• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucario Shrine

kaid

Smash Master

We have achieved our objective. Now let us turn to those in need. Many have heard the rumors that Lucario is in some way a Mewtwo replacement. I find this an intolorable sediment, as they deserve to be rivals and nemisis in Subspace Emisary.

Let us now put our faith in Sakurai, that he did not remove Mewtwo, just as he did not remove Ness.

Movie Download: (Japaneese w/ Subtitles): (BitTorrent File)

Youtube, english version, part 1. *broken*

Youtube clip: Lucario using powers and fighting.

Type: Wild gameplay: http://youtube.com/watch?v=g-W7BDBB0uU

xianfeng said:
1. Is the pokemon unique? We don't want another electric rat or another puffball etc. etc. we want some one who could bring a unique fighting style

Lucario
Jumping: *****
Weight: ***
Speed: ***
Traction: ****

B: Aura Sphere. Chargable, but NOT storable... a ranged Flare Blade, essentially. Possiby aimable, and moves FAST. Minimum charge time at least 1/2 a second.

^:Hi Jump Kick. An aimable flying knee-kick that covers as much distance as G&W's recovery. Unless sweetspotted, Lucario takes 3-5% on landing. Think the Pokeball Hitmonlee from Smash 64.

>B: Feint- An attack that deals 1 damage, and has no stun to the target(Fox blaster-type no stun) but instantly shatters shields.

vB: Inner Focus. While held, all attacks on Lucario are treated like phantom hits. (no knockback, 50% damage) Activation and lag time are comparable to Fox's reflector, and like Reflector, remains active for as long as it is held)

Nair: Doublekick
Uair: Sky Uppercut- Lucario does a spinning uppercut, like Mario's Uptilt.
Fair: Cross Chop- Lucario crosses his arms across his chest, then swipes out-and-down with both arms.
Bair: A backhand, with a sweetspot on his pawspike
Dair: drill kick

Usmash: Lucario forms a Ki ball over his head for a few moments. (Goku spirit-bomb position)
Fsmash: Vacuume wave. Lucario "hadokens" a very short ranged wave of void that knocks the opponent the "wrong" direction.
Dsmash: Two energy balls, launched at the ground on either side of him.

Dash attack: Bone Rush. A high damage multihit rush, like M2 w/ item.

A: Pallet Punch. Like gannondorf's but faster and less knockback.
ftilt: Blaze Kick (like N64 Captian Falcon, with flame effects)
utilt: Metal Claw. An upward claw swipe
dtilt: Low Kick. Self Explanitory

Grab a: Close Combat
Upthrow: Lucario bench presses the opponent, and throws them straight up. Short range.
Downthrow: Seismic Toss
Fthrow: Force Palm- Lucario concentrates, then launches a wave of invisible force foreward, launching the held opponent away. (think Star Wars EP 1-3)
Backthrow: A backward toss, like Marths. Very low trajectory (think Bowser's Klaw backthrow)

Taunt: "Hado-awari-ne-addy!" (Japaneese for "the wave is in me", which is his catchphrase from the movie.)
English Taunt: "The Aura is with me."

Wining pose 1: Stands right in front of the camera, closes his eyes and creates a small blue aura around him.
Wining pose 2: Charges up a wave engergy ball as big as Mewtwo's Shadow Ball.
Wining pose 3: Makes a rolling kick to the right, makes a rolling kick to the left(wich causes him to face you with his back) then turns around making a slash wich causes him to end like Bowser does in his winning pose with the 2 Koopa Claws.

Kirby Hat: Both sets of ears,

Or a simple hat,

Alternate costume 1: Changes the blue into Lightred
Alternate costume 2: Changes the blue into Lightgreen
Alternate costume 3: Changes the blue into Lightbrown
Alternate costume 4: Changes the blue into Lightpurple

[url=http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3383680&postcount=1938]Alternate moveset 1 (MysticKenji)

Poster provided info:

Lucario appears to be a fox based pokemon but it also physically resembles the egyptian god, Anubis, and his name is also similar to the egyptian city, Cairo. Lucario was one of the first introduced 4th generation pokemon, right after Munchlax. He became a very popular pokemon after his introduction even though information about him was scarce. When he starred in the 8th pokemon movie: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, his popularity increased even further. In this movie Lucario was able to comunicate as if by telepathy, making it the 5th non-legendary pokemon able to speak. People assumed Lucario was a legendary pokemon after seeing the movie because of Lucario's exceptional abilities and relationship with Mew, but when the 4th generation pokedex was released, it was revealed that Lucario was in fact non-legendary.

Lucario was revealed to have a pre-evolution, a pokemon named Rioru. The only way you will be able to obtain Lucario in Diamond/Pearl is by obtaining an egg of Rioru from an area in the game called Iron Island, from a trainer who resembles Auron from the movie. Lucario is a Steel/Fighting type, a unique type combination to Lucario, and these types, along with his energy moves, would be reasonable for a fighting game such as SSBB.

Lucario is classified as a Pulse type pokemon, and its classification matches its fighting style, as Lucario can learn every single move with Pulse in the name, however rare or powerful, from Dragon pulse and Dark pulse to Pulse Bomb and Water Pulse. In addition, Lucario also has a number of other rare moves that could help him have a fun moveset in SSBB: Extreme Speed, Bone Rush, Anticipate, High-Jump Kick, Blaze Kick and more.

In Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, the highest ranking available is the Lucario Rank, which is the only 4th generation pokemon feature in the game. In D/P, the 3rd gym leader and the elite 4 champion will use Lucario as part of their team.

So as you can see, Lucario already is one of the most significantly popular pokemon, and the game that he highlights in hasn't even been released to western shores yet. Given openings for pokemon in Brawl, Lucario is by far the best choice.

Known Moves:
Learned Moves:
— Dark Pulse 80 100 15 20 --May cause foe to flinch
— Quick Attack 40 100 30 --An extremely fast attack that always strikes first.
— Foresight -- -- 40 --Negates the foe's efforts to heighten evasiveness.
— Detect -- -- 5 --Evades attack, but may fail if used in succession.
— Metal Claw 50 95 35 10 A claw attack that may raise the user's ATTACK.
6 Counter ?? 100 20 -- Retaliates any physical hit with double the power.
11 Force Exert 60 100 10 30 --May induce paralysis
15 Anticipate 50 100 10 --Strikes first with foe's attack at 1.5 power
19 Bone Rush 25 80 10 Strikes the foe with a bone in hand 2 to 5 times.
24 Metal Sound -- 85 40 -- Emits a horrible screech that sharply lowers SP. DEF.
29 Feint -- -- 20 --Only works when foe uses Protect or Detect
33 Swords Dance -- -- 30 -- A fighting dance that sharply raises ATTACK.
37 Pulse Bomb 90 -- 20 --Cannot miss
42 In Fight 120 100 5 --Lowers user's DEFENSE and SP.DEF
47 Dragon Pulse 90 100 10 --No Added Affect
51 Extremespeed 80 100 5 -- An extremely fast and powerful attack.

TM & HM Attacks
TM/HM # Attack Name Type Cat. Att. Acc. PP Effect %
TM01 Focus Punch 150 100 20 -- A powerful loyalty attack. The user flinches if hit.
TM03 Water Pulse 60 100 20 20 Attacks with ultrasonic waves. May confuse the foe
TM04 Calm Mind -- -- 20 -- Raises SP. ATK and SP. DEF by focusing the mind.
TM05 Roar -- 100 20 -- Makes the foe flee to end the battle.
TM06 Toxic -- 85 10 -- Poisons the foe with an intensifying toxin.
TM08 Bulk Up -- -- 20 -- Bulks up the body to boost both ATTACK and DEFENSE.
TM10 Hidden Power ?? 100 15 -- The effectiveness varies with the user.
TM11 Sunny Day -- -- 5 -- Boosts the power of FIRE- type moves for 5 turns.
TM15 Hyper Beam 150 90 5 -- Powerful, but leaves the user immobile the next turn.
TM17 Protect -- -- 10 -- Evades attack, but may fail if used in succession.
TM18 Rain Dance -- -- 5 -- Boosts the power of WATER- type moves for 5 turns.
TM21 Frustration ?? 100 20 -- An attack that is stronger if the TRAINER is disliked.
TM23 Iron Tail 100 75 15 30 Attacks with a rock-hard tail. May lower DEFENSE.
TM26 Earthquake 100 100 10 -- A powerful quake, but has no effect on flying foes.
TM27 Return ?? 100 20 -- An attack that increases in power with friendship.
TM28 Dig 80 100 10 -- Digs underground the first turn and strikes next turn.
TM29 Psychic 90 100 10 10 A powerful psychic attack that may lower SP. DEF.
TM30 Shadow Ball 80 100 15 20 Hurls a black blob that may lower the foe's SP. DEF.
TM31 Brick Break 75 100 15 -- Destroys barriers such as REFLECT and causes damage.
TM32 Double Team -- -- 15 -- Creates illusory copies to raise evasiveness.
TM39 Rock Tomb 50 80 10 100 Stops the foe from moving with rocks and cuts SPEED.
TM42 Facade 70 100 20 -- Boosts ATTACK when burned, paralyzed, or poisoned.
TM43 Secret Power 70 100 20 30 An attack with effects that vary by location.
TM44 Rest -- -- 10 -- The user sleeps for 2 turns, restoring HP and status.
TM45 Attract -- 100 15 -- Makes the opposite gender less likely to attack.
TM52 Focus Bomb 120 70 5 10 --May lower foe's SP.DEF one stage
TM56 Hurl ?? 100 10 --Hurls out held item, power depends on hold item
TM58 Endure -- -- 10 -- Endures any attack for 1 turn, leaving at least 1HP.
TM59 Dragon Pulse 90 100 10 --No Added Affect
TM60 Drain Punch 60 100 5 --Recovers half the damage inflicted
TM65 Shadow Claw 70 100 15 --High critical hit ratio
TM66 Quick Revenge 50 100 10 --Power doubles if user takes damage first
TM68 Giga Attack 150 90 5 --User cannot attack next turn
TM71 Stone Edge 100 80 5 --High critical hit ratio
TM75 Swords Dance -- -- 30 -- A fighting dance that sharply raises ATTACK.
TM78 Entice -- 100 20 --Lowers opposite genders SP.DEF two stages
TM79 Dark Pulse 80 100 15 20 --May cause foe to flinch
TM80 Rock Slide 75 90 10 30Large boulders are hurled. May cause flinching.
TM82 Sleep Talk -- -- 10 -- Uses an own move randomly while asleep.
TM83 Nature Blessing ?? 100 15 --Power depends on held berry
TM84 Poison Stap 80 100 20 30 --May poison foe
TM87 Swagger -- 90 15 --Confuses the foe, but also sharply raises ATTACK.
TM90 Substitute -- -- 10 -- Creates a decoy using 1/4 of the user's maximum HP.
TM91 Luster Cannon 80 100 10 10 -- May lower foe's SP.ATT one stage
HM04 Strength 80 100 15 -- Builds enormous power, then slams the foe.
HM06 Rock Smash 40 100 15 50 A rock-crushing attack that may lower DEFENSE.
HM08 Rock Climb 90 85 20 20 --May induce confusion

Egg Moves
Attack Name Type Cat. Att. Acc. PP Effect %
Cross Chop 100 80 5 -- A double-chopping attack. High critical-hit ratio.
Detect -- -- 5 -- Evades attack, but may fail if used in succession.
Bite 60 100 25 30Bites with vicious fangs. May cause flinching.
Mind Reader -- -- 5 -- Senses the foe's action to ensure the next move's hit.
Sky Uppercut 85 90 15 -- An uppercut thrown as if leaping into the sky.
Hi Jump Kick 100 90 20 -- A jumping knee kick. If it misses, the user is hurt.
Agility -- -- 30 -- Relaxes the body to sharply boost SPEED.
Vacume Blade 40 100 30 -- Always strikes first (fighting)
Crunch 80 100 15 20 Crunches with sharp fangs. May lower SP. DEF.
Low Kick ?? 100 20 -- A kick that inflicts more damage on heavier foes.
Iron Defense -- -- 15 -- Hardens the body's surface to sharply raise DEFENSE.
Blaze Kick 85 90 10 10 A kick with a high critical- hit ratio. May cause a burn.
Palette Punch 40 100 30 -- Always strikes first (steel)

Base Stats:
[Lucario] 70 HP, 110 Attack, 70 Defence, 90 speed, 115 Special attack, 70 special defence, FIGHTING STEEL Types

Source: http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/9135/inbrawllucarioqa8.png

Brethren of the Lucario Shrine:
Kaid
Cinder
raphtmarqui
MysticKenji
CHAOSDRAGON88
Rex+
Lupo Aro
Ryu Phoenix
Blood_Hawk
platnum
Sariku.Uchiha
Commander Blitzkrieg
E-Z-MONEY
Boofer
The Dragon
Megablueblaster
Ferio_Kun
kemkian
IsmaR
Ca$hoholic
Tyrannotaur
VaneWalker
Patinator
Cenedar
Dark Meta-Knight
XACE-K
pokemon_legend
motsalogeL
shadenexus18
Akiak
Knyaguy

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I guess it was only a matter of time before a Lucario topic was made. I saw a much better Lucario plush doll at Japan town than the one you have in your post. It cost too much. Stupid Lucario.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
While I'm a very big Munchlax enthusiast, I'm also pro-Lucario. He'd make an AWESOME addition to the game and I'd be happy if either one of them was added.

Black/Light

Smash Master
THANX DUDE!!! Out of all the pokemon this is the only one I think HAS to be in brawl (Give me Lucario and K.Fox and IDC who else gets in. . . But I still want Blaziken and Deoxy too).

And I getting tired of people asking "WTH is a Lucario?" so Im going to post alil info on his background and movie. We really need to spread the word about him even thouth hes one of the top 3 choices for pokemon.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Also, great move set. But theres just one thing about it im not for. Its the Bdown: inner focus.

The way I see it, inner focus should be a counter were he closes his eyes and his "dreads" fly up. This means that he is using the wave to see what going on all around him so in that amount of time(it would last as long as Roy's) he could do his counter attack and send attacks/ projectiles flying back.(He could counter by doing a back hand slap because thats were his stikes are or something along those lines)

Thats my only thought right now but good work (^_^)!!!

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
Puffball64 said:
I'm all for Lucario. The best choice from any other Pokemon.
Quoted for truth.
From the other Pokemon that people suggest. Meowth is old and a small cute Pokemon, which we have enough. Deoxys is a Psychic pokemon like Mewtwo (I still want Deoxys, but Lucario comes first). What we need for Brawl is a freaking fighting type. So here is my Pokemon for SSBB list in order:
-LUCARIO
-Deoxys
-Blaziken
-Munchlax
-Meowth

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
*recites gibberish prayer*

About time somebody started a Lucario topic. The Pokemon's practically one of my choices for the Brawl roster. He's pretty recognizable for a Pokemon from a generation that hasn't even been fully released yet.

I'll CRY if he's not in the Brawl roster.

ilabb

Smash Apprentice
Lucario's pretty much my #1 pick right now, I hope he makes it.

GenG

Smash Lord
It's between Lucario or Deoxys. Munchlax, Blaziken and those random Pokémon aren't enough epic nor popular. Deoxys for being a suggestion with many creative paths to choose for his play style, and Lucario for being so Smash-friendly.

Lucario is pretty agile, a steel/fighting combination that can make use of psychic moves, think about a Fox + Mewtwo combo. His catchphrase: "The wave is within me!" (was somehing like that I suppose, it kick *** in japanese).

Black/Light

Smash Master
^^^It was that. That could be like his tunt or something. He could close his eyes, make his dreads fly up and say "The wave is in me!", then raise a hand and have a tiny point of blue light flash above it.

(Just some random thought (^_^) )

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
The new pokemon all suck! They started to get so bad after Gold and Silver. The 4th batch is gonna be even crappier than the 3rd. If there is another pokemon, it should be Deoxsis cuz he's hardcore.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
The Endure move is one of the most unique I've seen on a fan-made moveset. Well done.

Most of the time, I'm happy that nobody on this forum has any part in making the game. But every once in a while, like now, I wish we were involved. :p

Black/Light

Smash Master
Super Smash Master said:
Lucario reminds me of the fake pokemon I used to draw when I was seven.

Stop haten on Lucario, if you dont like him then STF^ or. . . heres a good idea, don't come to his shrine.

kaid

Smash Master
Black/Light said:
Also, great move set. But theres just one thing about it im not for. Its the Bdown: inner focus.

The way I see it, inner focus should be a counter were he closes his eyes and his "dreads" fly up. This means that he is using the wave to see what going on all around him so in that amount of time(it would last as long as Roy's) he could do his counter attack and send attacks/ projectiles flying back.(He could counter by doing a back hand slap because thats were his stikes are or something along those lines)

Thats my only thought right now but good work (^_^)!!!
From Serebii.net:
Lucario
Ability: Inner Focus (Prevents Flinching)

It sounded EXACTLY like what I was doing with Endure, and it's a known ability of Lucario. Note that you can drop it at any time and counter with a jab or Wave blast... it's much more flexible than Counter, in exchange for not actually stopping %.

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
Ewwww that thing looks nasty. It's a perfect reminder of why I quit playing Pokemon after GS.

Phlippie

Smash Cadet
Yea, Lucario would be cool as a character. He can fit in the game more than Blaziken

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
I was kinda hoping for something more unique and original than yet another bi-pedal martial art fighter. What will be his niche? We already have Fox for super fast martial arts. We already have Captain Falcon for fast mobility but attacks with lag martial arts. We already have Shiek (or if Shiek's removed, perhaps ZS Samus instead) for super fast ninja martial arts. We already have Falco for... fall-like-a-rock martial arts, and technically Ganondorf for sheer power martial arts (although admittingly he'll probably be revamped into a magic/sword user or so. Whatever he has in Twilight Princess).

And technically, we have Mario for balanced martial arts, really (except with a fireball instead of a hadouken). With alternative variants in that style via Luigi and Dr. Mario.

What kind of unique niche or playstyle for martial arts could Lucario possibly fill that would remain true to him while being different from all the other bipedal martial artists in Smash Brothers? I'm pretty sure with 40+ characters (if Brawl has that much), Sakurai will want to make the new characters as NEW (IE, unique) as possible in playstyle. In that regard we have:

Meta Knight: He flies AND he has a sword (and he combos like crazy with it). NO other character so far has those traits within the same character.

Pit: He flies AND he's (probably) projectile based AND he dual wields. Again, no character has that combination of traits.

Snake: Stealth martial arts with bombs? Eh, even Sakurai doesn't know what Snake will do exactly yet but you can bet it'll be crazily different from everyone else.

Zero Suit Samus: If Shiek's gone, she'll possibly be the new hyper fast ninja-acrobatics martial artist. Even if she isn't that, she has a whip. Of course, Shiek has a whip too, which again is why she might replace Shiek in that niche. But EITHER WAY whether she does or not, again, she'll have a niche that no one else has.

Even proposed characters like Ridley can lay a claim to fame by being able to fly AND be huge at the same time (again, a combination of traits no one else currently has). Or Captain Olimar who's playstyle could primarily be based around summoning Pikmen to do his fighting for him (there aren't any "summoner" type characters in Smash to my knowledge. ...or in any fighting game, even. Playstyles that are unheard of in even fighting games is just the type of thing Sakurai is looking for, given how much he likes Ice Climbers).

IMHO, the ONLY thing I've seen so far in this thread that's even remotely unique about Lucario right now that would stand out as a complete playstyle difference is if he gets that Endure/Inner Focus move (which is also a move that IMHO seems a bit too technical for the non-expert majority of Smash Players, given that I'm pretty sure Sakurai wants the game to be more accessible to newbies). Everything else about him doesn't seem like it'll be significantly different enough to separate him from the HUGE array and variety of martial artist playstyles that already exist in Smash. And I'd like to think that with Sakurai going all out, he's going to go for characters who are more unique in playstyle due to more than just one move.

He's not even really unique when it comes to looks, really (at least, in my opinion). He kinda looks like any other generic bi-pedal furry (non-sexual) martial artist to me, and we already have Fox and Falco for that, let alone Krystal or Wolf if they make it.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
The way I see it, he's a Pokemon. Pokemon are generally known for longer airtimes, although we haven't seen it up to now.

What could work is this:

Lucario is fast, especially when jumping. He would have 1337 ninja jumping skills, meaning, a fast jump. Also, he would then float a bit in the air like a ninja. In exchange for that, his second jump is less high, maybe even less high than the other characters. The second jump is also fast, but doesn't have the float like his first jump, and generally he would then just fall.

He would also have some 1337 air moves, which causes him to stay in the air some longer, kind of like how Jigglypuff manages to move in the air quickly by >A-ing. He however has a slower recovery time with such moves in order to prevent him from being too 1337.

Basically, his jump is like a ninja, which is unique for even a brawl character. And he would have walljump, to make him extra-1337.

Also, Inner Focus doesn't even sound as complicated as Jigglypuff's rest. Hell, most people don't even know that Rest is the 1337357 skill in Smash ever.

Abhorsen

Smash Cadet
Lucario is one pokemon character which I wouldnt mind having included. The only reasons I can see why he wouldnt is that there is such limited information on him compared to every other non-4th generation pokemon. Diamond and Pearl havent even been released, nor have more than 15-20 pokemon been released from the 4th generation.

I guess that Brawl is coming out in 2007 and D/P is coming out in a few months, so I guess Lucario is possible. I still dont think Blaziken is such a bad idea, moveset wouldnt be too difficult.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
I think Rest is only complicated in 1 vs 1. I have surprising success with spamming it RANDOMLY like a newbie in Free For Alls (of which I'm sure a lot of Smash Bros' artistic direction is based around)

Doesn't Shiek's jump work like that (complete with wall jump)? Although Shiek doesn't have many moves that allow her to hang onto airtime. Still, I was kinda hoping that Sakurai would be more... ambitious than just a few altered properties like air time (or falling like a rock or extra weight/power etc) and such (which is why I think there probably won't be any clones this time around. Or at least, clones PLANNED for the game this time around, although of course, just like last time, Sakurai might slap them in at the last moment to expand the roster if time is running out)

It's just that assuming Sakurai wants to throw everything including the kitchen sink out there when it comes to insanely wacky and unique playstyles (because with so many characters already in Smash, you can bet that Sakurai REALLY wants any new ones to stand out like CRAZY) Lucario needs to really stand out in order to beat out the likes of obscenely different characters like "huge fat flyers" (Ridley, Dedede) or summoners (Olimar) or... well, I suppose there aren't THAT many crazy unique playstyles out there (otherwise, they wouldn't be crazy and unique) which is why Lucario gets a good chance of getting in regardless, but it still seems kinda dissappointing that the biggest differentiating differences for Lucario would simply be things only Smash Experts would be able to tell the difference with like air time and a very technical "counter" move.

Of course, Sakurai could always think of MORE for Lucario (this is the same guy who's intending to going to make Wario, a guy that most people think of as just nothing more than a stronger Mario, into an extremely SPAZZTASTIC Wario Ware gameplay-type character), although whatever that MORE is, I'm certainly stumped! And kinda hoping Sakurai prioritizes other more differentiated characters more first (which he seems to be doing already, at least, as pointed out by the confirmed new characters).

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Tiamat said:
I think Rest is only complicated in 1 vs 1. I have surprising success with spamming it RANDOMLY like a newbie in Free For Alls (of which I'm sure a lot of Smash Bros' artistic direction is based around)
With complicated, I mean not many know about it. And there are other moves which not many know how to work with. For example, Peach' counter, or Mario's cape counter. Lucario's "counter" could be an easy to learn move by those standards.

Tiamat said:
Doesn't Shiek's jump work like that (complete with wall jump)? Although Shiek doesn't have many moves that allow her to hang onto airtime. Still, I was kinda hoping that Sakurai would be more... ambitious than just a few altered properties like air time (or falling like a rock or extra weight/power etc) and such (which is why I think there probably won't be any clones this time around. Or at least, clones PLANNED for the game this time around, although of course, just like last time, Sakurai might slap them in at the last moment to expand the roster if time is running out)
It's not just the airtime, it's a way higher jump. Lucario would have one and a half higher jump than many other characters, making him a powerful first-jumper.

Just have faith in everything. Lucario can stand out, the same way Mewtwo did.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
...I'm not sure if Mewtwo is the best example to use :) Oh, to many casual non-expert and even many expert players, Mewtwo certainly "stood out", all right. Ah, comedy gold, those memories of all my friends going "Holy crap, this guy SUCKS" whenever they tried him out for the first time.

At any rate, it's not so much that Lucario wouldn't be different (he definately would be different) so much as he wouldn't be SUPER DIFFERENT. I (and I'm sure Sakurai too) am hoping for a roster where a random person at a party could look at a character and that character instantly stands out in both looks and playstyle to even him right off the bat. Characters who will make their eyes bug out at the sheer insanity of it all with the "Holy crap" factor (er, not including the "holy crap" factor I mentioned for Mewtwo above, of course). Given that there are plenty of characters in Smash already that run a huge gamut of playstyles, any new ones really REALLY should make a person scream "This is INSANE!" the moment they see them making them feel like they were Toys R' Us kids again that never grew up, not just "I like this character because he jumps higher and has more air time" and other stuff that while very important from a technical and tournament standpoint, just doesn't have that much OOMPH.

Maybe thinking more in-depth about the new confirmed characters and all the wacky possibilities made my standards too high, I guess (although on the bright side, they're standards that I'm reasonably certain Sakurai's going to aspire to, as well).

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
How about higher air time and fast air combo's? Because that's what ninja's do. Exploding B-attacks (especially cool in the air), fast punches with low recovery to compensate. Just take a look at certain characters, like a certain custom class in Soul Calibur 3. You can jump in the air and throw exploding crap at somebody. Lucario surely has some attacks which leave some explosions, which is by the way actually typical for the anime, yet they don't implement it in, while explosions are the cool.

Also, high jumping on your first jump can be a good strategy. For example, if you need the air combat, you won't need to double jump first. Also, because of the longer airtime, you can take a short breath before going postal on your opponents. Also think of attacks which could propel yourself a little, giving you a chance to get faster to another place, without the use of wave-dashing. However, because of the nature of most of his moves (slow recovery) you can only do this two or three times before hitting the ground.

Also, it is almost certain Lucario can do moves which haven't been used on SSB so far, or who don't look even remotely similar to existing moves.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't Falcon have moves that leave explosions, too? Granted, none of them are projectiles, but the explosive effects are still there.

That second paragraph all has to do with technical stuff. Technically, EVERY character can be technically analyzed for what makes a good strategy and all. Which is why when it comes down to extreme technicalness, Fox is different from Falco, and even Pichu is different from Pikachu. Again, my main point isn't that Lucario wouldn't be different. He definately would be! I'm just dissappointed in that he wouldn't be SUPER DIFFERENT in ways that make people go "Holy cow!" like all of the new characters in the trailor probably will be. There just isn't that "I MUST PLAY AS HIM NOW NOW NOW NOW" salivating drooling crazed lust feeling that comes from wanting to try something so obscenely different and new that it's... well, obscenely different and new (or I suppose in cases of some particularly nostalgic characters, obscenely different and "old". ...and new at the same time, like Ice Climbers).

...although it'd be hilarious if he could summon a HUGE ki ball of doom to slam onto the stage for a Super Smash Attack. Then again, Mewtwo could probably do something like that for a Super Smash Attack anyways (heck, EVERYONES' super smash attacks should look obscenely wonderful anyways, really)

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Tiamat said:
Doesn't Falcon have moves that leave explosions, too? Granted, none of them are projectiles, but the explosive effects are still there.
Not only that, he's not a Pokemon. No other Pokemon has the ability to do boom.
toasty4you said:
Is Lucario a pokemon? In that case, no I don't like this idea. I'm sorry *both thumbs pointing down*.
Expect both of these dumbs up yours.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
GaryCXJk said:
Not only that, he's not a Pokemon. No other Pokemon has the ability to do boom.
But... I'm sure Smash Bros.' roster isn't about which Pokemon are different from each other. It's about which characters are different from each other.

kaid

Smash Master
The only really "unique" styles in Melee are Peach (floating), Iceclimbers (double team), Kirby/Jigs (multible jumps), Yoshi/Ness/Mewtwo (DJC) and Samus/Link (projectile options).

And M2's shadowball makes orange explosions whenever it hits a wall/floor.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Yea, Melee didn't have many unique styles. But it did have many niches for the most part, especially with the clones expanding on those. Normally, Lucario MIGHT (I say MIGHT) have been able to sorta have his own niche among all the martial art niches already in the game, but I have the feeling that Sakurai is going to try for something MUCH BIGGER with BRAWL, which is why he talked about revamping the characters and why all the newcomers shown so far are generally different playstyles you can begin to envision at a mere glance of a trailor (as opposed to things like Lucario's air time which really can't be spotted right off the bat at a glance except with actual play)

This time for Brawl, I have a feeling that Sakurai wants as many characters (or maybe just as many new characters, but even some of the old ones he'll likely try to revamp) as possible to differentiate at LEAST the same amount that Peach and Ice Climbers do. He's just been giving out an extreme air of ambition with so many of his posts to me.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Finally a Pokemon suggestion topic that's worth a look.

I prefer Lucario over any electric rat. I also like the fact he's not another one of those cute/ugly Pokemon that the series has too much of.

kaid

Smash Master
well, a heavy flyer (Ridley), a fast, small heavyweight (Lucario is a 4' Steel type, after all), Olimar as a summoner, Bowser Jr. with a USABLE transformation, Balloon Fighter...

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
How could you possibly balance a "fast small heavyweight"? He's fast. He's small (and thus hard to hit). He's a heavyweight (and thus withstands a lot even if you DO manage to hit him despite him being fast and small).

Unless they made him complete crap at something like recovery and even then I don't think that'd balance it out (since Yoshi is neither fast nor a heavyweight yet he has crap for recovery, so how could he have a prayer against someone who's fast and a heavyweight despite also having crap for recovery?). Giving him extreme lag on his moves seems against his character since he's supposed to be a skilled martial artist and skilled martial artists don't lag (that's why they're skilled. That and it'd be unfair to Falcon, who's fast and heavy weight but laggy but NOT small)

kaid

Smash Master
Perhaps I should define my terms. "Falco" fast, Bigger than Pikachu but smaller than M2, and about as heavy as link or Samus

Black/Light

Smash Master
kaid said:
Perhaps I should define my terms. "Falco" fast, Bigger than Pikachu but smaller than M2, and about as heavy as link or Samus

Isn't Fox alil taller than 4'? He could be alil shorter/ same hight as Fox which doesn't really make him "small" (around mid sized).

And he could be more around Roy's heavyness. . . alil bit heavyer(Link heavy seems about right thouht).

Tiamat, I didn't read some of your more recent post but there are 1000s of completely different "martial art" fighting styles so it would not be hard to find one for Lucario. He seems like he could have a good ninja like fighting style and im very much sure that they could make him different to Shiek( IF shes coming back. . .we still don't know).

Also, with all the "martial artist" fighters in SSBM none of them are pokemon. We need at least ONE fighting type pokemon and he fits the bill. And plus, we don't even know all of his attacks yet so they could be what sets him apart from the rest in brawl(Many people, like me, have seen the movie and he only used the wave balls as his attacks).

Top Bottom