• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice for Luigi's on-the-edge game?

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
By on the edge, I mean hanging on the edge.

When I'm in this position, I usually don't know what to do. If they're standing close enough, sure I can ledgehop aerial, but that only works against careless/bad players.

The good players I face often just wait about a wavedash's length away from the edge, and if I make a move they can fsmash me. I've gotten my ledgedash down pretty good, to the point where I hardly go down at all before wavedashing onto the edge, but I still get fsmashed whenever I try it. Luigi doesn't have that good of a ledge stall, either.

So what can I do in this position on FD, where there's no platforms to go to?

coolhat

Smash Journeyman
Rofl, I usually have the same problem against marths, or characters like that. And really the only thing you can do is mix it up. Use everything luigi has coming up from the edge

EazyP

Smash Ace
If they're coming at you with an air attack, nair should go right through and start up a combo

On some stages I've been able to air dodge away from the stage while hanging on and grab back on due to how show the guy falls, could be used for mindgames

I like to multiple fair onto the stage I do the first one, DI back a bit, then the second, or do an air attack and waveland behind them or into them for a grab

Ticonderoga

Smash Rookie
Hey, im new here but i do know alot so dont let the smash n00b title fool you :laugh:
What i usually do is kind of mindgame my way on, just keep fastfalling and double jumping onto the edge and sweetspotting it, and when they try to attack immediatly punish with fair/uair or nair, fair being my favorite because it is fast.

Wako

Smash Cadet
Usually I try and mix up every single way of recovering. Sometimes you can ledgedash and spot dodge if you see the fsmash or fair coming, but that only works so much. If not, try being a bit dangerous and baiting your opponent out by ledgedashing right back onto the ledge. That's about as much advice as I can give.

TheZeroFaReal

Smash Apprentice
There is a Drawing I Drew on a McDonald's tissue paper and it explained what Luigi can do off the ledge to Edgehog/guard. It's really mindgames after you know how to hold the edge after that. Fox's and Falcos (Depending on Skill) are just too easy to guard/hog. Falcon is annoying for me because of the fact that all the Falcons I play can live forever with DI. I can keep going but it's all really common sense / mind games. Ever since I started playing it's been, 'He's gonna role from the edge I can feel it'.

Pynk

Smash Cadet
I prefer letting people assume I have no idea what i'm doing by rolling onto the stage a few times and once they realize to punish I wavleand and follow with and aerial. The idea is to keep them guessing.

Binx

Smash Master
This is a problem lots of people seem to have. You have a few options, you can ledge hop and attack, you can ledge hop a waveland, you can just press up on the control stick to stand up, and you can press the jump button to do a ledge jump.

Against Marth you basically can't do that last one, and you probably cant ledge hop an attack either, so either get up and spot dodge, or get up and roll, or you can waveland and shield, or like someone else mentioned waveland and spot dodge. Marth is mean.

Top Bottom