• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Dr. Mario

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Dr. Mario

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. Dr. Mario match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Dr. Mario. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

Last Updated: 1/24/2016
Special Moves Allowed| | :4drmario:
Default only | :rosalina: | +0.5 - +1
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | +1 - +1.5
Default only
A2ZOMG: +1
Royug: +1 - +2
Underhill: +1 - +2
vegeta18: -1

Default + Custom
Underhill: +1 - +2
vegeta18: +1

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
+1 Rosa's favor. She has the usual really stupid stuff for walling, juggling, and edgeguarding, so the matchup isn't in Doc's favor because of that. Especially since Doc does not move very fast in the air, he has to worry a lot about getting his landing covered by Rosalina's massive U-smash and other things.

However, Doc has B-throw and Down-B as really good tools for potentially instakilling Luma, and when Luma is down Doc's strong SH aerial game demands much more respect in neutral especially since his B-air can be a high % KO move and Rosalina is tall enough for Doc to mix up his positioning with fullhop rising aerials. More importantly, Doc can do Jab2 -> Up-B on Rosalina because she's floaty. Sure she can try to jump out of it, but you can't block this KO setup once the Jab connects. Rosalina's tall and floaty stature is also ideal for Doc's D-throw -> U-air strings, which again you could try to jump out of at really low percents, but the positional advantage is still strong for Doc's damage racking.

Also Tornado edgeguard is really good against Rosalina's recovery if the right read is made. Lingers forever and does a pretty good job of KOing.

So basically, Rosalina does have neutral, and her stupid good positive state with Luma can never be ignored. However Doc does better than average at killing Luma when given an opportunity, and he does not have trouble ending Rosalina's stock when he's in a position to capitalize.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG : Is this "Default only"? It'll help me if you state which category your score is for; you can choose between "Default only", "Default + Custom", or both.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, I was talking default. Default Rosa vs Doc is +1 Rosalina imo.

I don't really know how Doc interacts with Rosalina's other customs. I can just quickly tell you that Doc will most likely be running Fast Pill, Breezy Sheet, Default Up-B, and Soaring Tornado. (2312) Breezy Sheet I imagine helps edgeguards and landing options against Rosalina which is nice. Fast Pill is sorta annoying given Rosalina is tall enough to SH rising Pill iirc. Soaring Tornado, not sure if Rosa D-air beats it as Doc is recovering. But you have to keep in mind that the end hitbox kills EXTREMELY early and lasts like 19 frames.

Last edited:

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
Yeah, I was talking default. Default Rosa vs Doc is +1 Rosalina imo.

I don't really know how Doc interacts with Rosalina's other customs. I can just quickly tell you that Doc will most likely be running Fast Pill, Breezy Sheet, Default Up-B, and Soaring Tornado. (2312) Breezy Sheet I imagine helps edgeguards and landing options against Rosalina which is nice. Fast Pill is sorta annoying given Rosalina is tall enough to SH rising Pill iirc. Soaring Tornado, not sure if Rosa D-air beats it as Doc is recovering. But you have to keep in mind that the end hitbox kills EXTREMELY early and lasts like 19 frames.
Rosalina's Dair beats all of Dr. Mario's tornado's, as the halo below her is transcendent

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
i agree that with customs off, this match is +1 in doc`s favour. I havent had the chance to play against a good doc with customs on yet, but rosa has a slight advantage. She can gimp doc pretty nicely, and beats him in the neutral with her good range and trancending hitboxes. Pill isnt too much of a problem, i played against a really good doctor mario in tournament recently, and really the only times i had trouble was when he managed to hit me off stage, i died pretty early to his aerials and edgeguard. Other that that i think rosa takes this match pretty solidly, aslong as she has good spacing.

Eternal Blue Syaoran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueEternal
I scanned over some of the posts... but is voting the only logic behind the final scores for matchups?
I guess I find it odd that Dr. Mario is a +0 for Rosalina and Mario is a +1 for her.
In my opinion Dr. Mario has a harder time against her than Mario...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I scanned over some of the posts... but is voting the only logic behind the final scores for matchups?
I guess I find it odd that Dr. Mario is a +0 for Rosalina and Mario is a +1 for her.
In my opinion Dr. Mario has a harder time against her than Mario...
The way it works is that all the score inputs are added up, and then divided to get an average score. The reason for why the current averages are what they are has to do with the amount of participants who are willing to give the Rosalina players some useful information.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Time to give info on the MU.

:rosalina:: With her range, speed(not faster than fox), and luma on her side, Dr Mario is gonna have a hard time getting in because of his slow mobility even will pills. Because of her disjoint up-air, Dr Mario has to be careful landing against since his air attacks can't beat her up-air or even reach with drill kick, having slow air speed, and fast falling speed to get out of her juggles. Because of his falling and being alittle heavier than Mario, Rosalina can combo him with down throw(to f-air and to up-air) up-throw to up tile, and other auto cancelled combos from n-air and forward air. Since Doc is slow, she can use her forward tile, down tile, n-air, and jab to stop his appoarches, and run away if luma is dead.
Her off stage can take out Dr Mario with ease because of his low jump heigh(and the jump punch), falling speed, and slow air speed. Her back air can stage spike him if he recovers low, she can use luma to cover his get up and jump on the ledge and Rosalina can punish his roll for a grab, down smash, down tile, and forward smash. Next, her down air which is death for Dr Mario if he gets spiked or knock far by luma's hitbox.

:4drmario:While Dr Mario doesn't have the speed to keep up with Rosalina, he has the damage output, ko options, and moves to knock out luma and kill Rosalina quickly than she can since she's light, tall, and floaty. With his tornado, oos jump punch, back throw, and forward smash, Dr Mario can take luma off stage and focus on putting the hurt on Rosalina. Jab 1 & 2 to jump punch set up might help with taking out luma, but be careful or else, she can punish your landing lag. His power is better and he can early kills against Rosalina such as forward smash, forward air(for a hard read and to the ledge), tornado gimp off stage, and jab 2 to jump punch set up to the ledge(if jab 2 doesn't work, try jab 1 because its more efficient against floaty characters).
While her off stage game is better, Dr Mario can also gimp her too with back air and tornado. While her recovery can reach the ledge more than Doc's, it doesn't have a hitbox and safe to stage spike with back air. While his sex kick can't kill off stage, its useful to launch her farther to force her to use her double jump and use launching star for a easy gimp with Doc. Drill kick and tornado are something to watch out for because he can cover her get up and jump from the ledge. Tornado can also kill her off stage if you can catch her recovery in time and have enough percentage to do so.

Aviod Battlefield and Dreamland because Rosalina can use platforms to her advantage to juggle Doc and give him a hard time getting out of them because of her tall height and his slow mobility.

Customs:
:4drmario:: fast pills and gust cape are your best friend for this match up. Soaring tornado, if you want alittle more height, but be careful recovering with it since its has less height sideways.
:rosalina::With shooting star bit and teleport star, its harder for Doc because her customs are better, give her options to edgeguard, and to stop his appoarches even more.

I think this MU is at 1.5 best for Rosalina because while Doc has the killpower and damage output to take out Luma and kill Rosalina quickly, Her speed, range, and edgeguarding hurts him more than the mother of stars. This MU will be even harder for Dr Mario than it is for Mario because of his slow mobility both the ground and in the air.

Edit: For customs, maybe 2 or 1.5+ for Rosalina because of Doc's slow mobility and predictable recovery.

Last edited:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
What's the best way for Rosalina to deal with Doctor Tornado? Shielding the whole thing usually means Luma dies, but I wasn't able to successfully challenge it with jab or usmash. Do I just need better timing?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What's the best way for Rosalina to deal with Doctor Tornado? Shielding the whole thing usually means Luma dies, but I wasn't able to successfully challenge it with jab or usmash. Do I just need better timing?
Rosalina (along with pretty much all the other fighters) can punish Dr. Tornado by grabbing Dr. Mario after it ends. In terms of protecting the Luma against it, that's easier said than done, unless the default Star Bits can plow through Dr. Tornado.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Dr. Mario is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

Royug

Smash Cadet
I mean, it sure would be nice to have more feedback from players, but neither Rosa nor Dr. Mario got any changes with the last patch, so...

Anyway, I feel that Rosa has the advantage here, especially because of her greater range with Luma, speed and juggling game. Dr Mario is somewhat heavy and doesn't have a lot of mobility in the air, so it's really easy to keep him in the air with U-airs. In neutral, it's also hard for him to get in on Rosalina because of the range of her attacks, and pills don't help that much because of his slow speed and Rosa's GP. Rosa can also edgeguard him pretty hard because of her amazing down-air and his poor recovery.

The only time that Doc can really be a threat is when Rosa is offstage. He can edgeguard and gimp her in many ways : pills, offstage tornado and even the cape works against a careless Rosa or when he pressures her to recover above the ledge. I think the key here is to be careful not to get hit by pills, then waiting and baiting until the Doc does something. Then you can Up-B from an angle or straight up from under the ledge depending on his move. When offstage, you can also GP to absorb pills and stale Rosa to buy time.

So in my opinion, with customs off, this is a solid +1.5 if not +2 out of 3. I have no opinion for customs, I never play with them On.

Top Bottom