• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Shulk

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Shulk

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. Shulk match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Shulk. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

While discussing this match-up, it is important to keep note that Shulk can modify his strengths and weaknesses with his Monado Arts special move. As such, it'll be very important to mention which Monado Art that Shulk is using, IF he's using a Monado Art. Alternatively, you can use the color coding below to let other users know which Monado Art is being used.

Jump = [color=#0f0]
Speed = [color=#06f]
Shield = [color=#ff0]
Buster = [color=#93f]
Smash = [color=#f33]

Last Updated: 4/10/2016
Special Moves Allowed| | :4shulk:
Default only | :rosalina: | ±0 - +0.5
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | -0.5
Default only
mario123007: ±0
Masonomace: ±0 - +1

Default + Custom
Masonomace: -1 - ±0

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
:4shulk:Shulk
  • Smash attack has huge range, dash attacks has a fair knockback to ko Luma with one slash
  • With Speed art can easy do horizontal combos such as Fair, Fair, and then D air.
  • And connect with buster art can easily give damage to Rosalina as well as Luma.
  • Has powerful counter move.
:rosalina:Rosalina & Luma
  • More combo variety than Shulk when Luma is around
  • Better recovery than Shulk, but more vulnerable than Shulk as well
  • Up air has huge KO potential
  • Lightweight, easy to get KO around around 70~80% or even lower when Shulk use Smash art.
Rosalina once again has the upper hand if she utilizes Luma correctly, however, Rosalina can be very fragile with Luma, and if Shulk can also use his arts perfectly and take down Luma whenever he has the chance, KOing Rosalina wouldn't be a hard thing to do.

I give 0 Default only

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Shulk is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I actually play both universes of the MU, with & without customs. I play against a good friend of mine, @Amazing Ampharos within our region, & the MU for the most part I feel is more-so even than normally it being slightly in Rosa's favor without customs.

Normal metagame :rosalina: vs :4shulk: is probably in her favor. I don't give or like giving MU ratios like I think I know what I'm talking about, but for the sake of the discussion & an opinion to listen to or not, 50:50 or 55:45 her favor.

Custom metagame :rosalina: vs :4shulk: feels a lot more manageable. And again, I don't like giving MU ratios, but I would rate it 50:50 or 55:45 in our favor. (Decisive arts, Advancing Air Slash, & Dash Vision really help in the MU. Take it from me. If you understand Hyper arts & their faults, you can use them with precision to make it worthwhile in the MU if you're not a fan of Decisive arts.)

The ordeal with it all comes strictly down to whether the Shulk player puts more focus toward murdering getting rid of Luma or not. Not capitalizing on removing Luma from the equation & choosing to fight RosaLuma is just asking for an unwanted struggle. As long as the Shulk player uses art activations at the key moments, the MU becomes doable if not even or slightly in our favor. A Rosalina player I feel is supposed to understand these moments & intervene with the matters by retaliating damage to Shulk for his commitment to Luma's removal.

The most important arts I feel for dealing with RosaLuma would be prioritized in this order:
  1. Smash
  2. Buster
  3. Speed
  4. Jump & Shield
Smash art is ranked #1 simply because half if not most of your moves easily knock Luma away if not off the stage. Without using Smash art, most of your move-set early on without Rage effect cannot launch Luma away. Buster art is ranked #2 because the chance that Smash art is on cooldown, spaced aerials that hit Luma causes hitlag, which because it's Buster art, your attack stays active for even longer. However, you do not want to input aerials or moves carelessly if RosaLuma runs up to try perfect shielding your attack with Luma nearby. Due to Luma usually being in front of Rosalina, Luma receives the hit & the hitlag causes a brief pause which allows Rosalina to perfect shield your attacks easier. So keep this in mind. After this, you can prioritize arts however you want since Smash & Buster art are more important for removing Luma.

The most important arts I feel for dealing with Rosalina would be prioritized in this order:
  1. Speed & Buster
  2. Jump & Smash
  3. Shield
Speed & Buster art share #1 because either or in the Advantage or Neutral are more helpful & easier for dealing with a defensive-playing Rosalina because of the lack-of Luma not in play. Jump & Smash art are ranked #2 even though they can potentially share #1 with Speed & Buster art. Jump & Smash are going to be your aggressive attribute tools for catching Rosalina whether she's in Disadvantage for Smash art or in Neutral with Jump art or off-stage with both arts. Shield art is ranked #3 because you don't need to have it active at the time Luma is removed. It becomes counter-productive, unless of course, you plan on timing them out.:smirk:

Stages
I like to deal with RosaLuma on any stage, honestly. Yes it's dangerous to risk the chance to play on stages like Halberd, Town & City, or stages with platforms like Battlefield, but the dish can be dealt deliciously for both sides on said stages. Obviously arts have less reason of being used as much on some stages, but this can be alleviated with how you use them & your movement as the result. And for the record, I would rather play on Miiverse than Battlefield, that's just me though.

Tip for Shulk players: Position Rosalina at the right places in the Disadvantage & always keep a timer in your head to when you K.O. Luma. When you memorize the respawn time, you can input a well-placed & timed move to hit Rosalina but in truth aim to hit Luma right as it spawns to launch it off stage & remain dominant.

Tip for Rosalina players:
Don't let this ↑ tip I give to Shulk players happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom