• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Endless Ocean Series Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Endless Ocean Series Discussion
What is Endless Ocean?
The Endless Ocean series was developed by Arkia who also made Street Fighter EX. Arika has also recently developed the 3D Classics for the 3DS. Endless Ocean came out in 2007, followed by a sequel, Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep (Known as Endless Ocean: Blue World in America) The series has sold about 2 million copies worldwide, so it is not hard to imagine some content of the series in Super Smash Brothers for Wii U/3DS.
What could that said content be you ask?
The most likely case for Endless Ocean representation, is in stages. The Endless Ocean series has a variety of interesting locations, which could make for good stages. I will share a few on this post. The series also might offer some of it's music which I shall share soon. Also in the small chance we get a character, I have posted a moveset for the Scuba Diver.
Moveset for Scuba Diver
Neutral Special - Camera Flash - Snaps a quick picture, and dose small damage and stuns the foe for half a second.
Side Special - Dolphin Call - Blows on the whistle, calling his Dolphin partner. The dolphin jumps up and down, damaging any fighters in it's way.
Up Special - Blowhole - Blows on whistle, but this time summons a whale to appear on the bottom stage and the whale blows out a stream of water pushing the diver up into the air. The blow of water also damages any fighters in the way.
Down Special - Marine Encyclopedia - Pulls out the Marine Encyclopedia and reads a random page.
This can either summon a Shark, Penguin or a Reef Fish. (Shark dose 8% damage, and is the rarest, Penguin is moderate in rarity and dose 4% damage, and Reef Fish is the most common and dose 2% damage)
Final Smash - Ancient Mother - The Scuba Diver blows on the whistle, and the Ancient Mother (A giant white whale) jumps from below the stage and falls back down. It dose heavy damage from falling and jumping. (Final Smash is similar to Snorlax)

Stages
The Endless Ocean series has a variety of good locations for a stage in Super Smash Brothers. Here are a few I believe would be good choices. (Since a Endless Ocean stage is likely to be aquatic, I think it would be similar to a regular stage, but the water only being a factor in fire moves are less powerful, water attacks are more powerful, and all non-blue Pikmin die. )
The Gabbiano
The Gabbiano is the basic location of Endless Ocean, and it is where you meet Katherine Sunday and contains your ships cabin, a dolphin training dock and Penguins, Seals and other semi-aquatic animals can often be found on it's deck. I imagine this stage would be the back of the boat to the frontish and would be balanced. I think if Sakurai wanted to, he could add a stage hazard like a Polar Bear, Seal, Penguin or even Crocidile to make the stage more chaotic.
Marige Atoll
Blank - Copy.png
As it's name implies, this stage is the ruins of a unknown civilization, and many unique fish live here. In order to access these ruins, you have to ride a whale shark, because mysterious currents pull you back. (Sorry for bad in-game picture, but I could not find a better one and also the bottom image is how I imagine it in Smash, and yes I put this together in like five minutes) The whale sharks are a important part of these ruins and they could be a stage hazard or the currents of the ruins could be a hazard aswell.
Nineball Island
This is the main location of L&L (Or R&R) Diving Service, which consists of your character, Oceana Lovier, Jean-Eric Lovier, GG and Hayako Sakurai. This is your main base and has a dock for your boat, a small table for books and serveral other services. I can imagine this as a balanced stage with no hazards.
Cortica River
This is the second to last area in Endless Ocean: Blue World and is located in South America. It is home to many freshwater creatures, including Caimans, Arapaima , Piranhas and Catfish. Unlike the open ocean environment of the majority of areas in the series, this is not very wide and in the Smash context would be the size of Battlefield. I imagine Sakurai (Creator of Smash, not the scientist in Endless Ocean) could either make this a stage like Delfino Plaza, where you travel to various areas or focus on one point in the river. This stage could have Caimans or Piranhas as a hazard.
Music
The Endless Oceans series is known for music, and there are a variety of choices. Endless Ocean featured music from the singer Hayley Westenra and included several of her songs including "Prayer", "The Water is Wide" and "Amazing Grace". Endless Ocean: Blue World did not feature her songs, and had it's own music. Endless Ocean is one of the few Wii games to have the ability to import songs from a SD Card, and play them ingame. I myself have done this several times (However, I don't think "We are the Champions" we appear in Smash) Here are some music choices that could appear
(I don't know if Endless Ocean 1's music could appear as it might not be owned by Arkia or Nintendo, but I put it anyways.)
That's all the possible representation I can think of for the Endless Ocean series. (I do have more stage ideas, but those are the most interesting)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
You beat me to it! I had written up a move set and support thread draft for an Endless Ocean rep. Ill post my move set up later!

Great OP by the way!

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Oooh boy, I'm glad you made this thread as I actually have a moveset that I wrote some time ago, just to get some visualizations going or whatever. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Suba Diver, although I do think it would be a dark horse pick more then anything (but it would have some WTFness). However, a stage would be amazing.

Here's the moveset.

I could envision the Diver being a summoner-like fighter, summoning sea creatures to aid him. It would also be cool for him to have a weird or floaty “feel” (kinda like Yoshi), I guess as a way to simulate a little bit of water physics. Most of the standard moves revolves around suba diving and swimming techniques (I don't think it's too much of a stretch if the Diver know some advance swimming techniques). Uh, yeah, it's kinda quirky/comical on purpose, though

Standard moves

Jab: Punch > Flipper kick (left foot) > Flipper kick (right foot)
F-tilt: Takes off oxygen tank and swings it forward
D-tilt: Fast butterfly, moving a bit forward in the process
U-tilt: Swings a fish in an upwards arch

Dash attack: Jumps a little, puts arms in a diving position, then dives, sliding across the ground on stomach. Good distance + speed
Crawl: Gets down low (like Snake) and does the freestyle stroke (aka front crawl) for forward movement (yes, he basically swims on land). Backward movement: backwards freestyle (it's a possible technique!)

Aerials

N-air: Diagonal powerful breaststroke, stretching out both arms and legs, damaging opponents on either side
F-air: Swings oxygen tank twice, for two hits
D-air: Vigorous flutter kick with flippers, having multiple hits
U-air: Upwards breaststroke arm movement
B-air: Powerful frog kick with flippers

Throws

Grab attack: Slaps
Up throw: Swings opponent once, then flings them upward
Down throw: Thrusts opponent to the ground, doing a couple of [powerful] chest compressions (as if he's trying to save the opponent from suffocation)
Forward throw: Uses snorkel tube to blow a burst of bubbles in opponents face = knockback
Back throw: Swings opponent around + flipper kick

Specials

B -- Bubble Blowing Baby: Takes out snorkel tube and blows in it, creating a burst of multiple, slow moving bubbles, which disappear. The bubbles slowly spread out as well.

Side B -- Ecco Location: Summons a dolphin in the direction faced. The dolphin cries, shooting out a fast sonar wave. This move is fairly weak, however, it can pass through multiple opponents. This move can be slightly aimed up or down, as well as it being chargeable.

Fully charged: The wave hitbox becomes larger and more powerful. It also paralyzes opponents if hit (yes, this means that if the move goes through multiple opponents, all opponents hit will become paralyzed).

I know this is not how echolocation works irl. So to try to make the move a little bit more realistic, another idea: have the wave bounce back to the Diver if successfully hit (so no going through multiple opponents). From there, the wave bounces back at whatever angle the move originally hit the opponent at, and if the wave hits the Diver, a reasonable amount of damaged is healed (or some other effect). However, opponents can interfere with the wave, even if it’s on the way back to the Diver.

Up B -- Cowabunga, dude!: Jumps on a surfboard and rides on a school of tropical fish (which take the form of a wave). Opponents caught in the wave take multiple hits. The move can be slightly aimed at any angle, aching in the process.

Down B -- Bait and Switch: Fish bait is tossed in the direction faced and can be aimed at any angle. If hit, the opponent takes multiple damage from a bunch of swordfish that randomly appear, slashing and swarming the opponent. In addition, the bait can be placed on the ground with the right input. This can act as a trap, activating only if opponents touch the bait. However, only one fish bait can be placed at a time. There is also a chance that instead of swordfish, a shark will appear; the shark’s attack is a strong head bash with high vertical knockback.

Final Smash -- Kraken: Summons the legendary squid-like monster, Kraken. The monster jumps into the background, creating huge whirlpools on the stage, which can suck opponents in, dealing multiple damage. Kraken can also grab opponents and throw them around if they get too close to it.

Anyway, I think an EO stage would be pretty atmospheric; the atmosphere could be relaxing or intense depending on the location and music playing. A good thing about an Endless Ocean stage: seeing cameo appearances of water creatures from various franchises (kinda how like in Summit we have that fish from Balloon Fight who's a stage hazard) wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
For example, popular enemies from Super Mario like
and
(well, except in 3D) could appear at times. Eh, just some ideas.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think we're gonna get a character but DANG!!!

Game looks pretty fun. I may have to give it a go.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Same here; could see myself checking out this game sometime too. Don't think a generic scuba diver would get a character spot in Smash either, but any stage from this series would be such a privilege.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
im sure the diver would make a very interesting character, and the stage potentiol looks great

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As long as we can get the Haley Westrana soundtrack I'm sold.

And on a personal note, I prefer the Japanese title: Forever Blue.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Thanks for the support. @CrophMaruMariolu2W0vol41PEeeeeek, your moveset is appreciated. I was also thinking for some stages, Aquarium and Abyss. Both locations have been found both games, and could be very interesting stages. Also what is the command for Spoilers on these forums?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here is a move set I wrote up a while back:

Diver

Special B
Neutral B - Pulsar
The Diver will pull out the Pulsar which fires a shock of electricity at a short-distance. Holding down will charge the the shot, thus causing the shot to travel further. Once it makes contact, it will damage the player for 8% damage and paralyze the opponent, much like Zero Suit Samus' Neutral B. If performed in the air, it will momentarily shock the opponent for 5 seconds but keep them suspended in mid-air. It has a slight start up and ending lag as the Diver pulls out/puts back the Pulsar.

Side B - Sea Whistle
The Diver will blow the Sea Whistle and one out of five creatures will come to his aid:

The Dolphin
The Dolphin will jump from the Diver, arch in the air and then fall downwards; vanishing 3 seconds after arching downward. It has a short-to-medium reach but due to the quickness of the attack; it is hard to pinpoint where the dolphin will go. Once the dolphin finishes, it will vanish. The Dolphin does 15% damage total and vertical knock back. The Dolphin can be damaged by a semi-charged Smash attack. When it is damaged, it will vanish. To assure players and PETA, the Diver comments "It`s ok buddy. You can take a rest."

The Great White Shark
The Great White Shark is one of the most powerful predators in the sea. When summoned, it will swim straight forward and snap its jaws at the closest opponent. This does the most damage; dealing 23% damage and high vertical knock back if the bite connects. It is slower than the Dolphin though but stronger than the Dolphin and takes a couple of hits to cause it to vanish. However, it has good priority so landing several strong hits on the Great White is extremely hard. The move has a start up and ending lag.

The Squid
The Squid will appear and release a spray for ink. This ink does not do any damage but it can obscure the area where it was released. The area is about the size of a fully exploded Smart Bomb. This allows for some strategy and traps. The ink cloud lasts for around 12 seconds. The move suffers from a slight start up lag.

The Narwhal
The Narwhal will quickly from the Driver and thrusts its pointed tusk forward. It has a great stabbing effect and a great shield poke. It is also the quickest sea creature in the move set. It does around 17% damage and vertical knock back.

The Electric Eel
The Diver summons the electric eel. It will perform an electric shock that does 12% damage plus a electricity attack. It lasts for 8 seconds and does vertical knock back. The only draw back is that when it performs the electric shock, it knocks the opponent up and doesn't hitstun.

Up B - Diving Leap
The Diver will spring up fairly high, about ten Mario bodies, arch his body, and dive back down again. It has two hit frames; the ascent and descent. It has a decent vertical and horizontal traveling distance but the descent can cause suicide because it cannot be canceled after the final arch. Pressing B at the top most point will cause the Diver to cancel but enter into a free fall state. If not canceled, the Diver will plummet into he reaches a solid ground in which he will land and spring back up into his fighting position. The initial dive up only does 6% while the dive down does 15% damage. The upwards does vertical knock back while the descent hit can actually spike an opponent.

Down B - Ancient Treasure
The Diver pulls out an empty treasure chest that looks ancient with strange markings. Since the Diver is a well known ancient language linguist and researcher, he is able to use this treasure chest. It has special, magical properties. It is able to catch energy-type attacks such as Mario's Fireball, Samus' charge shot, and Fox's lasers. Once the treasure chest accumulates enough energy, it will begin to sparkle. The Diver can then take the treasure chest, open it, and heave out its contents. The energy has been transformed to golden coins and bars. They spill onto the stage, dealing around 20-30% damage and can also be picked up and thrown for 3-5% additional damage. When the player inputs Down B, the Diver will pull out the treasure chest and open it; capturing the energy within. It has a slight shockwave effect. Other players can pull out the sunken treasure that was spilled out and toss it around.

Nuetral A: Flipper Flap
The Diver will do a quick kick; slapping the opponent with his flipper. It is a quick neutral A that does 4% damage and has little start up or ending lag.
Nuetral A (2nd): Flipper Flap
The Diver will follow up by a slower but stronger Flipper Flap that does 8% damage and horizontal knock back. It has a long ending lag.

Dash: Running Dive
The Diver will run forward, crouch swiftly, and dive forward as if diving into the water. It does around 6% damage with vertical knock back. It has some ending lag as the Diver stands back up but little start up lag. It has a great distance and has a good amount of speed to it.

F-Tilt: Breaststroke
The Diver will lean forward slightly, stand on one leg, and press his arms out as if doing a breaststroke. It can hit twice, once where the Diver thrusts his arms forward and then spreads them out while doing the stroke. It hits first at 4% with hitstun and then again for 6% damage for horizontal knock back. It is a very quick f-tilt and does a good amount of damage,
U-Tilt: Butterfly Stroke
The Diver will stand up straight and pretend to do a butterfly stroke as if swimming upwards. It only does one hit but has a wide range of hit. It does 10% damage and has above average vertical knock back. It is a rather long attack that suffers from some start up/ending lag.
D-Tilt: Enter the Water
The Diver will slightly crouch, plans his hands on the ground, and push his legs forward as if entering into the water from a boat. It has a long reach and can even spike opponents who are hanging from a ledge. In addition, performing the attack on the ledge will actually cause the Diver to jump down and grab the ledge. It does 11% damage and vertical knock back unless performed on an opponent who is grabbing a ledge.

Smash Attacks:

F-Smash: Front Crawl
The Diver will step back and then lunge forward into a hyper front crawl. He paddles extremely fast forward; bringing his arms back and forth. Like all Smash attacks, it can be charged. It does 2 full crawls uncharged and 4 full crawls. It hits four times at 16% damage uncharged and hits 8 times at 24% damage charged. The last hit always does the most amount of vertical knock back. It has good priority and can cancel out several weaker attacks. In addition, the disjointed hit boxes help this attack a lot.

U-Smash: Giant Clam
The Diver pulls out a giant clam and thrusts it up, snapping the opponent. After the attack, he pats it nicely and puts it away. He is nice to animals. The attack suffers from start up and ending lag but it does above average vertical knock back. It has three hit boxes: the moment the clam starts to close its mouth, the mid portion, and the final slam. The first does 12-20%, 8-16%, and 18-25%. It is a fairly weak smash attack that suffers from lag but it's numerous hit boxes and high vertical knock back helps the attack a bit.

D-Smash: Water Whirl
The Diver slightly kneels down and, jumps up slightly, pushing himself into a full circle as if evading a shark or turning a corner in the water. He performs one full circle and then straightens himself back out. It is a quick Smash attack that does not have much lag during its attack. It is also helpful because it hits on all sides. The attack is fairly unique since it appears the Diver is swimming in midair. It does between 20-27% damage and vertical knock back.

Aerials

N-air: Dead Man's Float
The Diver will lie out flat, stretched fingers to toes and continue the trajectory of the jump. The attack lasts for 5 seconds with 3 seconds of start up and ending frames. It suffers from a bad landing lag if short hopped. It does around 12% damage and horizontal knock back. It also makes the Diver an entire hit box thus maximizing the area of damage. In addition, it the player hits the opponent at the tip of the fingers or toes, it can be sweetspotted with high knock back and 18% damage.

F-Air: Frontwards Roll
Much like the down smash, the Diver will tuck and roll in front of him hitting up to three times with the back, knees, and legs. It does 3% damage for each hit thus doing 9% damage. It is a very weak move with low knock back but it can help the Diver travel a good distance since it momentarily slows his falling speed. It has zero start up, ending,, or landing lag.

U-Air: I'm ALIVE!
The Diver thrusts his single arm high into the air as if telling those above the waves he is alive. It does 5% damage sourspotted but 10% damage if sweetpsotted with more vertical knock back. It continues to keep the hand raised for 7 seconds as he descents with adds an addition 3% damage with no chance to sweetspotted in an opponent connects with it. As he makes his descent, he counts down from 5....4....3....2...1...0. This is a homage to old cartoons where characters would count to 5 before drowning. He of course does not drown.

D-Air: Straight Dive
The Diver turns in mid-air, pivots down, and speeds downward with a quick kick of his flippers. He heads straight downwards at a slight slant with his hands pointed forward. It does 14% damage and can meteor strike an opponent. However, much like his Up B, he can kill himself by diving down if off the stage.

Other

Ledge Attack: Pulling Leap
The Diver will pull himself over the ledge quickly and dives forward; a little bit like his Dashing move. It does 4% damage. A quick leap.
100% Ledge Attack: Sliding Leap
The Diver slower pulls himself and then pushes himself over the ledge; kicking the opponent in the process. it appears as if he is climbing back onto the boat.
Floor Attack; Sand Sweeper
The Diver will turn to one side, swipe his hand along the ground and quickly turn to the other side, repeating it. It does 5% damage on both sides. A somewhat longer floor attack but efficient.

Throws
Grab
Pummel: Head Pat
The Diver will pat the head and rub it quickly; as if patting a sea creature. It does 2% damage.

F-Throw: Underwater Roll
The Diver will grab the player, spin in a circle somewhat slowly and then launch the player forward; dealing around 6% damage and horizontal knock back.

U-Throw: Cast Off
The Diver will grab the player and throw them high into the air; almost as if to save them from drowning. The opponent is launched high into the air. It does around 5% damage.

B-Throw: Man Overboard
The Diver grabs the player by the neck and the back area, and heaves them backward as if throwing off a enemy from the ship. the player is launched horizontally. It does 8% damage and is the most damaging throw.

D-Throw: Sunken Treasure
The Diver will grab the opponent and slam them into the ground; burying them into it. It doesn't do any damage but does a Pitfall-like burying effect for 5 seconds.

Final Smash: Endless Ocean
The Diver says "There's a wave coming in!" Suddenly, the stage becomes flooded with water and transforms into a underwater reef paradise. The Diver blows his Sea Whistle and, instead of a single aquatic creature, a horde of them appears. In total, 20 animals can appear. They all do different damages depending on the size. Larger ones appear less often and may not even appear at all.
SMALL - Does 2%
Clownfish
Angelfish
Blowfish
Barracuda
Squid
Jellyfish

MEDIUM - Does 4%
Pacific Octopus
Bluefin Tuna
Swordfish
Napoleon fish

LARGE - Does 6%
Great White Shark
Dolphin
Porpoise
Tiger Shark
Sea Turtle
Narwhal

HUGE - Does 9%
Whale Shark
Sperm Whale
Giant Squid
Humpback Whale

The aquatic creatures appears either from the left or right; swimming across the stage and ramming into opponents. They do both horizontal or vertical knock back to everyone on the screen. The underwater effect greatly slows down the opponents movements but they can still freely swim around - albeit slowly and dully.

The Final Smash lasts around 14 seconds and, when finished, the screen fades to white and then returns back to the original stage.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I would want to be added to the support list, these games if at least don't have a playable character in Smash at least this series deserve a stage and even an Assist Trophy.
.n_n.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I hope they get a few trophies but what of? The original animals or the crew?

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
As far as trophies go, I can imagine a combo of both. I don't know if Sakurai would go for the real life animals, but it's not like anyone owns the right to use a Penguin. I see more of the crew members as being trophies. Likely it will be treated much how Chibi-Robo, Golden Sun and other small franchises and only get one or two trophies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if Nintendo has the rights to the series or if it was just a third party exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom