• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You Cannot Grasp The Full Power Of Giygas's Attack! Giygas For Super Smash Bros!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
image.jpg

Giygas is the main antagonist of the first two Earthbound games, and influenced the events of the third game.
He is an alien from another planet, who came to Earth and was raised by a human named Maria.
He eventually had to obey orders from his other aliens, and start an invasion on Earth, going against his "mother," hence the Japanese name of the series being Mother.
He was taken down by 3 humans named Ninten, Anna, and Lloyd, and he fled. He later appeared in Earthbound trying to take over the world again, but he was finally defeated by Ness, Paula, Jeff, and Poo. During Earthbound, he influenced a child name Pokey/Porkey Minch, who under the influence, later became the antagonist of Mother 3/Earthbound 2.
While people say Pokey or Claus would be a good villainous rep for Mother, I'd say it should be Giygas due to him being the MAIN antagonist.

Moveset Possibilities:
He could use PSI, the magic in Earthbound, in a variety of ways that Ness and Lucas dont already use.
Lets take a look at all the PSI attacks in Earthbound that Ness and Lucas don't already use in Smash Bros.

[Section Under Construction!]

Movesets:
[collapse=Special's only Moveset by Swamp Castle]

Giygas, Universal Cosmic Destroyer:
N-Special: PK Rockin
Uncharged, this attack launched an explosive energy sphere of average strength and speed. When Giygas begins to charge this attack, spheres of energy will begin to revolve around him. The longer the attack is charged, the more spheres will surround Giygas. He can have up to four spheres orbiting him. Using this move again will launch one of the spheres. These spheres can be launched in rapid succession, dealing huge amounts of explosive damage if they all connect. After orbiting Giygas for too long, they will begin to fade away one by one. When they are orbiting Giygas, attacks will pass right through them as if they weren’t there, but they can be cancelled after they have been launched.
(See the animation for PSI Rocking Omega, the inspiration for this attack, here)

S-Special: 4th-D Slip
This move only works if there is an enemy directly ahead of Giygas and within the attack’s range. Giygas will teleport over to the opponent, then hit them with a powerful attack that hits several times. If there is not an opponent within the attack range, the attack fails and Giygas is left very vulnerable.
(The attack is very similar to Black Mage’s Haste attack in Super Smash Flash, seen here)

U-Special: Teleport
Giygas disappears, then reappears in whichever direction you input, working very similarly to Mewtwo’s Teleport. Giygas takes slightly longer to disappear, but deals a small amount of damage when he does so.

D-Special: PSI-Magnet
Like Ness and Lucas, Giygas has access to the PSI-Magnet, which absorbs energy projectile, healing the user. Giygas’ PSI Magnet is more similar to Lucas’, being held in front of him rather than surrounding him. Unlike Lucas', it it held further away from him and deals more damage.

Final Smash: The Evil Power
Giygas becomes overwhelmed with Evil Power, resulting in a large explosion around Giygas that does massive damage to anyone within its range. All area within the attack’s radius will resemble the image seen when fighting Giygas in Earthbound:
[/collapse]

Siganture and Roster Maker Icons:
Coming Soon!

Gallery:
Pictures Coming Soon!

List of Supporters:
Mega Bidoof
SuperBrawler
SureNysinc
Mega Dunsparce
Pacack
Brawler610
MorbidAltruism
CardiganBoy
Tepig2000
Sobreviviente
Zzuxon
Pacack
Swamp Castle
The Suit-less Ace
Dreamking
I_hate_usernames
Zanzero

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was gonna make a support thread for him, but you beat me to it. I didn't because I would find it hard to see him realistically fight.

But, anyways, add me to the support list. Giygas is awesome!
I'm…h…a…p…p…y...

Morbi

Scavenger
I was gonna make a support thread for him, but you beat me to it. I didn't because I would find it hard to see him realistically fight.

But, anyways, add me to the support list. Giygas is awesome!
I'm…h…a…p…p…y...
No one beats Bidoof to making an obscure character support thread. No one. Add me to the support list!

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Giygas stage could be where you fight on a bigger version of his Spaceship or just his base in Mother 1.

Also, I think Mewzero is a fitting nickname for Giygas and is easier for people who have trouble remembering how to spell his name.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Support. Also a little correction. You said he was defeated by Ninten, Ana and Loyd, but from what I know Teddy helped too.

What about changing the title of the thread to "Ness...Ness...I Should Enter Smash Bros. And Defeat You... Gyigas For Smash!"

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Mother is the story of 3 friends who save the world, so, i think 3 is the ideal limit for mother characters, and ninten should be the third.
...but i think the mother series and the characters we already have are terrible represented, so i wouldnt really mind if this guy (or teddy) appear, so i support, it could be fun.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Typically, the idea of any more Mother characters repulses me.
But, this guy would be so cool, that I actually support.
So long as he replaces Lucas

Swamp Castle

Smash Apprentice
It's a little difficult, honestly. In his Mother and Earthbound boss battles, the attacks are just impossible to comprehend, so we're left with nothing.
Well, that doesn't mean he can't have a moveset, although it certainly doesn't help his case. I assumed that he had actual attacks in Mother, but I guess not, having just viewed a video of the boss fight. I would imagine that he would have a lot of PSI moves.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well, that doesn't mean he can't have a moveset, although it certainly doesn't help his case. I assumed that he had actual attacks in Mother, but I guess not, having just viewed a video of the boss fight. I would imagine that he would have a lot of PSI moves.
Yeah. If we're sticking to canon appearances, though, we have next to nothing. And that's not something I say often. I can normally make a moveset for anyone and make it at least fairly decent. With Giygas/Giegue, we don't have much from his boss battle AND we can't use any of the other PK moves that the playable characters can use without breaking a bit of canon (except for PK Rockin', which only he, Ness, and Ness' Nightmare can use. And that only goes so far).

Swamp Castle

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. If we're sticking to canon appearances, though, we have next to nothing. And that's not something I say often. I can normally make a moveset for anyone and make it at least fairly decent. With Giygas/Giegue, we don't have much from his boss battle AND we can't use any of the other PK moves that the playable characters can use without breaking a bit of canon (except for PK Rockin', which only he, Ness, and Ness' Nightmare can use. And that only goes so far).
You say that as if Ness and Lucas' movesets don't break canon. To my understanding, most of their specials are moves that they can't even learn in-game.

But you're right - there's next to nothing to base his moveset on. Kind of unfortunate. Although I think we all can agree on his final smash:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You say that as if Ness and Lucas' movesets don't break canon. To my understanding, most of their specials are moves that they can't even learn in-game.

But you're right - there's next to nothing to base his moveset on. Kind of unfortunate. Although I think we all can agree on his final smash:
Too true.

Well, I guess, if we're breaking canon, the first place to look is the animations for PK moves used by Ninten and his companions (moreso his companions, since Ninten doesn't fight much) in Mother. Then, if that's not enough, we'll move on to Earthbound and Ness and his companions. I'm fairly confident we could make something decent out of that. Want to collaborate on this?

Swamp Castle

Smash Apprentice
Too true.
Well, I guess, if we're breaking canon, the first place to look is the animations for PK moves used by Ninten and his companions (moreso his companions, since Ninten doesn't fight much) in Mother. Then, if that's not enough, we'll move on to Earthbound and Ness and his companions. I'm fairly confident we could make something decent out of that. Want to collaborate on this?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Giygas is a cloud (really, an entire dimension) of sentient emotion and death. He could be completely unplayable.

GEIGUE (or however it's spelled) is almost literally Mewtwo. Mewtwo's design was directly pulled from Geigue's, as a result of most GameFreak employees coming from Ape, where they made Mother. Not only is Mother the only 100% confirmed dead series in Smash, Geigue would look and play very similarly to a character that is very likely to return.

Much as I love Giygas's horribly depressing backstory, Mother is dead, and I'd rather just play as Mewtwo.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Giygas is a cloud (really, an entire dimension) of sentient emotion and death. He could be completely unplayable.

GEIGUE (or however it's spelled) is almost literally Mewtwo. Mewtwo's design was directly pulled from Geigue's, as a result of most GameFreak employees coming from Ape, where they made Mother. Not only is Mother the only 100% confirmed dead series in Smash, Geigue would look and play very similarly to a character that is very likely to return.

Much as I love Giygas's horribly depressing backstory, Mother is dead, and I'd rather just play as Mewtwo.
Honestly, he looks a lot less like Mewtwo than people seem to insinuate.

There would be no more trouble telling them apart than there is telling Jigglypuff and Kirby apart.

To be fair, truly expecting another Mother character is a little naive, but it's still fun speculating.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Jigglypuff and Kirby are both very generic shapes. They're simply round balls; not super imaginative or original.

Mewtwo's shape is extremely distinct, and, save a few details, very similar to Geigue's. For two characters to have the same curvy, fetus-like design would be extremely jarring.

However, if there were a way to make it work, I'd be all for it, for sure. Geigue is definitely one of the more original characters out there, and probably the best Mother character design and originality-wise. Maybe one of the most original characters ever.

Swamp Castle

Smash Apprentice
Too true.
Well, I got a list of all of the PSI in Mother and Earthbound. I put the ones that I think could be viable moves in bold (excluding the elemental PSI moves already claimed by Ness and Lucas).
Mother (Earthbound Zero)
Lifeup
Healing
Super-Healing
PSI-Magnet
Freeze
Fire
Beam
Thunder
Shield
Power Shield

Offense Up
Quick Up
Defense Down
Brainshock
Brain Cyclone

Hypnosis
Paralysis
Darkness
Shield Off
PSI Block

Telepathy
4th-D Slip
Teleport

Earthbound
Rockin
Flash
Starstorm

PSI-Magnet: Well, if he’s going to share any moves with Ness and Lucas, it may as well be this one. I imagine it would work in a similar way.

4th-D Slip: HOWEVER, I like the sound of this move better. Ninten’s group used this move to escape from battle. However, I think Giygas could use it as a down special that behaves like Lucario’s Double Team. Another option is to turn it into a move that teleports him straight forward to attack an enemy (sort of like a combination of Fox Illusion and Meta Knight’s Dimensional Cape). It would do a lot of damage, but it would only work if there’s an enemy within its range (straight ahead for a certain distance). Now that I think about it, I vaguely remember Black Mage having a similar move in Super Smash Flash 2. Been ages since I’ve played that.

Teleport: Extremely obvious up special.

Beam: Sounds like it could be a chargeable move, probably front or side special. It could hit through multiple opponents.

Shield Off: Shield-breaking attack, obviously. Probably not the best move material.

Brainshock / Brain Cyclone: Induced a status in-game, but sounds like it could be interpreted as a special or even a smash attack.

Darkness: Not sure how this would translate into a move … simply sounds like good material, considering who Giygas is.

Rockin: Aaand we come to this. As much as I would want him to use this, the fact that Ness DOESN’T use this move puts me on edge about making this an attack for Giygas. Seriously, why don’t Ness and Lucas have Rockin and Love?

For his specials, I say:

Front Special: PK Beam
Side Special: 4th-D Slip
Up Special: Teleport
Down Special: PSI-Magnet (unless we can come up with something from Brainshock or another attack)
Final Smash: No name yet, but Giygas takes on his form from Earthbound's final boss battle and attacks in some way. I'll have to work on that.

Giygas needs some other special quality to him. I'll see what I can think of.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I think his Mother 2 incarnation would make a great assist trophy

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Jigglypuff and Kirby are both very generic shapes. They're simply round balls; not super imaginative or original.

Mewtwo's shape is extremely distinct, and, save a few details, very similar to Geigue's. For two characters to have the same curvy, fetus-like design would be extremely jarring.

However, if there were a way to make it work, I'd be all for it, for sure. Geigue is definitely one of the more original characters out there, and probably the best Mother character design and originality-wise. Maybe one of the most original characters ever.
Giegue would be more thin than Mewtwo, for one thing. Mewtwo also has the advantage of having a huge purple tail that differentiates him from Giegue color-wise. It really wouldn't be difficult to make them visually different. I still think that, if done right, it would end up like Kirby and Jigglypuff.
Well, I got a list of all of the PSI in Mother and Earthbound. I put the ones that I think could be viable moves in bold (excluding the elemental PSI moves already claimed by Ness and Lucas).
Mother (Earthbound Zero)
Lifeup
Healing
Super-Healing
PSI-Magnet
Freeze
Fire
Beam
Thunder
Shield
Power Shield

Offense Up
Quick Up
Defense Down
Brainshock
Brain Cyclone

Hypnosis
Paralysis
Darkness
Shield Off
PSI Block

Telepathy
4th-D Slip
Teleport

Earthbound
Rockin
Flash
Starstorm

PSI-Magnet: Well, if he’s going to share any moves with Ness and Lucas, it may as well be this one. I imagine it would work in a similar way.

4th-D Slip: HOWEVER, I like the sound of this move better. Ninten’s group used this move to escape from battle. However, I think Giygas could use it as a down special that behaves like Lucario’s Double Team. Another option is to turn it into a move that teleports him straight forward to attack an enemy (sort of like a combination of Fox Illusion and Meta Knight’s Dimensional Cape). It would do a lot of damage, but it would only work if there’s an enemy within its range (straight ahead for a certain distance). Now that I think about it, I vaguely remember Black Mage having a similar move in Super Smash Flash 2. Been ages since I’ve played that.

Teleport: Extremely obvious up special.

Beam: Sounds like it could be a chargeable move, probably front or side special. It could hit through multiple opponents.

Shield Off: Shield-breaking attack, obviously. Probably not the best move material.

Brainshock / Brain Cyclone: Induced a status in-game, but sounds like it could be interpreted as a special or even a smash attack.

Darkness: Not sure how this would translate into a move … simply sounds like good material, considering who Giygas is.

Rockin: Aaand we come to this. As much as I would want him to use this, the fact that Ness DOESN’T use this move puts me on edge about making this an attack for Giygas. Seriously, why don’t Ness and Lucas have Rockin and Love?

For his specials, I say:

Front Special: PK Beam
Side Special: 4th-D Slip
Up Special: Teleport
Down Special: PSI-Magnet (unless we can come up with something from Brainshock or another attack)
Final Smash: No name yet, but Giygas takes on his form from Earthbound's final boss battle and attacks in some way. I'll have to work on that.

Giygas needs some other special quality to him. I'll see what I can think of.
I think we should definitely use Rockin' in some way.

Honestly, you seem to be more of an Earthbound enthusiast than I ever thought to be. I've never actually played the games, myself. I've just read a lot and seen some videos. In a bit, though (no promises how soon, as I'm a bit busy with other movesets right now), I'll look at the animations for the moves and see what looks useful.

Also, there are some who think that Lucas is primarily fighting with PK Love. The shape of his moves just look kinda inspired by the animation (see down smash, up smash, aerials, etc.).

Swamp Castle

Smash Apprentice
I think we should definitely use Rockin' in some way.

Honestly, you seem to be more of an Earthbound enthusiast than I ever thought to be. I've never actually played the games, myself. I've just read a lot and seen some videos. In a bit, though (no promises how soon, as I'm a bit busy with other movesets right now), I'll look at the animations for the moves and see what looks useful.

Also, there are some who think that Lucas is primarily fighting with PK Love. The shape of his moves just look kinda inspired by the animation (see down smash, up smash, aerials, etc.).
Thanks, but I've never actually played a mother game in my life. Haven't even watched a LP. Hence me not knowing anything about what PK Love actually does or looks like. The only thing I noticed was that his up smash looks like him pulling out the needle.

I took a look at the animations for PSI Rockin, and I thought of a way it could be used as Giygas' front special. Still some stuff I need to work around, though. I'll post it later.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Thanks, but I've never actually played a mother game in my life. Haven't even watched a LP. Hence me not knowing anything about what PK Love actually does or looks like. The only thing I noticed was that his up smash looks like him pulling out the needle.

I took a look at the animations for PSI Rockin, and I thought of a way it could be used as Giygas' front special. Still some stuff I need to work around, though. I'll post it later.
I look forward to it.

Swamp Castle

Smash Apprentice
I look forward to it.
Here you are, sir:

Uncharged, this attack launched an explosive energy sphere of average strength and speed. When Giygas begins to charge this attack, spheres of energy will begin to revolve around him. The longer the attack is charged, the more spheres will surround Giygas. He can have up to four spheres orbiting him. Using this move again will launch one of the spheres. These spheres can be launched in rapid succession, dealing huge amounts of explosive damage if they all connect. After orbiting Giygas for too long, they will begin to fade away one by one. When they are orbiting Giygas, attacks will pass right through them as if they weren’t there, but they can be cancelled after they have been launched.
(See the animation for PSI Rocking Omega, the inspiration for this attack, here)

This move only works if there is an enemy directly ahead of Giygas and within the attack’s range. Giygas will teleport over to the opponent, then hit them with a powerful attack that hits several times. If there is not an opponent within the attack range, the attack fails and Giygas is left very vulnerable.
(The attack is very similar to Black Mage’s Haste attack in Super Smash Flash, seen here)

Giygas disappears, then reappears in whichever direction you input, working very similarly to Mewtwo’s Teleport. Giygas takes slightly longer to disappear, but deals a small amount of damage when he does so.

Like Ness and Lucas, Giygas has access to the PSI-Magnet, which absorbs energy projectile, healing the user. Giygas’ PSI Magnet is more similar to Lucas’, being held in front of him rather than surrounding him. Unlike Lucas', it it held further away from him and deals more damage.

Giygas becomes overwhelmed with Evil Power, resulting in a large explosion around Giygas that does massive damage to anyone within its range. All area within the attack’s radius will resemble the image seen when fighting Giygas in Earthbound:

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Here you are, sir:

Like Ness and Lucas, Giygas has access to the PSI-Magnet, which absorbs energy projectile, healing the user. Giygas’ PSI Magnet is more similar to Lucas’, being held in front of him rather than surrounding him.

Maybe his PSI Magnet could be far farther in front of him and could do damage like Lucas', knocking opponents outward. It would be useful for keeping opponents from approaching.

For his A moves, how about using energy similar to PSI Rockin sort of like how Lucas uses his attacks. For example, His up air could make him focus, close his eyes, and making some of the energy appear above him, knocking opponents away.

Also, I imagine Giegue/Giygas would be extremely light and medium sized, so he would rely on projectiles and spacing to keep his opponents at bay.

Swamp Castle

Smash Apprentice
Maybe his PSI Magnet could be far farther in front of him and could do damage like Lucas', knocking opponents outward. It would be useful for keeping opponents from approaching.

For his A moves, how about using energy similar to PSI Rockin sort of like how Lucas uses his attacks. For example, His up air could make him focus, close his eyes, and making some of the energy appear above him, knocking opponents away.

Also, I imagine Giegue/Giygas would be extremely light and medium sized, so he would rely on projectiles and spacing to keep his opponents at bay.
Agree on the size, weight, and the PSI magnet. I'll edit that part in. Also like that attack idea, although it sounds more like a smash attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom