• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pangoro for SSB4: #1 Threat to Other Pokemon Newcomers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
"It charges ahead and bashes its opponents like a berserker, uncaring about any hits it might take. Its arms are mighty enough to snap a telephone pole." -Your Pokedex
"And the number one threat to America [Smash Bros] is... Bears!" - Stephen Colbert
Overview
Pangoro is one of the new Pokemon available in Pokemon X and Y, the latest installments in the long running Pokemon Series. Based on the giant panda, as well as the lead od japanese delinquents known as a Bancho, Pangoro is frequently recognized as one of the games' best designs. He is both a dark type and a fighting game type Evolving from the adorable Pancham, Pangoro has had a bad influence on many player's party's worldwide. Pokemon X and Y has been a critical and commercial success for the series, and Pangoro would represent the game and this era's generation of Pokemon well.​
How would he (or she) play?
Pangoro would the Pokemon series's first straight up heavy character, as Charizard shares its role with the other Kanto starters. As in terms of archetypes, it would be a grapply, playing off its fighting type roots. In terms of height and weight, it stands at a tall 6'11" and weighs about 300 pounds, so it would be a slightly crouching character like Bowser. It would be also around the same weight.

Pangoro Moveset by Jaytalks
A Attacks
A-A-A: Comet Punch
Type: Normal
Pangoro does three consecutive punches, with two lefts and one right to finish the combo.
Forward Tilt: Karate Chop
Type: Fighting
Pangoro does a deadly Karate chop with its left hand.
Dash Attack:
Arm Thrust
Pangoro does a palm thrust with its right hand
Crouch:
Comet Punch
Pangoro does a strong punch with its left hand
Down Tilt: Low Sweep
Pangoro does a sweeping kick with its right leg
Forward Tilt: Cut
Pangoro does a side slash with its left hand.
Up Tilt: Slash
Pangoro does a slash type uppercut with its right hand.

Smash Attacks
Forward: Hammer Arm
Pangoro bashes its opponent with thunderous left arm thrust.
Down: Body Slam
Pangoro falls on the ground, damaging opponents on both sides.
Up: X-Scissor
Type: Bug
Pangoro aims upward and holds both his hand back

Special Attacks
Neutral: Thief
Type: Dark
Pangoro steals the item the opponent is wielding, aside from a smash ball. Can't grab while being damaged (like the hammer), or special items like a warp star or Dragoon.
Forward: Crunch
Pangoro dashes forwards and bites the opponent. Can be used for recovery.
Up: Sky Uppercut
Pangoro does a jumping uppercut with his left hand that can be used for recovery.
Down: Vital Throw
Pangoro spins and can grab the opponent from either side, and then throws the opponent. Not enough to knock out the opponent though.

Final Smash: Parting Shot
Pangoro's signature move. Must hit with the first move. Pangoro unleashes its dark aura in front of itself. And opponents caught in this move will have their damage decreased by 50% for the duration of the final Smash.

Pangoro will disappear into its dark aura, and a horde of Pancham will assault the opponents, causing a great deal of damage and knock out type attacks to the opponent. They can be knocked out, but the afflicted player will not be able to so and will have to rely on dodging. Pangoro will reappear after the move is over.

Reasons for Inclusion
1) Its design is cool and fits in with his designs.
2) Bears are awesome. And are a deadly threat. Making them perfect for Smash.
3) It's a bipedal pokemon, giving him the advantage over many other generation 6 pokemon.
4) Its dark type attacks could be unique among the pokemon.
5) Its weight would balance a roster that lacks many heavies.
6) It has a signature move, differentiating it from the competition.

Counter Arguments and Chances
1) It's not a legendary pokemon.
Neither is Lucario.
2) It's not the current "It" pokemon.
Lucario is the only pokemon to be included with this reasoning in mind. It is one of the better pokemon of Generation 6. We will have to wait and see how its popularity develops.
3) It's not important to either the Pokemon anime, Company, or game.
The anime just started on the XY series. I don't have any data regarding pokemon relevance outside the mega evolution, but it was one of the first to be revealed. It's one of the first to be caught in the game.
4) Attacking an animal on the endangered species list?
Pangoro are based on pandas, but actually aren't panda. There's no controversy with it in Pokemon, so I doubt there would be any in Smash.

Honestly, this thread is a big longshot, but the Pokemon bipedal nature and the limited number of new pokemon help's its chances. I'm not really expecting it, just wanted to make a thread for my favorite pokemon from gen 6. There are limited options coming from this generation so far. But there's a chance it might not even be a Pokeball Pokemon.

Music
Smashers who fear Pangoro want more bears in SSB4!
Jaytalks​
Cephalopod17​
Spears in Smash Bros.​
Golden Yuiitusin (he would love it)​
MorbidAltruism​
Venus of the Desert Bloom​
Tepig2000​
Zzuxon​
YoshiandToad​
Louie G.​
Nitrus Virus
ThatWasPeachy​
Supports Icons

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Nice idea, I'll support just because.

(I'm more of a Malamar supporter though)

D

Deleted member

Would love it.

Too bad it's not going to happen.
....nor are Hawlucha and Tyrantrum as awesome either of those would be too....

Morbi

Scavenger
My Pangoro is nicknamed "Po."

I'm more of an Ursaring kind of guy, myself. This is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure that I bite.
What do you mean by that?

Anyways, sign me up. If he isn't a character (which he wont be :cry:) hopefully he is a Pokeball Pokemon.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
By the time Sakurai has done his market research for X and Y, it will already be too late for the 6th Gen. to get a newcomer. Because it was finalized during summer.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't really see how Pangoro is more likely than any other 6th gen pokemon.

Where's the Hawlucha support thread? (Being serious though, Hawlucha feels like he was made for smash Bros)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I don't really see how Pangoro is more likely than any other 6th gen pokemon.

Where's the Hawlucha support thread? (Being serious though, Hawlucha feels like he was made for smash Bros)
I've been working on one!

I'll support Pangoro.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think one of the things that works in favor of the character as opposed to some other bipedal pokemon is that he was revealed relatively early before the game's release. Way before Hawlucha.
I prefer Kung Fu Panda. :troll:
or we could have Pangoro voiced by Jack Black.

By the time Sakurai has done his market research for X and Y, it will already be too late for the 6th Gen. to get a newcomer. Because it was finalized during summer.
Remember, the pokemon company gives him the inside scoop on all things hot in pokemon. Hence, we will see some generation 6 in those Pokeballs, (like Xerneas). The question is, is Pangoro hot?

I've been working on one!

I'll support Pangoro.
I love Hawlucha! As a huge fan of pro wrestling, it would be hard for to not want to see a luchador in Smash. I hope to see your thread soon!
My Pangoro is nicknamed "Po."

I'm more of an Ursaring kind of guy, myself. This is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure that I bite.
My Pangoro is nicknamed Beast. I have an X-Men theme for all my names this time around.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For some reason, I feel that the thread title seems heavily exaggerated. Anyway, if anything, Pangoro will probably get the Poke Ball treatment, considering that it really isn't a major Pokemon to begin with.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I support both Pangoro and Hawlucha. Either would be awesome.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
For some reason, I feel that the thread title seems heavily exaggerated. Anyway, if anything, Pangoro will probably get the Poke Ball treatment, considering that it really isn't a major Pokemon to begin with.
I meant it more jokingly. I didn't end up leaning into it too heavily, but its a reference to Colbert Report's threat down and bears. It's mentioned in the reasoning.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
My Pangoro is called BamBOOM.

My favourite of the 6th gen Pokemon, too bad he had to show up just as Fairy types were introduced.

I'll support, although we're really talking Pokeball at best.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The second best bear for Smash!
(First is Banjo of course)
I support though, haven't really noticed how interesting some Pokémon could be in Smash until now.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Pangoro's pretty cool; one my favorites from this gen. It won't be playable, but I wouldn't mind if it was. Hawlucha and Pangoro would be great for a Pokeball.
Can't really think of which pokemon "defines" this generation, like Lucario did with Gen IV. Some Fairy type, I guess. Certainly seems harder to choose than Lucario was.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Pangoro's pretty cool; one my favorites from this gen. It won't be playable, but I wouldn't mind if it was. Hawlucha and Pangoro would be great for a Pokeball.
Can't really think of which pokemon "defines" this generation, like Lucario did with Gen IV. Some Fairy type, I guess. Certainly seems harder to choose than Lucario was.
What Pokemon would you say defines each gen?
I mean obviously Gen 1 has the most options since they were the ones that took over the world, and thus the most iconic; Pikachu, Charizard and Mewtwo probably stand a little above everyone else, but Blastoise, Jigglypuff, Meowth, Eevee are also really iconic.

Gen 2 is harder; Lugia perhaps? Espeon/Umbreon because of Colosseum? Wobbuffet?

Gen 3: Blaziken

Gen 4: Lucario

Gen 5: Victini? Zoroark? Genesect? The starters?

Gen 6: Mega forms. None of which are Gen 6 Pokemon originally. Pangoro's a solid choice, but doesn't stand out much more than say...Sylveon or Hawlucha.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
This is like the only good Fighting type from Kalos.

Support plz

(Plus Pancham is adorable)

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
What Pokemon would you say defines each gen?
I mean obviously Gen 1 has the most options since they were the ones that took over the world, and thus the most iconic; Pikachu, Charizard and Mewtwo probably stand a little above everyone else, but Blastoise, Jigglypuff, Meowth, Eevee are also really iconic.

Gen 2 is harder; Lugia perhaps? Espeon/Umbreon because of Colosseum? Wobbuffet?

Gen 5: Victini? Zoroark? Genesect? The starters?

Gen 6: Mega forms. None of which are Gen 6 Pokemon originally. Pangoro's a solid choice, but doesn't stand out much more than say...Sylveon or Hawlucha.
Gen 1: Pikachu
Gen 2: This is the only one with any real debate, but its Lugia probably. Remember, Lugia got the film. Entei also got a film if I recall.
Gen 5: Zoroark (Victini and Genesect were revealed later)
Gen 6: Mega Mewtwo (He is very literally representation with X and Y forms for Pokemon X and Y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom