• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A concern about alternate costumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
If you look at today's Miiverse post, you will notice this picture:

Sakurai explains:

"The character farther in the back isn't from the Imperial forces, and the character in the front is not the infamous drum-playing puppet in Osaka. No, Mario is actually wearing an outfit from Family Computer Golf: U.S. Course! NES Open Tournament Golf might be a more familiar title."

While I do think that the new Samus outfit is pretty cool, I'm a little dissapointed in Mario's new outfit because it's simply a reskin. People who have played NES Open Tournament Golf will remember this:

We can clearly see that this Mario and the SSB4 Mario have two different styled hats, which is somewhat awkward for me. The same thing occurred with Link's new outfit:

Obviously, not all "alternate costumes" will be reskins, as we have observed with Little Mac's training suit:

I am slightly concerned that the majority of the new "alternate costumes" will simply be reskins of the normal models, rather than completely new models and textures. Does anybody else share this feeling with me?

Hong

The Strongest
It's not as good as a costume, but it's better than a colour palette. Is that not enough? Someone like Little Mac who has an alternate costume has at least two colours/textures (striped and wireframe) that are not mere flat colour changes.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
MURICA Mario, Skyloft Link, and Light Suit Samus are palette swaps. Not costumes. Until Sakurai says otherwise that's what they are.

Last edited:

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
MURICA Mario, Skyloft Link, and Light Suit Samus are palette swaps. Not costumes. Until Sakurai says otherwise that's what they are.
I can see Light Suit samus being a palette swap and skyloft link has already confirmed to be a palette swap. Though I do believe that mario in this pic is an alternate costume with its own colors. Just give us Dr. Mario already.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I can see Light Suit samus being a palette swap and skyloft link has already confirmed to be a palette swap. Though I do believe that mario in this pic is an alternate costume with its own colors. Just give us Dr. Mario already.
The problem is that all that was changed were the textures of the clothes.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
At least we're getting something more than just new color palettes... People seem to be so greedy even though we barely had any cool alt colors/costumes in brawl.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Feel like we're not getting a proper Light Suit now. Project M trying harder. :[
Nah man, Project M doesn't have to worry about deadlines, release dates, budget and basically the whole darn game. I like Project M's costumes but don't treat their modification like its full on game development.

Mario isn't wearing the actual hat from the Golf game but these colors really stand out from the bland old pallet swaps. We've already got a lot of full on model swaps that look fantastic. Maybe we will get more, who knows? I'm betting we will. Let's wait til the game is out to completely worry.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm fine with it. I mean, the only thing that's really all that different is the hat. Other than that it's damn faithful to the source costume. Not every character needs an alternate costume. And who knows, maybe Mario will get a more legit costume soon.

Last edited:

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
We're getting both fancy alt textures AND some alt costumes. This is pretty cool, and I'm glad they are putting in some extra effort than usual. Now obviously, alt costumes like Little Mac with the jumpsuit take a lot more effort than changing textures. These costumes are worthy of being secrets we have to unlock, or a special reward for buying an Amiibo, or just plain digital dlc.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I'm disappointed with the Link one, mainly because I like seeing Links hair, and I really like the design its based on.
Samus is a bit of a let down, but considering her ultimate alt choice is playable I'm fine with it.

The mario one didn't even cross my mind as a possibility. Who really cares? All that time spent over changing a hat shape over a very minor costume? Sure it would be nice, but we got something very close, and they can spend time making a mario alt that's more iconic.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Actually someone pointed out that the Samus skin (the one with american mario) is the coloring from the Player 2 Samus coloring from Metroid Hunters.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Nah man, Project M doesn't have to worry about deadlines, release dates, budget and basically the whole darn game. I like Project M's costumes but don't treat their modification like its full on game development.

Mario isn't wearing the actual hat from the Golf game but these colors really stand out from the bland old pallet swaps. We've already got a lot of full on model swaps that look fantastic. Maybe we will get more, who knows? I'm betting we will. Let's wait til the game is out to completely worry.
Definitely agree here. I think Sakurai is going all out with color palettes this time, because it's easier than trying to create a full new costume when it's not totally needed. I mean, Sweatsuit Mac is an absolute necessity, and the assets were already there since it's his intro. Something like Light Suit has some graphical differences from the suit normally, but the effect is accomplished just as well by using it's color scheme.

The same has already been done with the Fusion Suit and Dark Suit in Brawl, so this is unsurprising. Amerio and Skyloft Link are another indicator of this.

Honestly, I'd love to see as many color swaps as Sakurai can manage. They're just about as cool to me if done well as alts. PM can do things at their own pace, so their alts are obviously going to have as much detail in them as they can possibly get. Sakurai's got to worry about a ton of other modes, character balancing, and stuff, for two seperate games.

If each character has 8-10 color swaps, I'll be perfectly happy. Full alts are nice, but it doesn't matter at the end of the day.

PLZ Sakurai, Mr. L Luigi.

Morbi

Scavenger
I certainly share this concern. As of current, the only characters with legitimate alternate costumes are newcomers (Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager). Perhaps the veterans will not receive the same treatment? I am honestly a little worried because civilian Link would have probably been the most ideal alternate costume. However, instead we have a lazy palette swap. Even something as minor as removing the hat would have brought life to the costume. Still, these texture swaps are more impressive than what we have seen in the past, we might need to wait for Smash 5 and a new creative director for every character to have an alternate costume.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
I certainly share this concern. As of current, the only characters with legitimate alternate costumes are newcomers (Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager). Perhaps the veterans will not receive the same treatment? I am honestly a little worried because civilian Link would have probably been the most ideal alternate costume. However, instead we have a lazy palette swap. Even something as minor as removing the hat would have brought life to the costume. Still, these texture swaps are more impressive than what we have seen in the past, we might need to wait for Smash 5 and a new creative director for every character to have an alternate costume.
Yes to all of this except civilian Link. While I do agree that's a good costume, I believe having the Dr. Mario costume (as well as different colours for that costume) would be the better choice.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
It's like i said earlier in this thread. The "costumes" that Mario, Link, and Samus have are color swaps. Nothing more.

Until Sakurai says otherwise you seem to be worrying over nothing right now.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
This is why custom color swaps would of been better, sure we'd get the in game ones, but they're not always what we want, and this is something I wanted to see since Brawl hackers started hacking Brawl and changing the colors of all the characters which was like the very early versions of Brawl hacking before they started morphing the characters.

It would be nice to have a legit color swap customization in this game, but that doesn't look like its happening.

As far as costumes go I just Peach's Daisy, Zelda's Hilda, Bowser's Dry Bowser, a Wario color swap based off of Wario's Woods or Waluigi, Ganondorf's green color cause that's AgatioGanon, White Mage would be nice on Rosalina, wouldn't hurt to see Zero Suit Samus with a Bayonetta costume, Bayonetta is getting all these Nintendo costumes so its only fair a character in this game gets a Bayonetta costume and Zero Suit is perfect, Shadow color swap on Sonic, a Saturos costume for Isaac, Mewtwo X for Mewtwo, Shiny Charizard for Charizard, and Palutena should get Viridi, Amazon Pandora and Medusa.

If these are all in then I'm good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom