• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matthew, the hero of Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, rises to SSB4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
"..."
- Matthew, Golden Sun Dark Dawn

[collapse=other art]

[/collapse]
Overview:
Matthew is the son of Isaac and Jenna two protagonists of the GBA games Golden Sun and Golden Sun. He is the main hero of the series' most recent game, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, a Camelot developed RPG for 3DS. Much like his father, he works to save the land of Weyard. These characters exist in a world of alchemy and adepts, psyenergy users who can use psyenergy (magic) to fight monsters with different elements, or to move objects for every day life. There also elemental entities known as Djinn that can be equipped to unlock different Psyenergy, classes, stats, and summons. By putting a Djinn on standby, Matthew loses stats but gains stronger summons. As a Venus adept, he mainly uses earth psyenergy to fight his enemies.

Who is Matthew?
Matthew is the main protagonist of Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Taking place 30 years after the original games, the alchemy released in the form of the Golden Sun, revived Weyard and prevented the land's decline. The Golden Sun brought new species, shifted continents, and Psyenergy vortexes, which are sapping the land and adepts of their power. Matthew investigates this phenomenon along with his Tyrell and Karis, and they meet five other heroes along the way. Many of these heroes are descendents of the protagonists or characters in the GBA games.

There are four elements in the games:
Earth - Venus Djinn
Fire - Mars Djinn
Wind - Jupiter Djinn
Water - Mercury Djinn

Playstyle:
With the different ways to fight in Golden Sun there are many conceivable ways for Matthew to fight. He could focus on sword play. He could also use a combination of weapons, including the longswords, axes, maces, and rapiers. His style could combine sword fighting with powerful psyenergy. The djinn could also be uses in attacks or as a power up based system. In the games, just because Matthew is a Venus adept does mean he is limited to psyenegy djinn. Finally, the summons could be used as a final Smash, along with Matthew's strongest Psyenergy attacks

The moveset I will be proposing will use a combination of all these elements. They even include GBA only psyenergy. His A attacks mainly consist of sword (with a rapier) strikes, while his specials, smashes, and certain other moves utilize psyenergy and even djinn. He is dynamic power up based character with sniper like properties.

Standard moves:
Specials: Djinn and Attack Psyenergy
[collapse= Jaytalks]
Neutral: Djinn Equip
Matthew uses a Djinn and cycles between one of four Djinn. At the start of battle, Matthew will start with a Venus Djinn, and then cycle to Mars, then Jupiter, then Mercury. Each Djinn will give Matthew different properties while fighting:
Venus Djinn (Flint) makes Matthew slightly harder to knock off the stage, and gives him Spire and Gaia.
Mars Djinn (Torch) makes his attacks slightly stronger with knock out, and gives him Fireball and Planet Diver.
Jupiter Djinn (Swift) makes Matthew have a slightly greater jump and makes him more floaty, and give him Astral Blast and Gale.
Mercury (Chill) makes his attacks do slightly more damage gives him Cutting Edge and Froth Sphere.
You cannot cancel a djinn equip. If an opponent hits you before the equip is completed, you have to use the move again in order to switch.

Forward: Psyenergy Strike
Depending on what Djinn is equipped, Matthew will use the corresponding Psyenergy. His default Djinn is Venus.
Venus Psyenergy: Spire - Rocks appear in front of Matthew and fall down, striking his opponents. This move does the most damage out of the four.
Mars Psyenergy: Fireball - Matthew shoots a fire ball out of his hand. It exploded upon impact and has the most range, as it can go across the entire stage.
Jupiter Psyenergy: Astral Blast - Matthew shoots stars in front of him. Has the most knock back.
Mercury Psyenergy: Cutting Edge - Matthew shoots water blades that strike his opponent. The fastest out of the four.

Up: Psyenergy Recovery
Venus Psyenergy: Gaia
Matthew unleashes a rising of rocks below him. He rides one of the rocks for recovery.
Mars Psyenergy: Planet Diver
Matthew jumps into the air with fire energy, and crashes to the ground at a 45 degree angle.
Jupiter Psyenergy: Gale
Matthew unleashes a tornado underneath himself, and ride the tornado for safety.
Mercury Psyenergy: Froth Sphere
Matthew unleashes a Froth Sphere around him, giving him a boost and damaging opponent around him.

Down: Djinn Strike:
Venus: Flint. Matthew uses a cleaving Earth strike that has knockout power. His most powerful non-smash attack.
Mars Djinn: Torch. Matthew uses a fire blast.
Jupiter Djinn. Swift. Matthew unleashes the fastest attack in the game. It doesn't have knock out, but it is faster than any other move.
Mercury: Chill. The djinn strikes the opponent and they must be facing the Djinn. Tf this move is used successful, the opponent is put in a short stunned state. It can knock out opponents who are dizzy due to stunned shield.
[/collapse]

[collapse=rest of his moveset]
A-A-A: Slash: Matthew hits with first a horizontal strike from left to right. The second strike is from right to left. The final is a vertical strike from low to high
A-up: High Slash: Matthew does a slash above him.
A-forward: Move: Quickly sheathing his sword. Matthew raises up his right hand and creates a large hand that damages opponents.
A-down: Low Slash: Matthew does a low vertical strike while crouching
A-running: Running Stab: Matthew does a running stab that hits the mid section

Smash attacks: Utility Psyenergy.
F-smash: Force: Matthews creates a fist that smashes his opponents in front of him.
D-smash: Growth: Matthew puts away his sword and lowers his hands. Vines appear below him to his left and right, and rise to about Matthew's crouched height.
U-smash: Slap: Matthew creates a large hand above him and it slaps opponent in the air above him.

Aerials
Nair: Matthew does a vertical slash from high to low
Fair: Matthew does a vertical slash from low to high
Dair: Matthew strike below himself with a downward slash
Bair: Matthew does a turning strike.

Grabs
Grab: Grip: Matthew grabs the opponent with the Psyenergy hand.
Grab+A: Tremor: Shakes the opponent while grabbing them.
Grab+up: Throw the opponent in the air
Grab+down: Pound: Throws the opponent on the ground, and makes a fist. he hits the opponents with the lower part of the fist.
Grab+forward: Throws the opponent in front of him.
Grab+back: Throws the opponent behind him.
[/collapse]

Final Smash:
Sol Blade
Using his most powerful sword, the Sol Blade, Matthew unleashes Megiddo. A giant meteor crashes down his opponents, annihilating them.
or
Chrystallux
Matthew unleashes Chrystallux, who is chandelier dragon summon. There is a short cutscene where Chrystallux emerges. Then beams of light rain down on the opponents. Afterward, wherever Matthew was standing, a light emerges from the ground and annihilates opponent in front of him.
or
Judgement
Matthew unleashed judgement. This angel like harbinger of doom shoots a blast out of lion cannon. This knocks out anyone at the direct middle of the stage, or wherever Matthew summoned him.

Virtually any Isaac moveset could apply to Matthew. But only Matthew has the Chrystallux summon.

Assist Trophy:
Personally I would prefer Sveta as an assist trophy. She would run on stage and pummel the summoner's opponent with a flurry of kicks and punches. She would finish them off with a Hurricane psyenergy, not killing opponents but throwing them to a different part of the stage. Additionally, Hurricane would fling all items to different parts of the stage as well.
AgatioGanon had a good idea to use Arcanus, considering he appears in all the games. This would work for me as well. He could use some type of water psyenergy.

Stage:
Either Apollo Sanctum or Eclipse Tower would be good choices. This would be my spin on Eclipse Tower. It would be a large stage, with a clear bottom area. The top would be outside the tower, while the middle would be stairs. The bottom would be a town like area. Once per playthrough, the Grave Eclipse event will occur. Monster will appear at the bottom of the stage and it will get a purple fog. The eclipse would end after 15 seconds.

Music:
Awesome Dark Dawn music:
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn Battle Theme
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn Boss Battle
Chaos Chimera
Ascend to Destiny
Under The Eclipse
Apollo Sanctum

What are his chances?
The chances for a Golden Sun rep are relatively good compared to other series. The series is fairly well known and sells well, even it's lowest selling entry, Dark Dawn, sold 670,000 units. Matthew's chances are lower than Isaac due to his iconic status and visibility, but the edge Matthew has is because of Camelot's possible influence. It is well known that Sakurai consults the development team of series he's thinking about including. He's done it for FE and Pokemon. If he were to consult them, they could suggest Matthew. Considering if there is a next game, it will star Matthew. Additionally, Camelot has hinted that Matthew's story is the real story of Golden Sun.

Arguments for Matthew!
Why should Golden Sun get a rep?
Golden Sun is a strong RPG series that his been released both on the GBA and DS. With total sales of around 2.7 million units overall, this is one of Nintendo's best selling series to not currently have representation. With the combination of Psyenergy and a sword, Matthew could add a unique moveset to the roster.

Isaac is more likely than Matthew. Matthew has no chance!
Generally, Smash reflects the previous video game generation in representation and stages. The Zelda series is the best example of this. Melee had touches of OoT all over it, with all Zelda reps reflecting OoT, and Termina Bay showcasing MM. Brawl had both WW and TP strongly represented, with its stages, and representatives. Wii U has both TP and SS (remember, TP was a Wii Launch title). The 3DS has OoT and ST.

With that in mind, it's reasonable that GS would be represented by DD in its character. Has this ever happened before though? The first hero in a generational series not being repped and picked over another hero from another generation. Yes, it happened with the N64 with Ness getting in over Ninten. Remember, 64 was intended to be only for Japan, so Japan only status wouldn't matter.

But Isaac is more well known to Smash Players as an AT?
Yeah, I generally don't buy that for a few reasons. First of all, Isaac did not beat out Matthew as a rep. Matthew didn't exist yet. So it's a different situation than AT's like Waluigi and Lyn. Secondly, we apply the AT boost separately by characters and series. AT status doesn't help Samurai Gorohm Devil, and Knuckle Joe as much as it helps Isaac. I have yet to see an AT appearance help a character make it in. I can understand an AT appearance helping a character's chance when he/she beat other characters (examples being Waluigi and Lyn), but I don't see it aiding them against newly created characters (as Lyn doesn't beat out Chrom in most people's eyes).

Isaac is way more popular
Isaac is more requested but popularity is not the be all end all. I think popularity gets you to door, but popularity doesn't put you over other characters. Sakurai picks whoever he wants. Should GS get another release, Matthew stands to be a better rep for the series' future. And should Sakurai consult second party developer Camelot (as he does with other series like FE), it's very possible they would recommend Matthew, as they have hinted that Matthew's saga is the real story of the Golden Sun series. That, and Matthew is a much snazzier dresser.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn sales were bad. Therefore, Matthew shouldn't be a rep.
Golden Sun Dark Dawn's 670,000 units are the lowest for the GS series. But they are higher than other current and possible reps. They beat Path of Radiance for Ike, Mother 3 for Lucas, and are higher than prospective series such as Sin and Punishment (both games), Chibi-Robo, and many others.

This thread was not made to compete with the Isaac Thread. I like both characters and don't care which one we get, as long as we get one. But I think Matthew fans needs a space to argue for the character.

Additional Adepts for Matthew:
Arteen
Diddy Kong
N3ON
jaytalks
Altais
AgatioGanon

Support Icons:

Arteen

Smash Lord
I'm rooting for Isaac, but I wouldn't mind Matthew. I'll be happy one way or the other if Golden Sun gets a spot on the roster.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd much rather have Isaac, as I haven't played Dark Dawn.

But still, this thread should have been created earlier.

Also, the quote at the beginning of the OP is win.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I'm hoping for Judgment as the final smash, but if Matthew makes it in, Crystallux would be awesome too.

Alternate OP quotes:
"
"
"
"

I think it'd be really cute if Isaac or Matthew didn't have any voiced lines (like Link) and instead had thought bubbles like
appear above his head, like in the games.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
My choice would be Isaac, but they'd work the same way anyhow, and any GS rep is better than no GS rep, so I'd be fine with Matthew. More than fine actually. ;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Haven't played Dark Dawn either, so Isaac has my vote to. But I couldn't say no to his son either. Either way, any Golden Sun character would be received with warm welcomes by me.

So in short:

Yes I stole that :awesome:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Though I honestly would prefer Isaac, I would not mind Matthew being included instead. I will admit, I do like Matthew's outfit better than Isaac's. [Shrugs] Either way, we would get Golden Sun promotion, and possibly Golden Sun 4. So ultimately, I am fine with either character.

As for a Final Smash, I think Megiddo would be best. If not Megiddo, then Odyssey. Personally, I think Crystallux would be better off as a stage element. [Shrugs] But that is just me.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'll try to finish the OP soon. If anyone has anything they would like to add, let me know.

Though I honestly would prefer Isaac, I would not mind Matthew being included instead. I will admit, I do like Matthew's outfit better than Isaac's. [Shrugs] Either way, we would get Golden Sun promotion, and possibly Golden Sun 4. So ultimately, I am fine with either character.

As for a Final Smash, I think Megiddo would be best. If not Megiddo, then Odyssey. Personally, I think Crystallux would be better off as a stage element. [Shrugs] But that is just me.
I think as an Earth Adept, he should probably get a Venus summon. Chrystallux as a stage summon would be cool. If it's not Chrystallux then it would probably be Judgement.

Oh, and yes to Golden Sun 4. The summons would look so cool in 3D for my 3DS.

Arteen

Smash Lord
If Matthew's got one thing going for him over Isaac, it's the outfit. Snazzy.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I wouldn't mind seeing Mathew, to me Isaac and Mathew are the same freaken thing.

Which is why the Assist Trophy would have to Arcanus, the main villain of the series, he's a important character to the plot, he doesn't battle the protagonist for some weird reason, but he does assist various characters in the series, therefore he should replace Isaac as a Assist Trophy.
Arcanus.png

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I wouldn't mind seeing Mathew, to me Isaac and Mathew are the same freaken thing.

Which is why the Assist Trophy would have to Arcanus, the main villain of the series, he's a important character to the plot, he doesn't battle the protagonist for some weird reason, but he does assist various characters in the series, therefore he should replace Isaac as a Assist Trophy.View attachment 3753
I agree on the first point.

Good idea on the second point. Do you have any specific ideas for an Arcanus AT?

Also, the OP is fully updated. I added Music, Stages, AT's. I think it's mostly done for the moment, but I am open to any suggestions.

TeamFlareZakk

I agree on the first point.

Good idea on the second point. Do you have any specific ideas for an Arcanus AT?

Also, the OP is fully updated. I added Music, Stages, AT's. I think it's mostly done for the moment, but I am open to any suggestions.
Well there is that psynergy he used in Lost Age on the Tolbi Solders.

There is also that pat in Dark Dawn where Tyrell wants to battle then he casts some sort of psynergy and hits him.

Then the wild card is using the Golden Sun itself, what if he summoned the power of the Golden Sun and it did some sort of Cruel Rain like thing and destroyed everybody on the stage?

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Great post, gotta bump it.
But if Isaac/Matthew make it in, their Final Smash better DARN well be Iris.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I can't imagine that Isaac would get anything but Judgment. It feels like the perfect choice for a final smash. If Matthew gets in, Crystallux would be a neat final smash as well.

TeamFlareZakk

I don't care what Isaac's Final Smash is, I'd be happy if he's playable.

Me and @Swampasaur already had this discussion, at first I was very reluctant to accept Judgement over something like Iris or Megiddo, but and he along with a few others convinced me that it wouldn't be that bad.

Although Megiddo is very awesome looking, it's no wonder why I argued that over Judgement so much, it's like that Death Ball thing some of the bad guys use in DBZ, if you like that sort of thing, maybe since Namco is developing, we'd see that since it's rather similar to a DBZ move, who knows.

Also it seems the Sol Blade is becoming the Master Sword of Golden Sun, if that makes sense, probably the most iconic blade in the series.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I would accept Matthew as a consolation prize for if Isaac wasn't in. But I don't think anyone in their right mind prefers him over Isaac

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I would accept Matthew as a consolation prize for if Isaac wasn't in. But I don't think anyone in their right mind prefers him over Isaac
I don't really mind which one makes it in, as long as Golden Sun gets some representation!

TeamFlareZakk

That's a good point, meaning why not have Isaac or Matthew use other elemental moves?

I mean he's supposed to represent the whole Golden Sun series the best he can and just having Venus elemental moves isn't really doing that.

Ness doesn't really use a lot of those moves he uses, but he uses them to represent Earthbound.

However, the question is would Sakurai know what moves to give him if he did a mixed moveset?

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
That's a good point, meaning why not have Isaac or Matthew use other elemental moves?

I mean he's supposed to represent the whole Golden Sun series the best he can and just having Venus elemental moves isn't really doing that.

Ness doesn't really use a lot of those moves he uses, but he uses them to represent Earthbound.

However, the question is would Sakurai know what moves to give him if he did a mixed moveset?
I read in a Game Informer (or was it Nintendo Power?) that said in addition to being a total boss, Sakurai is like a walking Nintendo-trivia encyclopedia. He wrote most of the Melee Trophy trivia himself, mostly from memory.
And to support the first part of your statement, as long as the correct Djinn were on standby, any character in the party could use the summon, not just the character that they were equipped to. I'd rather see Iris, Eclipse, Crystallux, Charon, or (My personal choice) Catastrophe.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.

If they gave Isaac/Matthew a multi-element moveset, it would make him too similar to the other magick users in Super Smash Bros. In mine opinion, if they want Isaac/Matthew to stand out, they should give him moves that mainly have Venus element attributes; rocks and plants. Only a select few should have non-Venus attributes. [Shrugs] But that is just me.

As for representing the whole Golden Sun series, they can easily do that with Assist Trophies, regular trophies, and whatnot.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ness never could learn PK Starstorm, but that's his Final Smash...
I'm not saying Isaac/Matthew couldn't have a Mars summon as a FS, it just wouldn't make as much sense as a Venus summon (specifically Judgment) due to how iconic and closely associated that particular attack is to Isaac (and Matthew). Ness and Lucas are by and large the exception, not the normal, so while Isaac/Matthew could have a random FS, they probably won't.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Then the wild card is using the Golden Sun itself, what if he summoned the power of the Golden Sun and it did some sort of Cruel Rain like thing and destroyed everybody on the stage?
That would be a great shout out for the series.

I prefer him over Isaac, but I find the two very much interchangeable. But I like Matthew design's better. And Mathew has better lines than Isaac does in GS1. "...." is much better than "..."

Although Megiddo is very awesome looking, it's no wonder why I argued that over Judgement so much, it's like that Death Ball thing some of the bad guys use in DBZ, if you like that sort of thing, maybe since Namco is developing, we'd see that since it's rather similar to a DBZ move, who knows.

Also it seems the Sol Blade is becoming the Master Sword of Golden Sun, if that makes sense, probably the most iconic blade in the series.
The Sol Blade seems to be the iconic blade of the series, but the Sol part should be a dead give away why.

Sakurai does research and will consult Camelot if Matthew was to make it in, as he does with virtually every other series.

If they gave Isaac/Matthew a multi-element moveset, it would make him too similar to the other magick users in Super Smash Bros. In mine opinion, if they want Isaac/Matthew to stand out, they should give him moves that mainly have Venus element attributes; rocks and plants. Only a select few should have non-Venus attributes. [Shrugs] But that is just me.

As for representing the whole Golden Sun series, they can easily do that with Assist Trophies, regular trophies, and whatnot.
I have him switching djinn in my moveset, but I could imagine a mixed moveset like this:
Neutral: Jupiter Psyenergy: Gale - Matthew casts a gale around himself, damaging his surrounding opponents.
Forward:Mercury Psyenergy: Cutting Edge -
Matthew shoots water blades that strike his opponent. The fastest out of the four.
Up: Mars Psyenergy: Planet Diver
Matthew jumps into the air with fire energy, and crashes to the ground at a 45 degree angle.
Down: Venus Psyenergy: Ragnarok -
Matthew raises his hands up and causes a giant sword to cleave the opponent next to him.

And I don't think there are too many other magic users; not to mention the properties could be totally different.

Giving Matthew (or Isaac) a Venus summon just makes sense, if they were given a summon. It feels iconic to the series. Another summon is possible, but a Venus summon is the most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom