• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new item and feature: Mega Ring and Mega Evolutions

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I already wrote this in another topic, but I decided to make an official one because I think the idea is deserving a main topic (and also I wanted to add some new ideas I got). I'll copy and paste what I already wrote first.

Basically, the item I was thinking about is the Mega Ring. The Mega Ring is a new item introduced in Pokémon X & Y which gives the player the ability of making his pokémons mega-evolve.In Smash Bros, the Mega Ring would be a fairly rare item which works like the Medal from Earthbound, when you get it, it sticks to you. The difference is that it doesn't cause any effect whatsoever and that it sticks to you till the end of the match, UNLESS it is used.So, even if it doesn't have an instant use, in the long-term perspective, anyone will fight to get it.
How do you use it? Well, there are certain Poké Balls that can release Pokémon which can mega-evolve. So, if you release, let's say, a Blastoise from a Poké Ball, two scenarios can happen:
1) if you don't have the Mega Ring, Blastoise will simply attack like he did in Melee.
2) if you have the Mega Ring, Blastoise mega-evolves into Mega Blastoise and performs a much stronger attack.
After that, the Mega Ring disappears and you'll have to get another one if you want another Mega-evolution. It doesn't have infinite uses.
Since there aren't many Mega Pokémon (they're like 30 I guess) and some of them are actual playable characters (Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo), this occasion will present itself pretty rarely, but I'm sure it would be simply amazing. I'm thinking at least 15 MegaPokémon should be available, given that all the above will be playable. Here's the list of MegaPokémon known so far (except Mewtwo, Lucario and Charizard):
Venusaur
Blastoise
Gengar
Kanghaskhan
Ampharos
Blaziken
Mawile
Aggron
Absol
Garchomp
Tyranitar
Alakazam
Pinsir
Scizor
Houndoom
Banette
Manectric
Gyarados
Aerodactyl
Heracross
Gardevoir
Medicham
Abomasnow

Now since every one of this Pokémon should have not one but two attacks worked over I guess half of them it's more than enough, with maybe a DLC in the future including the other ones. Just imagine the potential of this new feature. What do you think?

Here some ideas I got for the mons which feature a mega evolution:

MegaBlastoise:

Both forms of the Pokémon perform Hydro Pump. The difference is that Blastoise does it like in Melee, with a stream of shots which deals damage but doesn't have a strong knockback. The Mega form makes a single shot of water which is similar to Samus' final smash, resulting most of the times in instant death. Anyway, it's easily avoidable since Blastoise charges the shot for a few seconds.

MegaVenusaur

Both forms perform Solar Beam, but Mega Venusaur performs Sunny Day first. So, while Venusaur has to charge the shot (against a random player) for a few seconds, MegaVenusaur can launch a much stronger beam immediately against the player, which is almost unavoidable. Also Sunny Day makes every stage sunny, even the ones who can't be like the probable Galaxy one, for a few seconds.

MegaAlakazam

Normal Alakazam just performs Confusion. Confusion chooses a single character and hits it with a psy beam: this makes the character become hard to control, since all buttons are inverted or act randomly. The Mega Form performs Psychic: this attack works the same as Confusion but hits everybody except obviously the player who launched the Pokémon, and also makes the entire stage go blurry. While doing it, MegaAlakazam stays in the center of the stage in the position he's in the picture.

MegaHoundoom

Normal Houndoom performs Overheat. This makes him burst into flames, and then he runs on the stage attacking random players. Mega Houndoom performs Inferno: the entire stage bursts in flames (every single platform) making the character who stand on them (except the player who launched Houndoom obviously) get a lot of damage for like 30 seconds.

MegaTyranitar

Normal Tyranitar performs Crunch (I think that's pretty self-explanatory). The Mega Form performs Rock Slide and Earthquake: the entire stage gets hit by it, but if there's the possibility, you can hide under a platform. The Earthquake though works like Venusaur's one in Melee, and hits very close to Tyranitar.

Those are the ones I can think of right now. Do you like it?

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
Would you believe that last night I had an almost identical idea to this? The only major difference is that I saw Mega rings as an item that would appear after a Pokemon with a Mega Evolution spawns from a Pokeball. Though it would only stay around for a few seconds, it would trigger a race among the other players, the first one grabbing it (Within the allotted few seconds) to use it, which Mega-Evolves the Pokemon. If a player uses the Mega Ring that is not the original Pokeball thrower, the mega Pokemon converts to fight for the Mega triggerer.

Kinda a half-baked idea, and I like yours more. I think it's a great idea that would add more depth to the Pokeball system.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Would you believe that last night I had an almost identical idea to this? The only major difference is that I saw Mega rings as an item that would appear after a Pokemon with a Mega Evolution spawns from a Pokeball. Though it would only stay around for a few seconds, it would trigger a race among the other players, the first one grabbing it (Within the allotted few seconds) to use it, which Mega-Evolves the Pokemon. If a player uses the Mega Ring that is not the original Pokeball thrower, the mega Pokemon converts to fight for the Mega triggerer.

Kinda a half-baked idea, and I like yours more. I think it's a great idea that would add more depth to the Pokeball system.
The problem is that making the Ring automatically appear with the Poké Ball defeats the purpose of having normal form for the Mega Pokémon: obviously someone is gonna get it and so we'll always have MegaPokémons.
If you divide the Ring and the Poké Balls though anything could happen. Also, if you take the Ring, it's not sure you'll also get a Poké Ball, and even if you do, it could contain a normal one. Or if you have the Ring and someone else takes the Ball with a Mega in it, it won't tranform.
That makes the possible Megas much harder to find, and it increases the effect when they actually appear on stage, since it's a slight possibility. It's kinda like the Dragoon but even more rare of an event.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I really like this idea. I'd still like to see Mewtwo, Charizard and Lucario Mega-Evolve, though.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
So this would only work with Pokemon, or could certain Assist Trophy characters get upgrades?

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I have an idea for Gengar:

Normal Gengar would use shadow ball.It's basically just a ball of darkness that Gengar shoots forward.
Mega Gengar would use dream eater and it works like this: Mega Gengar puts everyone to sleep(except for the one who summoned him) and after they fall asleep he continuously damages them kind of like the flower except a lot faster and it does around 30-40 damage.

Top Bottom