• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A discussion of Leo's corrin

ViceC

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! CEO 2017 has just concluded and it appears that Leo is using corrin more often. I just wanted to start a discussion of the way Leo plays corrin and how it works. Feel free to analyze Leo's decision making, how he handles different situations or matchups, or even critique his play on how it could be improved or countered. I think a discussion like this would be healthy for the overall growth of corrin's metagame and for the community overall.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
There's nothing special about it in the sense that he doesn't pull out any advanced techniques or strats. On the other hand, Leo's fundamentals are godlike, and he consistently manages to mitigate taking so much damage when in disadvantage state. His Corrin is just really, really, really solid, by virtue of him being a top tier player. His punishes are solid, he's good at finishing people off with grab kills / Side B, and he deals with Corrin's weak mobility really well.

Sadly, I don't think there's anything we can directly take here. The good news is that you can do well with Corrin even at the highest levels of play; you just need to get good, lol.

DMan64

Smash Cadet
There's nothing special about it in the sense that he doesn't pull out any advanced techniques or strats. On the other hand, Leo's fundamentals are godlike, and he consistently manages to mitigate taking so much damage when in disadvantage state. His Corrin is just really, really, really solid, by virtue of him being a top tier player. His punishes are solid, he's good at finishing people off with grab kills / Side B, and he deals with Corrin's weak mobility really well.

Sadly, I don't think there's anything we can directly take here. The good news is that you can do well with Corrin even at the highest levels of play; you just need to get good, lol.
I can agree with it, while I think that Corrin is still a very good character, it's also MK Leo we're talking about, pretty much any character with a sword will look good with him. At the same time however, if he begins to use her more often than usual, and the other top Corrin players actually go to tournaments, which may be possible, she may just be thought about in a different light than what others believe. That said, we saw a similar thing happen with fellow FE rep Marth, as people though that after his buffs he was just a really solid character and few people played him, but as soon as MK Leo hit the scene and other top Marth players came out more and got better results, he became seen as top tier. While I'm not saying the same will happen to Corrin, (I personally see her as more of a gatekeeper tier type of character at best) I do think that if Leo starts using her more often and starts doing things that other Corrin players don't do, then we'll have a reason to reconsider this topic, as of now however, I see this more as a counter-pick character he's experimenting with.

ViceC

Smash Rookie
One thing that he does that I haven't seen before is his usage of landing fair-fair-pin to sometimes kill. Can someone give the specifics of how the string works? I've been trying to do it on training mode, and haven't pulled it off.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
Landing fair-fair-pin assumes the opponent is DI-ing away, as to avoid any juggles and get to the ledge, which is pretty normal and how you avoid more damage in general as Corrin. DI-ing away from a fair at certain percents basically makes the pin true, though.

IamZang

Smash Rookie
As others have been saying, I don't expect to see much definitive, high level playtime for Leo's Corrin. Juggling Marth, Cloud, and Meta Knight as well makes it seem even less probable this becomes more than just an experimental character. However, being that he saw hidden potential in Marth as a top 5 character it's a good thing he potentially sees the same in Corrin.

D

Deleted member 189823

There's nothing special about it in the sense that he doesn't pull out any advanced techniques or strats.
I agree with most of what you said, minus the fact that there's not that many "ATs" for us to abuse in the first place. And no, I'm not counting all those gimmicky things we've seen so far, lol.

On topic, I also happen to think there's really not much special with his Corrin. If anything, most of where he stands out is in proper juggling and basic frametraps, as well as the ocassional FF aerial to Bite (something Corrins ever-rarely do). Other than that, the rest are spacing and tomohawk fundamentals with transfer off his Marth and a lot of times I just feel he charges a Smash attack on the ledge and people even fall for it.

EDIT:

Also, notice the amount of F-airs he uses as well as how he isn't exactly over-using Pin. Like I mentioned, he plays with grabs well (simple stuff like turnaround grabs, tomohawks, etc.). He adds a fair amount of PPs here and there, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Stalking forums from the future ^^

Leo does much less side b than cosmos. Leo is focusing more about corrin's true combos and kill set ups. He is very creative and has a great experience to turn an opening into some burst damage or unexpected kill or he boldly throws a few smashes and a surprise dair or counter in each match. He also uses strict percentage gaps of landing nair or fair to neutral b kill confirms quite often. He uses side b tipper more often for the kill. He uses protectile better than anyone Ive seen, he catches limited options with it often and does the optimal punish. He also does more grabs. So its about fundamentals as you said but he does each conversion very well as corrin, like he uses dtilt more. And lastly, he is very cute

Last edited:
Top Bottom