• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unlocking Your Favorite Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I apologize if this thread already exists, but I thought this would be an interesting topic considering that people discuss this kind of stuff all of the time.

If all of your favorite characters from Brawl, as well as your preferred newcomers make it in to Smash 4, how would you want them to be unlocked? What would you have to do to get them?

Answer for as many characters as you like, preferably new characters.

I'd want Paper Mario and Toon Link to be unlocked in a story mode event or event match where Mario and Link cross into another dimension and must defeat their dimensional counterparts in a two vs. two, and then play a match with each of them or something to that effect to challenge them one at a time for the unlock.

For Wolf, I would think it would be cool to have him randomly show up in a versus game on the Starfox stage while playing as Fox or Falco when there are less than four players, say "can't let you do that, Starfox!" or "you're good, but I'm better!" and have to beat him down to unlock the official "unlock" battle after the fight.

Any more cool ideas? Veterans or new? And if playing matches is still a way to get them, how many matches and in what order would you want them to appear?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
To unlock Mach Rider you must beat classic mode with Captain Falcon or complete ten versus matches with Cap.

To unlock Ridley you must play on each Metroid stage and Metroid themed levels in story mode with Samus or Zero Suit Samus.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think K.Rool should be an event match with both Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong on a Gangplank Galleom stage. You would then unlock both the stage and character.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'd want mewtwo to be unlocked by doing something with lucario (or vice versa...)

maybe in an event titled "the ultimate pokemon challenge" or something.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As long as they have interesting ways to unlock characters, as opposed to just playing through SSE. That was dumb. I want it to be a challenge.

Actually, it might be cool if you can only progress through the story by unlocking a particular character. That way you have to do other tasks to complete the story. Or finish their mission in the story, and then do other requirements along with it.

I'd want mewtwo to be unlocked by doing something with lucario (or vice versa...)

maybe in an event titled "the ultimate pokemon challenge" or something.
I was thinking Pokemon Trainer in like a stamina match with Mewtwo. So it would kind of be like a Pokemon Battle.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
As long as they have interesting ways to unlock characters, as opposed to just playing through SSE. That was dumb. I want it to be a challenge.

Actually, it might be cool if you can only progress through the story by unlocking a particular character. That way you have to do other tasks to complete the story. Or finish their mission in the story, and then do other requirements along with it.
that way it would make story "longer"!

or they could have an alternate solution to unlocking them in SSE. I lost all my brawl data twice, so the SSE was convenient to get my characters back in a short amount of time.

I was thinking Pokemon Trainer in like a stamina match with Mewtwo. So it would kind of be like a Pokemon Battle.
the whole point of mine was it was referencing all the Lucario VS Mewtwo debate, but yours is good too.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

That Pokemon Trainer idea is awesome. And it'd be a super high level Mewtwo with a low handicap so he's hard to knock out, while each of your pokemon counts as one life. Maybe give you Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer to work with.

I'd like Mewtwo to be unlocked in a way like that. Or maybe you'd have to get Mew out of a Pokemon ball like 5 times or something.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
To unlock Shulk you must beat an Event Match where you have to fight him with R.O.B. or Mega Man.
I think K.Rool should be an event match with both Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong on a Gangplank Galleom stage. You would then unlock both the stage and character.
*Puts difficulty into easy*
That was too easy.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't care who, but someone needs to be unlocked from doing say 20 character specific target smashes. Because all in all we need character specific target smashes back.
It has to be Mr. Game & Watch, like in Melee.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't mind any way we can unlock characters. I just hope that this time around Sakurai doesn't make my most favourite/wanted characters such a boring chore to unlock. First Mewtwo and the many hours I spend making Kirby commit suicide in vs just to unlock him in Melee. And having to go through the entire SSE just to be able to unlock Toon Link at all in Brawl and the game not letting you do the other methods without completing SSE first. If Professor Layton (or any other characters I really like but end up being secret characters) is in the game. I just hope I don't need to play a gazilion vs mode matches, play through the (probably) even longer Adventure Mode (or having to complete it first before I can unlock him in any other way) or having to collect about 800 trophies before I can play as him or something. :/

Sorry for the little rant there, didn't mean to. ^^;

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I don't mind any way we can unlock characters. I just hope that this time around Sakurai doesn't make my most favourite/wanted characters such a boring chore to unlock. First Mewtwo and the many hours I spend making Kirby commit suicide in vs just to unlock him in Melee. And having to go through the entire SSE just to be able to unlock Toon Link at all in Brawl and the game not letting you do the other methods without completing SSE first. If Professor Layton (or any other characters I really like but end up being secret characters) is in the game. I just hope I don't need to play a gazilion vs mode matches, play through the (probably) even longer Adventure Mode (or having to complete it first before I can unlock him in any other way) or having to collect about 800 trophies before I can play as him or something. :/

Sorry for the little rant there. ^^;
If you loved the game and love spending time playing it then you wouldnt mind doing it.

But i do get you on pointless time consuming/tedious stuff..thats what you waz tryna get at right? I dont really care if i end up loving the game as much as Melee i will do all the tedious crap.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If you loved the game and love spending time playing it then you wouldnt mind doing it.

But i do get you on pointless time consuming/tedious stuff..thats what you waz tryna get at right? I dont really care if i end up loving the game as much as Melee i will do all the tedious crap.

Of course I love the games. But making Kirby commit suicide a bunch of times over and over again does get a little boring over time though if I can be totally honest.

Although I will give it that once I did unlock the characters for the first time, the amount of sanctification I had was... delicious. :p:awesome::troll:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Just leave your GC on overnight? Thats what everyone done...the more pads you got the quicker too.

Ahhh man i cant wait for this game...sooo many questions.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Making unlock criteria for the characters in my signature plus Roy and Mewtwo:

Cynthia: Complete a certain Event Match. (Would be a Pokémon-themed Event, obviously.)
Anna: Accumulate a total of 20000 Coins obtained from Coin Matches.
Dark Pit: Clear Classic Mode at least on Hard difficulty using a Kid Icarus character.
King K. Rool: Complete a certain Event Match. (Would be DK themed and feature K. Rool as the main opponent.)
Ridley: Play 20 VS. Matches on Metroid stages.
Takamaru: Clear Target Smash with 15 different characters.
Ghirahim: Score at least 5 KOs on Cruel Brawl.
Avatar (Robin): Score 75 or more KOs on 3-Minute Brawl.
Mewtwo: Clear 30 different Event Matches.
Roy: Clear Classic Mode at least on Hard difficulty using a Fire Emblem character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just leave your GC on overnight? Thats what everyone done...the more pads you got the quicker too.

Ahhh man i cant wait for this game...sooo many questions.

I actually never really understood the other method to unlock Mewtwo though. Was I supposed to keep the vs match on for 20 hours straight up. Or was I supposed to get a total of 20 hours of vs matches? And if the first one is yes. Do I need to do it in stock matches or is it alright in infinite time matches only to cancel it once 20 hours is up? :/

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'll do a list for the characters in my signature who have not been mentioned in this thread yet. It's big list, but here goes:

Collect 50 different stickers (Get the reference?)

Complete the Event Match: Time for a Check-up. (The one in Melee)

Complete Classic Mode with Bowser on Normal or higher.

Successfully counter 5 attacks using Peach's Neutral B.

Play 20 VS. Matches on WarioWare stage.

Complete All-Star mode with Fox or Falco. (Yeah, got to make it annoying. :troll:)

Complete Classic Mode with Marth on any difficulty.

Complete 100-Man Brawl with Roy

Defeat the Porky Mech boss in Adventure Mode.

Use Mewtwo in 15 VS. matches

Complete Classic Mode with Ivysaur.

Play as Toon Link on the Pirate Ship stage.

Burst the balloon which appears in Smashville 7 times.

Complete the Event Match: "The Evil Minish Reborn". (Toon Link in 1P, and Tetra in co-op.

Play on the Skyworld stage 25 times.

Defeat 3 enemies in Cruel Brawl.

Defeat 50 enemies in Endless Brawl.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'll do a list for the characters in my signature who have not been mentioned in this thread yet. It's big list, but here goes:

Play 20 VS. Matches on WarioWare stage.

Use Mewtwo in 15 VS. matches

Burst the balloon which appears in Smashville 7 times.

Play on the Skyworld stage 25 times.
*grumble, grumble*

I HAAATED the stages in Brawl you had to unlock by fulfilling a quota of some sort. I really wish they stay out of Smash 4.

Defeat 10 enemies in Cruel Brawl.
O_O Dude, have some mercy!

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm going to be referencing some events I've made(which can be found here) for these:

Lucina: Clear the event "Marth vs. Marth"

Ridley: Clear Boss Battles with Samus

Anna: Collect over 1000 coins

Bandana Dee: Beat the event "A familiar foe"

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Palutena:

-Clear Classic mode on Normal with Pit without losing a life, or simply clear it on Hard or higher.
-Win 100 Vs mode matches with Pit.
-Spend 20 hours on Skyworld as Pit.
-Play as Pit for a total of 48 hours.

The first 2 are references to Pit doing trials and training. *Cue the Challenger Approaching part!* And then Lady Palutena appears as another Trial for Pit (on a new KI stage of course).

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
ALL
-Unlock characters in adventure mode, can toggle unlocking characters with this off. (since alot of you hate it)
Marth-
-Have 20 battles
-Beat classic mode as Ike or any FE character, you unlocked

Layton
-Beat target smash as 12 characters
-Beat the event "World's greatest puzzle solver"
-have 250 battles

Lyn
-Beat the classic mode as Takamaru or Samurai Goroh
-Beat the event "Three katanas"
-Have 125 battles

Ness-
-get over 750 m in home run contest
-beat classic mode as Lucas

All characters that were starters (except Ness) will still be starters.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
ALL
-Unlock characters in adventure mode, can toggle unlocking characters with this off. (since alot of you hate it)
Marth-
-Have 20 battles
-Beat classic mode as Ike or any FE character, you unlocked

Layton
-Beat target smash as 12 characters
-Beat the event "World's greatest puzzle solver"
-have 250 battles

Lyn
-Beat the classic mode as Takamaru or Samurai Goroh
-Beat the event "Three katanas"
-Have 125 battles

Ness-
-get over 750 m in home run contest
-beat classic mode as Lucas

All characters that were starters (except Ness) will still be starters.
Ness wasn't a starter in 2 of the games.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Ness: Earn the Giygas trophy and then complete one versus match. Oh yes.
C. Falcon: Sprint a total of 5,000 ft in all gametypes combined.
Jiggs: Clear Classic mode like it used to be.
Luigi: Beat a Lv9 Mario by at least three stock in a one vs. one Stock Battle, and Luigi will show up to continue the fight.

There's my ideas for the classic four.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Ness: Earn the Giygas trophy and then complete one versus match. Oh yes.
C. Falcon: Sprint a total of 5,000 ft in all gametypes combined.
Jiggs: Clear Classic mode like it used to be.
Luigi: Beat a Lv9 Mario by at least three stock in a one vs. one Stock Battle, and Luigi will show up to continue the fight.

There's my ideas for the classic four.
ness is kinda off, because it could be kinda random to get that trophy. might take a friggen long time.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Unless you earn the trophy in a specific way like many of the ones in Brawl, or find it in Adventure Mode. Not all trophies are luck-based.
Most of the trophies in Adventure mode is luck based, the only one I remember being like that is the hotocate ship in the Cpt. Falcon and Olimar level.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Most of the trophies in Adventure mode is luck based, the only one I remember being like that is the hotocate ship in the Cpt. Falcon and Olimar level.
Yes, in Brawl. In Smash 4, it may very well be different. You may earn fixed trophies for doing specific things in Adventure i.e. stomping a certain number of enemies, or beating a stage within a certain time.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Yes, in Brawl. In Smash 4, it may very well be different. You may earn fixed trophies for doing specific things in Adventure i.e. stomping a certain number of enemies, or beating a stage within a certain time.
well, why don't you say how to get the trophy then?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
well, why don't you say how to get the trophy then?
Because the trigger that would lead to Ness is having the trophy, thus that is "the method of unlock." But since everyone is being so technical, how about you get the trophy for killing ten Star Men in Adventure mode. Maybe that would unlock Ness himself, idk.

The point I was making was that there should be a Giygas trophy. That's why I put it in bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom