• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A little bit on Mac's Air Game + Set-ups

Taagar

Smash Rookie
I was labbing some stuff and did this KO punch setup using UP air. It may look like it wouldn't be too great because there are other things you can do and it is NOT guarenteed. it does have it's competitive applications and can be used as a GREAT mix-up for your opponent if you pull this off (see next paragraph). I don't really know if anyone has done this before because I haven't seen it anywhere so I wanted to share it with everyone. This combo is D-Tilt > Nair (using a double jump Nair can help because the double jump will stop your momentum forward so you can land a Dair or footstool after Nair easily without going through the opponent, but using just a single full hop will work as well.) > Dair > Falling Up-air > KO punch
(NOTE: it is harder to hit the up air on smaller characters and sometimes CAN'T be done on smaller characters, also the combo would start at earlier percentages)

*If I am wrong about any of the characters this combo does or doesn't work on please tell me in comments so I can fix*
EDIT -> CHARACTERS THIS COMBO WORKS ON: * = Can hit falling Up-Air but is a tiny bit harder to do, but will be easy to hit once used to it)
- Mario*
- Luigi
- Peach
- Bowser
- Yoshi
- Rosalina & Luma
- Bowser JR./Larry/Roy/Wendy/Iggy/Morton/Lemmy/Ludwig
- Donkey Kong
- Little Mac
- Link
- Zelda
- Sheik
- Ganondorf
- Samus
- Zero Suit Samus
- Pit
- Palutena
- Marth
- Ike
- Robin
- King Dedede
- Fox*
- Falco*
- Charizard
- Lucario
- R.O.B.
- Captain Falcon
- Wii Fit Trainer
- Shulk
- Dr. Mario*
- Dark Pit
- Lucina
- Pac-Man
- Mega Man*
- Sonic
- Mewtwo
- Roy
- Ryu (One of the easiest to do on)
- Cloud
- Mii Brawler/Sword Fighter/Gunner (Default Size)

EDIT -> CHARACTERS THIS COMBO DOESN'T WORK ON (due to not being able to be hit by falling Up-Air OR it is too hard to hit consistently for combo due to height): * = Can't be hit by falling up air (without * means can be hit but too hard to do consistently enough for the combo
- Diddy Kong
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Toon Link
- Duck Hunt Duo
- Kirby
- Meta Knight*
- Pikachu*
- Jigglypuff
- Greninja
- Ness
- Villager (CAN hit somewhat consistently but not really enough to do in a fast situation)
- Olimar/Alph*
- Lucas

Alternatively at thirty percent on Ryu (used just as a base test subject due to weight and size of character, will vary on different weights), you can do a D-Tilt > Nair > Footstool > to falling Dair (which will cause a jab reset) and repeat till kill percentage and kill them. you can keep repeating this process for a semi infinite but usually you would just go for d-tilt to KO punch at kill percent after jab lock (or straight KO punch or Up-Smash).

NOTE: The footstool chain doesn't go to kill percentage on all smaller/light characters, but if you do a down angled F-Smash after the jab lock with the Dair to tech chase or possibly jab lock again you can kill them without having to do the semi-infinite.

Another thing to consider when attempting this combo is that there are many things you can do after the D-Tilt. For instance if you were trying to go for the footstool to Dair Lock, but aren't able to footstool after the double jump Nair, you can go for the Dair > Up-air, or you can just go for the normal B&B follow ups (Fair or Up B depending on %). Here are two videos showing the combos off. Sorry for bad quality for I don't have a capture card and only recorded on my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfM7jeFQmRA&feature=youtu.be - Footstool Semi Infinite (I only did it twice, you can do it more times just repeat the process and add double jump when needed. Basically this combo ends when you are out of range to footstool but that should be self explanatory)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfjp_TIdqJ4&feature=youtu.be - Up Air KO punch Setup

With other jab lock setups are his bread and butter D-Tilt > Fair > Dair Jab lock (only if they miss tech). If they tech roll away or tech in place, follow up with forward smash, or if they tech roll behind you, you can do a down smash or a forward smash if you are fast enough.

A combo that can get you a quick 50ish %. is D-Tilt > D-Tilt > PP (perfect pivot) Up Tilt > Up angled F-Smash to up b
some characters you can only get one dtilt but usually you can get around 40-50% with this combo. There are many other tools mac has in the air that people don't look at but I will mention those things in another post.

Thank you for reading - Joey (Taagar)

Btw for Smashboards/Reddit i use Taagar but my Tag in tournaments and preferred name is just: Joey

Last edited:

tomvanharmelen

Smash Journeyman
I think to solidify the chances of linking the KO punch, it would be worth putting in jab 1 or in some cases 1-2 jab and THEN use KO punch.
The jab(s) set up the KO punch nicely.
In that case though, you may be able to get away with using Nair instead of Uair while falling as it is easier to hit.
This is all hypothetical as I have no way of testing those setups currently.

Taagar

Smash Rookie
I think to solidify the chances of linking the KO punch, it would be worth putting in jab 1 or in some cases 1-2 jab and THEN use KO punch.
The jab(s) set up the KO punch nicely.
In that case though, you may be able to get away with using Nair instead of Uair while falling as it is easier to hit.
This is all hypothetical as I have no way of testing those setups currently.
That sounds like something to look at :). i'll experiment with it. But just as a side note, falling up air to KO punch is guaranteed at mid to high percentages anyway, but yeah what your saying sounds like a good setup as well :). btw, i know all the about the jab 1 or jab 1-2 to KO punch, but i was showing off a knoew way

Last edited:
Top Bottom