• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Gamecube Monitor and You

Would you like to see this take off?

• Total voters

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
So the rise of Project Phoenix (check the SB homepage if you don't know what that is) reminded me of a long-forgotten yet widely coveted piece of equipment... the LCD 5.4" Intec Gaming Monitor for the Nintendo Gamecube (pic related). These puppies are that thing that I want. And because I want it, I expect someone else to solve that problem, because reasons. If you didn't know, the Intec monitor can be found online relatively easily, but with a catch. Either you find it for like $40-ish or something in bad condition (scratches, no color, blown out, missing cables, etc.) or you find the last few left in "brand-new" condition with the rather hefty price tag of $150-$200 (Or maybe $175-$200, who knows).

Getting to the point here, stay with me. I want someone(s) to get one of these, or if you already have one, great. I want you to reverse-engineer it and make a f*ck-ton. idk if the copyright/licensing is still in effect, so that could be an issue. There is also the path of "Hey, I'll just design a better one myself, those damn things were really flawed and with the tech available today, it could be optimized to hell." I support that.

Well smashers, there you have my thoughts on something I'm sure is irrelevant. I bid you adieu. If the original objective fails, Intec monitor discussion thread. Go,

Last edited:

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
Isn't the screen a bit small?
Yeah, it was made to have dimensions similar to the Gamecube's base. This is one of the things I was alluding to when I said "those damn things were really flawed". It's an easy fix, the Gamecube can handle some extra weight. The half-circle on the back of a Gamecube isn't for carrying it, it's for mounted accessories, and it's relatively solid which should definitely allow some extra weight. Heck, if the screen was optimized to full capacity, it's possible that it'll weigh less than the original Intec monitor.

Dark Byte

Smash Cadet
These are cool, but the same thing can be achieved more efficiently by playing melee on a good laptop. I.e., the goal is to be able to play melee on a road trip or some place that you couldn't bring a crt, right?

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
These are cool, but the same thing can be achieved more efficiently by playing melee on a good laptop. I.e., the goal is to be able to play melee on a road trip or some place that you couldn't bring a crt, right?
For the most part, yeah. At the same time, there are a lot of people who can only afford a laptop for browsing and stuff, but can't run Dolphin or some other gc emulator without playing For Glory Simulator at the same time. If the monitor could be made at a decent price, this could replace the "need" for a better laptop/compooter.

Dark Byte

Smash Cadet
For the most part, yeah. At the same time, there are a lot of people who can only afford a laptop for browsing and stuff, but can't run Dolphin or some other gc emulator without playing For Glory Simulator at the same time. If the monitor could be made at a decent price, this could replace the "need" for a better laptop/compooter.
Yeah dude, you're going to need at least a 12" screen to play melee anyway so I don't see the point. A small lcd TV would be a better option than a silly thing that attaches to your game cube.

Top Bottom