www.meleeitonme.com/armadas-guide-to-peach-vs-marth/

the neutral vs marth is truly where peach's weaknesses show. He has speed, superior range in close quarters, and a godlike grab. The only thing peach has going for her is turnips, but marth is fast enough to punish you if you go for turnip pulls too close. Watching your games, you like to run headlong into marth, which is not good, but especially bad if you don't have a turnip in hand. You have to forget about being pikachu, you dont have the speed to rush down marth anymore. If you run straight at him, or worse, float at head level straight at him, all he needs to do is swing at you with fair to rack up damage. You really need to start backing off, maybe give up center stage in order to get that turnip (but avoid retreating to platforms, marth can truly wall peach out there). Everything about the matchup changes once you have the veggies in hand. Armada definitely puts it best in his guide, so go look at that, but for you specifically, at least as far as i can see, you just need to let go of forward on the stick, and retreat, because you can't win neutral by smashing heads with marth

the other thing i noticed: STOP GOING TO THE LEDGE. peach has garbage ledge options. no ledgedash. no fast attacks, a laughably slow stall, laughably slow double jump, no refresh on float if you just grab the ledge, etc. etc. The moment you touch the ledge, marth can really make your life hell. If you stay too long, he can d-tilt you. If you roll, he can turn around and fsmash, or grab, get-up attack might catch him, but better marths will just shield and then grab you. Even just falling close to the ledge already means he has the chance to tipper f-smash you. Go high. There's literally no up-side to going to the ledge (yes, it can be a mixup, but seriously, don't). If you go high, sure marth can upair or fair you, but its not like that leads into anything, it's just damage, and the one thing peach can take a lot of in this matchup is damage.

Just stop trying to challenge marth up close, and you should be fine. It's a tough matchup, but once you play to peach's strengths, it stops being impossible (unlike the puff matchup). Armada only really has been soundly trounced by a marth once, so it's definitely doable. Good luck dude.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Truly these match is in marths favor do to the tip and combo options.But Peach can dent Marth in many ways.1st Marth has a hard time killing peach if you use her float correctly 2nd Peach can go farther of stage then Marth but watch out for peaches poor recovery and marths dair.

Peach has a great dair and can lead into many things but her turnips are here best starter.Her fair can kill Marth at around 50% of stage on stage would be about 90-100%.

Peach has many recovery options.Float-side b-up b.Hitting the stage with side b will "jump" you in the air but is punishable

Mu would be 66>64 marths favor

Last edited:

Uvula

Smash Rookie
Thank you very much Blook and Shadowking for your input. I'll have to work on developing a playstyle suited for Peach instead of reiterating Pikachu.

rolltorest

Smash Rookie
My tips for edgeguarding Marth:
  • When Marth is far away from the stage aim turnips to hit him after his side-b, normally you will only have time for 1-2 of these throws
  • Learn how to z-drop turnips after a float, combined with the first option you can cut a lot of Marth's drift options away and force them to jump before they want to
  • Recognize when you don't have a reasonable chance to successfully edgeguard, if Marth is within a jump of the ledge at most you should try to throw a turnip just in case he fails to sweetspot, and then you should hold your ground about 2 wavedash lengths away from the ledge and hold stage positioning, because Marth is just as bad in the corner as Peach is
Tips for Neutral:
  • Turnips. These are everything in this matchup and are the only hope Peach has at winning. After you pull a turnip you shouldn't always immediately throw it, mixing up the timing, distance, and height of the throw is crucial to throwing Marth off balance and opening him up. A safe option is to wavedash into a turnip throw and then possibly (usually) pulling another turnip.
  • Float low or don't float at all. Floating before Marth jumps in general is very vulnerable, the safest float aerials are floats right above the ground into a retreating bair. If you approach in float the best option is usually low float cancel nair (fair is too slow and doesn't outrange marth).
  • Mix in run up grabs. Dash attack is the strongest opener peach has in this matchup but Marths naturally will start shielding if you use too much. Float cancel nairs are a good option but as Marths get better they will start angling their shield in order to avoid being shield poked as often so you will not be able to always rely on this option to beat shield (though if you get very good at float cancel nair > grab that is a very powerful way of negating that)
  • Shield more and get comfortable with out of shield options. Peach needs to shield a ton in this matchup, even though Marth has a strong grab game against Peach you need to use shield to protect against Marth's crazy sword range. Being comfortable at washdashing out of shield can net you strong punishes if you shield a laggy move like Marth's f-smash

Top Bottom