• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Donkey Kong

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Donkey Kong

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. Donkey Kong match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Donkey Kong. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

Last Updated: 1/10/2016
Special Moves Allowed| | :4dk:
Default only | :rosalina: | +1
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | ±0
Default only
Big O: +1 - +2
Kaishin: ±0
Karinole: +1
tconan: +2
TSmasher1000: +1 - +2

Default + Custom
Big O: ±0
Karinole: ±0
tconan: ±0
TSmasher1000: ±0

tconan

Smash Cadet
+2 default, 0 with customs
Rosalina pros:
-great juggling
-outranges DK
-quicker than DK
DK pros:
-kills early
Rosalina customs:
-Luma warp really helps here since if you're close to DK the cyclone will reck you, and warp provides a punish from across the stage
-shooting star bit forces DK to approach
DK customs:
-punch with windbox can kill Rosa at 0% on some stages
-cyclone separates Luma and is basically lagless upon landing, which provides a great approach, recovery, edgeguarding tool, and limits Rosalina to the ground most of the time

JustTerry

Smash Rookie
I've been having some trouble with this matchup, especially landing back on the stage. The person I'm playing against is probably just better than me but nonetheless, any tips?

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
This is another MU where a character just suffers from big body syndrome against Rosalina. Because of this donkey kong eats a lot of percentage off of her punishes and can't easily escape juggles do to trouble landing. DK does have some useful tools here but for the most part it is very difficult for him to get past luma.

+1 with no customs; 0 with customs cause wind kong is silly.

TSmasher1000

Smash Rookie
+1.5 without customs: His ding-dong doesn't even work on her if Luma's alive. Just input u-air and he'll be at a disadvantage in cargo throw. You could even score off a kill if lucky. Also juggles DK, outspaces him, and can kill him equally early.
0 with customs: DK gets huge buffs from customs. His cyclone basically kills luma. If played well, you can outspace with luma warp and shooting star bits, but DK can kill much earlier and punish Rosalina earlier by killing Luma.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Donkey Kong is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

Shammonx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shammon
I'm assuming you guys saw the DKWill vs Dabuz set this weekend? I think that's all that needs to be said on this match up. haha

Kaishin

Smash Apprentice
Fighting DK is dumb. We definitely have the advantage but it's not +1.5. That is ridiculous. In contrast to fatties like Bowser and DeDeDe, The Dong has a lot of fast moves in conjunction with his typical amazing heavyweight range. He is also very difficult to gimp because his up b is wonky. I'm not gonna talk about this too much, I just came in here to say that the MU rating is way too high.

I don't want to misrepresent here, so I say +0 without customs (despite me saying that Rosa wins this). I have no comment with customs, since I have not been DK shenanigan'd by them yet.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
DK vs Rosa is obviously a bad MU for DK, but I wouldn't go so far as to say she hard counters him. I would say she is a soft counter, so I'd have to go with +1.5 (or w/e 65:35 would be) Rosa in the default meta. With customs, DK has a way easier time and has access to much better anti-Luma tools. Overall with customs, I'd say it's +0 at worst for DK.

Most of what makes this a bad MU for DK is just how much random jank Luma is capable of doing. DK doesn't have that many attacks with enough base knockback to knock Luma away without prior damage, so he is prone to random Luma jank counter hits. Luma also gets to counter hit DK for free while getting carried during his Cargo Hold, tripped by Dtilt, or dizzy from Side B shield breaks. All of DK's Cargo Combos are basically sealed away while Luma is nearby. DK's Hand Slap won't hit Luma since it floats too high in the air 99% of the time. Rage Luma KO's DK absurdly early with thanks to it's insanely high base knockback, effectively negating most of DK's natural bulk. Luma rapid jab loop while DK is on the ledge is pretty much free damage.

What keeps DK from losing too horribly is Rosa being floaty, lightweight, tall, and having an exploitable recovery. Her slow fall speed makes her landings easier to abuse and anticipate. Her weight + low gravity makes her vulnerable to pretty early KO's, especially vertical KO moves like Dsmash or DK's infamous grab combo. Spacing SH Bair against Rosa is easier than against most others due to how tall she is and rising FH Bair will hit her as well. DK is pretty good at edgeguarding, so recoveries that don't have hitboxes are pretty easy for him to intercept. Rosa has enough distance, mobility, and range of motion to mix it up and avoid getting spiked most of the time, but DK can safely rack up damage or go for stage spikes with his lingering aerials. DK can also exploit Luma to hit Rosa when she dodges or gets up from the ledge by having the hitlag from hitting Luma prolong the attack until Rosa's invincibility wears off.

With customs on, even though Rosalina improves with Shooting Star Bit and Luma Warp, DK gains way more. With Kong Cyclone, he can actually land and easily challenge Rosa in the air at any time. Jumping Headbutt gives DK a juggle interrupting/landing mixup that also knocks Luma away, unlike the default. Hot Slap excels at shutting down airborne opponents, including Luma, and doubles as a legit KO move. Lightning Punch gives DK a reliable safe on block poke that knocks Luma away. Storm Punch can gimp or outright KO Rosa when done at the right time and puts her in a bad position offstage when it doesn't. Luma just gets so easy to slap around with customs that the MU improves dramatically, despite Rosa's better specials. After all, without Luma the only special move she can use is Up B lol.

If DK manages to get some momentum by getting rid of Luma efficiently (customs really help here) or landing an early KO move, DK has a good chance to take the match. Otherwise, it is an uphill battle of attrition that DK will lose more often than not.

Top Bottom