• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poliwhirl for SSB4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vale

Smash Ace
Introducing Satoshi's Favourite
Poliwhirl - The Tadpole Pokémon
Ken Sugimori Official Artwork

Importance to the Franchise
Poliwhirl appeared on various early promotional materials. Up until 2007, he was featured in the Pokémon Center's (based in Tokyo, Japan) logo:
He also was one of the Pokémon that had a gold-plated card during the Burger King promotion, alongside Pokémon such as Jigglypuff and Mewtwo:
He was even front and center on an issue of Times Magazine (November 22nd, 1999):

In addition, Misty had a Poliwhirl in the anime and Poliwhirl was Red's first Pokémon in the Pokémon Adventures manga.

Character Stats
Poliwhirl would be an all-around average character, similar in height and weight of Mario. He would have the ability to swim without drowning. He can wall jump, but not wall cling. His attacks would for the most part have moderate range and knockback.

Moveset Potential
Poliwhirl can mix ranged, water-based attacks with physical ones. In the Pokémon games, he has access to a variety of normal, water, and fighting type moves. Moveset currently incomplete, could use some suggestions.

A: Doubleslap. Standard 1-2-rapid jab.
Fsmash: Body Slam. Poliwhirl throws his body forward a short distance.
Dsmash: Earthquake. Two hitboxes on each side. The first one (close to Poliwhirl) traps opponents in the ground, and the second one (further away) deals moderate damage and has moderate knockback.
Usmash: Strength. Poliwhirl punches above him with both hands.

Fair- Ice Punch. Short range, freezes opponents.
Bair-
Dair- Dive. Poliwhirl shoots down, leaving a trail of damaging water above him.
Uair
Nair- Psychic. Poliwhirl surrounds himself with an aura which deals damage to anyone nearby.

Ftilt- Bubble. A small array of bubbles shoot forward a short distance. Maybe a trip effect?
Dtilt-
Utilt- Mud Bomb

B: Brick Break. Poliwhirl strikes with one of his hands. High shield damage.
Side-B: Toxic. Poliwhirl shoots out poison. Enemies take recurring damage for a short period of time (similar to Lip's Stick).
Down-B: Substitute. Poliwhirl takes 25% damage and recieves superamour until he takes that amount of damage. He cannot use Substitute at or after 75%. When used, the animation surrounds him in smoke during the move's startup.
Up-B: Mud shot. Poliwhirl shoots down and rises with a pillar of mud. (Or maybe Waterfall with the same effect but water instead of mud?)

Final Smash: Belly Drum. Poliwhirl takes 20% damage, and all of his moves deal 3x damage and knockback for the duration. He also gains a dashing speed similar to Sonic's.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This reminds me of that one guy whe kept making support threads of random pokemon but hey, like legendofrob1 said. Everyone can dream! :happysheep:

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
Poliwhirl would be interesting as like a pokeball or maybe in a new trainer. He was actually one of my favorites and I still love Poliwag. Pokemo reps are so difficult to choose because there are so many and vary in popularity. Poliwhirl just doesn't seem that popular right now even with him promoteing the games so much. I would Take him over Jigglypuff anyday. I'd also love to see Politoad with his Op drizzle Ability teaming up with swift swim users in brawl :D

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
This reminds me of that one guy whe kept making support threads of random pokemon but hey, like legendofrob1 said. Everyone can dream! :happysheep:
Lool you mean that Dratini guy? And someone got a hard on and got challenged something like ''go make a dragonair thread if you like him so much''

Guess what he did?

LOOOOOOOOOL.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Lool you mean that Dratini guy? And someone got a hard on and got challenged something like ''go make a dragonair thread if you like him so much''

Guess what he did?

LOOOOOOOOOL.
I don't exactly remember but the guy kept making all sorts of pokemon support threads such as Axew and all that it drove people mad. It was quite funny. :p I wonder if he still comes to Smash Boards, Haven't seen him in quite a while anymore.....

But yeah, that's kinda going off topic with that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Poliwhirl is a cool Pokémon and all, but even if there was a Smash Bros game only for Pokémon he'd have a hard time making it in, let alone a Nintendo All-Stars game where only the best of the best Pokémon make it in. Yes, everyone can dream, but do we really want to take things this far?

Vale

Smash Ace
Poliwhirl would be interesting as like a pokeball or maybe in a new trainer. He was actually one of my favorites and I still love Poliwag. Pokemo reps are so difficult to choose because there are so many and vary in popularity. Poliwhirl just doesn't seem that popular right now even with him promoteing the games so much. I would Take him over Jigglypuff anyday. I'd also love to see Politoad with his Op drizzle Ability teaming up with swift swim users in brawl :D
I could see him as one of the Pokéball ones instead of a fighter, as he has a decent number of moves to choose from for that type of thing. I agree with the general sentiment that he probably isn't among the most likely Pokémon, but I don't think he is as obscure as most other Pokémon are. Most of his popularity was during the earlier years of the series, so I understand why most people think it is unlikely compared to more recent ones like Zoroark.

Hmm i waz abit harsh..i wasent making fun of OP sorry if you felt i did..and yes everyone can dream. Just that it was so Random.

No offense taken.

EDIT: Looking into why Poliwhirl was so prevelant on early promotions, I found multiple sources citing Poliwag or Poliwhirl as Satoshi Tajiri's (the creator of Pokémon) favourite.
Ex: http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Poliwhirl

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
just to note, Poliwhirl is Satoshi Tajiri's favourite Pokémon.

Vale

Smash Ace
just to note, Poliwhirl is Satoshi Tajiri's favourite Pokémon.

I did mention that in my second post but wasn't sure if the sources I used were accurate. I'll take this as confirmation and note it in the OP.

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
Poliwhirl has always been one of my favorites. I also liked Politoed before Drizzle made him cool.

Would be neat to see either of them show up in some form, even if that form would probably be in a pokeball.

Reznor

work in progress
my favorite pokemon is a tie between Poliwhirl,Poliwag and Poliwrath so i'm all for this but it won't happen
Politoed is ok but I don't like his design as much

Vale

Smash Ace
Poliwhirl has always been one of my favorites. I also liked Politoed before Drizzle made him cool.

Would be neat to see either of them show up in some form, even if that form would probably be in a pokeball.

my favorite pokemon is a tie between Poliwhirl,Poliwag and Poliwrath so i'm all for this but it won't happen
Politoed is ok but I don't like his design as much

I'll take this as sort-of support, I guess. Thanks.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
You know you're in a good spot when you're citing Burger King.

Foot Foot

Smash Rookie
Red had Poliwhirl in the Manga, a Pokemon trainer with Poliwhirl would be interesting.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Poliwhirl is jokes. New meme in the making no doubt.

Poliwhirl himself is a rather interesting addition; whilst completely unimportant to the anime, Poliwhirl is the creators favourite Pokemon, and an important part of Red's manga team.

Unfortunately since Gamefreak seem to suggest Pokemon they're advertising in the anime, unless Poliwhirl shows up as a major part of the Pokemon Origins film, he's out of luck.

I'd still want him in as a pokeball Pokemon at the very least however if only as a tip of the hat to the very man who created the original 151 creatures that started the second most popular Nintendo gaming franchise, and one of the biggest global phenomenas in gaming history.

This thread isn't as ridiculous as some of you thought at all; and Poliwhirl deserves some respect. It's no easy task to be the favourite child of a family of 151*.

*I have no idea if Satoshi created all the other Pokemon so I'm playing it safe. If he created most of them, this is an even more impressive feat.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Poliwhirl would be a cool addition. He has some great moves to bring to the smash world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom