• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bizarre Tabuu Gets Revenge (The Tabuu Support Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
TABUU

Debut: Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008)
Creator: Masahiro Sakurai

Introduction
Tabuu (タブー, Tabuu) is the leader of the Subspace Army in the hit game: Super Smash Brothers Brawl. He is the main antagonist and final boss of Subspace Emissary. He is a powerful and bizarre supernatural entity who resides in Subspace. Born in a vastly foreign realm, he also possesses great leadership powers

Tabuu possesses many unique abilities such as giant shuriken boomerangs, a chain of light, and the ability to transform into a shake blade.

Why should Tabuu be in?
There is a chance that Sakurai will likely want to add a Smash Original character this time around as Smash itself is not only a crossover between franchises, but rather it's own franchise with it's own settings, characters, and uniqueness

This is the fourth installment and it's fair to expect something different and surprising. Unlike Melee and Brawl, there are less shoe in characters this time around. There is certainly room for an oddball/surprise choice to give the fans something new. I think this is actually the most likely time for a Smash Original character to happen.

Tabuu is the perfect choice for a Smash Original character as he's the only one with a unique move set that contributes to game balance. Also it's prudent to assume Tabuu will make a comeback in this game in some form like Crazy Hand, Master Hand, and Giga Bowser dis. And with the SSE no longer a part of the game, appearing as a unique wtf playable character would be a fitting role.

Counter Arguments

"Tabuu is generic and unoriginal"

As far as I know, There are no other video game characters that combine a naked man made out of blue cyber cells with majestic butterfly wings with a chain of light, who can transform into golden brackets and a Shark Blade. The only character I've ever seen that remotely resembles him is Silver Surfer so I don't know why he's considered generic by so many or why he's criticized for it in a game starring a magic glove, a caped swordsman, a buff gorilla, and a laser shooting Robot.

"Subspace Emissary was poorly received by some people and Tabuu is not Popular. People don't want Tabuu in Super Smash Brothers"

First of all: Regardless of how much some people did or did not enjoy the SSE, this does not change the importance of Tabuu's Role in it. Being the leader of all evil in Super Smash Brothers Brawl he is very deserving as the representative of a Smash original playable character.

Second of all: Tabuu does not need to be popular to get in. Tabuu is practically as well known as Brawl is.
A character does not need to be requested, but rather make people want to buy the game. In most cases, fans don't truly want an unrequested character in Smash until they and their play style is actually shown off. So unless Anti-Requests are frequently sent to Sakurai, I see no reason for him not to add a character if he truly wants to add him and feels it will be well received and interest fans.

"Master Hand is more important than Tabuu. He should be playable over him"

The mere concept of Master Hand being playable is absurd imo. Not impossible, but to assume Sakurai wants you to be able to throw, grab, and eat Master Hand is unlikely imo. Master Hand is clear boss material, unlike Tabuu who would function similar to Mewtwo. I believe Tabuu is the only real viable choice for a playable character from Smash besides Primid. However enemies in games do not usually become playable character in the Super Smash Brothers Series.

Tabuu's Move Set

SaturnGamer64's Moveset:

Neutral Special: Shuriken Boomerang - Tabuu pulls out his shuriken boomerang. Like Mewtwo and Samus, this Shuriken grows the longer you charge it, but does not become as big as in Brawl. Once it is thrown it will come back to him.

Side Special: Shark Blade - Tabuu takes 3 seconds to transform into a Shark then dashes forward a distance.

Downward Special: Dragon Laser - This one takes a while to charge, but Tabuu manifests a dragon head (also bearing similarities to the Dark Cannons), which floats beneath Tabuu as it fires a powerful laser horizontally across the stage.

Upward Special: Golden Brackets -Tabuu transforms into an energy cage, resembling two glowing yellow brackets. He will thrust upwards in whatever direction you hold the control stick. Like C. Falcon it will grab characters and then explode.
FINAL SMASH: Off Waves - Tabuu appears in the background and unfolds his wings. He then proceeds to unleash massive circular shockwaves that encompass the stage almost as much as Jigglypuff's FS. If these hit, they will cause massive damage and knockback. However you can not use the dodge trick this time.

Grab: Chain of Light - Tabuu will cast a chain of light similar to how Link casts a hookshot. If he grabs you he will pull you towards him then spin you around and throw you in whatever direction chosen.

Gallery:

Tabuu as he appears in his standard idle form

Tabuu with his wings

Tabuu using the chains of light on Master Hand

A hacked Photo of Tabuu

Tabuu's Shark Blade Transformation

Tabuu's Trophy

Description: The ruler of Subspace and master of operations. Tabuu controls Master Hand with chains of light to excise this world and build up his great maze. He used Shadow Bugs to form Subspace and manipulates the servants of Master Hand to his heart's content. Born in a vastly foreign realm, he also possesses great leadership powers. Tabuu...No name is more suitable.

Tabuu's Bad ass theme:

Guybrush20X6's Original Tabuu Proposal

The True Mastermind of Subspace Joins the Fight.

Weakened from his last battle Tabuu takes to the stage to seek revenge on the Smash Bros cast, especially that hedgehog.

Playstyle

Tabuu hovers just above the stage and his dash can go over low attacks like koopa shells if timed right, but he has low traction because he's too cool to touch the ground like normal people.

His B attacks are weakened version of his Boss version's showier attacks

B: Chain of Light: Tabuu throws a chain of light in front of him. If it snags an opponents he swings them around before slamming them down in front of him. Can also be a tether recovery.

B-Side: Shark Blade: Tabuu turns into a Giant fish thingy and charges forwards

B-Up: Explosive Teleport: Tabuu teleports a short distance, creating an explosion where he appears, can be done up to 3 times but if not executed quickly can leave him helpless.

B-Down: Diving Slash: Tabuu does a swooping slash with an arm blade.

FINAL SMASH: Off Waves
Tabuu sprouts his wings and can fly freely around the stage. Pressing B summons an off Wave and holding it can charge up to 3 Offwaves. They have more limited range than the boss version and are less OP but still hard to avoid and can really ruin your day.

Phew, that took a while to type. What do you think?

SUPPORT TABUU AND GET A FREE WAFFLE!

Supporters
SaturnGamer64 ~ MorbidAltruism ~ Louie G. ~ Guybrush20X6 ~ qdMbp ~ BigAxle ~ KingMario92 ~
KenithTheGatherer ~ MegaDunsparce

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, what's with the hostility?

I get the original character for a crossover series isn't a popular concept but geez, not buying the game if he's playable? That's a bit much isn't it?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If Smash gets an original character, I would rather it be some sort of Primid or even some form of Galleom or Duon.

Tabuu didn't stand out that much. It felt like he was shoehorned into the story at the last minute.

Plus his design is just weird.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Err... no. Given how poorly the SSE was received, they would be sprinkling salt on our wounds if they made Tabuu playable.

I'd rather have a Primid.

D

Deleted member

I'm probably one of the few that wouldn't mind this.
But at the same time, I'm not actually hoping this happens.

We need a playable Zako Team before him. :troll: (If you don't get it, the Zako Team refers to the Polygons/Wire Frames/Alloys)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Small shreds of positivity!

Do you think the moveset I made is any good or would you have different ones?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Do you think the moveset I made is any good or would you have different ones?
I like the moveset. While I dislike the idea of Tabuu being playable, I have to admit that he has a lot of source material to work with.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It's not ridiculous for SSBM to have a wholly original playable character... at this point, it itself is one of Nintendo's star franchises. I'd probably prefer this guy over the primids- I strongly dislike their design.

And your moveset sounds about right... but since it's an original character, they might instead opt for a completely reworked moveset since they can do whatever they want. No real need for them to adapt his moves during an epic boss fight to his playable moves.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'd like his final smash to involve the Hands. Like they appear chained like in the Emissary and you can use them for some time.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wouldn't mind Tabuu if he became Captain N's villain... god, Nintendo needs to make a new IP starring Captain N and Princess Lana.

D

Deleted member

Tabuu have to be toned down in order to be part of the playable roster. I have nothing against him becoming playable, but it requires of a lot work. I think his size has to be modified as well.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Should the psychedelic glow-in-the-dark oversized naked butterfly man that nobody likes be playable?
Sorry but I'm going to have to say no.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Err... no. Given how poorly the SSE was received, they would be sprinkling salt on our wounds if they made Tabuu playable.

I'd rather have a Primid.
And where are those wounds located? Inside your anus? :troll:

D

Deleted member

Now that I think about it, if we were to have a blue glow in the dark "naked" man, it should be John Raimi from Geist.

...though probably with his body, separating for certain attacks and Final Smash. I'd imagine fighting a non-cartoonish ghost would be kind of ridiculous...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh yeah, I forgot that game. Wonder if anyone made a board for him yet. If not someone should get on that. I can't because I never played it so I wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, I forgot that game. Wonder if anyone made a board for him yet. If not someone should get on that. I can't because I never played it so I wouldn't know what I'm talking about.
There is one.

I plan on bumping it up once I finish the game (I'm borrowing a copy from a friend of mine).
It's a damn shame the game was not released in Japan. That means it doesn't exist as far as Sakurai's concerned, so there will likely never be anything from it in any Smash Bros. title. Like how despite the game coming out years before Brawl, the only mention the game got was in the Chronicle outside Japan.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I mean, mostly it's a shame that the game just wasn't popular and never reached its potential. It was cool and different, but not necessarily good. The game hardly exists in America and will never receive a sequel... it's just not a series that represents Nintendo.

Also, well, mechanically in Smash it'd be kind of strange... interesting, but strange. I imagine he'd dispossess his body to possess enemy players for a bit? Anyway, this thread's about Tabuu.

For example, let's briefly talk about his name. Tabuu. It's a really, really bad name. Not only is it just childishly silly to have an "evil" word and misspell it and call it a name, the character isn't even "taboo" in the first place, he's just a bad guy.

Clearly he should've been named "Kriminal" or "Bahdgai" or "Meyn-villun". I'd even accept "Kah'tas-Trophy", making it a pun on both catastrophe and the SSB trophies. These are all awful suggestions and would have still been better than Tabuu.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
About that whole misspelling thing, when he was first revealed the fans translated his name as Taboo. Is it spelled right in Japanese and was changed for English? Because if there's one thing writers like doing it's using foreign words in place of creativity.

D

Deleted member

I mean, mostly it's a shame that the game just wasn't popular and never reached its potential. It was cool and different, but not necessarily good. The game hardly exists in America and will never receive a sequel... it's just not a series that represents Nintendo.
Never say never. After all, N-Space is interested in reviving the franchise.
And with Nintendo's being a bit more open about Mature titles (they were the ones that made Bayonetta 2 a reality), Geist being revived for this new generation would be a reasonable step.
I mean, the game is rather tame compared to say, Eternal Darkness.

But yeah, Tabuu. It would not be the first time a name got changed like that. Majin Buu comes to mind. (Buu is "Boo" in Japan).

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It'd be a much better rapper name than a villain name.

OH SNAP, after saying that, I decided to look it up! It IS a rapper's name! Augh.

Anyway again... I think I would prefer they make a new villain that has a more interesting design and role in the series. Also, design him/her/it so it makes more sense for them to be playable.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Now that I think about it, would the plot of the SSE have been any different if it turned out the villain was Marx from Super Star all along?

That said Tabuu has some untapped potential. Wonder if he'll return.

D

Deleted member

Now that I think about it, would the plot of the SSE have been any different if it turned out the villain was Marx from Super Star all along?

That said Tabuu has some untapped potential. Wonder if he'll return.
From a gameplay sense of what we've seen, no.
From an expanded storyline sense, yes it would be a lot different.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I think tabuu has --% chance of being ssb4. If he were added it would have nothing to do with popularity or relevance. If he were added it would just be because sakurai thought it was a cool thing to do. Like you can guess his likelihood, but you would be wrong it's a freaking paradox. It's actually quite unnerving.

I used to have this crazy idea for the story where it would take place right after brawl and it would start that after sonic shattered tabuu's wings the shards went all over trophy land and everyone who acquired the shards acquired a piece of tabuu's power. Many of the shards that were found by villains are used destructively and they start to scour the land for every shard to amass the shards into a huge stockpile where they would be granted tabuu's full subspace power. But it turns out tabuu had never died but was only weakened when you beat him in brawl. The heroes confront him a few times and he is bitter so he fights back but after time he realizes that the villains cannot handle the kind of power they possess so he stops fighting the heroes at least. Well then since the villains are a bunch of **** ups the accidentally tap their amassed shards power in a way that causes a rift in time and space that holds a powerful beast at the other end that plunges the whole trophyland into darkness. Needless to say the villains feel foolish and one by one decide they need to join with the heroes to stop the beast from completely destroying trophyland. When the team goes up against the beast they realize that they are still outmatched, but then tabuu comes and helps the team similar to how sonic helped except he is doing his own thing so he can't be used in the final battle. But after you win tabuu helps close the rift but he's still behind it when it closes so its sad and stuff. But after you get 100% in the story there is some cool cutscene with tabuu coming back and then you unlock him in story and regular mode.

So yeah...

Anyway if tabuu was a playable character it could at least make the story pretty cool, I'd be cool with it. And if you people just hate the idea of having a unique character remember that rob is technically the ancient minister who is an original character so LAWYERED.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, this could work. Make him Snake's size, maybe a bit smaller. I see no problem with an original Smash character in the games. It's not preferable but in Tabuu's case it isn't terrible either. I'd prefer him to GENERIC PRIMID or WIREFRAME DOUCHER

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Where in the world did smashpedia get that story for him, because it seemed more like nonsense to me

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't understand the negativity towards a smash Bros rep. The franchise has more than proven itself at this point.

That said I'm not sure about Tabuu, I didn't find him that interesting. A primid might be more interesting since we interacted with them more often in brawl.....even then I'm not sure if a worthy OC has been created yet. If there was one I'd be more than happy to see them playable.

I also don't think an OC character should be created just to be a playable character. They should serve another purpose (boss, enemy, npc) before being considered.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I not against Tabuu. I just don't really like him, but he can make an interesting Smash Bros rep (having a Primid would be like having a Koopa or an Octorok).

I think the only downside is the fact that his moveset would be limited, compared to his boss battle in Brawl. (But as stated in the first post, he would be weakened due to his battle in Brawl).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom