• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Protagonist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
I know that it is a longshot. But Monster Hunter is one of my favorite video game series of all time, and to see him in the game would be BEYOND awesome!

He has tons of weapons and weapon types so a movelist would be no issue. He has the following weapons, to name a few:

Great Sword - Slow, strong and big. It could be a decent down special to where he does a low horizontal slash

Long sword - Moderate speed, moderate damage and long range (although I think that this would not really fit in a moveset)

Switch Axe - A cool weapon to where it is part Great Sword and part Sword and Long sword hybrid thingy. It also has some cool status effects it can use via the phial feature.

Dual Swords - Very small but quick. It also has a lunging move so it could be a side special of sorts.

Sword and Shield - He could pull it out to defend with, and the sword part would be purely aesthetic.

Hammer - Side smash anyone?

Hunting Horn - This weapon is used in-game to give buffs. You would put in various notes and based on the notes played you get a buff. This could be interesting.

Light and Heavy bowguns - They could be the neutral special. A low power shot would be shot with the light bowgun, but power shots would be shot by the heavy bowgun. There are also different types of shots. Sleeping shots, paralyze shots, power shots to boost strength and point shots! So it could also be incorporated into a throw.

Bow - Same as above, only it looks like a more traditional bow.

The hunter also has different traps and bomvs that he aets around. He has shock traps that stun if stepped on, pitfall traps which makes enemies fall in when stepped on. As for bombs he has bombs that are small, large and even bombs that bounce!

No shortage of moves, and the Monster Hunter Protagonist just looks badass in general.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I think having the monster hunter protagonist wouldn't be a very good idea, simply because he's too generic. I think the best Monster Hunter rep would be an actual monster from the game, Rathalos would be the best option imo.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
They are far too big. And as for generic that is an invalid point. If Monster Hunter Protagonist is generic then that means almost all of the character for the Smash games are very bland and generic.

Plus, having.him in the game would boost knowledge of MH is the west GREATLY!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They are far too big. And as for generic that is an invalid point. If Monster Hunter Protagonist is generic then that means almost all of the character for the Smash games are very bland and generic.

Plus, having.him in the game would boost knowledge of MH is the west GREATLY!
How is being generic an invalid point?

The main problems with a MH protagonist are:
1. He gets in the way of Megaman.
2. They are generic.
3. Everyone is different IIRC. What model would they base it off of?
4. It's obscure outside of Japan.

Also Monster Hunter monster is too big! Ridley has a drinking buddy. :p

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
A lot of the cast is generic as it is. Most characters in fighting games are. You have generic punch and kick characters, sword characters etc.

They could base it off of the Brachydios since it is the flagship monster for MH3U.

As for getting in the way of Megaman, even though I love Megaman I do not mind. I would prefer MH protagonist.

Aa for it being obscure outside of Japan. No duh! But so what? Is it wrong for a publisher to try and get the name of a franchise out to a broader audience? Now THAT is an invalid point! Lol

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
Personally I think a Monster Hunter would be an interesting if rather vague addition to the cast. A solution for what model to bast the character off of would be to give it quite a few different costumes, perhaps three, with one color variation each. I don't think being generic is too much of an issue, and obscurity? I had no idea what Mother was until after Super Smash Bros introduced it to me, or Fire Emblem, for that matter. Super Smash Bros is a way to unite the interests of East and West and reinvigorate some older titles, like Kid Icarus.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Being generic is never an Issue. And having different armor sets for alt costumes would be awesome, I have been toying with that idea myself.

And I did not know what Mother was until Smash Bros as well.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I think it's a fantastic idea.

How is being generic an invalid point?

The main problems with a MH protagonist are:
1. He gets in the way of Megaman.
2. They are generic.
3. Everyone is different IIRC. What model would they base it off of?
4. It's obscure outside of Japan.
1. In what way? If anything, Megaman gets in the way of Samus :/ c'mon now
2. I would agree that there isn't a real frontman for the series, but all you need is a male and female "colors" and I don't think anyone would care that there's not a real name for them. Hell, if anyone is considering Mii, then they have to throw Hunters a bone.
3. Here's my main reason for why I think they'd be a great fit. It's really exactly what OP is talking about, they whip out one of a huge number of weapons for any one of their moves. They'd be fun. I don't think anyone would really care about what armor they're wearing. They could just use the avatar of the guy on the cover of the game and they're good.
4. Obscure hasn't stopped them from using characters before. Mr. Game&Watch? Pit? ROB? Before these guys made their appearances, I bet 90% of players didn't even know who they were. Monster Hunter games have been released in the US for years. I think now would be the perfect time for an appearance. It's both following and preceding American releases

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think it's a fantastic idea.

1. In what way? If anything, Megaman gets in the way of Samus :/ c'mon now
2. I would agree that there isn't a real frontman for the series, but all you need is a male and female "colors" and I don't think anyone would care that there's not a real name for them. Hell, if anyone is considering Mii, then they have to throw Hunters a bone.
3. Here's my main reason for why I think they'd be a great fit. It's really exactly what OP is talking about, they whip out one of a huge number of weapons for any one of their moves. They'd be fun. I don't think anyone would really care about what armor they're wearing. They could just use the avatar of the guy on the cover of the game and they're good.
4. Obscure hasn't stopped them from using characters before. Mr. Game&Watch? Pit? ROB? Before these guys made their appearances, I bet 90% of players didn't even know who they were. Monster Hunter games have been released in the US for years. I think now would be the perfect time for an appearance. It's both following and preceding American releases
1. How does Megaman get in the way of Samus? I say the Megaman gets in the way of MHC because they are both made by Capcom and they would likely choose Megaman or even Ryu before even considering a MHC.
2. I don't consider Mii to be honest.
3. Fair enough.
4. But for a 3rd Party series, obscure is bad. Especially when other more popular series are wanted.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
1. Oh I see what you mean. I thought you meant like because they'd have too similar of movesets. I bring up Samus only because of the whole arm gun thing. (MH aside, I still think Megaman is a bad idea)

4. Like I said, the situation was the same or even worse for certain characters that made it in already. Their tendency has been fan service balanced with appeasing the obscure.
I think it would turn out well

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
lol I had a dream years ago I was playing as my Monster Hunter in Brawl, wielding a large hammer. He played similar to Ike..

But yeah, I'm afraid this is unlikely to happen for obvious reasons. It would be nice to have a stage based on the MH franchise as a nice little cameo.

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
How about having Cha Cha or a Feline as a playable character? I think that's the best way to have a Character. They could use the weapons from the main protagonist.

Groose

Smash Champion
Also Monster Hunter monster is too big! Ridley has a drinking buddy. :p

What about Kraid and K. Rool?

I think that a Monster Hunter protagonist would be interesting... but as others have said, what would the design look like? There just isn't an iconic look to them, you know?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/223394-...-mac-and-who-they-want-to-see-join-the-roster

Since Japan doesn't seem too interested in Little Mac, just who do they want in the game? You can see some often-requested characters below.
Paper Mario
Nick / Captain Rainbow
Monster Hunter
Lucina
Dixie
Daisy
Waluigi
Shulk
It's interesting on how Monster Hunter seems to be highly requested in Japan for Smash Bros. 4.
I think this might give the hunter some sort of edge, even for a 2nd Capcom character.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768

Mega Dunsparce

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3695-1145-1866
That's because it's only been done once.

Anyway, Monster Hunter Tri is a good game, but I'll wait until the 5th installment.

Who the heck is Captain Rainbow?
Well he is some sort of weird rainbow super man guy from the game Captain Rainbow! well that took a while to type but you got the super rainybowy effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom