• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Rosalina Match-Up Analysis (Obsolete & Succeeded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavenKing50

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bangstar56
3DS FC
3995-6653-8699
This match-up is definetly in Rosalina's favor

Advantages
-Rosalina can shut down Link's projectile game thanks to her down-b (except bombs if not careful)
-Can easily juggle Link
-Link has some moves that can be easily punish
-Solid KO potential with Luma against Link

Disadvantages
-Link can KO Rosalina easily if not careful
-Link has decent options against the Luma when separated
-With no Luma Link can outrange Rosalina

This is one of those match-ups that Rosalina needs to keep the Luma at all times

I give this Match-up 60-40

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I've struggled against a lot of Link players online, but I'm not sure if it's because I need to practice more, latency messing me up, or Link legitimately having the advantage.

Gravitational Pull looks like a good option on paper, but in my experience Link doesn't really go for the long range projectile game. Instead he wants to stay in a vaguely close- to mid-range zone where he can follow up on projectile hits, and using Gravitational Pull in this range is punishable, I'm pretty sure.

Rosalina probably has more overall range than Link, but think that Link has more disjoint on his sword than we do on our galaxies. So footsies are interesting, especially since we depend on Luma for a lot of our extra range and thus have to worry about that sword disjoint.

His shield can't block default Star Bits since they count as physical disjoint, which is nice. Dunno how it reacts to Floaty Star Bit.

He definitely has the tools to deal with a lone Luma so sending it out isn't a brilliant idea.

I'll refrain from a specific ratio for now because there are a lot of factors that could be influencing my feelings and I can't reliably separate them by myself. I could see it going anywhere from 6:4 to 4:6. (M&SG: Don't interpret this as a 50:50 on my behalf yet please.) If someone could talk about the theory behind the matchup (what we should be trying to do, what Link should be trying to do), that would help.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Pretty sure I've never lost to a For Glory link.

However, I got wrecked by a Link in an online tournament. Not sure if it was the player or the character but..

Man it's hard to do these MU analyses with character you don't see a lot being used competitively. For glory is one thing but I feel like despite our best efforts we're not going to be able to fully come up with reliable information here. I think, if anything, MU ratios might even be hurtful at this point.

I'm just going to stop giving ratios, I don't think they're helpful to anyone.

My only real input on this MU is Link is harder to edgeguard than he appears. His tether is really quick and he can use a bomb to prevent you from coming after him. If he has to recover low you can probably dair him but don't aim with Luma, use Rosa's dair, Link's upB will clash with Luma's dair.

I think the real key to winning this is getting in just at that perfect range where he can't reach you but Luma can reach him. I feel like a lot of his moves are safe on our shield unless he spaces them poorly. He has the range to punish our nair if we shield pressure with it, but nair is still good to use to punish projectiles if they're thrown too close. Don't chase a Link in the air if he has a bomb.

I dunno what else to say.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I'm leaning towards 60-40. It's slightly in her advantage, with the Link having to put slightly more effort in order to win.

I've definitely had my fair share of troubles with the few good Links out there, but I'd like to think it's just me getting outplayed rather than a character issue. Link has an assortment of nearly lagless aerials, a long range Luma sniping zair, and an array of projectiles that sometimes wants to get GP'd, but often doesn't. Link is deceptively fast with enough options that Rosalina is forced to play his game, reacting and waiting for an opening, which is something Rosalina usually has going for her in other given matchups. Oh...and that Up Smash. I know Rosalina has a thing for dying off the top, but Link's upsmash is absolutely terrifying ( I'd hate to sound misinformed, but is the final hit always escapable with proper DI? I've had trouble wiggling out once the first hit connects ).

As others have said, even if you're a fan of sending Luma out, this is one of those matchups where it feels like a strictly worse option. One thing Rosalina has going for her in this matchup is her offstage presence, and ability to get early kills just by persistently hitting Link offstage. With his long range recovery pattern offstage ( Bomb > Jump > Up B > Bomb Explodes > Up B ), Link often doesn't have too much time to throw out attacks to resist Rosalina, and an unsuccessful air dodge almost guarantees the loss of a stock. Having Luma to give that added knockback to get Link offstage as early as possible is outright mandatory for winning this matchup.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll refrain from a specific ratio for now because there are a lot of factors that could be influencing my feelings and I can't reliably separate them by myself. I could see it going anywhere from 6:4 to 4:6. (M&SG: Don't interpret this as a 50:50 on my behalf yet please.) If someone could talk about the theory behind the matchup (what we should be trying to do, what Link should be trying to do), that would help.
Today is the last day that Link will be analyzed, so you still have some time.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
60-40 to 65-35 Rosa favor. Like mentioned earlier, gravity pull shuts down link players that want to zone you out. Uair beats his dair which is really his only option when above. When Link is offstage he should be dead..predictable recovery and it comes up at the angle that is perfect for a dair kill from rosaluma. Rosa's biggest weakness I feel which is landing from being juggled, Link doesn't have the tools to take advantage of enough to sway the mu in his favor in any way.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Uair beats his dair which is really his only option when above.
disagree strongly here but feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, link/toon link both are nearly untouchable in the air if they have enough time to pull a bomb and it sets up rosalina in a really bad situation if she tries to juggle and catches a z dropped bomb instead. his dair is also very difficult to punish with upsmash without trading hits, it seems to hit below rosa's invincible head fairly easily.

link's fast fall seems good enough to me where he can FF airdodge and punish rosa's uair with anything else, too.

i'd say he is easy to juggle when in hitstun but it's not like ganon where you can safely uair him for days

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
disagree strongly here but feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, link/toon link both are nearly untouchable in the air if they have enough time to pull a bomb and it sets up rosalina in a really bad situation if she tries to juggle and catches a z dropped bomb instead. his dair is also very difficult to punish with upsmash without trading hits, it seems to hit below rosa's invincible head fairly easily.

link's fast fall seems good enough to me where he can FF airdodge and punish rosa's uair with anything else, too.

i'd say he is easy to juggle when in hitstun but it's not like ganon where you can safely uair him for days
I never mentioned anything about usmashing Link's dair...who would try that? Now Uair, as I was talking about, beats his dair.

I used to main tink in brawl so I know the bomb life. you predict their bomb pull in the air = you get a free uair. I put myself in a position to punish the bomb pull where link players dont go for that option against me anymore.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
I would have said 50:50 on this one but all the 60:40s are making me second guess myself, haha.

I think Link is REALLY good in this game. This is another situation where Rosalina is the one making the approaches. Link's "projectile wall" is insane. And Gravity only really gives you immunity at large distances. If you try to use it in an approach you just get punished. And then with the reasonable length of the master sword and definitely with zair, this is one of the first MUs I'm giving my input on where I don't feel comfortable saying "Rosalina can out space" With zair she can't and with grounded tilts and stuff it''s like close to even (and only then with Luma) Speaking of Luma everything from jab finisher to tilt to smash is hard hitting enough to really send Luma flying so you have to be extremely careful how and when you shield because Luma's safety is not guaranteed if you let Link get relentlessly aggressive. Finally the weight difference is soooo painful in this matchup. Link is like smaller than Rosalina (or the same size at worst) yet he KOs way earlier and is just so so much heavier than her.

So then the main issues with Link is just that (while being much more mobile than other characters with his weight) he's significantly slower, and laggier than Rosa with slower start up on a lot of moves (especially smashes) So when both players are reading well Rosalina has a lot more chances to come out on top. Luma especially aids in this but only if the Link isn't being a potent Luma killer. Also while zair and projectiles give Link the tools to beat out a lot of Rosalina's air game in a sort of neutral-game-short-hopping setting Rosalina has the more devastating juggle potential and her air attacks beat out most of Link's "finisher" air attacks so he has a lot of trouble juggling her. Like he can zone her pretty well in the air but he doesn't get a lot of opportunity from putting her in the air and she gets a lot of opportunity from putting him there. Finally if you manage to get a punish or a read with a Luma aided side smash then that actually does KO at reasonable percents.

Admittedly, I do rarely struggle with Links I battle online. But I currently think this up to a combination of 1) Link is a likely character for not so serious players to pick 2) for the last 16 years Link has been regarded as a low tier character so more serious players have just been less motivated to learn him. Because the rare really good Link I come across and the ones I see in tournament replays can be insane.

In the end I guess it comes down to that same idea that at higher an higher skill levels the character that has/generates more opportunities wins more often even if the other has much harder punishes. So I'll go with 55:45 for this one.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
60-40 to 65-35 Rosa favor. Like mentioned earlier, gravity pull shuts down link players that want to zone you out. Uair beats his dair which is really his only option when above. When Link is offstage he should be dead..predictable recovery and it comes up at the angle that is perfect for a dair kill from rosaluma. Rosa's biggest weakness I feel which is landing from being juggled, Link doesn't have the tools to take advantage of enough to sway the mu in his favor in any way.
I would put you down as 62.5:37.5, but ratio inputs do have to be divisible by 5. Are you going with 60:40, or 65:35?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Link's discussion period has ended now, so I've added up all the ratio inputs to get the average for Rosalina vs. Link.

:rosalina: [57:43] :4link:

Rosalina has a slight advantage for this match-up.

Next up, we'll be analyzing Rosalina's match-up against Mr. Game & Watch.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Atm I want to say this is 65/35 Rosa. G&W has trouble stopping Rosa from shield camping with Luma because his throws don't help separate them. She also outranges him in most situations. The only things that help G&W universally are his juggles and edgeguards.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
70:30
In my experience Luma just boxes G&W out. There's just not a lot he can do about it safely.

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I'm going with a safe 60:40 because I have to judge based on the few mediocre ones in For Glory, and watching the occasional player in tournament. It's definitely in her favor, but it's hard to say by how much.

A nice thing is that Rosalina safely avoids many of G&W's gimmicks. She's generally too floaty for down throw into hammer, and she doesn't really have anything to bucket ( unless you're using star bits for some reason ). The wind boxes on his down tilt and up air are fairly annoying, but I don't think he really stands to gain as much by keeping Rosalina in the air as he would other characters.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Definitely her favor. 65:35 I guess.

Personally for me, the fact that Luma exists and can hit G&W means that his approaches (usually high-commitment) can get constantly stuffed up, which is truly problematic for him.

The only way I can see myself winning against her is if I really, really, confuse the heck out of her.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'll go with 60:40 since I too have yet to face a really good G&W. Some things of note:

Bucket cannot absorb default Star Bits since they count as physical disjoint. Floaty Star Bit and Shooting Star Bit can be absorbed though. Floaty Star Bit in particular can fill the whole bucket at once due to its lingering hitbox if G&W pulls the bucket out fast enough. The oil spill from Floaty is weak-ish at 18%, although Oil Panic being what it is it's still deadly at higher percents. Catching Shooting bits results in a much stronger spill at 33%, it's a threat. With this in mind I'd probably prefer default or Floaty Star Bit for this matchup.

I guess uair's windbox can be problematic since we're already pretty floaty? I know it can kill under the right circumstances.

I'm like 95% certain utilt/uair beat the key.

GPull beats the food, which shouldn't come as much of a surprise I guess. That said I'm not sure how much G&W really uses it so Guardian Luma may be preferable. IDK.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Have literally only played like one decent G&W. He pulled it out as a counter pick and I'm not really sure what he was going for. Rosalina really doesn't have to put herself in situations where G&W can kill her thx to all of her range. As stated above, it's not hard to zone him, just be smart when he's throwing out his aerials. I don't think they have the priority they did in brawl. He has a few edge guarding options vs your up-B but shouldn't be too much trouble with mix ups. You can easily spike his recovery. I'm pretty sure our up-air beats his d-air. Luma is just such a bane for him. Not to hard a MU, just play standard Rosa and you should be fine. Watch out for his up-smash, it has super armor.

Eh, 65:35 I guess. If a G&W player comes along with some good points I may change it, but definitely in our favor.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Probably 6:4 Rosalina's favor. Like most people here I am lacking solid MU experience but the main difficulty for Game & Watch is approaching. As has been noted, Luma is really annoying for him to work past. It's not too difficult for him to kill Luma, however, and once he does much of the difficulty is eliminated. (It's honestly about even without Luma). Game & Watch is far more mobile in the air than Rosalina which lets him juggle her really hard. The lack of a hitbox on her recovery makes edgeguarding her not very troublesome.

Also it's uncommon but if we 9 Luma it extends the duration of the hitbox, making it possible for Rosalina to run into it and die. Like I said, uncommon, but it exists as a probability :p

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
As someone who use to main Rosalina and someone who understands both the character's strengths and weaknesses fairly well, it's probably 65:35 Rosie's favor

GW has no safe approach options already and against Rosalina it gets him killed very early. Uair stalling against Rosalina is less effective when she has no Luma because you are stalling the match in her favor.

She's light and she'll die early but it's not enough to offset the clear disadvantage he has in the neutral. The goal to approaching Rosalina is to approach safely so that if you hit one of the them the other doesn't hit you back and he can't really do that with any move.

IMO The only thing that even makes the matchup as possible as it is is the edgeguarding. That's where he will need to get most of his damage, so Rosalina should avoid being offstage, that's the only place he can challenge her and she has the tools to avoid that happening.

Be careful Up-Bing past the ledge, GW has windboxes that can exploit that but generally he will at most be able to get a dash attack. it's the only thing he should be able to get out in time to punish that

It's just a really bad time for GW, I would never attempt this matchup in tournament, personally.

FrameImperfect

Smash Cadet
NNID
3x3=?
3DS FC
0044-2904-0617
The G&W matchup is 65:35 in favor of Rosalina.

G&W isn't able to deal with most of the disjointed hitboxes she has, similar to how G&W has problems vs Links and FEs. Star Bits can be thrown out without worrying about the Bucket, and Gravitational Pull neuters the use of Chef almost completely. G&W is among the lightest characters in the game, so playing aggressive yields better results than not doing so.

Dispatching Luma is fairly easy for G&W, and the edgeguarding game is in G&W's favor, however, due to his faster air speed and incredibly high-reaching Up B. Because of this, the Rosalina player has to pick a stage with a shallow dropzone to counteract this.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mr. Game & Watch's discussion period is now over, so after adding up all the ratio inputs, here's the ratio average for Rosalina vs. Mr. Game & Watch.

:rosalina: [63.89:36.11] :4gaw:

Rosalina has the advantage for this match-up.

Next up, we'll be analyzing Rosalina's match-up against Zelda.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
Farore's WInd.....'nough said

but nah, when I play Zelda I can never make the reads to land it yet when I fight Zelda they just warp into me all day long....
I don't know if I have a fair opinion on this match up because I have a friend who's better than me and just owns me so hard all day long Zelda v Rosalina. Like I seriously want to say it favors Zelda but I know everyone will disagree XD

Zelda and Rosalina are similar weights and similar speeds but Zelda has more instantaneous and pressure inducing KO options (or so I feel) where as Roslaina has better standard attack ranges (especially with Luma) and a way better air game. Zelda ends up forcing you to shield a lot (since her grab isn't that spamable) and as a result she KOs Luma a lot. I'm defintley looking forward to hearing the things that people think make Rosalina better (if they think so) because this is a match up I am motivated to learn better XD

@ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy you can consider me an abstain for this round.

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Zelda vs Rosalina

Neutral game
Getting Luma is gonna make this match up much easier and for Zelda this is really easy. She can get rid of it using dash attack, Din's Fire, and Farore's Wind. In this match up, Luma will almost be nonexistent. If Rosalina is nairing unsafely far away, we can punish her with Farore's Wind. Rosalina can pressure better than we can with nair around us and forcing us to shield, due to her big size she is an easy target to lightning kicks. When she is pressuring us with nairs, we can bair, fair, Nayru's Love, or utilt oos depending on where she is. The main strategy in this MU for us is to wait and punish. If she still has Luma with her which is rare, she can wall us our with a brick wall of jabs, but again Luma will be dead most the time. Rosalina will go for lots of grabs, and Zelda shields a lot. Whenever yew see her about to grab, use Nayru's Love. Never get predictable shielding. Rosalina can get combos off her grabs at almost any percent. If the combo isn't guaranteed, we can love jump and counter attack or land on the stage safely. This also means that her uair stings won't be effective. Her jab is super fast and knocks us offstage and also can kill. This will stop any reckless approach we do. Her dash attack will cover our landings and punish our whiffed grabs. We can cover hers with Farore's Wind. Combos for Rosalina are all off her grabs. We can get utilt oos and that can lead to a combo. Our main punish tool will be dash attack, since it will get her offstage which is a good position for us. At high percents, Rosalina will be camping for a grab to get us offstage or a uair. This is good for us since a whiffed grab will lead to an elevator ride or lightning kick. In conclusion I will say that Rosalina must be very cautious and not make reckless mistakes or she will get heavily punished. Space is her main game, but without luma it is very diminished.
Offstage Game
Zelda absolutely does better than Rosalina here. We can dair, or dtilt at her. Phantom can kill her offstage at early percent. Since our dtilt hits beneath the ledge, Rosalina will most likely try to Up B over us onto the stage. We can punish that with Farore's wind and get her offstage again. Our dair is one of the strongest spikes in the game and the sweetspot is stupidly easy to land. We could get a dair in between her recovery, or after a ledge dtilt. One thing to note is that if the Zelda is super skilled, they could Farore's wind at the ledge and cancel the ending lag while hitting with the sourspot, and follow up with a dair. Probably won't happen, but still always keep that in mind. When we are offstage, Rosalina can't really do much. Our Farore's wind is very safe and hard to gimp. We can also mix up our recovery with a love jump. Rosalina will most likely get more mileage out of catching us at the ledge. Rosalina has lots of ledge options at the ledge like dsmash and jab. With luma its even scarier. The both of them can cover both a ledge getup or a ledge attack with a jab attack or dsmash. If we jump then can catch us with a usmash, utilt, or uair. Zelda must find an opening to get back to the stage or find a right time to fair or Nayru them off. Overall Zelda can gimp her and kill her early from an edgeguard while Rosalina can't. She can cover ledge options and rack up damage but can't gimp or edgeguard Zelda when she's offstage
Kills
Zelda kills earlier with the elevator and lightning kicks and fsmash. Its also good to note that bthrow and ftilt are gonna kill at around 120% The way she gets her kill moves are off punishes while Rosalina can just throw out a smash. If she had Luma she can kill about 10% later than Zelda but since Luma will probably be dead most the time its a big difference. Rosalina can also kill with uairs. If we are really up high and she gets a utilt. We could die at like 40% but its unlikely. Her bthrow kills as early as ours does. Her kill moves are safer but a whiffed kill move from Zelda will be punished. We can kill like 30% earlier.
Also since I think Zelda is one weight class higher than Rosalina, she's easier to kill.
Stages
Platforms benefit Rosalina more than us so we want a stage like FD or Smashville. Always ban town and city since sometimes it can have high platforms which help her kill fast.
Score
:4zelda: 60 - 40 :rosalina:

@ BJN39 BJN39 welp. back to my pokeball. @ S.F.L.R_9 S.F.L.R_9 since yew main Rosalina and know the Match Up decently. Put your imput here.​

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
The match up with Rosalina vs Zelda is 55:45 in my opinion.

Zelda can kill rosalina earlier than her but, rosalina aerials outrange and out speed zeldas'. On the ground Luma will die quickly as stated by Macchiato by zeldas dins fire, lighting kicks, and farore's wind. Rosalina just has to play cautiously and patient, but in the right hands, Rosalina does have an advantage due to her quicker, less laggy moves on both on the ground and most in the air.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
The match up with Rosalina vs Zelda is 55:45 in my opinion.

Zelda can kill rosalina earlier than her but, rosalina aerials outrange and out speed zeldas'. On the ground Luma will die quickly as stated by Macchiato by zeldas dins fire, lighting kicks, and farore's wind. Rosalina just has to play cautiously and patient, but in the right hands, Rosalina does have an advantage due to her quicker, less laggy moves on both on the ground and most in the air.
Actually without Luma they're at the same range. The outspeeds part is true but zelda can easily punish her with a lightning kick which will kill her like at 60% without luma rosalina can kill until 110%. A zelda won't approach and doesn't have too, but rosalina does and zelda will punish every mistake Rosie makes

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
How disjointed is lightning kick? Rosalina has tons of disjoints on basically everything.

We can also GPull the Phantom which looks hilarious when it happens, but not Din's Fire.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
How disjointed is lightning kick? Rosalina has tons of disjoints on basically everything.

We can also GPull the Phantom which looks hilarious when it happens, but not Din's Fire.
It isn't but it can still punish her aerials after they hit her shield because lightning kick is basically a combo finisher or punish move. Just tested and Zeldas Fsmash outranges rosies

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
First off, every Zelda and Rosa player should watch this match of Nairo vs Dabuz for a good understanding of the matchup.

Alright, although it may sound odd, I have to agree with Macchiato that this matchup is 100% in Zelda's favor. Get ready for a wall of text
Getting rid of Luma
Din's Fire is great at pressuring Rosalina (who thought I would ever say that lol) bc it provides slight shield pressure while also getting Luma out of the picture. Another great alternative is the Phantom. Nayru's also is really good as an oos option because it destroys Luma as well, and even if Rosalina can punish you her Luma will still be too far away for her to do a significant amount of damage. Even if she gets a dthrow at 0%, what's she gonna do to Zelda? Most of the time, even if Zelda DI's, the only thing that will be able to hit her is a fair, which isn't a big deal at all.

Neutral / Approaching
Zelda is going to spam Din's Fire (Brawl habits living on aw yeah) to shield pressure Rosa and get rid of Luma, which is going to either force her to approach due to her slowly whittling down shield, or allow you to approach due to the absense of Luma. In the neutral, I find Phantom is really good to completely stop her approach. If she does get into your area and tries to use Lunar Landed nairs, I'm pretty sure Zelda can do dtilt/dsmash oos before Rosa can shield.

To address approaching as Rosalina, roll past that Din's Fire. It's the only option that saves Luma from being obliterated. When I was playing Macchiato, I noticed that the usual approach of nair is not very good in this matchup. Zelda can easily FW past or into her, striking both her and Luma. I'd advice not using Rosa's nair too much in this matchup, but if you do just make sure you do it at the right time.

I wasn't sure what other section to put it in, but I figured it'd fit fine here: Zelda can use Nayru's Love to get out of Rosa's multihit jab

K i l l s (aka bye Rosa)
Zelda can do some nasty, crazy, disgusting things to KO Rosa, whereas Rosalina doesn't have particularly special KO options against Zelda. First off, Rosalina is one of the tallest characters in the game. In other words, LIGHTNING KICKS GALORE. From the center of FD, a LK kills Rosalina at 75 - 80%, whereas fsmash kills her at 90-100%. Pretty nasty right? WELL THAT'S NOT ALL. Albeit risky, Zelda can KO Rosa at 60% with a dthrow to Farore's Wind combo. To top it off, I'm pretty sure that dtilt to a jump cancelled Farore's Wind is a guranteed KO combo at 50 PERCENT. Rosa's most reliable kill moves in this matchup are probably going to be fsmash to punish failed LK's and overall end lag from Zelda, as well as usmash just because that's a great KO tool for Rosalina in general.

Kind of related to kills: Two lightning kicks or two to three (depends on if they continue holding shield) sweetspotted dairs can break Rosa's shield.

GIMPS GIMPS GIMPS
Rosalina has her signature dair that either spikes or hits like a frickin train if Luma's hitbox connects. I've found Luma's nair and Rosa/Luma's bair gimps to also be very useful against Zelda. Rosalina will have to be extremely careful when recovering as Zelda's dtilt reaches below the ledge and can pop her up, leading to some crazy dair spikes. (if the time stamp doesn't work for the video it happens at 2:20).

Something important to note that relates to the offstage game is getting back on stage.
Rosalina dominates the ledge while Zelda is trying to get back up, since Rosa players usually send Luma out to the very edge and place Rosa a bit away from Luma to cover options, I find that dropping down, jumping, and using Farore's diagonally downwards and into the stage is great. It hits Luma if it's right at the very edge of the stage, and if Rosalina is standing far away the reappearing hitbox will hit her.

This is one of the few top tier matchups where I feel like going Zelda is my best choice.
:4zelda:60:40:rosalina:

I've never really done a matchup analysis before but.. hope this helps.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
Whelp... perhaps my feeling that Zelda is better was correct? haha, I shouldn't second guess myself so much.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd like to point out that while Zelda can use Din's Fire to put pressure on the Luma, if customizations are used, Shooting Star Bit can mess up Zelda before she has any chance of getting Din's Fire at Rosalina's location. Similarly, Luma Warp bypasses the reflecting properties of Nayru's Love.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I'd like to point out that while Zelda can use Din's Fire to put pressure on the Luma, if customizations are used, Shooting Star Bit can mess up Zelda before she has any chance of getting Din's Fire at Rosalina's location. Similarly, Luma Warp bypasses the reflecting properties of Nayru's Love.
Then zelda gets dins flare which is faster and always does Max damage. If without the shooting star bit we could use nayrus passion which sucks them in first to easily separate them even faster. We also get phantom strike which has no dead zone, and does like 30% full charge and charges 2x faster

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I'll make a comment that if Zelda is hit while she's controlling the fireball wisp, it will travel its full distance or until it makes contact with a wall.

With this in mind, if Zelda were to angle it down slightly, it could still make its way to Rosa and or Luma. Of course Rosalina can shield it, but Luma can't.

Just putting that out there.

Also, with customs, there's also fast Din's, (Ninja's sort of, i meant Din's Flare.) which would make killing luma possibly easier, and also improving the distance at which she could camp a luma-less Rosalina.

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Then zelda gets dins flare which is faster and always does Max damage. If without the shooting star bit we could use nayrus passion which sucks them in first to easily separate them even faster. We also get phantom strike which has no dead zone, and does like 30% full charge and charges 2x faster
did I just hear Nayru's Passion has a use LOL
well I guess in the situation that Rosalina is using Luma Warp then it actually may be the best option.

Also, if Rosalina is just going to sit there spamming her Falco laser star bits, fast Din's is a thing as mentioned, and so is teleporting into her if you get the timing correct

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
did I just hear Nayru's Passion has a use LOL
well I guess in the situation that Rosalina is using Luma Warp then it actually may be the best option.

Also, if Rosalina is just going to sit there spamming her Falco laser star bits, fast Din's is a thing as mentioned, and so is teleporting into her if you get the timing correct
Actually yes, dins passion knocks luma out even farther and can kill. Only if they don't use the shooting star bit this would be better than love

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah in a match where customs are used, it does pay to keep an eye on which specials that Rosalina and Zelda are using.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Only if they don't use the shooting star bit this would be better than love
Wait so if you're saying to use Love if the Rosalina uses shooting star bits, is shooting star bits counted as a projectile? I know the default is treated as an extended hitbox and can't be absorbed/reflected, but I'm unsure about shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom