• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
...To be honest, I'm actually kinda interested in Color Splash. I know SS was horrible and nobody liked it at all, but I actually had a little bit of fun with it, even if the characters were paper-thin and as stiff as cardboard. This is also Paper Mario's first console outing in a really long time, plus I can imagine them doing a lot of innovative stuff with the Wii U and its graphical capabilities. So overall I can safely say that I may give Color Splash a look and the more recent Paper Mario games a second chance. At least Mario and Luigi's doing decently, right? (...I mean, I haven't played Paper Jam, but I'm hoping it was at least... Ok?)
Paper Jam did the same thing to the Mario & Luigi series that Sticker Star did to the Paper Mario series, just not as extreme.

It's still a reasonably solid game, I guess. But it's not noteworthy. It doesn't do that much with the idea of having two versions of the different characters, and like Sticker Star, it really dumbed down the cast to the basics. The only major new additions for the series were the Koopalings but they don't do a whole lot, at least not individually. Nabbit is in it too but he mostly just steals stuff that you have to get back and helps you on occasion.

It also has incredibly buggy collision though, and a lot of bugs spin off from that. So it's fun to speed run.

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Surprised this hasn't been uploaded yet.
The guests in this video are making a documentary about Mother 1's translation, sounds pretty interesting.
This is pretty awesome; getting EVE was one of the coolest parts of EarthBound Beginnings, and it's always cool seeing EarthBound stuff in a modern / 3D form while staying true to the original games' style. I'm really hoping that documentary gets funded; I'm always interested in reading about the development / early history of my favorite games, particularly stuff from before my time. EarthBound Beginnings is such a particularly under-appreciated gem, too.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Burruni

Smash Hero
I mean.
To be kinda (didn't realize how long I'd go off) brief.
Besides the blatant "No partners" and such and such comparisons to TTYD, here's what were the big faults people saw in the design of Sticker Star in general as the RPG series people remembered it as, and not the "action-adventure" that Nintendo calls it now.
1) Without EXP and a Leveling system, players have very little incentive to ever go into combat outside of Bosses. The only possible reward from fights is effectively trading your limited-usage attack stickers for an amount of coins to either be spent on the battle spinner and buying more attack stickers, most of all the "Thing" stickers.
2) Boss fights are either incredibly easy by usage of the right Thing stickers or incredibly difficult if trying to handle in a traditional sense with no middle ground. Best example being the Gooper Blooper whose poison and hard hitting attacks will always keep you under heavy pressure... but the sticker has him lose 10% of his max hp every turn, miss every attack, and take more damage from every other form, for a total of 5 turns (meaning you only have to do 50% of his hp, and with weakened defenses, for bringing the right thing sticker).
3) Most times, what thing sticker you actually need (and them being very context sensitive ON that) is something that you can only really know either by having a guide or throwing yourself at the boss to die first and THEN get the item that devastates the boss. The worst offender being the Bowser fight that has about 5 phases and EACH requires specific stickers to be feasible.
4) Very little npc interaction. Once you do the stuff in Decalburg, the only other real npcs that you come across are the chapter about Wiggler... Wiggler himself and the Sniff It or Whiff It gameshow.
5) The areas you traverse are incredibly segmented and takes away from as good of a sense of a "world" as you'd see in most rpgs.
6) Final Boss has 0 dialogue. The big banter and play up into a climax are what make some of the best moments in almost every rpg!

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I mean.
To be kinda (didn't realize how long I'd go off) brief.
Besides the blatant "No partners" and such and such comparisons to TTYD, here's what were the big faults people saw in the design of Sticker Star in general as the RPG series people remembered it as, and not the "action-adventure" that Nintendo calls it now.
1) Without EXP and a Leveling system, players have very little incentive to ever go into combat outside of Bosses. The only possible reward from fights is effectively trading your limited-usage attack stickers for an amount of coins to either be spent on the battle spinner and buying more attack stickers, most of all the "Thing" stickers.
2) Boss fights are either incredibly easy by usage of the right Thing stickers or incredibly difficult if trying to handle in a traditional sense with no middle ground. Best example being the Gooper Blooper whose poison and hard hitting attacks will always keep you under heavy pressure... but the sticker has him lose 10% of his max hp every turn, miss every attack, and take more damage from every other form, for a total of 5 turns (meaning you only have to do 50% of his hp, and with weakened defenses, for bringing the right thing sticker).
3) Most times, what thing sticker you actually need (and them being very context sensitive ON that) is something that you can only really know either by having a guide or throwing yourself at the boss to die first and THEN get the item that devastates the boss. The worst offender being the Bowser fight that has about 5 phases and EACH requires specific stickers to be feasible.
4) Very little npc interaction. Once you do the stuff in Decalburg, the only other real npcs that you come across are the chapter about Wiggler... Wiggler himself and the Sniff It or Whiff It gameshow.
5) The areas you traverse are incredibly segmented and takes away from as good of a sense of a "world" as you'd see in most rpgs.
6) Final Boss has 0 dialogue. The big banter and play up into a climax are what make some of the best moments in almost every rpg!
Its because of this that I hope Color Splash improves these issues. I do enjoy the mechanic Sticker Star wanted to do, but the way it was executed and everything surrounding it just made it clumsy. I don't necessarily hate Sticker Star like many others, but after beating it once, the game just ended up feeling dull and I don't have any effort of going back to it compared to the first 3 games (Even if I force myself too).

Even if this does end up being Sticker Star 2.0, if it ends up being Sticker Star done right I would be perfectly fine with that. Just have more dialogue interactions, interesting worlds, and a well thought out fighting system and you got a decent game right there.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Its because of this that I hope Color Splash improves these issues. I do enjoy the mechanic Sticker Star wanted to do, but the way it was executed and everything surrounding it just made it clumsy. I don't necessarily hate Sticker Star like many others, but after beating it once, the game just ended up feeling dull and I don't have any effort of going back to it compared to the first 3 games (Even if I force myself too).

Even if this does end up being Sticker Star 2.0, if it ends up being Sticker Star done right I would be perfectly fine with that. Just have more dialogue interactions, interesting worlds, and a well thought out fighting system and you got a decent game right there.
Honestly, it's too early to try to judge on a number of these points.
However.
From what we've seen, the first issue is still there and I just don't see what they can truly do to make combat be something worthwhile in an rpg where exp is not present and your resources to create attacks are limited.
And with the map returning, I... can't help but fear for 5 as well.
Thing stickers returning is... a yellow flag. Something to be concerned of for not being any more balanced but we also have no evidence that it will be the boss-crippling titans that it was before and to make such a claim IS presumptous.

Colour Splash's best hopes are "Sticker Star 2.0: Done Right Edition." One way or another.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Honestly E3 sounds like it'll be boring this year. I'm excited for Zelda sure, but I care about seeing the other Nintendo franchises shine at E3 too.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I mean, Mother has the most characters from Smashified, when the whole point was basically 'Imagine if this character was in the game!' We have a ****ing fanmade character in there too
Admittedly I wasn't the biggest fan of Travis, but I think this is okay. They're just celebrating a series they love. There was a pretty big gap between Travis and Masked Man.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Wasting money on an E3 presentation that would only show off one major game (Zelda), two massively hated games (Color splash and FF) and maybe some other minor stuff sounds like a pretty asinine business move I'd say. Instead they are focusing their money and man power on making the NX reveal as good as possible.
That's a nice take on the situation. You could be right about them not wanting them to have a repeat performance of last year's E3 and wanting to be more careful hence not having those games shown off at E3 and only focusing on the game they know everyone will like. Still dumb that we're not going to hear anything about games in 2017 (not NX related) which is what a lot of people want to know. Here's hoping for a May/June Direct as I mentioned many times before.
Honestly E3 sounds like it'll be boring this year. I'm excited for Zelda sure, but I care about seeing the other Nintendo franchises shine at E3 too.
Exactly. They need a Direct of some sorts to fill the void the Digital Event had normally.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Admittedly I wasn't the biggest fan of Travis, but I think this is okay. They're just celebrating a series they love. There was a pretty big gap between Travis and Masked Man.
First of all, there IS nothing wrong with that, second, you forgot Kumatora, and third, the fact Mother is the only franchise given all this special treatment is odd.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Okay my avatar has Speed boon, and Res. Bane and I am now a level 20 Swordmaster, is it okay if I switch to Berserker then Eternal seal it, or keep Swordmaster then Eternal seal it (Despite not having access to the Yato).

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
First of all, there IS nothing wrong with that, second, you forgot Kumatora, and third, the fact Mother is the only franchise given all this special treatment is odd.
This is done to celebrate Mother 3's 10th anniversary. I don't know what's the teams' plans, but I wouldn't be surprised if other franchises with milestones this year will be given a similar treatment.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is done to celebrate Mother 3's 10th anniversary. I don't know what's the teams' plans, but I wouldn't be surprised if other franchises with milestones this year will be given a similar treatment.
Probably my bias to the series as I don't find the whacky nonsensical writing amusing. Don't think they did anything for Zelda, but wasn't Sceptile done on an anniversary now that I think about it?

Also some peeps mentioned Wakfu and I'm curious as hell about it. How good is it?

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Probably my bias to the series as I don't find the whacky nonsensical writing amusing. Don't think they did anything for Zelda, but wasn't Sceptile done on an anniversary now that I think about it?
Sceptile came a couple days after the anniversary of Pokémon.

Since this was on the last post of the previous page, I'll post this again.

Some Shantae: Half-Genie Hero updates:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1567914
The new cover art looks amazing.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Also some peeps mentioned Wakfu and I'm curious as hell about it. How good is it?
The game was OK but most of the classes revolve around thematic gimmicks and don't synergize as well as it kinda should have being a party-based MMO.

I've seen nothing of the animation.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently I don't like coconut water, or pineapple flavoring

I took a couple sips and fell sick. It was nasty

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517

I honestly just don't like coconuts in general. The shavings are hard to keep down for me, and I hate the taste. It's literally the only fruit that I don't like. I mean, don't get me wrong, tropical fruits are nice, but they taste too exotic for my liking, sometimes.

So honestly I'm not sure which I want to see more, Captain America or the Angry Birds Movie. Cap because Marvel movies are almost always really good, or Angry Birds because I have the deepest feeling it's gonna bomb hard. Personally I'm not a big fan of Angry Birds in general, but me and a friend kind of want to see it for a laugh. I mean, I liked the original and Seasons was nice, but the last good one to me felt like Space. Maybe this movie's gonna be Rovio's last AB outing before it stops being popular.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Game grumps were playing shantae, and whoever their guest is, I find him annoying

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
May 10th came early
There was a problem fetching the tweet
This is the same guy who made the 'I main the whole roster' and pokefusion of every pokemon **** btw
I guess Pokémon sun is getting banned in Japan
:troll:

Moon was always better anyway!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I mean, Mother has the most characters from Smashified, when the whole point was basically 'Imagine if this character was in the game!' We have a ****ing fanmade character in there too
We are now creating arbitrary fan rules for a fan made art series, folks.

What a time to be alive.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay my avatar has Speed boon, and Res. Bane and I am now a level 20 Swordmaster, is it okay if I switch to Berserker then Eternal seal it, or keep Swordmaster then Eternal seal it (Despite not having access to the Yato).
The Berserker skills aren't really worth it, Max HP+5 is kind of a waste of a slot, Gamble only if you're relying on crits, Rally Strenght is a support skill and Axefaire is only useful if you're sticking with an Axe class
Stay Swordmaster but instead reclass to Nohr Noble for Draconic Hex and Nohroan Trust
You want 4 slots for the Samurai skills as they're all really good so either have a Pair-Up bot with trigger skills to abuse Nohrian Trust or just go with Draconic Hex for the great debuffs it gives

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Here I am still waiting for a Metroid and Zelda character to be Smashified...even just for an art render I can't catch a break...

I literally keep feeding Ridley to Smashified with almost every hint they drop

'Character wears boots!'

'I am now picturing Ridley wearing boots....wink wink'

Codename 'Odyssey' seems promising though...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Pineapple tastes odd to me. Although I like coconuts.

Say, did you drink coconut water directly from the coconut or was it packaged?

:231:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
So I have 7 badges in Black 2 and its pretty tough but I love the challenge but man the sole fact it's hard to level up your team is hard.

But for now Rate my team, I also named all the Pokemon after Video Game characters

• Big Boss (Seperior)
  • Trish (:181:)
  • Junpei (:059:)
  • Makoto (Scrafty)
  • Vyse (Flygon)
  • Eugene (:055:)

Now why did I name the Golduck Eugene is due to not a lot of game characters I know that are ducks and it's a reference that is only for people that live in Oregon to actually get the joke.

Plus it counts if consider that reference was in multiple video games

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Quick question guys. If you can choose 1 out of the 3 characters from my sig to become playable in the next Smash Bros who would it be?

Burruni

Smash Hero
In one of the earliest trailers they had Magnolia say "let's bust some ba'als!"

They aren't even trying to hide it :p
I haven't seen the trailers.
And I feel like I'm like in the 10% of people playing the english version who can understand her french.

Quick question guys. If you can choose 1 out of the 3 characters from my sig to become playable in the next Smash Bros who would it be?
K. Rool.
Only one of a major series and one of very few characters who I feel could actually be considered "slighted" for not appearing in Smash yet.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So I have 7 badges in Black 2 and its pretty tough but I love the challenge but man the sole fact it's hard to level up your team is hard.

But for now Rate my team, I also named all the Pokemon after Video Game characters

• Big Boss (Seperior)
  • Trish (:181:)
  • Junpei (:059:)
  • Makoto (Scrafty)
  • Vyse (Flygon)
  • Eugene (:055:)

Now why did I name the Golduck Eugene is due to not a lot of game characters I know that are ducks and it's a reference that is only for people that live in Oregon to actually get the joke.

Plus it counts if consider that reference was in multiple video games
Big Boss (I C wut u did thar) best gen 5 starter
:181:-one of my favourite electric types (but not Galvantula but I'll let it slide)
:059:-Who doesn't like Arcanine?
Scrafty-pretty cool, one of the better fighting types in Gen 5 (doesn't say much but still)
Flygon-love Flygon (but is not Haxorus)
:055:-....sure

D

Deleted member

K. Rool > Isaac > Andy

K. Rool is still one of my most wanted. Not that I was ever against Isaac (who I'm also interested in) or Andy (though I haven't played any of the Advance Wars games yet) by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom