• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Mii Swordfighter

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Mii Swordfighter

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. Mii Swordfighter match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Mii Swordfighter. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

Mii Swordfighter is able to use its custom special moves, even if customs are turned OFF. For this thread, however, both Rosalina and the Mii Swordfighter have to use their default 1111 spread for the match-up to count as being "Default only".

Last Updated: 9/20/2015
Special Moves Allowed| | :4miisword:
Default only | :rosalina: | N/A
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | N/A
Default only

Default + Custom

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
Mii Swordfighter is able to use its custom special moves, even if customs are turned OFF. For this thread, however, both Rosalina and the Mii Swordfighter have to use their default 1111 spread for the match-up to count as being "Default only".
This confuses me a tad; Mii Fighter players are fighting for the right to use their full moveset as "default". It'd be wise to expect the full set while Rosa's limited to 1111, rather than only expect the full set when Rosa has her full set. While Mii Sword's 1111 is the least vulgar of the Miis, it's a statement attributed to Mii Sword's normals being strong enough that he's far less reliant on specials.

Anywho, I'll bite and go over the 1111's for Sword first, and may come back to cover his normals later.

Neutral B: Gale Strike
Gale Strike has a bit of start-up and a bit of endlag, but throws a tornado forward that hits multiple times and tosses the target into the air. Towards the end of its life, it turns into a windbox with the very strange property of boosting jump moves. This can be used to Sword's advantage, since "above Mii Sword" is a terrible place to be, due to his access to probably the strongest uair in the game.

Most characters can just shield this and get away scott free, since Mii Sword can't do anything to follow up. However, Rosalina's Luma cannot shield. Luma will be thrown into the air, ripe for a follow-up by Sword either vs Luma or vs Rosa's brief window of open-ness.

If Rosa chooses to GravPull this, both players remain in neutral. I'm not sure of the frame difference between the two. However, a wise Mii Sword will use it as part of a short-hop retreat, and it's difficult to think of a way to approach past it.

Gale Strike also consumes and destroys projectiles and items with relative ease. I suspect Star Bits are included in the long list of "things Mii Sword laughs at."

Side B: Airborne Assault
Mii Sword's greatest asset. This move allows Mii Sword to recover high, across an entire stage, and land/slide safely to the opposite end. After the previous patch, where characters no longer slide off the ledge during grounded attacks, this move went from "great if you like SDing" to "Can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man!"

There is little answer to this, outside of intentionally taking the hit, shielded or off-stage. Mii Sword still enters vulnerable state after hitting an object, and even if he hits you shielded on-stage, he's open for a follow-up. If he hits you, however, expect the same effects as a smash attack.

Up B: Stone Scabbard
Lots of people who use Mii Sword opt out of this move. There's good reason, as it has a very broad variant in height depending on the size of the Mii itself, and smaller (aka 'wanted') Miis get a poorer recover. The Mii slashes upward and leaps into the sky, slamming straight down.

While this move is poor as a recovery, it excels as an OoS or mix-up. At the very start of the move, there are a few frames of invulnerability. A skillfull Swordfighter will abuse this offensively, launching someone into the air and slamming down on top of them.

Against Rosa however, it makes larger Miis seem more desirable. It could be used to retreat to the top platform of Battlefield with some safety, but I don't know if it can launch Rosa past her aerial disjoint as well. It could still toss Luma around, as seems to be the theme here.

Down B: Counter
It's a counter. I suspect it counters things.

tl;dr: Many of Mii Sword's 1111 specials throw Luma around with ease. With that said, they (probably) don't do as well a job against Rosa herself. But, that's just the specials.

I have very little Rosalina MU experience, please don't hurt me.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I have only played the :rosalina: MU when I was playing as :4miisword:, & I can only give a slight bit of info because I played just a few matches. The "custom" set I used was 1323. For a brief review on what those numbers, they are:

1 = Gale Strike
3 = Chakram
2 = Skyward Slash Dash
3 = Power Thrust

I don't remember what the exact custom set the RosaLuma player used, but needless to say, I feel the Special that thrives the most is Skyward Slash Dash because it protected me quite well whenever I recover back to the ledge. RosaLuma's Jab including Luma rapidly spinning around at the ledge in order to edge-guard is formidable, but Skyward Slash Dash bypasses Luma completely. Whenever Rosalina & Luma are doing their rapid Jab Combo on-stage near the ledge, I can aim SSD straight at them & break through the edge-guard for when they try to shut out my ledge options. After some of those games, the Rosalina player asked what the Up Special move I used because he was astonished that move beat Jab + Luma. This helped me immensely & I feel that Skyward Slash Dash is the way to go. Gale Strike & Chakram are also neat because they disrupt Luma while knockback it away with Gale Strike or multi-hit traps Luma with Chakram. Power Thrust is just another tool used to help recover from low which is no problem with SSD, plus Power Thrust can be a read tool for punishing rolls & what not.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mii Swordfighter is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

Top Bottom