• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.6 Ledge Option Buffering Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I don't know if this exists in other versions since I never really needed to utilize ledge buffering w/ c-stick before, but here goes:

Title of the bug: Ledge Option Buffering + Control Stick Input always causes ledge attack
Version found in: 3.6b (Homebrew)

Hardware you are running: Homebrew Wii
Loading Method: USB Loader GX & PM Launcher
Details: When holding ANY control stick direction, every c-stick input creates a ledge attack instead of the ledge option assigned to the direction. i.e. holding control stick back and hitting c-stick back, up, and down all produce the ledge attack. This problem remains if the c-stick is set to smash, attack, or special as well. I tried this same thing in Melee and it creates similar problems, but not the same problems: in Melee, c-stick back and down do nothing, while up does a ledge attack and forward does the normal ledge roll. It's probably something to do with the macro inputs from the c-stick causing this: any input performed by a c-stick set to attack will do a get-up attack (this should get fixed/changed too btw! was present in 3.02 and 3.5 as well), so it's at least related to that—or at least that's what I assume is the case.
Attachments: This problem is difficult to show purely through video capture alone, given the inability to clearly demonstrate the inputs.

Custom Content: None

Last edited:

$heen

Smash Ace
You can blame brawl for this one. They removed c-stick functionality because they had to homogenize (dumb down) controller inputs so people could play on wiimotes. When you c-stick in brawl, it literally just inputs a direction + A for 1 frame. That's why you couldn't c stick dsmash while holding down.

When you're on a ledge, the game doesn't trigger an action unless you move the control stick from the center to an edge, so if you move from an edge to an edge, nothing happens. That's why you can rotate the control stick or move from one end to the other in frame advance without letting go. When you c-stick, the game overwrites your control stick location for 1 frame and presses the A button. Since the control stick isn't moving from a center to an edge, it skips that part and registers the A button, no matter what direction you're pressing. Also if you hold a direction and the A button, then the c-stick doesn't trigger anything at all.

tl;dr - blame wiimotes

cisyphus

Smash Ace
:( :( :( that's super lame. Thanks for the quick reply though! Guess I'll just have to get super good at my ledge tech.

Is that also why it seems impossible to up smash OOS with attack stick?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom