• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Toon Link

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Toon Link

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. Toon Link match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Toon Link. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

Last Updated: 10/11/2015
Special Moves Allowed| | :4tlink:
Default only | :rosalina: | +1
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | N/A
Default only
Underhill: +1

Default + Custom

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Now, I will some information with you on the match-up. Here we go!

:4tlink::Lets start with Toon Link. His combo game is decent against Rosalina's tall hurtbox, has mobility, and projectiles on his side. Thanks to his bombs, he can combo, jiggle, bait, mindgame, and even set-up kills with them because Rosalina is a easy target for them. GP can be baited for a punish if overused against his projectiles. Toon Link's up-smash or up-tile as anti-air moves so don't challenge them while landing. The down-air on Rosalina's hitbox may hit or trade with Toon Link's up-smash depending on the timing, but the trades are not worth it unless you have to. Don't challenge his up-airs while he jiggles you along with SH aerials, up-smash, up-tile, bombs, and boomerangs because the hitbox has good reach and power so he can even get early kills with them since she's light. The projectiles, z-hookshot, and his decent frame data can be a threat for Luma's life so look out. Watch out for his down-air because even if you shield(or power shield) or air dodge, his sword can still hurt Luma. Forward-air, up-b(ground and air), down-smash, and forward-smash can knock Luma back. As for edgeguarding, his projectiles are useful to set up gimps. Forward-air can kill her off stage at 90%(along with rage) since she is light. If you grab the ledge twice, then Toon Link will kill you with his down-air near the ledge. Also the back hit of the down-smash as well. Watch out for his z-hookshot because he can use for spacing, retreating, stopping your approachings, and also hit Luma even if you power-shield it. Plus, Rosalina is tall enough to get hit by it.

:rosalina:: Now to the Mother of stars. Her GP can causes for Toon Link, meaning that it can limit his projectile game and camping. Her Grab game is better than Toon Link because beside from kill throws, she gets more out of it than him with combos from Down-throw and up-throw. Plus, her grab has less end lag than his which you can punish for free if he misses you. N-air and back-air(RAR) as needed against his aerials along with Luma for zoning and spacing. She has more range than Toon Link and has her up-smash and up-tile as anti-air moves. If you're lucky, then her up-tile can beat Toon Link's down-air since its more disjointed, thanks to Rosalina's hitbox. Her ko potential is better than Toon Link's because his kills are short-ranged and he has a tough time landing them. Plus, he's light as well and even though his back throw is good for killing, he still has to get the grab so Rosalina wins, thanks to her range, Luma's help for early kills, and rage. Her jiggle game is better because unlike his up-airs, your up-airs are better and dangerous along with Luma for frame traps, combos, jiggling, and getting early kills(along with rage). Also, Toon Link is light, floaty, and has unsafe landing option outside of down-air which can be punished if you read it or bait him into doing so. Her Lunar landings can help you with not only landing safely, but mindgame, ledge-guarding, using star bits out of them, and even get small combos. As for edgeguarding, her down-air can spike Toon Link down out of his recovery if you hit him in the head where's it safe. Also, Luma's hitbox can get early kills on the kid since he's light and if your hitbox comes first, then you may be able to hit Toon Link out of his recovery because of Luma's hitbox. Back-air for back up if needed for a stage spike against his recovery and z-hookshot grab. Her ledge-guard are useful with Down-smash, down-tile, down-air(Rosalina's hitbox), and down-angled forward smash. Even though Toon Link's air speed is better along with alittle falling speed, Rosalina's ground mobility is good so she can keep up with him.

Stages: Avoid Lylat Criuse because the moving stage can screw her recovery over. Duck Hunt is ok because both of you can live longer, thanks to the blastzones being wide. Battlefield may help her more because while Toon Link can set up traps with his bombs and jiggle you more with platforms, she can also do as well and use the platforms for another recovery option if you need to go high and land on a platform, SH aerials against Toon Link when he's on platforms and up-tile and up-smash since she's tall. Town & City, ok for both of them because they can get early vertical kills and run around with enough space. Delfino Plaza and Halberb will be your favorite choices because not only Rosalina jiggling game will increase thanks to platforms, but you can also get earlier vertical kills because of the low ceiling with up-throw, up-smash, up-airs, and even up-tile.

Customs: I'll come back to that, later because I don't have info on Toon Link's customs.

Results: +1 in Rosalina's favor on Default only. Even though Toon Link's mobility, combo ability, and projectile game are on his side, Rosalina's options are stronger, thanks to GP to shut down his camping game, better ko potential, better jiggling, grab game, and range. This MU may favor Rosalina, but its that not bad for Toon Link either. So, if Toon Link is in the right hands of a player, then he may give you a run for your money, but you still got the advantage, though. Good luck, Rosalina players.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Toon Link is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
There's not too much new that needs to be added at this very moment in time. In terms of patches, Toon Link hasn't had any notable buffs or nerfs directly for him. The shield patch, however, has helped him projectile pressure, since boomerang can lock you in shield better, leading to grabs or smashes. And I'll come back here once Corrin/Bayonetta drop, since we'll definitely receive balance adjustments and MAYBE one of us will change.

But in terms of meta advancements, there's a few more things to note. Edgeguarding a Toon Link who remembers that Hookshot is a thing is very difficult. When a tether grabber uses their tether, they drop their projectile with it. If we have a bomb in hand and we tether from above, this can lead to the bomb unexpectedly landing on the opponent and leading to a followup. On the other hand. reaching the edge is safer because we can buffer an air-dodge for invincibility when we're in range of the ledge, and snap back instantly, making an aware Toon Link almost untouchable when recovering. He's got an incredible reach with Zair, and being floaty helps.

Toon Link's are becoming more familiar with the BFO, the Bomb Fake-Out. We'll throw a bomb behind us, pick it up again and rethrow, maybe in a different direction like up or down. On stage it's not a problem for you since GP, but as an edgeguard, it's something to be aware of.

Battlefield and Dreamland are great stages for us as well as you, so be aware of them. Since you're tall, if you're standing under one of the lower-end platforms, we can throw a bomb from above and it will connect, and might hit Luma too (I've hit Meta Knight from below the DL platform, though he was using Up-Tilt so).

Other then that, respect our Up-air too, it can beat out airdodge's, and it's becoming a combo-starter on the ground, so be vigilant. Though if Luma's there, the hitlag may screw us up, we'll see XD)

Nothing else comes to mind immediately. I'll come back here if something major happens after Feb 3rd/4th in terms of patches.

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
I have a lot of trouble against tink's projectiles, I get really overwhelmed by them, especially with his bombs, like if I shield they destroy luma. And if I gravity pull I get rushed, I'm not saying tink wins, I just find myself getting overwhelmed by his projectiles when he starts to camp me, I find it really tough to win the neutral game as I feel like I can't separate luma and those projectiles just overwhelm me. Any ideas? :/

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
I can't suggest what to do in the matchup, but I did forget to come back to this thread if Toon Link got buffed, and he got his first set of buffs ever. Back-air has far less ending lag, making this a more practical tool we can make use of in neutral (Vs Luma for example), and Spin Attack comes out 2 frames sooner. Just be aware of those tools.

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. I'll just have to find a way to deal with projectiles in general.
If you could grab some Rosalina's to comment here, we could have a discussion going? I can't say what works best for a Rosalina player as the Toon Link player, but I don't want to leave you hanging either XD

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
kk XD, hopefully people can see this if I can't get anybody. Also do you know where can find the Hyuga vs Dabuz match at Genesis 3, I think that could really help me learn this matchup a lot better.

Last edited:

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
kk XD, hopefully people can see this if I can't get anybody. Also do you know where can find the Hyuga vs Dabuz match at Genesis 3, I think that could really help me learn this matchup a lot better.
Hyuga and Dabuz didn't fight at Genesis. In fact, after searching it up to confirm, I found that they paired up for doubles. Tbh that's actually pretty cool XD

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
Oh right XD. Well the next best thing would be to have some matches against toon link players. Like you or anyone else on the tink boards and see what I'm doing incorrectly.

Royug

Smash Cadet
GHOST4700 GHOST4700 If you're far from Toon Link, use Gravitational Pull to capture his bombs. If you're too close from him, then you can use dash attack to dodge the bomb and attack him.

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
Oh right XD. Well the next best thing would be to have some matches against toon link players. Like you or anyone else on the tink boards and see what I'm doing incorrectly.
I'm totally down to fight so we can both learn! Only thing is my 3DS is broken and I don't have too much time in the week to sit down and play Wii U usually. I'll try to remember next weekend. PM me in case I forget!

Top Bottom