• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GDX & Next Level LAN Present: 5 Dollar Footdives - SBO Frontier Edition

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
-= GDX and Next Level Lan Presents =-​

Kid, UR Bad (aka KUB)

This is an SBO Style tournament, with the addition of 2-stock brawl singles. Please read below for details

5 Dollar Footdives Pre-reg is available here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFEyZ1lYcVVzOFg0NElvV05qV0lLelE6MQ#gid=0

Facebook Event Page: http://www.facebook.com/events/462693113751136/

SBO Style?

Click Here for an excellent breakdown of the format by D-Torr

SBO style is a ruleset that is used for particular Japanese FGC tournaments. For this tournament, it will go as follows:
SBO style is 2vs2 teams, so find a teammate
Player 1 of each team plays each other in a set
Then player 2 of each team plays each other in a set
If both players of the same team win their match, then they advance. If one player from each team wins their game, then the winners of both games will play each other in a set as a tiebreaker.
This SBO style tournaments will be double elimination
If a game does not have at least 6 teams of people, it will convert back to a regular singles bracket

Location & Time:

Venue opens: 11AM

Start Times (Doors open at 11am):
SBO Brawl doubles: 12pm noon
SBO Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3: 2pm
SBO AEv2012 & 2-stock Brawl Singles: 4pm
SBO Persona: 6pm

Registration for every game will end 15 minutes before Brawl doubles, and 30 minutes before all other events. Things will actually start on time (or as close to humanly possible on time as a videogame tournament can be). If you do not think you will get here before registration ends for a game, have someone sign you up, or let me know well before the time limit so I can put you in myself.

Next Level Lan
University Corporate Center
6947 Univeristy Blvd.
Winter Park, FL 32792
407-923-5883

NLL is in the middle of the chain of businesses with the big "X" on the banner of the store. Just check where a bunch of cars are. Parking allowed in rear (lol).

Coming off 417 (toll road):

Get off at the exit for the University of Central Florida, University Blvd.
Go straight down university heading for Full Sail. NLL is in the plaza on the right side of the street at the intersection of University Blvd and Forsyth Trail.

Coming off 408 (toll road):

Get off at the exit for the University of Central Florida - You stay on 408 till it literally turns into Challenger Parkway. Stay on Challenger Parkway until you reach the intersection of Challenger and Alafaya Tr.

Hang a right on Alafaya Tr.

Contiune on Alafaya Tr. until you reach the intersection of University and Alafaya. Turn left here and go down University until you reach the same area described in the 408 directions.

See Next Level LAN website at www.NextLevelLAN.com

Food:

Snacks and Food Available for Purchase at Next Level LAN (stock permitting)

- Pepsi Products (Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, Teas, Juices, and more)
- Monster
- Vitamin Water
- Starbucks Frapachinos
- Chips (Lays Products)
- Candy (Lots of different Candy Bars, Airheads, etc etc)
- Moon pies, brownies, Etc.
- THERE IS A DRINKING FOUNTAIN.

Also located near our Plaza is:

Burger King
Pollo Tropical
Dunkin Doughnuts
Perkins
Taco Bell
McDonald's
Orlando Alehouse
Chinese food
Steak n Shake
...and more

Yes, you are allowed to bring outside food and drink into the store. Just dispose of it!

Cost:

Being 5 Dollar Footdives, you can imagine that everything is $5 each:

Door Fee: $5

Brawl doubles: $5
Brawl singles: $5
Persona: $5
UMVC3: $5
Arcade Edition v2012: $5

If there are 16 or more entrants (teams), payout percentages are as follows:
Singles Payouts B: 50/25/15/10
If there are 8-15 entrants, payouts will be 60/30/10
If there are 6 or 7 entrants, payouts will be 75/25

100% of the pot will go back out to the players. Absolutely no pot **** of any kind. You pay the door fee once, no matter how many games you enter. Spectating is free, but friendlies/casuals will always have to be stopped immediately for tourney matches when necessary

If you would like to play on the PCs within the computer portion of NLL, you will still have to pay for hours.

Rules:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

BRAWL RULES:
Rules= Stock
Stock = 3 for SBO style, 2 for regular singles
Handicap = Off
Damage Ratio = 1.0
Friendly Fire = On
Self-destruct = -1
Items = Off

Both tournaments are Double Elimination as well as best two out of three. Winners/Losers finals for SBO style will be 2/3 as well, with Grand Finals being 3/5. For two stock brawl, it will continue to be 3/5 for winners, losers, AND grand finals.

Apex Stagelist, and MK Banned

Neutral Stages:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
-Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages:
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Siege
-Frigate Orpheon
-Battleship Halberd
-Pokemon Stadium 1

FGC Games General Rules:
All matches are Double Elimination, best 2 out of 3 matches
Pool play will be incorporated for any tournament with more than 128 entries
You may request Blind Pick
No turbo buttons allowed for any games
This is a BYOC (bring your own controller/converter or joystick) event
Equipment malfunctions that pause/reset matches may result in game/match losses at the discretion of the tournament director
All dipswitch settings set to default when applicable
Grand Finals are all 3 out of 5 matches (Winners and Losers are 2/3, unless marvel which is always 3/5)
All FGC games for all weeks will be played on XBOX 360

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3:

All matches are 3 out of 5
Galactus Mode is banned from tournament play
No game breaking glitches allowed
Winner keeps same starting character, but can switch order of assists
You may not use the same character twice on the same team
Random stage selection unless both players agree on a stage
All characters are tournament legal, including Jill and Shuma Gorath

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition Version 2012:
Default settings. 2 out of 3 games. At either player’s request, matches will be played on the training stage. This request must be made before the match starts. Loser may change character/ultra. Winner may change ultra after the loser changes characters, but before he selects his ultra.

setups:

Setups are definitely going to be necessary. I am able to provide a full setup for XBOX 360. If you have a setup, or at least part of a setup, please bring it. Next Level Lan has some CRT tvs that aren't being used, so bring everything you can. I will have a disc of every game aside from the single consoles as well. This being Florida, I can imagine the 360 setups are much easier to produce.

For those who do bring a full setup for any game (tv/monitor and system), you will get free door fee for the first 4 full setups (first 2 wii and first 2 xbox)

Misc Notes:
I will be putting the brackets on paper for every game. If someone could assist me with running a bracket for a game I may either not play, or may be busy with something else, it would be greatly appreciated.

Any questions/comments/concerns feel free to post in here or AIM me at GameDragonX. If you get lost you can give me a call at 863-934-2355. you can also hit me up on Facebook under Keith Kelly

For future updates for tourneys, please join the SSHQ page: http://www.facebook.com/groups/457864240898958/. Also join the CFL Smashers facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/192371940793107 and/or the Orlando Fighting Game Community Group (ask for invite) http://www.facebook.com/groups/173259156033912

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Everyone may not like this one, as its alittle weird, but it should be pretty fun nontheless. I know im excited :laugh:

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Luis I'm gonna implore you to read the OP fully. I have the feeling something has been missed

:phone:

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Just to let you guys know, doubles for this tourney may not be what you think it is. I know you guys don't read so I'm gonna highlight this important information from the OP.

GDX & Next Level LAN Present: 5 Dollar Footdives - SBO Frontier Edition said:
SBO Style?
SBO style is a ruleset that is used for particular Japanese FGC tournaments. For this tournament, it will go as follows:
SBO style is 2vs2 teams, so find a teammate
Player 1 of each team plays each other in a set
Then player 2 of each team plays each other in a set
If both players of the same team win their match, then they advance. If one player from each team wins their game, then the winners of both games will play each other in a set as a tiebreaker.
This SBO style tournaments will be double elimination

SBO style (or correctly named Waseda Style) is an interesting team concept to say the least and one I think fits great for Brawl due to it's counterpick nature. GDX pretty said everything that needed to be said but I'm gonna break it down a little more visually.

Each team will have 2 players (SBO/Waseda Style isn't limited to 2 players for teams, just using 2 since that's what will be done for Brawl doubles).

-- Team A -- vs. -- Team B --

Player A1 vs. Player B1
Player A2 vs. Player B2

These 2 matches are guaranteed to happen. First team to win 2 games advances on.

Ex.

Player A1 defeats Player B1
Player A2 defeats Player B2
Team A wins

Player A1 loses to Player B1
Player A2 loses to Player B2
Team B wins

A third and final game is determined if one player from each team wins a game.

Ex.

Player A1 defeats Player B1
Player A2 loses to Player B2
Player A1 vs Player B2

Player A1 loses to Player B1
Player A2 defeats Player B2
Player A2 vs Player B1

SBO/Waseda Style tourneys are usually character lock throughout the entire tourney but I'm not sure how GDX is gonna do it. However, one thing that's for sure is that whatever characters you pick for your set are locked.

Ex.

Player A1 (:dk2:) defeats Player B1 (:peach:)
Player A2 (:snake:) loses to Player B2 (:dedede:)
Player A1 (:dk2:) vs. Player B2 (:dedede:)

GDX did confirm that character lock is for the entire tourney. I bring this up because it's important for you guys to find partners who you can trust. Decisions like who goes first or who anchors can be the factor between winning and losing. Make sure you choose partners that can cover for you and vice versa. Not trying to deter people who are having trouble finding a partner or people who just enter teams with anybody. Just letting you guys know the details so in case you get salty, all you can do is hold that.

-- EDIT --

IMPORTANT

SBO BRAWL DOUBLES IS CHARACTER LOCKED FOR THE WHOLE TOURNEY

EXEMPTIONS*

Zelda/Sheik - :zelda: :sheik: :sheilda:
Pokemon Trainer - :pt: :squirtle: :ivysaur: :charizard:
Samus** - :samus2: (can transform to ZSS*** :zerosuitsamus:)

* - Locked to Character type (Locked to Zelda/Sheik or PT or Samus -> ZSS, cannot choose between the 3 types once notifying character selection to TO)
** - Must start match as Samus
*** - ZSS cannot transform back into Samus without the use of a Smash Ball which is banned. Starting with ZSS locks you to ZSS.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Thanks for the visual breakdown David. When I'm not on my phone ill add it to the OP

Also guess I missed it, its character locked for the entire tourney ill be writing down your choice and if you use anyone else its auto loss. Characters that can transform are exempt (shielda, pokemon trainer, samus -> zss)

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
OK I'll add the character locked characters with postbits to my post. Quick question though concerning ZSS. Since she can't turn back like the others, anyone who enters as ZSS is locked as ZSS correct?

Noa.

Smash Master
Sbo style sounds interesting. Does the person who goes first and the one who anchors have to stay consistent throughout the whole tourney? Or can we switch between matches? SBO reminds me just a bit of crew battles. Except you don't keep your stocks and you just move on to the next person.

And I've always wanted to try two stock brawl. These seem like fun ways of making the tourney shorter.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Sbo style sounds interesting. Does the person who goes first and the one who anchors have to stay consistent throughout the whole tourney? Or can we switch between matches? SBO reminds me just a bit of crew battles. Except you don't keep your stocks and you just move on to the next person.

And I've always wanted to try two stock brawl. These seem like fun ways of making the tourney shorter.

You only move on to the next person if your partner lost their match and you won or vice-versa. As such, it would be fairly redundant to switch the order since the only thing that it affects is the initial standing.

Noa.

Smash Master
You only move on to the next person if your partner lost their match and you won or vice-versa. As such, it would be fairly redundant to switch the order since the only thing that it affects is the initial standing.
I'm not quite sure if you understand what I mean.

You move on if you win two matches, whether it be both partners winning their match or one partner winning a match and the tie breaker. If you do either of those two things then you move on.

That doesn't have to do with my question though. I'm asking that between sets, after you defeat one team and before you have to face another, can we switch the order we go in. This would mostly deal with counter picking and mindgames against teams of similar skill level.

For example:

Lets say Team A is a Peach player and an Olimar player, and Team B is a Snake player and an Icies player. If the Peach player faces the Snake player and they're of similar skill level, then Peach would probably lose, and the same would happen to Olimar against Icies. However If Olimar faced Snake and Peach faced Icies, Team A would have a much better chance.

Then switching the order could help you. Of course there are mindgames and maybe the other team will also switch so that you face the bad matchups. We'll see though. I was just wondering.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I'm not quite sure if you understand what I mean.

You move on if you win two matches, whether it be both partners winning their match or one partner winning a match and the tie breaker. If you do either of those two things then you move on.

That doesn't have to do with my question though. I'm asking that between sets, after you defeat one team and before you have to face another, can we switch the order we go in. This would mostly deal with counter picking and mindgames against teams of similar skill level.

For example:

Lets say Team A is a Peach player and an Olimar player, and Team B is a Snake player and an Icies player. If the Peach player faces the Snake player and they're of similar skill level, then Peach would probably lose, and the same would happen to Olimar against Icies. However If Olimar faced Snake and Peach faced Icies, Team A would have a much better chance.

Then switching the order could help you. Of course there are mindgames and maybe the other team will also switch so that you face the bad matchups. We'll see though. I was just wondering.
I was saying that there isn't an order; both players are supposed to play simultaneously. Like you said though, the other team would be able to switch.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I'll make it easy, since I'm 80% sure people will forget their exact order if I make it position locked. Then integrity of particular matches would be lost, and it would be a giant headache

So the teams at the start of the match would decide who goes first. If they dont automatically agree/decide or want the advantage, the team who picks second will be determined by general brawl port rules (9 hammer, highest number, RPS, coin flip, etc.)

obviously the FGC games will only be able to use RPS or coin flip

Edit: once that is all settled out, then what Tony said is true (both people playing their designated person simultaneously)

True Blue

Smash Lord
Man PIE where were you? I was hoping to see you there! But all that was there was Payne and KDB... I didn't want to talk to any of them. lol jk. But I want to do a friendly team challenge with you against KDB and Payne. Or whoever KDB wants to team with, probably Jazz.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
I couldn't go @__@ I'm mad how I can never go to a tournament that, by coincidence, has either shaky in attendance, or has a big turnout. It's as if life searches for an excuse the most frantically around those times >.<

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
I'll be teaming with Blizz for this.
I mean I'd love to team with a different brawl bro but I'd hate to leave him to get stuck with some random kid and have a terrible time losing every game.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I got it covered already; No fear of forgetting how this works. I like this and I wanna try it.

2 stock singles sounds good too.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
So if I understand this right, regular singles (2-stock) and SBO will be 2 different tournaments? Or are we still deciding which one we all want out of the 2?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
two separate tournaments

I gotta find someone to carry me in AE teams. and someone to carry in SBO Brawl

True Blue

Smash Lord
Lol GDX. I wish I knew exactly if Ryo would be able to come with me to this cause then I would ask you if you wanted to team lol. Carry me all day, I'm light. lol

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
The only event not character locked is Brawl Singles. All the Waseda Style events are character locked. I hate saying SBO now lol.

Jeff, take note that there is an exemption for Brawl Teams. I'll copypasta it here from an earlier post of mine.

IMPORTANT

SBO BRAWL DOUBLES IS CHARACTER LOCKED FOR THE WHOLE TOURNEY

EXEMPTIONS*

Zelda/Sheik - :zelda: :sheik: :sheilda:
Pokemon Trainer - :pt: :squirtle: :ivysaur: :charizard:
Samus** - :samus2: (can transform to ZSS*** :zerosuitsamus:)

* - Locked to Character type (Locked to Zelda/Sheik or PT or Samus -> ZSS, cannot choose between the 3 types once notifying character selection to TO)
** - Must start match as Samus
*** - ZSS cannot transform back into Samus without the use of a Smash Ball which is banned. Starting with ZSS locks you to ZSS.

Top Bottom