• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Joke Characters: Yes, No or **** No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It seems as fighting games try to establish themselves as things to be taken seriously the joke character has fallen to the wayside. It's a shame because I like the concept of a deliberately bad character being, in the hands of good players pwning cocky noobs. (I need a shower after all that leet speak.)

Pichu was often recognized as a joke character but there was one thing wrong with that label, he wasn't entertaining. He wasn't fun to use, he wasn't fun to beat up, the only way he could be considered funny is how pitiful it was. (Doubly so if he was intended as a serious character.)

Do you want Smash 4 to have a decent joke character? (If that makes sense) There's many characters that could fill that role: Magikarp, Tingle, a playable Primid.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
A joke character as in, one who looks comical but is actually a good fighter, or a purposefully bad character?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If it's the former, then Jigglypuff (at least in the first two smash) if it's the latter, then Pichu.

I would like to see more comical characters but still decent fighters though.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If it's comical, then Tingle, Waluigi or Primid will do.
I don't want a purposefully bad character, even as a last minute clone. :/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
What about Jimmy T? He'd be pretty funny to play as if he fights while dancing. :laugh:

But yeah, they shouldn't make them purposely bad.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
A joke character as in, one who looks comical but is actually a good fighter, or a purposefully bad character?
The 2nd definition. The first one refers to a "Fighting Clown", which is a different thing. Though there is occasionally overlap between the two.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Even the king of the Joke Fighters (See what I did there), DAN HIBIKI had a few tricks up his sleeve. For one, his Ultra Combo had crazy priority so if he executed it at the right time he could out do even Akuma.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Now that I think about it, adding a joke character can be problematic.

People will whine about how he got in instead of a more deserving character. Also, if that character has no reason be unnecessarily weak, then it will lead more hate.

Fighting Clowns are better options.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I never even heard of the term "Fighting Clown" before. But I guess it sorta makes sense if we consider the likes of Tingle, Waluigi and Jimmy T since I would imagine they would probably all fight in a silly manner.

Wait, doesn't that make Wario the Fighting Clown of Brawl? :o

D

Deleted member

A fully pathetic Joke Character? No thanks.

A Lethal Joke Character and/or Fighting Clown? Hell yeah. This is where Tingle would fit best. Tingle is stated to not be the best fighter around (which is why he needs Bodyguards in Rosy Rupeeland), so for him to have plenty of weak attacks (with possibly some decent or great Specials, depending on which works better), yet can easily (and humiliatingly) kick an opponent's ass if the player knows what they are doing would be perfect.
Essentially the Hercule (Budokai style) of Smash Bros. is how I can see it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You should have saw my face when i found out R.O.B was in brawl...
So, you didn't like his inclusion?

I was very happy when he was revealed. He was one of my favourites in Mario Kart DS, and I got really excited about him. He's one of my secondaries.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
So, you didn't like his inclusion?

I was very happy when he was revealed. He was one of my favourites in Mario Kart DS, and I got really excited about him. He's one of my secondaries.
You know what i see why tgey added him and he is a all-star and he deserves/has right to be in Smash no doubt but it was a Big WTF to me..and when he was in MKDS...i really wished shy guy was...(properly...)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just add Pichu back in. :troll:

With a few buffs of course.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think Pichu is very fun to play as...

Anyway, I'm all for joke characters, so long as they deserve to be playable and being portrayed as a joke fits with their character. Starfy, for example. A very self-deprecating character in-universe, but still a capable fighter, so he could be a lethal joke character in Smash. He could appear weak at first glance, but be highly capable when used correctly.

D

Deleted member

I want Pichu back as Smash 4's joke character. Always liked him in Melee.

I also wouldn't mind Tingle getting in as Smash 4's joke character. The role seems very fitting for him.

D

Deleted member

Can't think of any, but Jigglypuff and Pichu were joke characters in 64 and Melee respectively.
Everyone though Jigglypuff was a joke, but her rest is an instant kill attack. Jigglypuff was eventually toned down for balancing reasons.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I always thought that Luigi was always a fighting clown in the Smash games as every Smash he's been on there's always been weird animations/moves, "2nd banana" jokes, and acting like a total wuss/weirdo (stuff never this exaggerated in the Mario games). Heck his voice clips in 64 & Melee were nothing but recycled Super Mario 64 soundbytes sped up.

But I can see Wario & Mr. Game & Watch being fighting clowns too.

Would I like to see more such characters? Sure, unless they're intentionally weak/bad.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I want Tingle for Smash 4, so the answer is yes.

He can be a whacky character with a weird moveset but still being a viable character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Should we open a thread called "Potential Fighting Clown's for smash 4" or something? So that the confusion can be lifted a bit? Then again, I think we've already listed all the potential Fighting Clowns here already... :/

Ove

Smash Journeyman
That's not a joke character.
Then I guess I just want a peculiar character for the roster...

If the definition of a joke character is a purposely bad character, then I am still for.

Smash is one of those games that can be enjoyed by everyone, independently of skill level. I find the additional humiliation that bad characters bring quite satisfying.

If someone doesn't like bad characters, then you always have the option to choose another one...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Should we open a thread called "Potential Fighting Clown's for smash 4" or something? So that the confusion can be lifted a bit? Then again, I think we've already listed all the potential Fighting Clowns here already... :/
Would probably be better to rename the thread "Potential Joke Characters/Fighting Clowns thread" or something similar.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We'll get joke characters and unexpected characters every time. I doubt we'd do good speculating about it, since we'll never guess these additions right anyway. :laugh:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's go over the definitions according to TVTropes

* Joke Character: A character that's subpar for the sake of comedy. (Dan Hibiki, MVC Roll)
* Fighting Clown: A character that fights in weird ways but is otherwise as effective as the rest fo the cast, if not moreso. (Voldo)
* Lethal Joke Character: A joke character that either has one hidden strength or has a hidden/hard to master playstyle. (MVC Roll can duck most attacks, Dan's supers in certain games can out-prioritize anything despite their low damage.)

Vaati

Smash Rookie
I prefer that they concentrate on usable characters. I consider joke characters a waste of time.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well so far we had:

64 - Jigglypuff
Melee - Pichu and arguable Game & Watch
Brawl - Arguably ROB was the joke character for this game

So picking for Smash 4 and looking at some of the ideas, the following maybe an option:

1. Tingle
2. Mii
3. Waluigi
4. Primid
5. Duck Hunt Dog - likely farfetched

Out of that group, Mii seems to me the most likely. The Miis will likely have a crazy moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom