• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

East Coast Elites Feedback!

AmKhokar

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone!
This is a thread dedicated to feedback and suggestions for future East Coast Elites Monthly Tournaments. I'm still pretty inexperienced as a TO for the Smash community, so any suggestions, tips, general advice, or feedback is greatly appreciated.

The purpose of this thread should be limited to:

-Feedback (both negative and positive) on the most recent ECE event.

-Suggestions for future ECE events.

-Advice / tips for organizing and running tournaments efficiently (how to make things run more smoothly, things to do before tourney day, etc)

-Discussion of any suggestions brought up in this thread.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
>East Coast

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this (I'm bad with forums), but I noticed you guys have tournaments around the UVA area (aka Charlottesville) and I only live less than 2 hours away from there. I'm also an Atlantic/Virginia player who wants to go competitive, so... I suppose this is the proper time to lurk around?

EastCoastEddie

Smash Journeyman
Overall it was run pretty well so thanks a lot for throwing these together! The the venue was accommodating and things ran pretty smooth and fast. I haven't been to some of the other ones where maybe Brawl had a bigger showing so I'm not sure how they would run. Since smashboards was down for this one, it makes sense that it wasn't as organized but I would suggest starting earlier next time. (or at least plan on starting on time in case you get a strong showing).

I don't think you have the room to run a successful 3 game tournament in one day. I would suggest trying to keep it at two games and after it's over you can do fun stuff like crew battles or other side tournies if people are interested. You can even experiment with round robins or swiss bracket. Overall you just have more flexibility when you start early. Seems like you guys have a lot of people down there who are new to the competitive scene and are interested in improving which is good.

In general I just don't really like 3 game tournies, but it could be just me though. I just see too much waiting for people too finish matches if they are in all tournies. For what it's worth, I would suggest running Project M/Brawl or Project M/Melee side by side.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
>East Coast

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this (I'm bad with forums), but I noticed you guys have tournaments around the UVA area (aka Charlottesville) and I only live less than 2 hours away from there. I'm also an Atlantic/Virginia player who wants to go competitive, so... I suppose this is the proper time to lurk around?
Instead of lurking, try to make it out to the next one. :)

AmKhokar

Smash Journeyman
Heeroyuy, here's the link for the monthly thread I host in c-ville: http://smashboards.com/threads/east-coast-elites-monthly-march-23rd-2013-charlottesville-va.331349/page-7#post-15354558
Subscribe if you'd like updates ^_^

Eddie, I appreciate the feedback. Generally, the tourneys do start earlier, but I ended up delaying the starts (more than usual) because I was pretty surprised at the lack of Brawl showing. Usually there are pretty equal numbers for Brawl and Melee, so I figured because SWF was down and not many people had the schedule on memory that people would arrive late and the turnout would equal out eventually. There was just a lot of bad luck this time around with the SWF server transfer taking longer than expected n all. In the future, I'll be more on point with staying on schedule.
I do think we have the room for a 3 game tourney. There was a strong demand for PM to be added, so I'm going to stick with it for a bit. If it happens to become a big hassle, I'll consider going back to just Melee and Brawl ^_^
Why do you think PM / Melee or PM / Brawl should be run side by side? My reason for doing Melee and Brawl together is because fewer people enter both of these tourneys and it doesn't slow down the progression of either tourney as much as I believe running PM / Melee or PM / Brawl side by side would.

Pokemongeof, if you fly me and the rest of the MD/VA scene out to NJ , find us a place to live, and pay for our living expenses, I'll happily host in NJ =p

EastCoastEddie

Smash Journeyman
Eddie, I appreciate the feedback. Generally, the tourneys do start earlier, but I ended up delaying the starts (more than usual) because I was pretty surprised at the lack of Brawl showing. Usually there are pretty equal numbers for Brawl and Melee, so I figured because SWF was down and not many people had the schedule on memory that people would arrive late and the turnout would equal out eventually. There was just a lot of bad luck this time around with the SWF server transfer taking longer than expected n all. In the future, I'll be more on point with staying on schedule.
I do think we have the room for a 3 game tourney. There was a strong demand for PM to be added, so I'm going to stick with it for a bit. If it happens to become a big hassle, I'll consider going back to just Melee and Brawl ^_^
Why do you think PM / Melee or PM / Brawl should be run side by side? My reason for doing Melee and Brawl together is because fewer people enter both of these tourneys and it doesn't slow down the progression of either tourney as much as I believe running PM / Melee or PM / Brawl side by side would.
Ah, that's a good point about reducing the amount of people entering multiple tournaments, hadn't thought of it from a logistics standpoint.

I was thinking Project M makes for a better pairing because it would increase the amount of entrants since I think it could have more mass appeal if it gets more exposure and hopefully eventually create a stronger tie between all smash communities since there are good elements from all of them.

No worries on the delays. They were completely understandable under the circumstances. Just wanted to through that out there since a lot of tournies I go to run late because they start late. It still ended up being run in a timely manner from what I saw.

Top Bottom