• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Solid Snake Discussion Thread

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135

The legendary mercenary makes his miraculous Smash debut! This law-breaking news roared around the world.

He comes fully loaded with cool and showy weapons that only he could possess. Couple them with these different worlds, and it will clear a path to new horizons.

<Snake: Special Moves>

It’s not just Snake’s special moves that use ordnance—so do his Smash attacks. Can that be?

He’s shooting something up in the air!

He’s planting something!

<Side Special Move: Remote Missile>

This is called a Nikita. It’s a remote-controlled missile.

Missile fired!

You can control the missile yourself! But since Snake is so focused on controlling the missile, he’s completely defenseless while he does so.

If things get dangerous, press the shield button to stop controlling the missile.

<Standard Special Move: Hand Grenade>

Press your special-move button to pull out the pin. The grenade will explode after a few seconds, so be aware of the time and press the special-move button again to toss the grenade.

Strong throw!

Mid throw!

Soft throw!

There are three ways to throw the grenade.
Tilt the Control Stick forward, not at all, or backward.

In some cases, grenades you drop may get returned to sender.

And his recovery special move is...

<Up Special Move: Cypher>

Oh! Watch out! In times like this...

Shoosh-shoosh-shoosh-shoosh-shoosh!

Use his flying reconnaissance camera, the Cypher, to recover. Snake can’t fly, but he’ll do what he must.

He’ll use anything in the battlefield. That’s the crux of survival.

Snake: Final Smash

<Grenade Launcher>

Snake’s Final Smash is the Grenade Launcher.

What is he calling in...?

Suddenly he does a great jump!

Choppa-choppa-choppa!

Snake grabs the rope ladder the helicopter drops and takes out his grenade launcher!

So, the thing to do is shoot, right?

Poom! Poom! Poom!

You control the targeting reticule and press the attack button to fire grenades one at a time. There are six rounds, and when you run out...

He loads a new clip? How can that be?

It ends when you shoot 12 rounds or run out of time. Snake then climbs back up to return to battle.

Yep. He makes his exit.

It’s probably better to just shoot all your rounds rather than run out of time leaving ammo behind...but if you just shoot indiscriminately, your shots may be dodged.

When there are two or more enemies, it might be a good idea to hit one as he is being attacked by the other, or something along those lines.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Pit 42 said:
That's pretty cool. By the way, is the Twin Snakes better than the original?
You could say that but I heard that the voice-acting was better in the original (especially the Cyborg Ninja).

Stryks

Smash Hero
His super could be a Metal Gear appearing behind me, the MG wants to kill Snake dodges, and the attacks hits someone else... cant really think of something else

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
that is actually pretty good. i like it.

i didn't see snake use a jet pack so his up b would be some form of acrobatic move.

i didn't put a up b attack so you guys could give me ideas, cause i couldn't think of one. someone need to think of a attacks. i want to see how snake would work.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
colbusman said:
i just recently bought and finished Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes and started thinking of a moveset for snake.

a-punches with right hand
aa-punches with right then left hand
aaa-punches with right, left, then does a spinning kick
run a-tackle

b-grenade
b>-Striker (rocket launcher)
bdown-box (similar to kirby's stone) or c4/claymore mines

super-does a barrage of acrobatic moves that baffle you when seen. you will say "holy crap, that was awesome!!" when finished.

that is as good as i can get it. when i get into more detail i will try to finish the moveset, or you guys could help. just keep in mind he is very acrobatic, so backflips and spinning body movements could work.

EDIT:i hope that they have David Hayter for the voice of snake. it would sound awesome with that low pissed off voice he has.

aaa- punch punch kick from MGS2

dash attack - Dash attack from MGS2

grab - Choke position
grab attack - choke

down throw - body slam from MGS3

icymatt

Smash Lord
I am of the belief that Snake's upB should be launching himself upward with a rocket launcher.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
hey with snake in here, do you think we will see long cutscenes where it is possible to go to japan and meet Hideo Kojima before it is over? lol

back on topic, why wouldn't snake have a recovery. he isn't like yoshi or jiggy where they have an uber long 2nd. snake will probably have like a backflip kick for his recovery, or something like that.

Stryks

Smash Hero
He needs a recovery, I myself dont know much of the MGS series, but doubt he has a jet pack, not his style, and like the other guy said dount he will have a 2nd jump like yoshi or something, the backflip kick aint such of a bad idea.

FoulQ

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised Snake's moveset isn't discussed more.

Maybe for the special he could summon the cyborg ninja dude and he would make cuts all across the screen (like actually on the screen), and it would damage everyone on there.

Also, I think that maybe Snake should have his nikita rocket launcher from mgs2, which you can guide. Hehe, I remember guiding that through the airvents...fun times...

But that is just speculation. It might be too much like a Samus missile then.

Also, I don't think his box should neccesarily be his roll, maybe like his shield or something. Thinking of a "box move" would be hard. What can you really do with a box? You could make him have invincibility with the box for a split second, but that might be incredibly cheap and probably stupid.

Maybe they will incorporate something from Guns of the Patriots in SSBB, but I really doubt that, considering it is a PS3 exclusive (If I'm wrong, correct me, because I think I might be).

UpB would be difficult to program...they could make something like Captain Falcon's where he grabs the guy and pwns them...but that would be a little too unoriginal. That cyborg ninja could come out super-fast and toss him up, as in throw him...but that is boring too.

Finally, Snake should be able to use his cigs to see invisibility, although they would drain his health just a tad :)

(But not really, because that would be a waste of a B attack. It would still be cool, though.)

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
would snake have any moves from metal gear games not on a nintendo console? you guys are posting moves from mgs2, which was never released on a nintendo console. i think it should stick with the original metal gear games for the nes, or moves from mgs:ttt

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Hideo Kojima can do what he wants. He never really had any non-weapon moves in the old MGS.

Remember, Sony doesn't own Hideo's soul, so he is free to rip moves straight from
the PS2 disc which HE OWNS THE RIGHTS TO.

Moves being on PS2 are not a reason for them not to be included.
Hideo created them, not Sony.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
well, that is how i infer it. sakurai states "must be on a nintendo console" so i see that moves also must of been on the nintendo console. you do have a good point. sony does not own kojima's soul.

but the moves everyone has shown are the exact same i see in the twin snakes though. i want someone to go into more detail, not just b moves. i want to see a good list of air moves, throws, and regular a attacks.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
Well lucky you colbusman I just so happen to have a move set I've made over at the IGN boards for you :) I'm going to clean up some of the grammer because I was half asleep at the time.

Well here's my Snake Moveset

A-Quick Jab-3-4
AA-Second Jab-3
AAA-roundhouse-4
Running A-duck and roll -8
A->-Long reaching side kick-7-8
A/\-Axe kick similar to C.Falcons up A-10
A\/-Sweeping punch-9-11
Smash->-punch with explosive in hand-Uncharged-13 Charged-17-18
Smash/\-throw grenade up and it explodes-Uncharged-14-16 Charged-20-22
Smash\/-Sweeping Kick-Uncharged-10-11 Charged-17-19

Air A-Spinning kick-7-8
Air->-Meteor Smash-Downward elbow smash-13-14
Air<--Double back kick-5 per kick
Air/\-Backflip kick-10-13
Air\/-Downward flying kick-9-10

Grab A-choke-3-4
Throw /\-Mid-air grenade toss-9-10
Throw->-Roundhouse kick -6-8
Throw<--Suplex-7-9
Throw\/-throw down like it MGS3-8-11
_____
b moves from some other guy at IGN.com Boards
B-Stun Grenade-A grenade that puts enemies into a daze-can be aimed-3-4
<>B-Nikita Missle-Launces a missle that slowly homes in on the enemy-14-18
/\B-Jet Pack Boost-Snake boosts up at an angle and floats back down10-13
\/B-Sticky bomb-Snake sticks a bomb on the ground or an enemy in front of him.Can be detonated by pressing \/B again-9-11
Super-Attacks all enemies onscreen using Metal Gear-25-30 each

I like most of his moves, damage aside. what you can't get a feel for is HOW he will play.
Snake should be fast on the ground but slow in the air. most of his moves should be submissive and drop the opponent directly on the ground around him without being able to tech out of it right away (maybe). he should have moves that make him hard to hit when he is in control of the situation, but force him to back off imidiatly in a head to head smashing situation.

Most of snakes B moves should not be able to be used in succession (no spamm'n) but he can still do complimentary A moves. This way he can't spamm projectiles and stay far away. but he can blast one off in the fray with little lag afterwards and bust out the A moves. A small amount of time must pass before snake can use that B move again. Perhaps a small comfermation sound (like the changing wepons click/clunk in MGS) to let you know the move can be used again.

^B - nikita missle! (someone else had this idea..I feel less creative :( ) if he is in the air you press ^B and by default he will shoot strait down and get a boost from the rocket (think anti pikathunder). you can change what direction he goes by pressing in the direction you want snake to go (or which way to shoot the missle. whichever you prefure at this point) if you are on the ground and you do ^B he will shoot a slower then in the air ^B that flys foward maybe this could be player controlled untill they release the b button and it continues in that direction gaining speed. Time before snake can do it again- 4 seconds

this sound like the best option for ^B and I'll be surprised by what they decide on if it dosn't involve the missile in some way.

VB- smoke grenade! send a flash of smoke around you that makes seeing your next move near impossible. use this time to place an explosive wink I think it should act as a sheild breaker and also add a dodge effect the moment you use it. In this way if the enemy shoots a samus blast at you do down be and you will dodge the blast if you time it right. area effect of the smoke should be...maybe two or three ganondorfs width and last 2 seconds untill completely gone. startup lag- 5 frames. end lag - 5 frames. time before snake can do it again - 4 seconds.

>B - I'm not sure on this one. some form of explosive (that throws like the tell tail grenade throws in MGS)or trank gun.

grenade. simply a grenade throw with distance determind by time holding >B. hold it down to long and it explodes in your hand (just for fun lOL ) it wont bounce off the enemy or their sheild and will instead bounce once or twice and land on the ground sending a blast around its location. I think it should have a tendency to blast the enemy upwards so that snake can get underneath them. time before snake can do it again - 4 seconds.

trank gun. he fires forward with a little wimpy nonthreatening gun that fires a nigh invisible dart of sleepiness. quick fire time and long lag. think falco lazer but a bit longer delay between shots, but NOT actions. If it hits the enemy they should become sluggish. maybe slowing them down slightly in their attacks (but not sheilds dodges and evades). if snake shoots them often enough they will fall asleep for 2 seconds. Also I think if the opponent has been stunned (alah mewtwo)or sheild broke snake can shoot them and they stay asleep much longer. time before snake can do it again - 2 second.

B- sticky bombs placing them on the opponent and smashing them off the stage and THEN detonating the explosives! I can see some original game play with this happy it could also be used as a deturent to edgeguarding. Place it on the edge and if the enemy hits you off and stands near the edge blast them with that explosive they forgot. I guess if they are on the ground they should be able to be detonated by damage to...maybe (I like deactivating them if they get hurt to much better though ) time before snake can do it again - 6 seconds.

Unknown to me snake had a similar move to this in Dream Mix TV: World Fighters so chances of this are ether really high (because they thought of it as well) or really low (if they want to do something different)

snakes shield should be his box. his shield should be the only one that you can walk while active. You can't pierce it (if he is standing still) and it wont break over time but it will degrade with hits rapadly (maybe twice as fast as other fighters.) this way he can walk around in the box and stay that way and obsorb hits untill his box breaks (in MGS fasion with it falling around him and it "flashing" away around him)

Let me know what you think of this. I'm rather inpressed with what I could come up with and can't wait to see him in the game!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i like the moveset in some areas. the areas i don't like are these-

up b-i don't think snake would use some type of gadget as his recovery. if you have ever played and mgs game, he is very acrobatic, so his up b should be a backflip kick. it makes sense for snake.

aaa-again, doesn't fit snake for his games. in metal gear solid, snake punched with his right hand, then his left, then did a spinning kick. that should be his regular a attacks.

throw < and >-you took these from Leon S. Kennedy! for shame. i think when snake would grab them, his back throw would be him swinging the foe around and kicking him back. his forward throw would have snake kick him in the shin, which makes the character do a flip, then snake quickly kicks him again.

damage wise, up b would do 8-13%, aaa would go from 2%-10%, and his throws deal 12% and 15%.

Ryu777

Smash Ace
I think I have a pretty good I dea for a B-up. If you've played twin snakes, do you remember when Liquid fires the missle at you while he's in the chopper? If you do then you'll remember that snake does some matrix $hit: He jumps, lands on the missle, uses it to spring hjimself even higher, then shoots down the chopper using his rocket launcher.

I imagine the mvoe in smash being like this: sort of like CF's, but rather than grabbing if he hits with the attack, he will spring off of the opponent. This will give snake more air and he can do the B-up again AND the opponent he hits will be meteored.

Tetsuwan_Geno

Smash Rookie
On the Pacific 'Ring of Fire'. Yay, volcanoes!
Perhaps his down-B should be the box. He could hide in it, and so long as he remains so be invulnerable to ranged attacks. It would be like Fox and Falco's shield, only instead of reflecting, he'll let them pass by. Just a thought, though so long as that box is included I really don't care how.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
colbusman said:
up b-i don't think snake would use some type of gadget as his recovery. if you have ever played and mgs game, he is very acrobatic, so his up b should be a backflip kick. it makes sense for snake.
Yes, at least one character on which the backflip works!

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
He could not have a recovery move withhis up B like Yoshi and they could add another attack, although I wouldn't be for this.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
I think his taunt should be an exclamation point over his head, or the codec could pop up over him.

rock_in_reo

Smash Apprentice
tasmania, australia... i think... i hope... i beli
yeah there are lots of differnet possibilites for taunts/poses, like things including exclamation mark/ codec (zombie cola), his cigars, metal gears, rations... too many

and y are people saying he shouldn't have moves from MGS2, because his graphical style is of that of MGS2, not MGS1 or a re-made 2d version.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i still do not believe his recovery will involve weapons in any way. he does unbelievable things in his games, so his recovery has to involve something acrobatic.

but i really want to know what his taunt will be. like roci in reo said, there are so many possibilities.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
I personally think it will be some kind of spinning acrobatic move, similiar to fox's down b.

GenG

Smash Lord
Just a point: Sakurai had an interview with Kojima in his own radio blog (Hidechan! Radio), where he said that he was having trouble with Snake's air game, because Snake doesn't jump in his games and there is little to none material of his air game other from the games. In thisi matter, he also said that the B^ move was indeed troublesome, because he doesn't have a full idea of the character strengths in Brawl: Ground dominance and crappy air? Air dominance? Good or bad recovery? Acrobatics moves? And trying to make a B^suited for him without being stupid or too exaggerated.

Crom

Smash Journeyman
Someone mentioned earlier his ^B could be him firing a rocket down to propel him up. That sounds pretty badass. Acrobatic move would be good, CF jump grab would be good, Jet Pack would not be good, doesnt fit him at all... uhh.. Maybe it could be something like peach's ^B, except with a parachute, kinda like when big boss did the halo jump in the beggining of MGS3. Also a >B Stinger missile could be used to propel him in a certain direction to help his recovery. Though unlikely, my 2 favorite possibilites for his recovery would be propeling himself up with a rocket and the parachute.

It seems like everyone is in agreement with his 3 hit A combo, his CQC choke grab / throws, and his dash roll attack, those are easy. The best possible taunt he could have would be a version from his taunt in MGS3 Subsitence, basicaly with a cigarette instead of a cigar, but thats also the most unlikely since they were specified they would not add in real guns. Another good one though would be his box, since that pretty much has no place in real combat, or maybe a salute.

\/B Claymore mine, camo, or magazine (could stun them), >B Stinger Missle, regB Grenade, then all his of his smash attacks/ tilts/ and airgame could just be various, badass punches and kicks. And finaly, his special.. Metal Gear coming out or a huge combo would probably be the best options.

Top Bottom