• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few questions about Luigi, L-Cancelling, etc.

TheRumster

Smash Rookie
So I play Luigi (like everyone here on this board) and have a few questions about his moves.

First of all, in the videos I see no one EVER uses his down B (fist tornado). Why is that? Whenever I play as luigi, especially vs. sheik, I use it often to disrupt the aerial combos that you can get trapped in.

The more I read, the more I watch, I realize that tournament level play and "lower level" play is really different. I'm no pro, but I have a few questions about Luigi's moves.

When using > or < B to recover onto a stage, there seems to be a ton of lag time for Luigi to get up. I know you can use L-Cancelling for aerials - can you use it for B moves as well? Whenever I blast back onto the stage, it takes me forever to get up and I usually get smashed again. It's the best to get to the edge, but unfortunately you can't always get there, you know?

Also, wavedashing. You need to practice to the point where you use wavedashing for movement, instead of running, right? Since you cant dodge attacks with it, and you can get attacked while doing it, I can't really see much use for it (save wavelanding, and as an alternative to running). I do use it for wavelanding, and for dashing to platforms, but thats about it right now.

So... those are the questions I have about Luigi. Oh, one more thing. Is there a definite list somewhere about the "tiers" of characters? I see the term getting tossed around, and just would like to know if there is a list somewhere. I'm sure I'm mistaken about a few of my points, so go ahead and prove me wrong and make me a better Luigi (against my brother, a Sheik/Samus player). :chuckle:

EazyP

Smash Ace
I and other people like Ka-Master use down B to extend combos and tech chase. If you use it on the ground, you can use it to help your recovery by doing down-b in air, then hitting b as many times as you can. Remember to "buffer" that first down B otherwise you'll just drop

The longer you hold side B the more lag it'll have, no way to cancel it, just learn to sweet spot the edge

Wavedashing is great, it lets Luigi be everywhere at once. Try and learn it first before judging

The tier list is in general discussion

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Wavedashing isn't a replacement for running. The fact that it's quick and any attack can be built upon it WHILE moving makes it an important skill to learn. It's a technique that you find uses for yourself, it's not an automatic den00bifier. It has so many potential uses that you'll actually be relatively impaired without it.

hue_jass

Smash Cadet
the down b is quite usefull as a combo breaker and combo starter, the easiest being down b to tilt up a or down b to up smash, later on you can experiment with the longer down B combos, like down b to tilt a to down b to up smash etc. ka masters's luigi video is where I got most of my combos from. there will always be lots of lag after the green missile (over b) either charge it and time it so you're below the ledge for a tornado or up b recovery or just spam the quick bursts and pray for an over charge

ppa0

Smash Journeyman
"First of all, in the videos I see no one EVER uses his down B (fist tornado). Why is that? Whenever I play as luigi, especially vs. sheik, I use it often to disrupt the aerial combos that you can get trapped in."

----- im not sure what videos you watch, but i know alot of luigis use it, specially me, but we dont spam it because if your playing a good player, and you use it alot, or not in the right situations, your opponent can punish you for it, because it has quite a bit of lag at the end

"The more I read, the more I watch, I realize that tournament level play and "lower level" play is really different. I'm no pro, but I have a few questions about Luigi's moves.

When using > or < B to recover onto a stage, there seems to be a ton of lag time for Luigi to get up. I know you can use L-Cancelling for aerials - can you use it for B moves as well? Whenever I blast back onto the stage, it takes me forever to get up and I usually get smashed again. It's the best to get to the edge, but unfortunately you can't always get there, you know?"

----- ... when you use B > learn the distance... when you're trying to get back on to stage do it enuff times or charge it enuff so you know you land right below the stage and use your other recovery like *tornado, second jump, tripple jump* to get back on to stage, so that way you dont get punished for doin B > and landing on the stage

"Also, wavedashing. You need to practice to the point where you use wavedashing for movement, instead of running, right? Since you cant dodge attacks with it, and you can get attacked while doing it, I can't really see much use for it (save wavelanding, and as an alternative to running). I do use it for wavelanding, and for dashing to platforms, but thats about it right now."

----- all i can tell you is luigi is a low tear and if u dont wavedash u cant really use luigi to his 100% potential, id say practice over and over until you are very fast and good at wavedashin and when u look back at this question you will laugh

"So... those are the questions I have about Luigi. Oh, one more thing. Is there a definite list somewhere about the "tiers" of characters? I see the term getting tossed around, and just would like to know if there is a list somewhere. I'm sure I'm mistaken about a few of my points, so go ahead and prove me wrong and make me a better Luigi (against my brother, a Sheik/Samus player). "

----- dunno where its at but there is 1, try searchin for it or somethin but as i menshioned above... luigi = LOW tier

Jeez

Smash Rookie
Down B: This move is actually VERY useful because it offsets the opponent and the more videos you watch the more you'll see pros using it. First of all, you need to use it once on the ground to use it later to rise upwards during recoovery, AND it's an unexpected move when opponents are trying to execute a string of combos.

Side B: This is the basic, and most beneficial recovery for Luigi; when you get knocked pretty far off the platform you use Side B FIRST and you want to use it so you don't blast onto the platform, but a little off and above the edge. As you fall down, you can then you your jump and then Up B, and by time you'll see that by using this method, you'll get onto the edge alot easier and better.

Wavedashing: I see your point by not being able to go into combos and it's usefulness, but it takes PRACTICE. Just starting Luigi I didn't utilize wavedash enough and now, a month later I use it ALL the time for running and bringing out attacks. As for dodging, you can spot dodge while wavedashing so just practice that.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
ok, about the tornado, man, the wors thing cando t it, is spam it, be sute that u are gonna hit it, a lot of pro palyers use it in the right moment, because it stuns and can get u out of a combo, and all, but still hey dont spam it.. the recvery time of the hit its like half od a second, a lot o of time for ur opponent to hit u..
abour the > and < B, try to calculate pretty good to get just above the edge, or do it until u are nearer to the field, and u could use raise tornado, jump and u B to get to the platform agan, or something loke that, dont to it everytime, and try o hang to the edge with the second jump adter the raise tornado, fi u hang with up B, the opponent will hang before u an u r f***** up..

Top Bottom