• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Won’t Let You Rest In Peace – Lara Croft for SM4SH

Status
Not open for further replies.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Won’t Let You Rest In Peace – Lara Croft for SM4SH

Who is Lara Croft

If you have been living under a rock, Lara Croft is one of the most iconic video game characters of all time. She has; 22 games under her belt, two movies (a third being planned), a cartoon show, a comic book series and amusement park rides.

Lara Croft made her first appearance in the 1996 videogame ‘Tomb Raider’, in which Lara uncovers mysterious artefacts, in numerous tombs around the world. Throughout the story we see her racing to the artefacts before her rivals, Natla Industries, can get there hand on it. Due to the success of the game, ‘Tomb Raider’ would spawn many sequels. All following Lara’s quest to uncover many artefacts and fighting off numerous enemies. It is important to note that throughout Lara’s lifetime we have seen two developers working on her games. The first being Core Design, however after a decade Crystal Dynamics would take control which would later be bought by Square Enix.

Lara’s most recent game, released year, once again named ‘Tomb Raider’, featured a complete reboot. One of the most distinct changes was that Crystal Dynamics chose to make the game more open, rather than the original blue-prints of ‘Tomb Raider’, this being linear. The game was set in a small island (in which Lara could explore), called Yamati. The plot (not spoiling much), looks at the events that taking place after Lara survives a ship-wreck and trying to find survivors. This game was never released on a Nintendo console, so it may not be that relevant when it comes to Lara’s moveset in Super Smash Bros.

Another point to mention (although not necessarily that important when selecting characters), is that Lara helps balance the roster when it comes to gender (being that there is a lack of female characters) and also being a Western developed character (once again here is a lack of them.)

What Can Lara Croft Do?

Lara Croft is a well-rounded character when it comes to combat in her games. She is skilled hand-to-hand, and is very acrobatic when it comes to close encounters. However her more iconic weapons of use are her dual wielding pistols. In fact Lara Croft uses mainly pistols, from desert eagles to magnums. But that’s not the only weapons in her arsenal, she has be known to use SMGS, rocket launchers, shotguns, crossbows and many more weapons.

List of Tomb Raider Games on Nintendo Consoles

999 - Tomb Raider Last Revelation (GBC)

2000 – Tomb Raider (GBC)

2001 - Tomb Raider: Curse of the Sword (GBC)

2002 – Tomb Raider: The Prophecy (GBA)

2006 – Tomb Raider: Legend (GC, GBA, DS)

2007 – Tom Raider: Anniversary (Wii)

2008 – Tomb Raider: Underworld (Wii, DS)

Moveset

Done by ethanrodger223 (Pre-Brawl)

A - Right Jab. (2%) [Lara jabs with her right hand.]
AA - Right Jab, Left Swing. (2%, 2%) [After A, Lara Punches with her left fist.]
AAA - Right Jab, Left Swing, Left Heel.(2%, 2%, 4%)[After AA, Lara lightly strikes the opponent with her left heel.]

Foward A- Spining Force.(6%)[Lara strongly kicks the opponent.]
Up A - Axel Launcher.(9%)[With great force, Lara raises her right leg, until, basically she is preforming the splits while standing.]
Down A - Turning Punch.(6%)[Lara spins to her right into a crouching position, and hits the opponent while finishing.]

(Foward) Smash A - Scissor Kick.(13%)[Lara raises a leg to kick, but pulls it back and jumps foward and kicks high with the other, while midar.]
(Up) Smash A - Double Barrel.(15%,10%)[Lara preforms a sideflip-kick aiming upwards.{Very simular to C.Falcon's (Up) Smash A}
(Down) Smash A - Leg Sweep.(Lara crouches and sweeps both of her legs in front of her.]

Midair:
A - Sex Kick.(9%)[Lara brings her left leg in while striking her right foward.]
→A - Siphon Filter. (7%,7%)[Lara spins and kicks forward with both legs.]
←A - Sucker Punch.(10%)[Lara makes her right hand into a fist, swings backwards and hits her opponent with the top of her hand.]
↓A - Backflip.(12%)[Lara preforms a quick backflip, striking the opponent with the top of her feet.]
↑A - Explosive.(9%)[Lara fires a small explosive upwards.
B - Grenade
>B - Dirtbike
^B - Grappling Hook(Tether)
↓B - Rocket Launcher

Pros & Cons

Pros

+Iconic videogame character

+Third-Party representative for Square Enix (who don’t have a representative)

+A moveset that can reference her attacks in games

+Has a long history for a videogame character

+Probably the most iconic Square Enix character (possibly Cloud being of similar ilk)

+Plenty of Tomb Raider games on Nintendo

Cons

-Getting the licensing may be a pain.

Can’t think of any more at the moment (if people could help me out, you will be noted)

As I’m hopeless with photoshop it would also be useful if someone could do alternative colours for the costume, size comparisons and a Tomb Raider icon. You’ll also be noted

Supporters

TempahRelapse - YoshiandToad

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You know...I always wanted Lara, Spyro and Crash on Playstation All Stars Battle Royale.

I never considered her for Smash, but she certainly has merits and as you said is one of the most iconic video game characters of all time(just behind Pac-Man, Mario, Sonic, etc)

+Third-Party representative for Square Enix (who don’t have a representative)
She's Square Enix, eh?

Finally a Square character I actually can stomach! Alright, just for that you can add me on the list. It's been an age since I played a Tomb Raider, but I'll passively support.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I've always thought Lara one of the people who SHOULD HAVE BEEN in PSASBR.

Also, the most iconic Square character? Yeah right. There's Cloud, Sora, Slime, Neku Sakuraba, and lots of others.

I cannot support her inclusion based on your post and my belief of the character, despite how cool she is.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

Also, the most iconic Square character? Yeah right. There's Cloud, Sora, Slime, Neku Sakuraba, and lots of others.

I cannot support her inclusion based on your post and my belief of the character, despite how cool she is.
i would call here more iconic than Sora and Neku, hell i havent even heard of Neku till right now. id say she's on par with Cloud. keep in mind that in the early 2000s she would have been considered one of THE biggest characters ever. up there with Mario, Pac-Man, Sonic etc. Slime ones of those who is bigger in Japan than here so yeah he's more iconic to them. Tomb Raider has always had a bigger western audience.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
i would call here more iconic than Sora and Neku, hell i havent even heard of Neku till right now. id say she's on par with Cloud. keep in mind that in the early 2000s she would have been considered one of THE biggest characters ever. up there with Mario, Pac-Man, Sonic etc. Slime ones of those who is bigger in Japan than here so yeah he's more iconic to them. Tomb Raider has always had a bigger western audience.
Neku maybe, but not Sora. Sora has a HUGE fanbase, and has one of the most popular series of all time, as well as having one of the most poplar titles on several systems. His games have become a classic in modern day and benefit from the unique melding of Disney and Final Fantasy.

If any square character gets in Smash, it's gonna be from Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, or Dragon Quest,

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Neku maybe, but not Sora. Sora has a HUGE fanbase, and has one of the most popular series of all time, as well as having one of the most poplar titles on several systems. His games have become a classic in modern day and benefit from the unique melding of Disney and Final Fantasy.

If any square character gets in Smash, it's gonna be from Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, or Dragon Quest,
Tomb Raider has like the exact same merits of Kingdom Hearts. it was a system seller for PSX and early PS2, became a multimedia franchise with its movies, comics and hell even theme park rides. now financially Tomb Raider has sold far more than the KH franchise in total. though i acknowledge that its partially helped by Tomb Raider being older. Lara is in the Guinness Book of Records as "The most successful heroine of all time," and was in the video game hall of fame as well. she is just as if not more iconic than KH. now i like KH, i've played every game, i own the manga and hell i even have a keyblade. but i can acknowledge that the 2 are on equal, if not Tomb Raider moreso, playing field.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sora may have a larger fanbase(or at least a more rabid one, I honestly have no idea), but Lara is probably the one most familiar with the general public. Non gamers will have heard of Lara Croft which I'd personally say gives her the edge as 'Most iconic' over Sora and Cloud. If only just.

Not that it means much for this game unless we're going to say Ice Climbers, Lucas and Wii Fit Trainer are more iconic than Toad, Meowth and Pac-Man.

Also doesn't matter because I can't see Cloud, Sora or Lara getting into Smash for some reason.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Don't really play either series and even I'm more familiar with Lara Croft than like Sora or Cloud, so I can vouch for what YoshiandToad's saying as far as iconicness.

That reminds me though, I was actually wanting to play that recent reboot game of hers, with all the good things I've seen and heard about it, but probably wait till a friend gets it.

Anyway, however impossible or unlikely, for what it's worth I'd support Lara for Smash more than I would Bayonetta and the like. :rolleyes:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Don't really play either series and even I'm more familiar with Lara Croft than like Sora or Cloud, so I can vouch for what YoshiandToad's saying as far as iconicness.

That reminds me though, I was actually wanting to play that recent reboot game of hers, with all the good things I've seen and heard about it, but probably wait till a friend gets it.

Anyway, however impossible or unlikely, for what it's worth I'd support Lara for Smash more than I would Bayonetta and the like. :rolleyes:
i loved the game. its a great reboot in that it faithfully recreates Lara's character, or at least the perception of her, while adding to her as well. gameplay is totally approachable and the story is great. i cant wait for the sequel.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman

Although others have pointed it out, I'm still going to reply to this. Firstly I do agree that Cloud, Slime (in Japan) & Sora are iconic characters, they haven't been used in the same amount of different types of media as Lara (I think having her own theme park ride says something.) I doubt Cloud will get in due to him being a protagonist for a couple of Final Fantasy games (I’m guessing), I think Moogle or Black Mage are more likely to get in, due to them re-appearing. As for Sora, Kingdom Hearts may prove to be an issue to get licensing for as Disney may have some sort of deal with Square, where they equally own the rights (this may not be true, but it is a possibility.)

Hope to pick up the game this month, tell me if it's any good.

You know...I always wanted Lara, Spyro and Crash on Playstation All Stars Battle Royale.

Finally a Square character I actually can stomach! Alright, just for that you can add me on the list. It's been an age since I played a Tomb Raider, but I'll passively support.
Added to the OP

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Bad news: She has no chances in a Smash game made by Sakurai. And Lara hates tombs.

Good news: She has a way better chance to be playable in Smash Bros Crusade.

王女 クマトラ

Outta my way, dammit!
NNID
ChieSatonaka
Although I didn't even consider it, she probably has somewhat of a chance being in Smash 4, and as Tomb Raider 2013 was one of my favorite games of the year, I'd absolutely love it, so feel free to add me to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom